Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar

San Francisco 49ers

I actually like this move a lot for the Niners. The team is headed in the right direction. Hopefully they can do something next season or maybe the Arizona Cardinals, just so we don't have to see the Seattle Frauds in the playoffs anymore.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Mike Martz claims he can put together a fantastic offense with mostly the same San Francisco 49ers who made up the NFL's worst unit in 2007.

It's just the type of brash confidence everybody expects from Martz -- and Mike Nolan believes every word of it.
    Nolan hired Martz to be his offensive coordinator Tuesday, tasking one of the NFL's most polarizing coaches with reinventing an offense that sank to historic lows last season.
    Martz has been on a rocky coaching road for the past three years, but he tormented the 49ers for six years during his greatest successes with their NFC West rival St. Louis Rams. Martz built the so-called Greatest Show on Turf over seven seasons, honing a remarkable passing game while the Rams reached two Super Bowls.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

Good, as a parting gift he can take Kitna with him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Maybe it'll help. Or maybe the 49ers will be just like the Cards where every year people talk about them being a contender when they just aren't........

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Country View Post
    Good, as a parting gift he can take Kitna with him.

...and replace him with who? JT O'Sullivan? Dan Orlovsky? Oh God... Keep Kitna in Detroit.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

Quote Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
    Maybe it'll help. Or maybe the 49ers will be just like the Cards where every year people talk about them being a contender when they just aren't........

Totally agree with this, but I think it will make them more of a contender than what they were.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    F* Martz and F* SF. He is a great offensive mind but there is a big difference between the offensive talent that he had in St. Louis compared to what he has in SF. Seattle is slightly overrated because of their division but they aren't as bad as you claim. Did they cost you a lot of $$ or something??

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    My only problem with Martz to the 49ers is he's a pass happy nutcake and now he's the OC with a QB that cant pass the damn ball.

Frank Gore keeper owners must be pretty sour with this news.

No Doc, Seattle siphoned the rent money from me last weekend..
    Last edited by Snipes16; 01-09-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes16 View Post
    My only problem with Martz to the 49ers is he's a pass happy nutcake and now he's the OC with a QB that cant pass the damn ball.

No but I am since I own Vernon Davis.

Why so?? RB's under Martz have had some great seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    ...and replace him with who? JT O'Sullivan? Dan Orlovsky? Oh God... Keep Kitna in Detroit.
    I would sign Derrick Anderson and give the 1st and 3rd. Matt Millen can't draft worth a shit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    F* Martz and F* SF. He is a great offensive mind but there is a big difference between the offensive talent that he had in St. Louis compared to what he has in SF. Seattle is slightly overrated because of their division but they aren't as bad as you claim. Did they cost you a lot of $$ or something??
    I agree that the offenses are pretty different, comparing St. Louis and San Francisco.
    • I think he has a comparible running game in Gore as he had with Faulk.
    • I think his tight end is upgraded over what he had in St. Louis.
    • His receivers are in question. I think the Niners can begin to fix this with the upcoming draft this year.
    The Seahawks, in any other division, wouldn't have sniffed playoffs. As far as them losing me money, when I bet them...they actually hit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    I agree that the offenses are pretty different, comparing St. Louis and San Francisco.
    • I think he has a comparible running game in Gore as he had with Faulk.
    • I think his tight end is upgraded over what he had in St. Louis.
    • His receivers are in question. I think the Niners can begin to fix this with the upcoming draft this year.
    The Seahawks, in any other division, wouldn't have sniffed playoffs. As far as them losing me money, when I bet them...they actually hit for me.
    Not sure how much he will use the TE but we are also missing the OL and QB positions. The Rams were stacked all around. The Niners have a good RB and TE. Big difference.

Why so?? RB's under Martz have had some great seasons.
    The Lions or 49ers cant be compared with the talent level that Martz had with the Rams and Marshall Faulk.

Look at Martz' last 2 seasons in Detroit as a better barometer.

2006 - 596 pass attempts - 304 rush attempts
    2007 - 588 pass attempts - 324 rush attempts

Thats a 2/1 ratio passing to rushing. Not what I'd like to see as a Gore owner, thats all.

His stubborness to stick with the pass is why he got canned in Detroit.

I would be anxious to see what the breakdown was when he was in St. Louis because many of those pass attempts went to Faulk. This could be a very good thing for Gore, especially in PPR leagues.

The Lions or 49ers cant be compared with the talent level that Martz had with the Rams and Marshall Faulk.

Look at Martz' last 2 seasons in Detroit as a better barometer.

2006 - 596 pass attempts - 304 rush attempts
    2007 - 588 pass attempts - 324 rush attempts

Thats a 2/1 ratio passing to rushing. Not what I'd like to see as a Gore owner, thats all.

His stubborness to stick with the pass is why he got canned in Detroit.
    Look at his running backs in Detroit though. A banged up hurt overrated Kevin Jones. TJ Duckett. Taint Bell. I wouldn't run with that if I had Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson.

I just checked and you are correct Doc. Over a 4 year 99-02 span, Marshall Faulk caught 80+ balls each of those years and averaged roughly 250 carries in that time.

But the 49ers aren't exactly the greatest show on turf. Gore is no Faulk and Alex Smith is not to be mistaken with Kurt Warner circa 200. Holt and Bruce in their prime vs Darrell Jackson and Arnez Battle in 08?

Not sure how much he will use the TE but we are also missing the OL and QB positions. The Rams were stacked all around. The Niners have a good RB and TE. Big difference.
    Alex Smith is not a bad QB. I wouldn't necessarily give him a top grade, but he can be coached. I do agree that the OL is missing. Give Smith a stronger OL, and a receiver (or two) and that offense can be productive.

I am not saying an overnight fix. I am saying Martz is better than what they had.

I just checked and you are correct Doc. Over a 4 year 99-02 span, Marshall Faulk caught 80+ balls each of those years and averaged roughly 250 carries in that time.

But the 49ers aren't exactly the greatest show on turf. Gore is no Faulk and Alex Smith is not to be mistaken with Kurt Warner circa 200. Holt and Bruce in their prime vs Darrell Jackson and Arnez Battle in 08?
    F* Arnez Battle.... He shouldn't be in the NFL.

Senior Member All-Star
    Alex Smith's problem is that he's not a 5 or 7 step, drop back passer. And they tried to make him do that too much. If Martz can either get him rolling out more, or doing more 3-step drop then I think that'll help him a lot.

If anything I think this helps Gore because of the way Faulk was used. And white Martz may have never used the TE much, they can line up Vernon Davis in the slot and use him there (like Antonio Gates), which I think would help Alex Smith a lot if he can get some quick drops and crossing routes

I know. That's why I said this earlier in this thread:

My response after that was in response to you saying that Martz would hurt Gore's numbers.

Ajde Anci!! All-Star mrtybrodur30's Avatar
    first of almost anyone is a upgrade over jim hostler. alex smith has been in the league 3 years and in that time he has had to learn 3 different systems. last year he was terrible but that wasnt his fault. the playcalling was terrible, the line was terrible. things finally got better when tollner was hired so he could help hostler cause everyone saw he didnt know what he was doing. martz isnt going to leave gore out of the playbook his number will be called plenty and it could be even better for him since he can catch out of the backfield very well.

as for vernon davis i use to have high hopes for him until i found out the truth. yeah he is in great shape and a amazing athlete, probably one of the best conditioned TE's in the league if not the best! but he isnt that smart, he will never be a threat from the slot etc you know why cause he cant remember routes or plays, he just doesnt. the niners have had to simplify the playbook in some areas to help him out. it sucks cause he could be a beast in the league if this wasnt a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by San Francisco Chronicle
    San Francisco 49ers second-year running back Thomas Clayton, who spent the 2007 season on the team's practice squad, has reportedly impressed the coaching staff through Organized Team Activities (OTAs) and the team's mandatory mini-camp with his quickness.
    Are we sniffing sleeper here???

No third wide-out in San Fran???

Mike Martz-led offenses typically have featured a slot receiver who was heavily targeted. Names like Shaun McDonald, Kevin Curtis and Tony Horne have filled that role in the past. The decision on who will fill that role, and whether they will see significant targets is a burning question around the team. Early indications are that the slot WR will not see a big role. Martz has a different philosophy than the one he had in St. Louis and Detroit. In St. Louis and Detroit, Martz had an abundance of big-name receivers. In San Francisco, his arsenal is more varied. For the first time, he has two decent tight ends in Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker, and to hear Martz talk, those two will be on the field together quite a bit. Barrows speculates that Arnaz Battle is the ideal guy to man the slot. The question is that if Davis, Walker, Robinson and Deshaun Foster end up catching a lot of passes in Martz's offenses, will there be a great need for a third and fourth wideout at all?
    Interesting thought... But it actually kinda makes sense.

Nothing of importance fantasy-wise for this season, but a little something for 49ers fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Press Democrat
    The San Francisco 49ers figure to have nine draft picks next season, including two compensatory picks based on net free-agent losses this offseason. The formula the NFL uses to determine compensatory picks is kept as secret as the Colonel's special recipe, but it appears to be based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Salary is the biggest factor in the equation with adjustments made for playing time and awards. Compensatory picks are awarded to teams, beginning at the end of the third round. The 49ers' two projected comp picks could be at the end of the fifth and sixth rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Rosa Press Democrat
    While speaking to the press today, new San Francisco 49ers OC Mike Martz indicated he planned to use TE Vernon Davis like a WR. "Well, 52 (catches) is pretty good production. That's really good for the tight end position. What we'll try to do with him is try to take advantage of his speed more, probably, than what they've done in the past. We'll try to get him down the field, more or less like a wide receiver -- move him out, move him around. At first it was so different for him, but he's really adapted well to it. He's really kind of thrived with it."
    This is interesting... Seems like Davis gets overvalued every year, will this news continue that trend, or work out in all Davis owners favor?

Davis is much better than most think. He has been hurt here and there and cmon, he has Alex Smith throwing to him. King, you could throw better than Smith!!

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN.com
    The San Francisco 49ers' quarterback battle is still undecided as all three of the team's quarterbacks struggled in their loss Friday night to the Oakland Raiders. QB J.T. O'Sullivan committed two turnovers on the team's last two possessions and QB Shaun Hill added an interception earlier in the game. Alex Smith finished 5-9 passing for 51 yards. The 49ers turned the ball over four times as a team.
    Could it be an even worse QB situation than Chicago???? F*ck Rex Grossman. Kyle Orton though...

O'boy.... O'Sullivan...

Adam Schefter reports that while the 49ers hoped Alex Smith would win the job, through the first part of camp, the San Francisco QB that's most distinguished himself is J.T. O'Sullivan. O'Sullivan was with Mike Martz last year in Detroit. So far, he's making the most of it and is beating out Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. The 49ers aren't ready to annoint O'Sullivan the starter, but Schefter says it's heading that way.
    Points to O'Sullivan for refusing to go away and making this a 3-QB race in SF. Now it looks as if he may win the spot. Good for him. Just don't think too many people will be drafting him or the other two clowns in SF under center.

Quote Originally Posted by San Fran Chronicle
    San Francisco 49ers HC Mike Nolan says that rookie WR Josh Morgan is now challenging to win a starting WR spot with veteran Bryant Johnson battling a hamstring injury. Morgan, who has been very impressive in training camp thus far, was first thought of as a long shot to even make the team.
    I would dub Morgan a late round sleeper, but with the QB mess in SF, not too sure about it yet. Stay tuned.

That O'Sullivan to Morgan connection - the next Montana to Rice???? Get the f*ck out of here...

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    J.T. O'Sullivan threw San Francisco's first scoring pass of the preseason and led the 49ers on back-to-back touchdown drives. Whether that was enough to help him complete his long-shot bid to become the Niners starting quarterback remains to be seen. O'Sullivan threw a 59-yard touchdown pass to Josh Morgan which looked like Joe Montana to Jerry Rice, and outplayed top competitor Alex Smith as the 49ers beat Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers 34-6 Saturday night.

Thread Information