Page 51 of 487 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 14588
  1. #1501
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,586
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnipegWingnut View Post
    Blake and McCabe for Emery??? How bout it??
    As much as I want to see them go, and get some change with the Leafs, and get younger, HELL NO, I would rather keep them then have Emery.
    Last edited by two24four; 05-23-2008 at 11:50 AM.

  2. #1502
    Fukufuji All-Star fuji9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    Possibly THE worst trade ever, for both teams.
    That's right up there with something islanders would do but its not one sided enough

    2001 - Alexei Yashin, ottawa's first-ever draft pick, is now a member of the New York Islanders, traded yesterday for towering defenceman Zdeno Chara, right wing Bill Muckalt and this year's No. 2 draft pick, who turned out to be Jason Spezza, likely the Senators' next poster boy.
    (Why oh why would the senators get rid of Chara and keep Redden doo!!!)

    For Toronto Raycroft has to be the biggest blown move in the last 10 years or so.

    I hope the new management makes better decisions that is of course if the consortium of school teachers stays the heck out of it.

    14 Team H2H | G,A,+/-,PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG | W, SV, SV%, GGA, SO | 2C 2R 2L 1Util 3D 2G (3 min starts)
    C = Gomez, Sakic, Bergeron, Fedorov | LW = Heatley, Smyth, Bertuzzi,Stillman | RW = Selanne, Cheechoo, HavSplat
    D = Timonen,
    Rozsival | Goalies = Brodeur, Toskala, | IR = Gonchar, Leclaire

  3. #1503
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,086
    Quote Originally Posted by fuji9991 View Post
    For Toronto Raycroft has to be the biggest blown move in the last 10 years or so.
    He wasn't as bad as a lot of other guys. At the time it wasn't a terrible move either because if Raycroft panned out it would have been an amazing move to get him on a bounce back year and he's also very young. I guess with all the goalie prospects they figured they could gamble on an unproven goalie.

  4. #1504
    Banned All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Age
    37
    Posts
    9,858
    Quote Originally Posted by kamranish View Post
    He wasn't as bad as a lot of other guys. At the time it wasn't a terrible move either because if Raycroft panned out it would have been an amazing move to get him on a bounce back year and he's also very young. I guess with all the goalie prospects they figured they could gamble on an unproven goalie.
    For what they gave up, and the salary they dished out it was a bad deal... almost as bad as Gilmour or Nolan.

  5. #1505
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    42
    Posts
    17,801
    So, I pulled chute on my Friday plans and ended up watching the Marlies game. Pogge was great and all 3 goals (the 4th was an Empty Net) were PP goals...2 of them there was no way anybody would have saved them. I had read that the penalties seemed kinda one-sided and while the Marlies did deserve some of them for stupid plays, the ref's missed a lot of Chicago calls...A LOT! The Marlies were up 2-0, then had to deal with a 5-on-3...CHI quickly scored...then they scored another during the 5-on-4.

    The Marlies probably would have lost the series anyway, but in my eyes, they got hosed a bit.

  6. #1506
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,086
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnipegWingnut View Post
    For what they gave up, and the salary they dished out it was a bad deal... almost as bad as Gilmour or Nolan.
    Peca, Housley, Gill, and Belak, to me, while not as pricey, were all far worse because Toronto was getting players that didn't make sense to the flow of the game. There are others, of course, but those ones stick out.

  7. #1507
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    42
    Posts
    17,801
    Quote Originally Posted by kamranish View Post
    Peca, Housley, Gill, and Belak, to me, while not as pricey, were all far worse because Toronto was getting players that didn't make sense to the flow of the game. There are others, of course, but those ones stick out.
    How was Gill @ $1.9mm a bad signing? I think he's hugely underrated myself.

  8. #1508
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,586
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    How was Gill @ $1.9mm a bad signing? I think he's hugely underrated myself.
    That would be Hal "Skill" as the Pens now call him

  9. #1509
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,086
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    How was Gill @ $1.9mm a bad signing? I think he's hugely underrated myself.
    At the time, considering the "new look" NHL which relied on speed over size, Gill was a terrible acquisition. I would have rather had Bergeron or someone to compliment Kaberle. It didn't make sense for the Leafs at the time and even though he proved to be a good stay at home defenseman, I think it was a mistake. Being huge and waving your stick around really shouldn't count as defense anymore.

  10. #1510
    Senior Member All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,521
    RE: Rask v Pogge:

    According to the Boston Globe, GM Peter Chiarelli has stated that Tuukka Rask understands that he will need to improve over a full season in the AHL before being considered for NHL duty, so he will remain in Providence for at least another year, if there were any doubt.


    http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1114/1/

    I think its still way too early to decide which goalie is better. Raycroft still blows though.


  11. #1511
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    42
    Posts
    17,801
    Quote Originally Posted by kamranish View Post
    At the time, considering the "new look" NHL which relied on speed over size, Gill was a terrible acquisition. I would have rather had Bergeron or someone to compliment Kaberle. It didn't make sense for the Leafs at the time and even though he proved to be a good stay at home defenseman, I think it was a mistake. Being huge and waving your stick around really shouldn't count as defense anymore.
    Gill's number in 1 2/3 seasons in Toronto;

    Year Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM PPG PPA SHG SHA GW GT SOG Pct
    2006-07 TOR 82 6 14 20 11 91 0 0 0 1 1 0 79 .076
    2007-08 TOR 63 2 18 20 0 52 0 0 0 1 0 0 69 .029

    Not bad for a guy making the league average salary.

    (I get what you're saying Kam that he would have appeared a dumb signing for the new NHL, but I was pleasantly surprised when he became our solid back-end guy who put up some surprising point totals given that he a pylon!)
    Last edited by b_illin; 05-26-2008 at 10:16 AM.

  12. #1512
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,586
    I would love to see us sign Justin Azevedo from the Kitchener Rangers, I'm pretty sure he's a UFA seeing as he was passed over in the last two NHL draft's.

    This kid had an un-real season, he won the OHL reg season scoring race with 43 goals, 81 assists for 124 Pts, won the OHL scoring race in the playoffs with 10 goals, 26 assists for 36 Pts in 20 playoff games, good for the OHL MVP for both the reg season and the playoffs, and this past weekend he won the MVP for the entire CHL.

    Then this week at the Memorial Cup he was 1st again in Pts with 4 goals, 7 assists for 11 Pts in 5 games, in the semi final game vs Belleville he had 3 goals and 2 assists alone in that game.

    I know he's only 5'8 180lbs, but I dont care, if guys like St. Louis can play in the NHL I'm sure he can as well, plus if he was to be a bust in the NHL, it's not like we wasted a pick or players to get him, I hope they sign him fast, cause I'm sure 29 other teams are also looking into him.

    Add up all his Pts, Reg season, OHL playoffs, and the Memorial Cup, that's 171 Pts this year for him.
    Last edited by two24four; 05-26-2008 at 01:08 PM.

  13. #1513
    Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,718
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    I would love to see us sign Justin Azevedo from the Kitchener Rangers, I'm pretty sure he's a UFA seeing as he was passed over in the last two NHL draft's.

    This kid had an un-real season, he won the OHL reg season scoring race with 43 goals, 81 assists for 124 Pts, won the OHL scoring race in the playoffs with 10 goals, 26 assists for 36 Pts in 20 playoff games, good for the OHL MVP for both the reg season and the playoffs, and this past weekend he won the MVP for the entire CHL.

    Then this week at the Memorial Cup he was 1st again in Pts with 4 goals, 7 assists for 11 Pts in 5 games, in the semi final game vs Belleville he had 3 goals and 2 assists alone in that game.

    I know he's only 5'8 180lbs, but I dont care, if guys like St. Louis can play in the NHL I'm sure he can as well, plus if he was to be a bust in the NHL, it's not like we wasted a pick or players to get him, I hope they sign him fast, cause I'm sure 29 other teams are also looking into him.

    Add up all his Pts, Reg season, OHL playoffs, and the Memorial Cup, 171 Pts this year.
    Getting their hands on this kid would definitely be a step in the right direction for the Leafs, after missing out on some of the other unsigned FA's out there (Bruunstrom, Leino, etc)

  14. #1514
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    42
    Posts
    17,801
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    I would love to see us sign Justin Azevedo from the Kitchener Rangers, I'm pretty sure he's a UFA seeing as he was passed over in the last two NHL draft's.

    This kid had an un-real season, he won the OHL reg season scoring race with 43 goals, 81 assists for 124 Pts, won the OHL scoring race in the playoffs with 10 goals, 26 assists for 36 Pts in 20 playoff games, good for the OHL MVP for both the reg season and the playoffs, and this past weekend he won the MVP for the entire CHL.

    Then this week at the Memorial Cup he was 1st again in Pts with 4 goals, 7 assists for 11 Pts in 5 games, in the semi final game vs Belleville he had 3 goals and 2 assists alone in that game.

    I know he's only 5'8 180lbs, but I dont care, if guys like St. Louis can play in the NHL I'm sure he can as well, plus if he was to be a bust in the NHL, it's not like we wasted a pick or players to get him, I hope they sign him fast, cause I'm sure 29 other teams are also looking into him.

    Add up all his Pts, Reg season, OHL playoffs, and the Memorial Cup, that's 171 Pts this year for him.
    IS there talk of the Leafs getting him or are you just saying?

  15. #1515
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,586
    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    IS there talk of the Leafs getting him or are you just saying?
    No, this is just me hoping we can sign him, cause I love this kids game.

    The way I look at it, if we did sign him, it would be like having two 1st round picks this season.

  16. #1516
    Senior Member Second Liner
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    683
    someone should drop fletcher an email about this kid
    14 teams Rotisserie (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO) Draft Trade FA
    C: Horcoff, Getzlaf
    LW: Zetterberg,
    Cammarlleri RW: St Louis, Hemsky
    D: Chara, Markov, Wideman, Enstrom
    Utl:
    Elias G: Lundy, DiPietro
    BN: Conklin,
    Gagne (IR), Bouchard, Boyle (IR) Avery (IR)

  17. #1517
    .. All-Star WIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,739

    Leaf Sighting II

    Quote Originally Posted by b_illin View Post
    I met Antropov yesterday at Cdn. Tire - I was surprised as I thought he'd be bigger (he is listed at 6'6" but looked maybe 6'4")
    Got shmammered over the weekend and ended up running into Wellwood downtown.
    My friends and I were both surprised at how small this guy is. He's like my height at 5'9" - 5'10". Oh well it was a good time, although I felt like a dick when a friend of mine was introducing him to us and I just went, "I know who this is" and skipped right over my buddy - who is friends with him - and chatted it up with Kyle.

  18. #1518
    Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Windsor,ON
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Got shmammered over the weekend and ended up running into Wellwood downtown.
    My friends and I were both surprised at how small this guy is. He's like my height at 5'9" - 5'10". Oh well it was a good time, although I felt like a dick when a friend of mine was introducing him to us and I just went, "I know who this is" and skipped right over my buddy - who is friends with him - and chatted it up with Kyle.
    Did he say anything remotely close to how hard he is working out and practicing to improve his game?
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

  19. #1519
    Informative Asshole Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Got shmammered over the weekend and ended up running into Wellwood downtown.
    Awesome word.

  20. #1520
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    42
    Posts
    17,801
    Quote Originally Posted by kamranish View Post
    Awesome word.
    yeah, shit-hammered is a great description!

  21. #1521
    .. All-Star WIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,739
    Quote Originally Posted by sdubzz View Post
    Did he say anything remotely close to how hard he is working out and practicing to improve his game?
    Nah. He didn't seem like he was in a good mood. He mostly kept to himself. I think with the uncertainty of where he'll play next season put him in a confused state of mind.

  22. #1522
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,127
    Matt Stajan has been working out at my school the last few weeks. Haven't talked to him yet though. Theres 5 or 6 guys together. I was working out at the same time as Cogliano the other day. Wolski comes in sometimes too.

  23. #1523
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,586
    Well here some good news, Nikolai Kulemin (2006, 2nd round pick, who some are saying was a steal in the 2nd round) will be a Leaf next year for sure.

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hock..._in_welcoming/

  24. #1524
    .. All-Star WIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,739
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Well here some good news, Nikolai Kulemin (2006, 2nd round pick, who some are saying was a steal in the 2nd round) will be a Leaf next year for sure.

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hock..._in_welcoming/
    Doesn't surprise me. They were saying he was going to play this year last season.

  25. #1525
    * * * * * * Hall of Famer b_illin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    42
    Posts
    17,801
    This is a Star article, so I am trying to remember that they are probably just fanning the (non-existent) flames, but this pisses me off. If Mats leaves (instead of retiring or, resigning with the Leafs...which I am ok with ONLY if he doesn't get a NTC), I will forever resent him for not agreeing to be moved at the deadline. The dude can let his morals keep his all warm and fuzzy because I don't think Leaf Nation would like it very much if he wouldn't go to MTL or DET at the deadline...but he would as a UFA!

    http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/432738#

    Sundin ponders life without Leafs


    Outcome of GM search 'is going to affect my decision,' captain says
    May 29, 2008 04:30 AM
    Paul Hunter
    SPORTS REPORTER
    PITTSBURGH–Mats Sundin has opened the door to playing somewhere other than with the Toronto Maple Leafs next season.
    And it may be the Leafs' management follies that ultimately push him through it.
    "My dream and the best scenario would be if I ended my career as a Toronto Maple Leaf. That hasn't changed. But I'm not going to say that I'm not going to play anywhere else either, because I'm not really in control of that," Sundin said after an NHL awards ceremony here yesterday.
    "It feels like my decision is going to come after there's going to be some other stuff going on with the Toronto Maple Leafs and I'll see what happens there. I'll have to make my decision after that.
    "I do think I have a lot of different options I can explore."
    It was typical Sundin, a statement but with qualifiers and vagaries and, as always, layered with an unwavering loyalty to the Leafs.
    But Sundin seemed more willing than ever yesterday to publicly examine the reality of the Leafs' situation, and the possibility of moving on, after he picked up the Mark Messier Leadership Award at a luncheon.
    He said he wants a firm understanding of what is going on with the Leafs' front office before he signs, if he signs, in Toronto. He left the impression that if he doesn't like what he hears, he'll be gone.
    "I'd like to know what's going to happen in the general manager position, whether Cliff (Fletcher) is going to be in charge this year or is there a new guy going to be coming in? I do think that's going to be important," he said. "Obviously, what's going to happen in Toronto is going to be very interesting. And it's going to affect my decision in the future."
    Telling, too, was the time frame he is now putting on his decision about whether he will return to Toronto for a 14th season. The expectation had been that he would let the Leafs know his intentions in early June. Now, he's saying it could be another four to six weeks before he decides.
    Not only does that give more time to Toronto to sort out its front-office confusion, it also takes Sundin into the free-agency period that begins July 1. That's when his $5.5 million contract will expire.
    The word in NHL circles is that Sundin's friends and his agent, J.P. Barry, have been urging the 37-year-old at least explore the possibilities as an unrestricted free agent, even if he does ultimately re-sign with the Leafs. Montreal and Detroit, two teams that pursued the centre at the trade deadline, are thought to be very interested.
    When told of Sundin's new time frame yesterday, Fletcher theorized that Sundin "maybe wants to have a look to see what is out there in free agency, which is his right."
    Sundin, who has been at home in Sweden, plans on being in Toronto until Sunday and Fletcher is counting on sitting down with him before he flies home. Sundin, however, seemed unaware of any meeting and said hadn't talked to the interim GM since the end of the season.
    That might be a communication breakdown as Fletcher said he recently spoke to Barry and the agent is going to arrange the get-together.
    When told of Sundin's arm's-length approach to a future in Toronto until the team's management situation is clarified, Fletcher said there are things he will be able to share with his captain that aren't for public consumption.
    "That why I think it's important that we have this meeting," said Fletcher. "I'm sure there are also things he'll tell me that he wouldn't express in the media."
    Sundin, who is getting married this summer, said he won't come back in a supporting role; he wants to be a key contributor with the Leafs or elsewhere.
    "I felt very strong on the ice this year and I felt I had as good of a year as I've had in my past 10 years, maybe. Maybe that would be an argument for me to play next year. But I don't know. I don't have a decision on that made yet," Sundin said.
    "I think, personally, I want to be able to play at the level that I have the last little while. ... (I'd) find it tough for me to have a smaller role on the team, too, to continue my career. So we'll see what happens."

  26. #1526
    Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,127
    Armstrong is out of the picture now for the GM job. Who's left?

  27. #1527
    .. All-Star WIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,739
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneuf6 View Post
    Armstrong is out of the picture now for the GM job. Who's left?
    You know I wasn't really disappointed when I heard this news.

    Does anybody think that they're waiting for the season to be over to approach Scotty B once again since they're promising full autonomy of the team like Colangelo has with the Raps?

  28. #1528
    Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,586
    Sounds like they are going to hire a few people for the job, not just one person, most teams are now trying to do what DET does, with a team of guys in the front office, look at Dallas now, or St. Louis, most teams now wont just have one GM anymore.

    Sounds like they want Nonis, plus another couple of guys.

  29. #1529
    .. All-Star WIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,739
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Sounds like they are going to hire a few people for the job, not just one person, most teams are now trying to do what DET does, with a team of guys in the front office, look at Dallas now, or St. Louis, most teams now wont just have one GM anymore.

    Sounds like they want Nonis, plus another couple of guys.
    If that's the case then forget about Bowman, eh.
    I believe he wanted full control. OH well, Burke, Nonis and others wouldn't be bad either.

  30. #1530
    Senior Member All-Star boredguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,717
    The thinking right now seems to be Fletcher will stay for the next season with Nonis as assistant and then Burke will come in. Which i think is stupid, the team needs to find someone they think can start the rebuilding process and bring him in. Another season of the status quo just makes things worse.

    I don't think they have a shot at Bowman anymore after they fucked it up last season. It's getting hard to be a Leafs fan again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •