Page 1 of 115 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Banned All-Star

Detroit Red Wings Thread - Enough of us here

So I figured since the Leafs have their own thread, there are tons of us Wing nuts here to have our own as well.

To be honest I don't have many complaints about our team right now. Ozzy has been solid, so I hope Babcock keeps playing him over the old man. Might be nice to see Jimmy Howard come up for a game or two and see how he is progressing.

The one thing I have noticed for many years that we do need is a tough guy. Lilja can't be fighting guys like Phaneuf as he did (sort of) last night. Other teams know they can hit one of our top players and get away with it.

On a side not, wow, Hudler got his bell rung by Phaneuf, great hit.

keep downey in the line-up.
    keep ur head up hudler.
    keep hasek on the bench.
    keep those hits coming kronwall.
    keep zetterberg and datsyuk together.
    keep paying that price in front of the net holmstrom, ur my hero.
    "On your BEST day, you're not as smart as I am, on my WORST day." -Judge Judy-

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnipegWingnut View Post
    So I figured since the Leafs have their own thread, there are tons of us Wing nuts here to have our own as well.

To be honest I don't have many complaints about our team right now. Ozzy has been solid, so I hope Babcock keeps playing him over the old man. Might be nice to see Jimmy Howard come up for a game or two and see how he is progressing.

The one thing I have noticed for many years that we do need is a tough guy. Lilja can't be fighting guys like Phaneuf as he did (sort of) last night. Other teams know they can hit one of our top players and get away with it.

On a side not, wow, Hudler got his bell rung by Phaneuf, great hit.
    'Tough guys' - in the traditional 'goon' sense of the word -don't fit their system though. They need guys who can stand up for their teammates but also keep up with the play, play solid defensively, and contribute a couple sog's and a nice pass or two here and there. That's why I really like what they've done by getting Drake and Downey. Neither are heavyweights, but both can go, can hold their own with just about anybody when it comes to the fisticuffs (Downey moreso than Drake, but Drake can still toss the knobs), but can also keep up with their other resposibilities for the most part and contribute in other ways as well.

I'd obviously love to see a Probie type guy come up through the system, as he's the epitome of a tough mofo who could also score regularily, but those are once in a lifetime type players and don't come along everyday. For now, I like what Downey and Drake give them.

That aside, Kron needs to start producing more offensively, Hudler needs to ditch the inconsistency and start scoring more regularily, the 2nd line needs to provide 2nd line type offence, and Hasek needs to get back to playing good hockey (but with the way Ozzie is playing, I don't see any big need for Dom to get back on track right away, certainly not a desperation situation), but the team as a whole is still pretty dominating most nights (except against CHI, lol), so I personally don't have too many concerns at this point. As long as they don't suffer any major injuries, I only see them getting better as the season goes along, as the young guns mature a little more and get more used to getting regular icetime, which is a bit of a scary thought for the rest of the league.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Any reason why they give up a bunch more shots when Osgood is in net??

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    They are probably more confident in Ozzy than Dom. Let's face it Hasek usually gives up one easy one a game, and usually gives the puck away at least once a game. The less this guy see's/touches the puck the better!

I see what your saying chgor... I just don't like seeing Lilja going to fight Phaneuf. Let's face it, if Lilja didn't hold on for dear life and trip Phaneuf, Dion would have killed him! It's hard to find a good play making tough guy, but come on, there has to be another guy like McCarty out there somewhere? I still remember his hat trick in the playoffs! That was awesome. Too bad the guy has more debt than the US government right now and got his life off track.

Interesting tid bit I heard on That's Hockey last night. Detroit has the most scouts of any NHL team! No wonder we keep landing these gems in late rounds. Of course Kenny also said part of it is luck! haha

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eykwingnut View Post
    keep ur head up hudler.
    haha, that was a great hit last night, Dion is the man when it comes to hits.

They are probably more confident in Ozzy than Dom. Let's face it Hasek usually gives up one easy one a game, and usually gives the puck away at least once a game. The less this guy see's/touches the puck the better!

I see what your saying chgor... I just don't like seeing Lilja going to fight Phaneuf. Let's face it, if Lilja didn't hold on for dear life and trip Phaneuf, Dion would have killed him! It's hard to find a good play making tough guy, but come on, there has to be another guy like McCarty out there somewhere? I still remember his hat trick in the playoffs! That was awesome. Too bad the guy has more debt than the US government right now and got his life off track.

Interesting tid bit I heard on That's Hockey last night. Detroit has the most scouts of any NHL team! No wonder we keep landing these gems in late rounds. Of course Kenny also said part of it is luck! haha
    If the fight happened immediately after the hit, then it could simply be a case of a) Lilja was the toughest guy on the ice for the Wings when it happend, or b) he was closest to Dion when it happened (aside from Huds, obviously), or c) both.

I'm sure if Downey had've been out there, he woulda done some damage, and Drake probably woulda at least got in Dion's face, but I'm guessing Lilja was the best/only option out there when it happened, so he jumped in.

If the fight happened a few minuites after the hit, then that's a different story, not sure why they woulda sent Lilja out to take on Phaneuf.

But yeah, would nice to have a McCarty type guy back in the mix if he could get his life together, however he's gettin old, and he's a guy in the Probert mold (although obviously not nearly as good) that don't come along every day.

Would love to see the Wings get a guy like Carcillo, but Wayne is in love with him and won't be giving him up anytime soon, if ever. Wouldn't mind seeing Avery back in a Wings uni now that he's deveolped his overall game a bit more, but I'm happy with what they've got now.

Banned All-Star
    Yeah you're probably right, Lilja decided to step up and send a message. Pretty sure Hudler was with Sammy and Filupplia (sp?) so neither of them would be dropping the mitts. I think that Lebda was the other D-man, so Lilja probably was the best option.

In NHL 2008 Lilja is always the guy that drops the mitts for my team when playing on the net! hahaha... he kicks ass then

What ever happened to Bootland? If I remember right though the guy had zero skill.

Yeah you're probably right, Lilja decided to step up and send a message. Pretty sure Hudler was with Sammy and Filupplia (sp?) so neither of them would be dropping the mitts. I think that Lebda was the other D-man, so Lilja probably was the best option.

In NHL 2008 Lilja is always the guy that drops the mitts for my team when playing on the net! hahaha... he kicks ass then

What ever happened to Bootland? If I remember right though the guy had zero skill.
    I think he's with the Isles org now. He was tough, but I don't think he was overly large, and didn't have much else to offer.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    I think he's with the Isles org now. He was tough, but I don't think he was overly large, and didn't have much else to offer.
    Yeah... I do remember he wasn't the biggest scariest guy around. Too bad we didn't get a guy like Shane O'Brien, a D-man that can scrap with the best of em and also add in offensively.

Yeah... I do remember he wasn't the biggest scariest guy around. Too bad we didn't get a guy like Shane O'Brien, a D-man that can scrap with the best of em and also add in offensively.
    yeah, that certainly would be nice. Sounds like Kindl's developed a bit of a mean streak, although he's not much of a fighter, but still should add some more physical presence when he makes the team next year. Kindl/Kron would be a pretty hard hitting 2nd D line to have to play against behind Lids and Raffy.

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
    I think teams just play differently in front of different net minders. The Wings are clearly more confident with WasGood in the net this season. SJ had the same issue happening with Nabby and Tosk early/mid way thru last season.. Only Nabby got little to no goal support, where as the Sharks seemed to light it up when Tosk was in the net. It was quite strange..

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bong Beer Pants View Post
    I think teams just play differently in front of different net minders. The Wings are clearly more confident with WasGood in the net this season. SJ had the same issue happening with Nabby and Tosk early/mid way thru last season.. Only Nabby got little to no goal support, where as the Sharks seemed to light it up when Tosk was in the net. It was quite strange..
    Then what's the difference in Leaf land? Different shooters in the East takes time for Toskala to adjust?

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Then what's the difference in Leaf land? Different shooters in the East takes time for Toskala to adjust?
    Hey Pete I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? Are you implying that Tosk isn't getting any goal support in Toronto, or something entirely different? I don't follow the Leafs closely enough to have an informed opinion here, but I've been under the impression that the Leafs have been a pretty high scoring team this season, however, their defensive unit as a whole is quite horrendous. Are Raycroft and Toskala's numbers quite different or something? I'm not sure if it matters who is in net for Toronto at this point, or how you can justly compare the two teams of Toronto and SJ (who clearly has a much stronger defensive unit in front of their net)

(Sorry guys I know this is a RedWing thread and we are suddenly talking about the ML goaltending, but it was semi-related there for a second, and I'm quite sure this thread will find it's way back on track soon enough!)

Banned All-Star
    No prob Sponger! I agree though, Toronto's expensive blue line doesn't compare defensively to SJ's. Plus SJ has this one guy that makes every player on the ice look amazing.... and Toronto... well, Sundin is good, but not Joe Thornton good.

Moonajuana Master All-Star beanz's Avatar
    GO WINGS!!!

that should get things back on track....

According to Rotoworld, Kopecky practiced with Drake and Downey. There's your toughness 'Peg. Kopecky is fairly large, all three can lay big hits, and two of three can fight (although I beleive all three have dropped 'em at some point this season). I like the look of this line as a solid checking/4th line with both Drapes and Maltby out.

However, rotoworld is saying Meech practiced at forward with Franzen and Cleary - there's an unremarkable 3rd line if I ever saw one.

Banned All-Star
    What happened to Draps and Maltby? I remember Draper had to be helped off the ice last game, was it that bad?

Yeah that's a solid "tougher" line... I'll give you that.

Forgot to mention, did you see Dats not once but TWICE beat three Flames players to score... man that guy is good.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    I heard Draper is out one to two weeks.

THE authority All-Star
    I knew Holmstrom was due to put up some big numbers, I just didn't think Zetts would be this dominant over Datsyuk. His game has evolved so much faster than Datsyuk's. Datsyuk has held pretty steady with slight increases each year, Zetts has improved DRAMATICALLY. Wow. Good on him!

I am a steamroller of truth, paving the highway to the future, expect delays!

Here is the plate of truth you ordered. Be careful, it's HOT!

You might want to add water......this is some concentrated truth.

What happened to Draps and Maltby? I remember Draper had to be helped off the ice last game, was it that bad?

Yeah that's a solid "tougher" line... I'll give you that.

Forgot to mention, did you see Dats not once but TWICE beat three Flames players to score... man that guy is good.
    Drapes - sprained knee. Couldn't have been to bad though, as he drove himself to the hospital after he left the game. Docs are saying 10-14 days, but Drapes himself is saying no more than 10. Not sure where's he's getting that from, 'cause he's certainly not a doc. Probably just wishful thinking, kinda like the docs telling Avery he'll be out a month but him saying it'll only be two wks.

Maltby - shoulder issues. Not sure what, exactly, but sounds like it may just be soreness. He's questionable right now, but could probably play if absolutely necessary, would most definitely be playing if it was playoffs. But since Kopecky, Drake and Downey are all healthy at the same time, and with Meech getting an experimental tryout at forward, no real rush to get Malts back.

And yes, both of Dats' goals on Tues night were SICK, however he really only beat one guy on the first one. The other two Flames were in the area, but weren't really hassling him, as oppsed the 2nd one where he actually managed to get the puck through three Flames to get the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7C5osU6yx4

P.S. Kipper sure took one off the noggin. Lids doesn't get much credit for his shot, but the guy can absolutely BLAST it when he wants to.

Sweet goal by Kopecky last night. Goal is around the 30 sec mark of the clip.

http://broadband.tsn.ca/tsn/?id=348&vid=23482

Banned All-Star
    Yeah I saw that! VERY nice!

Another great win by the Wings! Did you know that the Lightning haven't won at JLA since 1994 I believe they said.

Is that crazy or what???

Banned All-Star
    Oh ya... and with the Ottawa loss combined with our win we're first in the NHL again! Good job guys!

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    Yeah I saw that! VERY nice!

Another great win by the Wings! Did you know that the Lightning haven't won at JLA since 1994 I believe they said.

Is that crazy or what???
    It is impressive but loses a little because they're in different conferences and don't play that often. Philly hasn't lost in Vancouver since 01/18/89 but, because of retarded scheduling, that is only 13 games. Still impressive, though.

Moonajuana Master All-Star beanz's Avatar
    yeah, it's been some solid play by the Wings lately. can't complain. def like having Kopecky and Drake back in the lineup

Banned All-Star
    Forgot to mention this yeasterday... Lilja drops the mitts again! Is it just me or does Lilja put on the good show dropping the mitts, taking off the helmet, etc and then he just holds on and takes the guy down?? hahaha

Forgot to mention this yeasterday... Lilja drops the mitts again! Is it just me or does Lilja put on the good show dropping the mitts, taking off the helmet, etc and then he just holds on and takes the guy down?? hahaha
    He doesn't *seem* all that tough, but he's a big body, and seems to have no problem standing up for his teammates (and is decent defensively), so I don't mind having him around at all. Truthfully, I'd much rather see Kindl in his spot, developing his NHL game on the 3rd pairing, but I'm guessing that'll come after this season, as Lilja is FA at the EOS, isn't he?

Banned All-Star
    I like Lilja.... but if you're going to scrap then drop the mitts and toss em, don't just hold on and take the guy down.

I like Lilja.... but if you're going to scrap then drop the mitts and toss em, don't just hold on and take the guy down.
    Well, like I said, although he's big, and can throw a decent hit (although the one that led to that fight looked a little dirty), he doesn't seem overly tough, so maybe he just doesn't bother trying to go blow for blow, and just tries to hold on. Seems to me like it's more about the message he's sending by dropping 'em with somebody than actually trying to pummel someone's face. In this particular incident, he was probably just trying to defend himself after laying a bit of a cheap hit, as opposed to sending a message.

I agree with you, would be nice if he started tossing some fists, but I'm just happy that he's willing to stand up for himself and his teammates to some extent, which is something that's been missing the past few years before Drake/Downey, and before Lilja started playing more physically.

Thread Information