Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Jets

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    With Brett Favre trade unlikely, Chad Pennington's armed for the job
    By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 12:47 PM

Weissman for News

Chad Pennington is looking like Jets' No. 1 quarterback - so long as a certain No. 4 doesn't land in Hempstead.
    Three days into training camp, the Jets' quarterback competition has evolved into a three-way battle:

Chad Pennington vs. Kellen Clemens vs. the specter of Brett Favre.

Pennington is beating Clemens soundly, but everything could change with one phone call - a call that hasn't happened, and may never happen.

The Jets haven't removed themselves from the Favre sweepstakes, the Daily News has learned, but several sources yesterday described the team's chances of acquiring him as unlikely.

As of last night, the Jets, with permission from the Packers to speak with Favre, still hadn't contacted the future Hall of Famer. A person close to Favre, quoted by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, said a trade to the Jets was "doubtful."

The Buccaneers also remain linked to Favre, but they're playing it coy. They also received permission from the Packers to speak with him, but they have yet to do so, according to a Bucs source.

The Favre soap opera, which has gripped Green Bay, Tampa and New York, has reached a lull. The next move apparently belongs to Favre, who reportedly told the Packers he's planning to report to training camp. But, as of yesterday, the retired quarterback still had not applied for reinstatement with the NFL.

Meanwhile, Favre's presence was felt everywhere at Jets camp, which entered Day 2 of Brett Watch. Pennington, realizing he can't compete with an invisible legend, acknowledged his days in New York would be over if the Jets somehow pulled off the trade.

"Yeah, absolutely, that's definitely a possibility," Pennington told The News after the morning practice at Hofstra. "Shoot, ever since last year" - when he was benched - "it's always been in limbo. I've kind of grown accustomed to it over the past year."

Clemens received a heavy dose of the Favre factor. When he sailed a pass out of bounds, a fan yelled, "We want Favre." Clemens fumbled a snap near the goal line and was forced to take a penalty lap around the field, but he lucked out. As he ran past the packed bleachers, there was loud music blaring from the sideline speakers, sparing him a dose of verbal abuse.

"You have to protect the football," Eric Mangini said later to reporters, chiding Clemens. "The snap is the most basic play in football."

Adhering to the organization's tight-lipped approach, Mangini refused again to comment on the Favre reports. He seemed almost annoyed when the topic was raised in his daily news conference.

Pennington insisted he isn't bothered by the speculation, although he admitted harboring fleeting thoughts of requesting a trade.

"I'd be lying if I said those emotions never come up. They do," he said, quickly adding that he "absolutely" wants to remain a Jet.

"To me, the best scenario would be for me to finish my career as a Jet," he said. "In this league, with so much change, to say you played for one team, it's quite an accomplishment."

After a slow start, Pennington has looked sharp in recent practices, seemingly showing more velocity than in the past. He'll never have a big arm, but he tweaked his mechanics in the offseason, and maybe he is starting to see the dividends. He ended the morning practice with a 68-yard touchdown pass to Brad Smith.

Pennington is so determined to improve his mechanics that he holds clandestine throwing sessions at night. On Thursday, around 8:30, he repaired to a practice field and fired 40 passes to a couple of staffers. He threw until it was dark.

Ever the perfectionist, Pennington said he is still "not as consistent as I want to be." But he remains a fan favorite.

As he signed autographs after practice, he was drawn into a conversation about Favre. Pennington, in a playful mood, reminded the fans that he kicked Favre's butt the last time he faced the Packers - a 38-10 victory at Lambeau Field in 2006. His audience laughed.

"And it was 31-0 at halftime," Pennington said, smiling at the memory.
    There it is
    Last edited by dw13; 07-28-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Rotisserie Fantasy Addict All-Star PMStick's Avatar
    ...great another year of getting laughed at for wearing my Jets gear...PENNINGTON CAN'T THROW A FOOTBALL HOW DO CHOOSE A QUARTERBACK THAT CAN'T THROW AGAINST NFL DEFENSES? I can't believe the Jets have not spent more time taking care of this issue which will boil over this year...they traded up during the 2007 NFL draft and I was swearing when they didn't draft Brady Quinn. We need a fuckin quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes dimensions away from the offense making it predictable...it's gonna be a long season of three-and-outs. All the talent in the world doesn't matter when your D is always on the field because your offense is getting snubbed all the time...Leon Washington returning punts and kickoffs will be our best chance of scoring of offense?? When teams have shit years they make adjustments...I couldn't stand watching them play into the hands of defenses last year under Pennington...teams easily made adjustments knowing well he wasn't going deep. Same thing?

Awful, 3-13 awful. Lowest point total in the NFL awful.

I hope I eat this post later but I sincerely do not like what is being put on the field.
    Last edited by PMStick; 07-28-2008 at 03:18 PM.

HOCKEY 10-Team Yahoo Roto 1-Man Keeper (2 Rounds Before Draft Spot)
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW...W, GAA, SV, SV%

Quote Originally Posted by PMStick View Post
    ...great another year of getting laughed at for wearing my Jets gear...PENNINGTON CAN'T THROW A FOOTBALL HOW DO CHOOSE A QUARTERBACK THAT CAN'T THROW AGAINST NFL DEFENSES? I can't believe the Jets have not spent more time taking care of this issue which will boil over this year...they traded up during the 2007 NFL draft and I was swearing when they didn't draft Brady Quinn. We need a fuckin quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes dimensions away from the offense making it predictable...it's gonna be a long season of three-and-outs. All the talent in the world doesn't matter when your D is always on the field because your offense is getting snubbed all the time...Leon Washington returning punts and kickoffs will be our best chance of scoring of offense?? When teams have shit years they make adjustments...I couldn't stand watching them play into the hands of defenses last year under Pennington...teams easily made adjustments knowing well he wasn't going deep. Same thing?

Awful, 3-13 awful. Lowest point total in the NFL awful.

I hope I eat this post later but I sincerely do not like what is being put on the field.
    You must not be a huge Jets fan. Our Defense is absolutely looking awesome so far in camp, and our front 7 is giant now. Our Defense will keep us in games, and our run game should resemble 2002/2004 with the in-your-face style upfront.

Chad gives us the best chance to win, and he will give us the best shot to win.

Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    Chad gives us the best chance to win, and he will give us the best shot to win.
    Best shot to beat who? Hofstra?

Watch how a great defense looks in the fourth quarter after being on the field for the entire game. Management has to take care of the QB situation I don't care about a great defense. Pennington's a liability.

Does Jehuu Caulcrick have a shot at making the team as a short yardage back or fullback? Just curious if any Jets fans have info on his progress or lack thereof so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Country View Post
    Does Jehuu Caulcrick have a shot at making the team as a short yardage back or fullback? Just curious if any Jets fans have info on his progress or lack thereof so far.
    Caulcrick has been a monster in camp, he will make the team. He will be a FB behind Richardson, and is the future FB of this team. He will also get short yardage touches.

Best shot to beat who? Hofstra?

Watch how a great defense looks in the fourth quarter after being on the field for the entire game. Management has to take care of the QB situation I don't care about a great defense. Pennington's a liability.
    Pennington has always been successful with a team infront of him, which we do have now. I fully expect Pennington to put us in the best position to win games this year.

Caulcrick has been a monster in camp, he will make the team. He will be a FB behind Richardson, and is the future FB of this team. He will also get short yardage touches.
    Great to hear, if you get a chance look up his background story about what he went through to escape Liberia and come the US. Great kid and a truly inspirational story.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Country View Post
    Great to hear, if you get a chance look up his background story about what he went through to escape Liberia and come the US. Great kid and a truly inspirational story.
    Was posted on the Jets board I am a regular on. Very cool story, we all have been pulling for the kid.

The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by New Jersey Star Ledger
    New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington is pitching a shutout through the first four days (six practices) of training camp, and it's looking more and more like the ninth-year pro will be the man behind center for the Jets on opening day in Miami. Pennington has hardly been overwhelming, but Kellen Clemens has been a disappointment. Despite starting eight games last season (posting a 3-5 record), Clemens still appears a bit uncomfortable in the pocket and has thrown an interception during 11-on-11 drills in each of the first four days of camp at Hofstra. Pennington hasn't thrown one yet.
    Still too early to be picking who will start, but Pennington looks like the guy so far.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Still too early to be picking who will start, but Pennington looks like the guy so far.
    Clemens won the battle for the first time today.

Pennington is soundly beating him, although I think they will judge alot on the preseason games.

BTW- Chris Baker is working out and getting close to being a resolved situation.

Clemens won the battle for the first time today.

Pennington is soundly beating him, although I think they will judge alot on the preseason games.

BTW- Chris Baker is working out and getting close to being a resolved situation.
    Just read that Baker has given into playing under his current contract.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

Just read that Baker has given into playing under his current contract.
    Jets 1, Baker 0.

Quote Originally Posted by AP

Brett Favre got a standing ovation from an overflow crowd that went to great lengths to get a good look at the New York Jets' newest quarterback Saturday. He was cheered again when he completed his first pass of practice.
    Jets coach Eric Mangini said Favre will start next Saturday against the Redskins in the team's preseason home opener.
    I guess this makes sense.

Favre also seems to be happy again. Before, he felt unwanted in Green Bay and now the mayor are thrilled that he's a Jet. You saw what a happy, kid-like Favre did last year, if he brings this to the field every week, the Jets will be better...still not sniff the post season, but they will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by AP
    "It's a change," Jets QB Kellen Clemens said. "One minute, you're in a quarterback battle and the next minute, it's completely different. There are two ways to look at this. You can get down about it or turn it into a positive. I get to pick the brain of a future Hall of Famer. That chance doesn't come along too often."
    Glad to see Clemens take the right approach to the situation.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...ry_on_75y.html

Jets' Favre hit Cotchery on 75-yarder ; Also takes penalty lap
    by Dave Hutchinson
    Sunday August 10, 2008, 12:25 PM
    I know some of you are accusing me of love at first sight and having dreams about Brett Favre, but he did it again this morning.

He connected with WR Jerricho Cotchery on a postcard perfect 75-yard TD pass on a go pattern down the left sideline that was completed despite air-tight coverage by CB David Barrett. Folks, I'm not making this stuff up.

Favre hit Cotchery in stride and between the numbers on a ball that traveled 65 yards in the air.

``It was a great ball,'' said Cotchery after practice, the first of two today. ``(Favre) gave me an opportunity to make a play, He put it out there far enough, he put enough air up under it where I could try to run and go get it.''

Although one would perfer Favre save such throws for the regular season, Cotchery said making a connection in practice is the first step.

``Any opportunity I get to make a catch from him when you're developing a new relationship with a quarterback, you have to make plays for him in order for him to have confidence in you,'' said Cotchery. ``That's what I'm trying to do.''

Favre, however, wasn't perfect. He fumbled a snap and he and C Nick Mangold had to run a penalty lap. Yep, the future Hall of Famer ran lap and he's such the rage, it was filmed and posted on You Tube within the hour.

Today's attendance -- 4,000 down from 10,500 on Saturday.
    65 yard rope from the Jets? Ain't seen that in decades.

65 yard rope from the Jets? Ain't seen that in decades.
    Awesome...just awesome...I love this Favre acquisition. I wonder how many 75-yarders the Fins'll have this year. Looks like another 0-16 bid for Miami.

Not to knock Pennington, he's a great guy and will make a great coach but he is not an NFL-caliber player and hasn't been since he tore his rotator (the first time).

But let's let them worry about that on the Miami Dolphins thread and enjoy what we got. Favre takes us from 3-13 and brings us into the playoff picture.

Edit: Cotchery WILL BE MINE this year in fantasy oh yes.

Awesome...just awesome...I love this Favre acquisition. I wonder how many 75-yarders the Fins'll have this year. Looks like another 0-16 bid for Miami.

Not to knock Pennington, he's a great guy and will make a great coach but he is not an NFL-caliber player and hasn't been since he tore his rotator (the first time).

But let's let them worry about that on the Miami Dolphins thread and enjoy what we got. Favre takes us from 3-13 and brings us into the playoff picture.

Edit: Cotchery WILL BE MINE this year in fantasy oh yes.
    Easy there PMS.... easy... I can understand the excitement that Favre brings to the team. Favre will bring you from a 3-13 team to perhaps an 8-8 team, but nothing close to the playoff picture. AFC is far too good. Too many teams are better than the Jets that will miss the playoffs also. The Jets have to play the Patriots twice which = two losses. The Jets have to play the Bills twice which = two losses. The Jets have to play the Phins twice which = one loss, yes it WILL be opening day. So that is 1-5 right there... You are telling me the Jets are going to rattle off at least 9 more wins somewhere else. Doubtful.

But Cotchery will be a nice fantasy guy this year.

Easy there PMS.... easy... I can understand the excitement that Favre brings to the team. Favre will bring you from a 3-13 team to perhaps an 8-8 team, but nothing close to the playoff picture. AFC is far too good. Too many teams are better than the Jets that will miss the playoffs also. The Jets have to play the Patriots twice which = two losses. The Jets have to play the Bills twice which = two losses. The Jets have to play the Phins twice which = one loss, yes it WILL be opening day. So that is 1-5 right there... You are telling me the Jets are going to rattle off at least 9 more wins somewhere else. Doubtful.

You are completely wrong, stop talking about the Jets record. Keep bringing us Fantasy updates, enough about the Jets record.

King_Killah, also will you point out why you think the Jets will still be bad this year? What part of the team don't you like?

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    In what week does the Madden Curse strike?

I think we should start a $$$ poll.

$10 bucks a pop, 15/16 slots.

Winner takes all!

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar

I agree with pretty much everything here, I also think at best the Jets go 8-8 with out making the playoffs, I know that's not what Jets fans want to hear, but the AFC is just to tough IMO for them to get into the playoffs.

I agree with pretty much everything here, I also think at best the Jets go 8-8 with out making the playoffs, I know that's not what Jets fans want to hear, but the AFC is just to tough IMO for them to get into the playoffs.
    Tell me what you don't like about the Jets team? I'm just curious. AFC is too tough for the playoffs, we don't even play tough out of division AFC teams, but ok.
    Last edited by dw13; 08-11-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Tell me what you don't like about the Jets team? I'm just curious. AFC is too tough for the playoffs, we don't even play tough out of division AFC teams, but ok.
    Two things that stick out.......

1.) I dont see the Jets getting into the playoffs over teams like NE, IND, PIT, SD, JAC, CLE, TEN...

2.) I see the Jets losing to Miami x1, NE x2, SD x1, CIN x1 BUF x1, TEN x1, SEA x1, that's 8 L's right there, they could even lose both to BUF, I think BUF get's 2nd spot again in the AFC East.

Two things that stick out.......

1.) I dont see the Jets getting into the playoffs over teams like NE, IND, PIT, SD, JAC, CLE, TEN...

2.) I see the Jets losing to Miami x1, NE x2, SD x1, CIN x1 BUF x1, TEN x1, SEA x1, that's 8 L's right there, they could even lose both to BUF, I think BUF get's 2nd spot again in the AFC East.
    We never drop both to Buf, but I agree we will lose one.

We NEVER lose to Miami, we DEFINITELY won't this year, especially where they are placed in our schedule. We will beat Cinci its at home, how you even predict that is beyond me. So thats 10-6, I think we will take one from NE. I also don't see Tennessee beating us. So take one of those 2, thats 11-5. I don't see us winning more than 12 games, I've said it before. 11-5 is what I think we go.

How you include TEN in the playoff picture is quiet weird, if you think they have a better team then the Jets at this point, you are not doing your homework. No division will take 3 teams to the playoffs, just doesn't happen too often.

I guess after 4 weeks of the season we will really see the Jets and what they are worth.

No division will take 3 teams to the playoffs, just doesn't happen too often.
    It happend two times last season...

NFC East.

DAL
    NYG
    WAS

AFC North
    IND
    JAC
    TEN

Once in 2006

NFC East

PHI
    DAL
    NYG

I'm a Jets fan but lets be real here. Our front 7 on defense is very, very good, I don't think too many of you can deny that. Our new O-Line has 4 former first round picks, and the left side is absolutely sick. We have the RB's with TJ and Leon(who has been a beast in offseason). Favre back there as the QB, throwing to Keller, Cotch, Coles, Baker, Stuckey, Clowney. So the skill positions are set.

Our special teams ALWAYS ranks in the top3, even if we win 4 games. JMillz back, with Leon, Dwight Lowery and Stuckey all capable of returning.

The only soft spot I can see is our secondary, Revis and Rhodes are probowlers, but our #2 CB (Justin Miller) hasn't lived up to much but has the skill set. Eric Smith or Abram Elam will be a weak spot back there at Safety but they are playing with Rhodes, so.

NFC East.

DAL
    NYG
    WAS

AFC North
    IND
    JAC
    TEN

Once in 2006

NFC East

PHI
    DAL
    NYG
    And how many times before that? I'd be surprised if its many

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar

NFC East.

DAL
    NYG
    WAS

AFC North
    IND
    JAC
    TEN

Once in 2006

NFC East

PHI
    DAL
    NYG
    agree with what you are saying here 24 but just a quick clarification... which I'm sure you actually know but just slipped. AFC North is where the Steelers play. Indy and Jac are in the South division (I believe)

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    agree with what you are saying here 24 but just a quick clarification... which I'm sure you actually know but just slipped. AFC North is where the Steelers play. Indy and Jac are in the South division (I believe)
    I knew what he meant :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    Yeah I know, I did that up fast.

Thread Information