Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Banned All-Star
    Thought I would post this (two weeks old now), THN rated the Wings the best all around franchise in the NHL... even with the crappy attendance these days.

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarp...5-5924fe03c8cd

Banned All-Star
    Figure I'd bump this up.

Is it just me... or is every other Wing fan over impressed with our so called "too old" goaltending situation??

I had a argument with a friend while playing him at NHL 08 over the PS2 on the net. He was trying to tell me that both Ozzy and Hasek will burn out and lose in the playoffs for us....

Pretty sure with two solid goalies we don't have to worry about one getting over worked.

Moonajuana Master All-Star beanz's Avatar
    the way they are splitting games now, they are going to be just fine down the stretch. These guys aren't just old goalies who've never felt the pressure/stress of a season + playoffs, they, as well as the coaches, know how to manage themselves over this season. Howard will start here and there too i'd believe, prob end of jan at some point. The Wings have nothing to worry about AT ALL in net.

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    I expected it to be good, but certainly not this good. Especially not Ozzy. I figured Dom would be better, but he seems to be rounding into midseason form, so I'm not worried.

Not to change the subject on ya (even though though that's exactly what I'm doing, sorry) but you know what I would love to see? The Wings keep this lineup the entire season, don't make any significant moves at the deadline, and win with the team thye have now. Maybe I'm getting a little overexcited with the 7 gm streak, but the kids are really starting to round into form, goaltending is obviously not an issue, nor is defence, Dats is now on fire, and Zetts continues play fantastically. I know it's early to be talking cup. but I would just love to see that happen. Although, I guess that's kinda what every teams' fans hope for, lol. I just think it would be especially nice this year if they didn't give up a solid young kid or prospect at the deadline for a marginal upgrade, for once, and won with the team they have.
    Last edited by chgorman; 12-11-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    I expected it to be good, but certainly not this good. Especially not Ozzy. I figured Dom would be better, but he seems to be rounding into midseason form, so I'm not worried.

Not to change the subject on ya (even though though that's exactly what I'm doing, sorry) but you know what I would love to see? The Wings keep this lineup the entire season, don't make any significant moves at the deadline, and win with the team thye have now. Maybe I'm getting a little overexcited with the 7 gm streak, but the kids are really starting to round into form, goaltending is obviously not an issue, nor is defence, Dats is now on fire, and Zetts continues play fantastically. I know it's early to be talking cup. but I would just love to see that happen. Although, I guess that's kinda what every teams' fans hope for, lol. I just think it would be especially nice this year if they didn't give up a solid young kid or prospect at the deadline for a marginal upgrade, for once, and won with the team they have.
    Never too early with this team, there's no secret that Bowmans usually makes Detroit the lowest payout to win the cup every year.

Original Six Third Liner Zamboners's Avatar
    Vote for Ozzy
    All-star balloting endorsement blog
    http://www.detroitboard.com/index.ph...og&blogid=18&/
    12 team H2H (partial keeper)
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW
    Goalie stats: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Crosby, Stepan, Bozak
    LW:
    Ryan, Hall, Steen
    RW: Voracek, Alfredsson, Skinner
    D: Streit, Leddy, Gonchar
    G: Holtby, Pavelec,
    Ward

Bench: Vermette, Grabner, Tlusty, Heatley, Brunner
    IR: Rinne, Martin

'There Is Still Only One Hockeytown!' Man Who Invented the Phrase Tells Sports Illustrated
    FERNDALE, Mich., Dec. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Attention Sports Editors: Following is the text of a letter from Gary Topolewski, Detroit advertising creative executive, to Sports Illustrated magazine, regarding SI's article suggesting that Detroit may be losing its claim to the Hockeytown title.

Link:
    http://www.kxxv.com/global/story.asp?s=7529285

LW:
    Ryan, Hall, Steen
    Ward

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Hey Wings fans, any news on Holmstrom? I just traded for him last week, wondering if this knee problem is serious or if you guys are waiting for the MRI just like I am.

Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Hey Wings fans, any news on Holmstrom? I just traded for him last week, wondering if this knee problem is serious or if you guys are waiting for the MRI just like I am.
    coach Mike Babcock said he received good news on Tomas Holmstrom. The MRI on his right knee revealed no ligament damage, only a bone bruise. Babcock said he's not sure how many more games Holmstrom will miss, but it's definitely not a long-term injury.
    link: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....onight_go.html

LW:
    Ryan, Hall, Steen
    Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Zamboners View Post
    coach Mike Babcock said he received good news on Tomas Holmstrom. The MRI on his right knee revealed no ligament damage, only a bone bruise. Babcock said he's not sure how many more games Holmstrom will miss, but it's definitely not a long-term injury.
    link: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....onight_go.html
    Thanks. That's a definite relief. Didn't want to be losing Holmstrom a day after losing Williams.

Banned All-Star
    Hopefully Zett's back isn't too bad either... I was hoping this would be the year he plays a full season. Nuts.

Wings vs Avs tonight. Although the rivalry isn't what it was a few years back, there's still room for good hearted antagonizing.

Meet the 2007/2008 Official mascot of your Colorado Avalanche:
    http://deadspin.com/sports/male-pros...ver-279803.php
    A 27-year-old man who was posing as a woman when he was arrested by Denver police...climbed into the officer's car and offered to perform a sex act for $30...(he) had long hair and makeup and was wearing an Avalanche jersey.

LW:
    Ryan, Hall, Steen
    Ward

Banned All-Star
    Sounds like Zetts should be back tonight... which is a damn good thing. When was the last time the Wings were shut out before the last loss to the Blues?? anyone know?

Not this year for sure. The announcers for the STL game said that was the first time this year the Wings have been shut out, so you'd have to back to at least last season sometime, if not before.

edit: after a quick check, looks like late APR last season was the last time, a 2-0 loss to SJ (which they subsequently avenged in the 2nd round of the playoffs )
    Last edited by chgorman; 01-02-2008 at 11:30 AM.

2010 Dead Pool Champion All-Star Hockeyis#1's Avatar
    Last regular season shut out was last season against Manny Legace and the Blues

Yeah, and they had the record at that point

Banned All-Star
    Figured I'd bump this and just thank the Big Red Machine for helping me lead the UKHL by over 60 points now I believe. Have to love a league where you pick your team and use only Red Wing players. Must say, the team hasn't let me down much at all

I have a feeling the Dominator will string some good second half SO's together and get close to the 9 he had last year. I was worried at the start of the year about Dom, but like last year he has proved me wrong.

i had a chance to get 3rd row tickets tonight at the joe but im poor.
    "On your BEST day, you're not as smart as I am, on my WORST day." -Judge Judy-

Banned All-Star
    Wow... another SO. The team is rolling, but why is the scoring slumping now?

Also congrats to Chelly for now being the second oldest player to ever play the game! Beat Gordie Chris! you can do it!

Too bad you too poor eyk, out of curiousity what are the ticket prices? My friend in Toronto keeps telling me that they are going to move the team because they can't pack the building and are selling $9 tickets

Clearly he's just jealous that our team is so dominate, but is there any truth to it?

Moonajuana Master All-Star beanz's Avatar
    man, good to see both "over-the-hill" goalies are playing great. possibly, if not hands down, the best 1-2 goalie punch in the league. they are looking real stable and i love the trade off of games and it appears they do too. the Wings, even with the lower scoring of late, just keep gettin it done. Amazing. this team has some great depth, gotta love it!

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnipegWingnut View Post
    Also congrats to Chelly for now being the second oldest player to ever play the game! Beat Gordie Chris! you can do it!
    haha, they where talking about this last night during one of the INT during the Habs game on TSN last night, they said Chelly is in such good shape that they are sure he wants to play at least intill he's 52 years old, so he can break Howe's record, as the oldest player ever to play, means about another 6 years of playing for Chelly

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    haha, they where talking about this last night during one of the INT during the Habs game on TSN last night, they said Chelly is in such good shape that they are sure he wants to play at least intill he's 52 years old, so he can break Howe's record, as the oldest player ever to play, means about another 6 years of playing for Chelly
    I saw the "Be A Player Episode" years back when they showed what Chris and Rob Blake do all summer for work outs. It's pretty damn intense, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did. His body can handle it.

Also on a side note, mad props to the Wings on having 50% of the starting line up for the West All-Stars! That must be close to a record.

I saw the "Be A Player Episode" years back when they showed what Chris and Rob Blake do all summer for work outs. It's pretty damn intense, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did. His body can handle it.
    Yeah I something like that on the two of them, maybe the same show, it was pretty nuts.

Osgood signs extension.......3 year deal.

TSN.ca

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226837&hubname=

Quote Originally Posted by beanz View Post
    man, good to see both "over-the-hill" goalies are playing great. possibly, if not hands down, the best 1-2 goalie punch in the league. they are looking real stable and i love the trade off of games and it appears they do too. the Wings, even with the lower scoring of late, just keep gettin it done. Amazing. this team has some great depth, gotta love it!
    I'd say EASILY the best 1-2 combo in the league, without question.

Banned All-Star
    Just noticed that we have probably one of the toughest challenges of the year coming up. Ottawa - Detroit on Saturday! Should be a solid game, see how the Ottawa goalie (whoeevr it is then) handles all those shots!

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Now only if he would put some points on the board and he'd make a great keeper!

Just noticed that we have probably one of the toughest challenges of the year coming up. Ottawa - Detroit on Saturday! Should be a solid game, see how the Ottawa goalie (whoeevr it is then) handles all those shots!
    The LEafs are in SJ Sat, right? Does that mean this might be the early game with the Leafs in the late game on CBC? Or is either game an afternoon game?

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    The LEafs are in SJ Sat, right? Does that mean this might be the early game with the Leafs in the late game on CBC? Or is either game an afternoon game?
    i just skipped ahead on my cable box and ur correct. it shows det -vs- ott as the early game and tor -vs- sj as the late game.
    "On your BEST day, you're not as smart as I am, on my WORST day." -Judge Judy-

Quote Originally Posted by eykwingnut View Post
    i just skipped ahead on my cable box and ur correct. it shows det -vs- ott as the early game and tor -vs- sj as the late game.
    Nice! Should be a great Wings/OTT game. Both teams should be pretty jacked up for it! Then Tosk facing his old team. Should be a good night for hockey watching, around here anyway.

Thread Information