Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta Falcons

The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar

Atlanta Falcons

This could be a big hit against USC if Carroll leaves.

Late Tuesday night, ESPN.com, citing multiple sources, reported that Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is pursuing USC coach Pete Carroll according to a report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
    According to the story, the Falcons "might be willing to grant Carroll far-reaching responsibilities." The Falcons on Tuesday said they were extending their simultaneous searches for a new head coach and general manager.
    On Tuesday, the Falcons were granted permission to interview Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. That interview is slated for this week. But the team was denied permission to talk to New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.
    Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

I couldn't think of a reason to leave USC, he could stay as long as he wants and be successful. In the NFL you are hired to be fired with very few exceptions. It seems he gets mentioned every year about NFL jobs where there's smoke....

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar
    I can't think of a reason to join the Falcons.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boredguy View Post
    I can't think of a reason to join the Falcons.
    haha, yeah no shit, he's got a good thing going with USC.........this would be good for ATL if he did join though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Carroll already did the NFL thing, I can't really see why he'd want to leave USC

He certainly wasn't on a list of choices that I've had. I would love to see him in Atlanta. The only reason I think he'd make the move is if Blank gave him full control. Apparently that is something Blank is willing to consider.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    He certainly wasn't on a list of choices that I've had. I would love to see him in Atlanta. The only reason I think he'd make the move is if Blank gave him full control. Apparently that is something Blank is willing to consider.
    I fail to see a good reason (without mentioning money) why this would be good for either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    I fail to see a good reason (without mentioning money) why this would be good for either side.
    If Carroll gets complete control of the team, which is what Carroll wants...

Senior Member All-Star Motorcat's Avatar
    The last interview I heard with Carroll I remember him going on and on about how he was in the perfect situation at USC.

Some coaches are just better at the college level than the NFL level - Spurrier comes to mind. Does not mean their a bad coach, just better suited for the college game and that environment. Carroll strikes me as a college guy and given his current situation I don't think he bites on a NFL job any time soon.

I definitely agree that some coaches are better college ball guys than NFL. I honestly would be shocked if Atlanta nabbed Carroll out of USC.

Jags D-Cooridanator, Mike Smith is in..... From a Reeve's mold??!!

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Atlanta Falcons' new rookie coach already is sounding like the veteran who took the team to its only Super Bowl.

Mike Smith, the former Jacksonville defensive coordinator hired by the Falcons on Wednesday night, could have been reading from former Atlanta coach Dan Reeves' script.

"My goal is to build a well-disciplined, hard-nosed football team that will be able to run the football on offense and stop the run on defense," Smith said. "I've always believed that's what makes championship teams."

Reeves used that formula to take the Falcons to the NFC championship in 1998. Reeves' successor, Jim Mora, also stressed the run in his three years. Then came Bobby Petrino, who lasted only 13 games.
    In announcing his first hire as general manager, Thomas Dimitroff said Smith "possesses all of the key qualities we were looking for in a head coach."

It's impossible to know how this will ultimately turn out but, right now, this hiring just reiterates the fact that Arthur Blank is clueless when it comes to owning a football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    It's impossible to know how this will ultimately turn out but, right now, this hiring just reiterates the fact that Arthur Blank is clueless when it comes to owning a football team.
    He went after some names... Unfortunately they went elsewhere or never panned out.

With what was left... Smith or the Giants Spagnola, its 6 and 1/2 dozen.

He went after some names... Unfortunately they went elsewhere or never panned out.

With what was left... Smith or the Giants Spagnola, its 6 and 1/2 dozen.
    Like I said, we don't know what will happen but Smith?? I don't think that he was ever a HC and he just had the title in Jax. He didn't run the defense.

Holy shit......... I am not happy with this. Well, part of this...

Falcons release TE Alge Crumpler and 6 others in first step of rebuilding job
    td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
    February 15, 2008
    FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- The Atlanta Falcons released four-time Pro Bowl tight end Alge Crumpler and six other players Friday in the first step of a major rebuilding job in the post-Michael Vick era. The Falcons also cut quarterback Byron Leftwich, defensive tackle Rod Coleman, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy, cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott and linebacker Marcus Wilkins. "This is a difficult day for the entire organization," said Thomas Dimitroff, the Falcons' new general manager. "A number of these players have contributed to this organization on and off the field at a high level, and we greatly appreciate their efforts."
    How the Hell can they release Crumpler????? Even Coleman??

I know they are going through a rebuild, but don't you need someone there to help??? They'll likely take a QB with their 1st rounder, but there have been a lot of talks that if Ryan is taken before they get theirs that they may opt for McFadden because they know Warrick Dunn is getting up there plus his salary. My problem with that is they have Norwood. Focus on the QB. They had no business releasing Crumpler, at all... He was a positive force on the offense. F*ck. Who the Hell are they going to get at TE? Certainly no one as good as Crumpler, unless they are somehow thinking they can sign Witten.

Pretty upset right now.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Maybe they will try and get Shockey from the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Maybe they will try and get Shockey from the Giants.
    If they get Shockey I may have to abandon the team... Please, no... don't go after Shockey. Please.

I am going to stay up at night and live in fear until a TE is signed or announced and find out it isn't Shockey.

However, Shockey could be that player that you hate until he is on your team... Oh God nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar

I know they are going through a rebuild, but don't you need someone there to help??? They'll likely take a QB with their 1st rounder, but there have been a lot of talks that if Ryan is taken before they get theirs that they may opt for McFadden because they know Warrick Dunn is getting up there plus his salary. My problem with that is they have Norwood. Focus on the QB. They had no business releasing Crumpler, at all... He was a positive force on the offense. F*ck. Who the Hell are they going to get at TE? Certainly no one as good as Crumpler, unless they are somehow thinking they can sign Witten.

Pretty upset right now.

wow that is major suckage. I wonder where he ends up. He could be very productive on a lot of teams!

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar

Pretty upset right now.
    So basically all the players I liked on the falcons are about to be gone:

Gone:
    Vick
    Kerney
    Crumpler

Left:
    Dunn
    Brooking
    Hall

Their style of football was why I was a fan. The run first offense with Vick's playmaking ability and a physical defense.

I'm might be dropping ship here too unfortuneately

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    wow that is major suckage. I wonder where he ends up. He could be very productive on a lot of teams!
    If he goes to Philly... I will be pissed. I know that LJ Smith is a FA and I don't know if the Eagles will resign him. Maybe with Dallas. With Crump available they aren't in a desperate need to resign him. I think he goes out of the division, hopefully out of the conference. Anywhere but the Seattle SeaFrauds! Hahahaha...

Senior Member First Liner Snipes16's Avatar
    Michael Turner to the Falcons?

Dinner with Arthur Blank on Sunday.

Blank check?

Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar
    Yep, Turner signs with the Falcons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Good signing for them, Turner is definitely a starting RB and much better then Dunn. This kills Norwood's fantasy value though.

Wabba wabba First Liner walker42500's Avatar
    I really don't think the loss of Crumpler is that big of a deal. He was overweight, short for a TE, poor blocker, and his success was a product of Vick. He's on the downside of his career, I don't care what his age is, he'll never be the threat he was with Vick again.

If you were to draft a TE, say Brad Cottam, that would be a huge upgrade for the Falcons.
    Hello, yeah this is head ball coach. He ran a what? Hey I told you he could really go. Yeah, click clack.

Quote Originally Posted by boredguy View Post
    Yep, Turner signs with the Falcons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Good signing for them, Turner is definitely a starting RB and much better then Dunn. This kills Norwood's fantasy value though.
    I think this deal basically cuts Warrick Dunn loose. Atlanta runs Norwood with Turner in the role that he played in San Diego, or I can even see it reversed with Turner taking the bulk with Norwood on 3rd down and goal line carries. I like this move. Makes the Crumpler decision a little easier to take.

Quote Originally Posted by walker42500
    I really don't think the loss of Crumpler is that big of a deal. He was overweight, short for a TE, poor blocker, and his success was a product of Vick. He's on the downside of his career, I don't care what his age is, he'll never be the threat he was with Vick again.
    You got to be kidding me. I am not arguing his blocking. He isn't a blocking TE though. He was needed for offense, in that offense. They brought in Joe Horn to help, but the loss of Vick hurt. Harrington, Leftwich, and Redman... geez. Now, they replace Crumpler with Ben Hartsock. Ben mother f*cking Hartsock. Right. Whopping 12 receptions for 138 yards over the course of a season Ben Hartsock. Joke! Atlanta needs to draft a QB first and foremost in the draft. The receivers can get by with Joe Horn, Roddy White, and Michael Jenkins. The run game has improved with the addition of Michael Turner. Maybe they trade Dunn away, get an extra pick somewhere unless they cut him directly in which case I can see him going back to Tampa Bay or maybe heading out to Indy. Back to Crumpler... no way can Atlanta cutting him be downplayed.

Wabba wabba First Liner walker42500's Avatar
    I think this deal basically cuts Warrick Dunn loose. Atlanta runs Norwood with Turner in the role that he played in San Diego, or I can even see it reversed with Turner taking the bulk with Norwood on 3rd down and goal line carries. I like this move. Makes the Crumpler decision a little easier to take.

You got to be kidding me. I am not arguing his blocking. He isn't a blocking TE though. He was needed for offense, in that offense. They brought in Joe Horn to help, but the loss of Vick hurt. Harrington, Leftwich, and Redman... geez. Now, they replace Crumpler with Ben Hartsock. Ben mother f*cking Hartsock. Right. Whopping 12 receptions for 138 yards over the course of a season Ben Hartsock. Joke! Atlanta needs to draft a QB first and foremost in the draft. The receivers can get by with Joe Horn, Roddy White, and Michael Jenkins. The run game has improved with the addition of Michael Turner. Maybe they trade Dunn away, get an extra pick somewhere unless they cut him directly in which case I can see him going back to Tampa Bay or maybe heading out to Indy. Back to Crumpler... no way can Atlanta cutting him be downplayed.
    I have to eat some crow now. Crumpler should do pretty well with Vince in Tennessee since his and Vick's style are similar.

Crumpler is average without a scrambling QB. He wasn't going to fit Atlanta's offense with the QB they draft. They are going to pound the ball with Norwood and Turner all season long, taking pressure off their rookie QB.
    Hello, yeah this is head ball coach. He ran a what? Hey I told you he could really go. Yeah, click clack.

i think Crumpler in TEN is a perfect fit for him.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    i think Crumpler in TEN is a perfect fit for him.
    How about re-phrase it to saw Crumpler is a perfect fit for Vince Young.

How about re-phrase it to saw Crumpler is a perfect fit for Vince Young.
    TEN = VYoung that's why Crump is a great fit for TEN!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    TEN = VYoung that's why Crump is a great fit for TEN!!

Poor Falcons are still gonna suck. Are you still going to stay true to the Dirty Souf when your boys look like the Dolphins did this year King?!?!

Thread Information