Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
    The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar

Pittsburgh Steelers - Team Report

Steelers Team Report
    td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }Yahoo! Sports

Inside Slant

Ben Roethlisberger has been busy lately and it has nothing to do with negotiations for a contract extension or playing in his first Pro Bowl. He's been busy denying, denying, denying that he was even serious when he said one of his offseason wishes was for the Pittsburgh Steelers to acquire a tall wide receiver.

His top three receivers are Hines Ward, listed as 6-0, 5-11 Santonio Holmes and 6-1 Nate Washington.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said last month. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines? Or Santonio? Hines is going to say he's 6 foot but he's 5-11, now."

Roethlisberger never disputed saying those words until Ward responded angrily a week later.

"We won a Super Bowl, we didn't have a tall receiver then," Ward said sharply. "I don't see Tom Brady caring about who's tall or not. He got Randy (Moss) this year, but he did it before without him."

Big Ben became Backtrack Ben after Ward's reaction. He called Ward and said he told him it was blown out of proportion and he was not quoted correctly. It started a huge debate in Pittsburgh over who was right and/or wrong - Ben for saying it, or Ward for the way he reacted.

"If Ben wants a tall receiver to make him feel comfortable or whatever, maybe the organization will get him one," Ward said.

"To me, I like the four guys we have. This is Ben's first year with (coordinator) Bruce Arians and he had a tremendous year, a Pro Bowl year. I think he's coming into his own. We have weapons, let's jell together a couple more years and let's see what happens. If they go and get a tall receiver in the first round, someone's got to lose a job. Now we had all these weapons around us, now what are we going to do?"

The bottom line: The Steelers believe they need to draft a quality wide receiver in April and would consider it on the first round. A tall one would be preferable.
    Notes, Quotes

The Steelers have six draft choices, one in each of the first six rounds. They traded their seventh-rounder last year to Atlanta for return man Allen Rossum. They do not expect to pick up any compensatory picks because they did not lose anyone in free agency last season and signed starting center Sean Mahan.

After much controversy last season over poor conditions at Heinz Field, the Steelers decided to stick with grass for at least one more year.

"The majority of the people in this organization favor grass," team president Art Rooney II said.

Rooney cited his players' preferences to play on grass rather than any kind of artificial turf, even though their union head, Gene Upshaw, lobbied the Steelers to install the fake stuff.

Don't expect the Steelers to make much of a pitch to keep guard Alan Faneca. They know they can't go as high as he wants at this point, and knew this would happen last August.

"We haven't closed the door," Kevin Colbert, director of football operations, said. But ... "Again, we know once you get to free agency or are that close to free agency, obviously you're going to have competition. The price most likely has gone up."

Hines Ward, who turns 32 in March, believes he can keep playing well into his 30s.

"I have three, four good years left, I would like to think," Ward said.

Quote To Note: "I don't buy into the hype you have to be tall. You throw the ball up and give somebody a chance to make a play, I'll make as many catches as anyone." - WR Hines Ward, reacting to Ben Roethlisberger's desire for a tall receiver.
    Strategy And Personnel

Coach Mike Tomlin wants to get some younger players, particularly in his defensive line where starters Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith are over 30 and Brett Keisel is approaching it.

Under pressure to make some changes, Tomlin kept his entire first coaching staff intact for 2008.

The Steelers signed former Boise State quarterback Jared Zabransky, who will get a chance to replace Brian St. Pierre as No. 3. St. Pierre, a UFA, is expected to sign elsewhere.

TEAM NEEDS/OFFSEASON STRATEGY

There are few pressing decisions to be made regarding their own unrestricted free agents because the Steelers do not expect to try to keep guard Alan Faneca, tackle Max Starks, linebacker Clark Haggans nor fullback Dan Kreider - all starters or former starters.

Their more interesting moves will come with their restricted free agents, including guard Chris Kemoeatu, No. 3 receiver Nate Washington and backup tackle Trai Essex. Kemoeatu is expected to replace Faneca as the starter and Essex is their only backup tackle with experience after Starks.

1. Offensive line: The performance of the line slipped for the second straight year and now they will lose perennial Pro Bowler Alan Faneca and Max Starks, who started in 2005 and 2006 at right tackle. This, after Pro Bowl center Jeff Hartings retired a year ago and left a large hole at that position.

2. Defensive line: For years, it has been a strength, but the front three are aging and the depth is not good at the ends. Could use a "three-technique" end, but won't overlook a true nose tackle.

3. Wide receiver: Hines Ward is still going strong but at 32 they'll look to groom someone. They'd like either a tall receiver or a fast one who also can return punts and/or kickoffs.

Medical Watch: When it comes to injury information, the Steelers have rarely been forthcoming in the offseason. RB Willie Parker (broken fibula), SS Troy Polamalu (sprained knee) and WR Hines Ward (sprained knee, surgery) all are working out and expected to make full recoveries. Others who have had surgeries since the season ended and are expected to be at full health soon are LB Marquis Cooper (meniscus), OT Trai Essex (right ankle, cartilage), LB Andre Frazier (sports hernia) and G Kendall Simmons (right fourth finger). FB Dan Kreider is recovering from ACL surgery in late November.

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None
    TRANSITION PLAYER: None.
    UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

LB Marquis Cooper is a special teams player and possible developmental linebacker. Not a priority.

DE Nick Eason could not do the job when Aaron Smith was injured and is not likely to see an offer from Pittsburgh.

G Alan Faneca received the Steelers' last, best offer in August and turned it down. He'll sign elsewhere.

LB Clark Haggans performed decently but did not bring enough pressure. The Steelers will promote No. 2 pick from last year, LaMarr Woodley and let Haggans go.

RB Verron Haynes was re-signed late in the season after Willie Parker was hurt but likely won't receive another offer from Pittsburgh.

DE Travis Kirschke has done a decent job as a backup but is not a priority, or possibly even a consideration, in free agency for them.

FB Dan Kreider's role was diminished last year and then his ACL was torn. He's working out and the Steelers might sign him if he gets no looks elsewhere.

QB Brian St. Pierre wants to move up somewhere from his No. 3 role with the Steelers and they will let him do so without an offer.
    RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

OT Trai Essex performed well when he had to fill in late in the season and he should get a lower tender (he was a third-round draft choice).

LB Andre Frazier is a good special teams player and backup on the outside, but they may not want to tender him even the lowest amount.

G Chris Kemoeatu is ticketed to replace Alan Faneca, so he will receive at least the first-round tender.

LS Greg Warren is not worth the nearly $1 million they would have to pay to maintain their rights to him.

WR Nate Washington also should receive at least the tender that would bring a second-round pick should he leave.
    EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS LB Arnold Harrison will receive a contract because he's a good, young backup at a position that is thin and he also plays special teams.
    The report will likely change about 100 times between now and the start of the new season.

Nate Washington - really worth a 2nd round pick??? I find that hard to believe.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

Thank you Rooney.

Steelers say taping didn't affect outcome of games against Patriots
    td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }February 15, 2008
    PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The New England Patriots' taping of opposing coaches' signals did not affect the outcome of games against the Steelers, including two AFC Championship games, Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said Friday. "We consider the tapes of our coaching staff during our games against the New England Patriots to be a non-issue," Rooney said in a statement. "In our opinion, they had no impact on the results of those games." Rooney's comments were fueled by remarks Thursday by U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who has questioned whether the NFL has properly handled allegations that Patriots coach Bill Belichick had assistants videotape opponents' signals.
    Feel a little better Bonger???
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

Hines is pissing me off. I mean, the dude is 32, the Steeler should be looking at drafting a replacement for 1-3 yrs down the road....and would it hurt to get a big guy? (a big guy would allow Ward to still start 2+ yrs down the road)

I'm worried about the O-line....D-line will sort itself out, it always does. Woodley starting, yes yes yes!

Senior Member First Liner
    Hate to say it, but I think the Steelers are mediocre at best next season...unless they can address the O-Line and fast.

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Thank you Rooney.

Feel a little better Bonger???
    that's a silly question killah. I follow the Steelers as closely as anything in sports, so obviously I saw Rooney's and Cowher's comments on those particular games when they first came out. Even before my latest blood pressure raising rants.

Still cheaters (rule breakers)

Still coached by a classless douche

Still tainted

And I agree, the Steelers are going to be facing a #1 schedule and are going to have a tough season next year. They'll need to own the division again to make the playoffs, no doubt about it.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Look at the Steelers schedule next season and tell me that they have a shot at a winning season:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...17/long/2.html

I know that things change but that is tough.

The one thing in their favor is the bulk of the "tough" games are at least at home. That road schedule of Jacksonville, Tennessee, Washington, Philly, and New England could look 3-2. Losses to Jacksonville and New England, but wins in Tennessee, Washington, and Philly are likely. It'll be easier to see Indy, San Diego, Dallas, NY Giants, and Houston at home. In which I can see this go at least 3-2 also. The big question will be how does the divisional games go? Will Cleveland come back strong again? Will Baltimore have somewhat of an offense? Will Cincy turn it around?

Unhappy

didn't want to make a seperate thread for this b/c i'm sure nobody out side of the nation cares but...

Legendary Steelers broadcaster Myrone Cope is dead at age 79.

Myron's terrible towel will forever be the banner of Steeler Nation, we will wave it proudly. Thanks for all the drunken incoherent game broadcasts over the years Myron, we sure are gonna miss ya!

Rest in Peace

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08058/860748-66.stm

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    didn't want to make a seperate thread for this b/c i'm sure nobody out side of the nation cares but...

Legendary Steelers broadcaster Myrone Cope is dead at age 79.

Myron's terrible towel will forever be the banner of Steeler Nation, we will wave it proudly. Thanks for all the drunken incoherent game broadcasts over the years Myron, we sure are gonna miss ya!

Rest in Peace

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08058/860748-66.stm

Wow, that is too bad...Didn't he originally come up with the whole terrible towel idea?

He used to call into Boston once or twice a year on Sports radio. What a unique voice that we unfortunately wont get to hear anymore...R.I.P.

He kinda reminded me of the late great Johnny Most (Celts) with that cigarette in hand and passion for his team.

So many of those legendary play by play guys are gone now...Chick Hearn, Kurt Gowdy, Dan Kelly... Heres hoping Vin Scully lives to be 100 and continues doing Dodger games.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    Wow, that is too bad...Didn't he originally come up with the whole terrible towel idea?

He used to call into Boston once or twice a year on Sports radio. What a unique voice that we unfortunately wont get to hear anymore...R.I.P.

He kinda reminded me of the late great Johnny Most (Celts) with that cigarette in hand and passion for his team.

So many of those legendary play by play guys are gone now...Chick Hearn, Kurt Gowdy, Dan Kelly... Heres hoping Vin Scully lives to be 100 and continues doing Dodger games.
    yes sir that is right, Cope is definitely responsible for the TT.. it was a gimmick he came up with way back in 75 to get fans riled up and excited in the playoffs.. I think it was against the Balt Colts when he first urged fans to bring yellow dish towels to the game and wave them about. Apparently it caught on quick and the stands were filled with them.. and obviously he later marketed the idea and the official Terrible Towel was born.

Rip!

PITTSBURGH–Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has signed a new contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    Roethlisberger led the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory two years ago, and was the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. He has started in all four seasons with the team.
    He threw 32 touchdown passes with only 11 interceptions in leading the Steelers to the playoffs, bouncing back from a 2006 season marred by a motorcycle accident and an appendectomy.
    ESPN reported the deal as $102 million (U.S.) over eight years.

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    PITTSBURGH–Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has signed a new contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    Roethlisberger led the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory two years ago, and was the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. He has started in all four seasons with the team.
    He threw 32 touchdown passes with only 11 interceptions in leading the Steelers to the playoffs, bouncing back from a 2006 season marred by a motorcycle accident and an appendectomy.
    ESPN reported the deal as $102 million (U.S.) over eight years.
    awesome to get that one out of the way. This puts him amonst the highest paid players in the NFL for sure. Wow. Now can we please worry about PROTECTING the $$$ and keeping Big Ben somewhat upright?

Edit:

The signing apparently did not hurt their small-time hunt in free agency. They are entertaining their first unrestricted free agent today at their facility, running back Mewelde Moore of the Minnesota Vikings. Moore, 25, is 5-11, 209 and has played on a limited basis the past two seasons in Minnesota.

And tomorrow, Eugene Wilson, a former starting free safety for the New England Patriots, will visit.
    Last edited by Sponge Bong Beer Pants; 03-03-2008 at 01:49 PM.

awesome to get that one out of the way. This puts him amonst the highest paid players in the NFL for sure. Wow. Now can we please worry about PROTECTING the $$$ and keeping Big Ben somewhat upright?

Edit:

The signing apparently did not hurt their small-time hunt in free agency. They are entertaining their first unrestricted free agent today at their facility, running back Mewelde Moore of the Minnesota Vikings. Moore, 25, is 5-11, 209 and has played on a limited basis the past two seasons in Minnesota.

And tomorrow, Eugene Wilson, a former starting free safety for the New England Patriots, will visit.
    Moore signed with them. Isn't he the Whizzinator! I like the Roethlisberger signing. It keeps Ben in Pittsburgh which seems like that was his ultimate objective. Two years down the road, that contract will be restructured you can be assured of that, but good move by both parties.

Moore signed with them. Isn't he the Whizzinator! I like the Roethlisberger signing. It keeps Ben in Pittsburgh which seems like that was his ultimate objective. Two years down the road, that contract will be restructured you can be assured of that, but good move by both parties.
    No, that was Ontario Smith...same team though

No, that was Ontario Smith...same team though
    Yes...... Hahaha... Good ol' Ontie Smith, the door to door whizzinator sales man.

ahhh so they did! He returns kicks right? Any good? We need help there after losing that useless bum Rossum

ahhh so they did! He returns kicks right? Any good? We need help there after losing that useless bum Rossum
    He's alright, a good backup....I'd say change of pace, but he is similar to Willie in my eyes. Can't hurt just in case...

He's alright, a good backup....I'd say change of pace, but he is similar to Willie in my eyes. Can't hurt just in case...
    he'll probably be 3rd down back and return kick offs and stuff, no? No way do I wanna see Parker out there returning kicks! Rossum is gone, Reid is a wash, and Holmes was taken off return duty last season (thankfully) I'm sure Fast Willie would be great but I don't wanna risk injury or fatigue

oh man I haven't said the name fast willie parker in weeks and weeks. Damn I miss football season

I really don't recall Mewelde Moore really returning many kicks or punts. I wouldn't really call him a 3rd down back either. He has the same style as Willie Parker. I could see them using Parker and Moore like Dallas used Jones and Barber III.

get a haircut, hippie

NFL Could Ban Hair Flowing Out of Helmets
    Posted Mar 21st 2008 10:06AM by Michael David Smith
    Filed under: Chiefs, Jaguars, Steelers, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Featured Stories, The Word

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is known as much for the long hair that goes halfway down his back as for anything else. But Polamalu and other NFL players may soon be banned from exposing long hair on the field.

Adam Schefter reported on NFL Network that the NFL's competition committee is considering a rule that would bar a player from wearing his hair long enough on the field to obscure his name on the back of his jersey. Players like Polamalu and Jaguars cornerback Rashaen Mathis would either need to get a haircut or figure out a way to stuff all that hair in their helmets throughout a game.

According to Schefter, the Kansas City Chiefs proposed the rule change, perhaps motivated by the incident in October 2006, when Chiefs running back Larry Johnson pulled Polamalu's hair to drag him down from behind -- which is legal -- and then held onto the hair after both players hit the ground, drawing an unnecessary roughness penalty.

Schefter reports that the Chiefs have argued that the hair requirement should be enforced as a uniform violation, similar to the league's requirements that players wear their socks a certain way. But there's also some support for the rules change from league insiders who believe it's unsafe to have players running around with hair hanging out their helmet.

The 32 teams are expected to vote on the proposed rules change at the league meeting at the end of the month.

In Other Steelers news, Cedrick Wilson was cut, freeing up some 2mil in cap room.

a running back?!

Lotta good ANY back is gonna do behind a weak ass offensive line!

damn it

a running back?!

Lotta good ANY back is gonna do behind a weak ass offensive line!

damn it
    Bonger....I was just heading over to this thread. I have to admit, I am pretty stunned that Pittsburgh went Mendenhall with the #23 overall. What is that saying for Fast Willie Parker? If they were going to go with a skill position, I think they should have went WR - possibly Limas Sweed. He's the big fella that Roethlisberger wanted. He would draw attention away from Hines Ward.

Not that Mendenhall is terrible...just not the position that Pittsburgh should have gone after, in my opinion.

While I agree that it is a shock to draft a RB, Mendenhall is pretty awesome value at #23 I think and I am guessing they went with the best player available at that pick (lots of O-Lineman had already been picked). The Steelers always find gems in later rounds and I can see them having some solid lineman in mind in later rounds. I'm hoping is more precise!

Bonger....I was just heading over to this thread. I have to admit, I am pretty stunned that Pittsburgh went Mendenhall with the #23 overall. What is that saying for Fast Willie Parker? If they were going to go with a skill position, I think they should have went WR - possibly Limas Sweed. He's the big fella that Roethlisberger wanted. He would draw attention away from Hines Ward.

Not that Mendenhall is terrible...just not the position that Pittsburgh should have gone after, in my opinion.
    Still got him...shocking fall of wide recievers

Senior Member First Liner
    The Steelers look like they absolutely killed in this draft. Watching Mendenhall fall in this draft really reminded me a lot of the Espo fall in the Pens draft. He clearly was the best player available, and at 23 he was a steal. Willie Parker is not a workhorse back...Mendenhall can be a beast (fantasy wise too) in a few years. Getting Sweed in the second round makes it even more sweet.

The O-Line definately looks like ass on a stick, for what its worth. Hopefully, we can address this temporarily with free agency or with players already in the system until a future draft. In a few years the team should be a very serious contender again.

I am happier than a pig in shit that the Steelers got Sweed. He is the receiver they needed. I loved the joking around with Tomlin towards the end of day one when they were saying the Steelers averaging 40 a game. Why not? Going into the draft the top 5 receivers all dropped. Character issues, not good combine numbers, whatever... For the Steelers... I don't think they needed Mendenhall, regardless of whether he dropped to #23 or not. Like Bonger said...it won't matter much who is running if the O-line is weak. Hey...they have the rest of the draft to work on that.

That said... I think this draft a lot of teams addressed needs and issues. Atlanta bringing in the new face of the organization along with protection for him. Kansas City making the deal with Minnesota to secure the extra 1st rounder, drafting all needs. Washington needed receivers and stacked up in their first three picks.

Then of course there are the teams that didn't draft well, although some will argue. Oakland didn't "need" McFadden, they still have issues elsewhere that will cost them games. Philadelphia - trading their 1st rounder, then trading their 1st 2nd rounder. I like that they got DeSean Jackson, but can/will he stay out of trouble? And it seems as if they drafted him to be a returner. They could have waited 'til the 3rd or 4th round and gotten a returner. They could have had Felix Jones inthe 1st round. Take pressure off of Westbrook.

We'll see how the rest of the draft goes.

Dennis Dixon in the 5th - nice pick! Don't know much about Tony Hills, but we need O-Lineman. Davis is another LB that will probably be a solid player down the road knowing the Steelers ability to spot solid players at that position. Good draft so far!

Not to shabby boys, not too shabby

that first pick threw me for a bit of a loop but wow overall we've scored some great talent at good value.

I trust they know what they are doing
    Last edited by Sponge Bong Beer Pants; 04-27-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Not to shabby boys, not too shabby

that first pic kthrew me for a bit of a loop but wow overall we scored some great talent at good value
    Well, since they were able to snag Sweed with their next pick, that makes the Mendenhall pick even better. I don't get the Dixon selection. He'll be a mediocre QB at best. I guess its time to move on from Charlie Batch though?!?! Haha... Steelers are doing well in this draft.

Thread Information