Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Sweed was an awesome pick for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Well, since they were able to snag Sweed with their next pick, that makes the Mendenhall pick even better. I don't get the Dixon selection. He'll be a mediocre QB at best. I guess its time to move on from Charlie Batch though?!?! Haha... Steelers are doing well in this draft.
    That pick makes no sense unless they are still looking for the slash type role.

Well, since they were able to snag Sweed with their next pick, that makes the Mendenhall pick even better. I don't get the Dixon selection. He'll be a mediocre QB at best. I guess its time to move on from Charlie Batch though?!?! Haha... Steelers are doing well in this draft.
    As the ESPN snippet on Dixon says, he can take over Batch at some point and may one day develop into a decent QB. At worst, they can use him for the trick plays they loved so much when Randle El was still a Steeler.

The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    As the ESPN snippet on Dixon says, he can take over Batch at some point and may one day develop into a decent QB. At worst, they can use him for the trick plays they loved so much when Randle El was still a Steeler.
    Here is the issue with the Dixon pick. I get he can used as a gadget type guy with the trick plays. Pittsburgh doesn't need that. Pittsburgh isn't gadget/trick play football... The areas that Pittsburgh needed help was getting a big ass receiver and offensive line help. Limas Sweed answers the big ass receiver need. Tony Hills out of Texas is a start. They could have, should have drafted at least two more offensive line guys. One in the Davis spot and the other in the Dixon spot. Then with their last two picks, if they wanted to go nuts and get someone to replace Charlie Batch they could have done so then. I do like the Mendenhall pick, a ton more since they got the big receiver in Sweed. I do like the Tony Hills pick. The rest, iffy...
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    I pretty much agree w/you Killah. All in all I feel "okay" coming out of this draft. Some good value landed into our hands which I am happy about but I am still concerned about protection. Hopefully we can shore up our Oline thru fa/trade or whatever b/c I don't know if my heart can stand another season of 40+ sacks. And we don't even have Faneca this time around...

Got to admit, while I am still nervous and unsure about how our Oline will perform this year, and am left with questions about our aging defense, Pittsburgh offense is looking scarier by the minute. If I remember correctly, Big Ben had a record high 32 Td's and Parker had like 1300yds b4 injury last year behind a terrible offensive line and now Ben has two more solid toys to play with. Hell of a schedule to contend with but I must admit, I am more excited about the 2008 season than I was three weeks ago.

Best moves in the afc north, as per ESPN draft review.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...mes&id=3370491

The best move was actually two moves made by the Pittsburgh Steelers. General manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin ignored the team's most glaring need -- offensive line -- on Day 1 and opted to go with the best available players. Those two players were Illinois' Mendenhall at No. 23 and Texas receiver Limas Sweed at No. 53. Both players graded out as first-round talents in most projections, meaning Pittsburgh got tremendous value for its picks.

The Steelers didn't necessarily need a tailback or a receiver. But pairing Mendenhall with Willie Parker and adding Sweed to the receiving duo of Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes will make defensive coordinators around the league cringe this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Tribune
    According to Pittsburgh Steelers HC Mike Tomlin, the team will submit to WR Santonio Holmes. Holmes has made it clear he would like return punts this season -- he played exclusively at wide receiver last year - and Tomlin said the Steelers will "take a peek" at him in that capacity. "We'll see if he can handle it," Tomlin said of Holmes, who returned punts in 2006.
    If you have a league that benefits individual player's points for returns, Holmes could be key.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

A little something more on the FWP vs. Mendenhall debate:

Willie Parker Nothing against the player, really, but he might not be the most valuable Pittsburgh RB in '08. Parker found the end zone only twice last season; Mendenhall should live there.

This just in - slutty girls from Pittsburgh love the Steelers!

Okay... and one for the ladies (me) too!

BLING

Last edited by Sponge Bong Beer Pants; 07-02-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    This just in - slutty girls from Pittsburgh love the Steelers!

Nice find Bonger!

breaking news -- time to become a Pittsburgh Steelers fan.. or a Corona bottle!

Last edited by Sponge Bong Beer Pants; 07-08-2008 at 12:15 PM.

breaking news -- time to become a Pittsburgh Steelers fan.. or a Corona bottle!

Nice find again Bong!

Bonger..... Is this what you do out there in sunny California??!!!

Nice find again Bong!

Bonger..... Is this what you do out there in sunny California??!!!

Maybe I should forget trying to open a restaurant and buy the Steelers instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Journal

According to John R. Wilke at the Wall Street Journal, the Rooney family, which owns the Pittsburgh Steelers, has quietly been seeking offers from other parties to buy the franchise. Stanley Druckenmiller, billionaire chairman of Duquesne Capital Management in Pittsburgh, is reportedly heads one of the potential groups who is interested in offering to purchase the franchise.
    In a statement Monday, the Steelers said Mr. Rooney "wants to stay in the football business while some of his four brothers plan to get out of the [National Football League] and focus their business efforts on their racetracks and other interests." The statement said that Mr. Rooney and his son, Steelers President Art Rooney II, are arranging a financing plan to buy the brothers' shares in the team in order to continue substantial ownership of the franchise by the Rooneys.

"I will do everything possible to work out a solution to ensure my father's legacy of keeping the Steelers in the Rooney family and in Pittsburgh for at least another 75 years," Dan Rooney said in the statement.

Maybe I should forget trying to open a restaurant and buy the Steelers instead!
    what a mess. I'm actually kinda sorta a little nervous about all of this crap, and I don't understand why after 2 some years they (The Rooney brothers) are finally making the changes/moves that they were told to. Maybe Goodell and the NFL are putting pressure privately and just trying to avoid a future "scandal" or something.

The Rooney's should sell some of those shares to the fans of Pittsburgh. I would so buy one!

what a mess. I'm actually kinda sorta a little nervous about all of this crap, and I don't understand why after 2 some years they (The Rooney brothers) are finally making the changes/moves that they were told to. Maybe Goodell and the NFL are putting pressure privately and just trying to avoid a future "scandal" or something.

The Rooney's should sell some of those shares to the fans of Pittsburgh. I would so buy one!
    Me too....that'd look pretty cool framed on the wall (the share certificate)

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    Me too....that'd look pretty cool framed on the wall (the share certificate)
    I would snap photos of myself humping the shared owner certificate and post them all over the interwebs.. then I'd frame it on my wall

Too bad it'll never happen...

I can't believe we're only 2 weeks away from Steelers training camp!!!

I would snap photos of myself humping the shared owner certificate and post them all over the interwebs.. then I'd frame it on my wall

Too bad it'll never happen...

I can't believe we're only 2 weeks away from Steelers training camp!!!
    Great idea, maybe we can both be in the pic!

Parker OK with reduced roll - or at least understands it.

Quote Originally Posted by USA Today
    With the drafting of rookie RB Rashard Mendenhall, Steelers RB Willie Parker knows his workhorse role could be reduced considerably. As promised last season, HC Mike Tomlin said he would ride Parker until the wheels fell off. When they did (Parker broke his fibula Week 16), the running game suffered tremendously. "I understand," says Parker, "They felt like we didn't have any running backs when I went out. I want to be the best, and whatever makes me better, I'm all for it." The team also signed RB Mewelde Moore as a possible third-down component and special teamer.
    I wouldn't be too concerned with Mewelde More, but Mendenhall will eat into Parker's carries for sure.

Parker OK with reduced roll - or at least understands it.

I wouldn't be too concerned with Mewelde More, but Mendenhall will eat into Parker's carries for sure.

yeah I agree on both parts Killah and I actually look to Moore to return kicks, especially if the Fumbleitis strikes Santonio Holmes again. (Provided he really gets another shot)

Moore should fit well into the place Verron Haynes helds for so many years.

Yeah Moore = the new Haynes. I think Holmes should get another shot at returning kicks, he was siiiick at OSU.

woooo

Steelers sign top picks Mendenhall and Sweed

The Steelers came to contract terms today with their top two draft picks and will have all their picks signed to contracts when they open training camp Sunday in Latrobe.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, the team's first-round draft choice, came to terms on a five-year deal. Wide receiver Limas Sweed, their second-round choice, agreed to a four-year contract.

Mendenhall will sign for five years at $12.55 million. He will receive bonuses as part of that contract worth $6.83 million. Contract terms for Sweed were not immediately available.

Steelers sign top picks Mendenhall and Sweed

The Steelers came to contract terms today with their top two draft picks and will have all their picks signed to contracts when they open training camp Sunday in Latrobe.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, the team's first-round draft choice, came to terms on a five-year deal. Wide receiver Limas Sweed, their second-round choice, agreed to a four-year contract.

Mendenhall will sign for five years at $12.55 million. He will receive bonuses as part of that contract worth $6.83 million. Contract terms for Sweed were not immediately available.
    You stole my old malkin sig!

Quote Originally Posted by dawinna13 View Post
    You stole my old malkin sig!
    sweeeet!

I've got a whole bloody folder full of these things. Unfortunately most of them are "stolen" from one place or another hahaha.

Sighs... Steelers training camp begins. Not on a pleasant note, though.

Sepulveda out for the year... Torn ACL in the right knee.

Damaged goods all along? Glad we traded picks to get him...

Oh, and who's our backup punter again?

The Steelers, who usually carry two punters in training camp, had none other than Sepulveda this summer.

Oh yeah.

Fuck.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08212/900451-66.stm

In other news - Holmes is unlikely to be returning punts this year...

Santonio Holmes, banned from returning punts last season, wants a shot at it this season and lined up there for the first time in practice yesterday.

"If he wants me back there, I definitely will be ready for it," Holmes announced.

Yet he does not think coach Mike Tomlin wants him to return punts, even though he was among the AFC leaders in his rookie season (2006).

"I doubt if the opportunity will be there," Holmes said. "He still wants me to be the leader of the receiving group, so that's my focal point this year."

Even though Holmes averaged 10.2 yards per punt return in 2006, including one touchdown, he returned none last season. Tomlin explained that he wanted his young receiver to concentrate on playing his position.
    Last edited by Sponge Bong Beer Pants; 07-30-2008 at 04:36 AM.

GO STEELERS/GO WINGS First Liner tets's Avatar
    The Steelers picked up Ernster to replace Sepulveda.

Damn, I really liked Sepulveda. Bad news!

Quote Originally Posted by tets View Post
    The Steelers picked up Ernster to replace Sepulveda.

Damn, I really liked Sepulveda. Bad news!
    aaahhh thanks for the info.. sucks about Sepulveda.

The Steelers will once again sport their throwback uniforms this season, wearing them for the September 29 game against Baltimore and October 26 game vs. the New York Giants, both at Heinz Field.

The jerseys were popular with players and fans alike, and many can be seen dotting the hillsides at St. Vincent College during the team’s training camp.

They were originally worn as a part of the team’s 75th Season Celebration last year.

I love these things, glad we'll get to see them again.

Senior Member Second Liner steelers's Avatar
    i love those jerseys

LATROBE, Pa. -- The Pittsburgh Steelers signed former Pro Bowl kick returner Eddie Drummond on Thursday to help bolster what has been a weak special teams unit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

The special teams last year was terrible....I hope this helps turn it around.....but the blocking and coverage was bad not just the fumbles and turnovers, that needs to improve this year

Thread Information