Page 437 of 487 FirstFirst ... 337387427435436437438439447 ... LastLast
Results 13,081 to 13,110 of 14588
    Wow, surgical!

I wish they'd have left Spott with the Marlies...

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Sounds like they have now let go of 18 scouts and the pro director of scouting. Shanny is not messing around.

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Spott had a condition that he could go back to the Marlies in his contract but apparently that won't be exercised.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Sounds like they have now let go of 18 scouts and the pro director of scouting. Shanny is not messing around.
    So that 18 doesn't count the coaching staff and others? That's over 20 people. I don't blame him either. I hope he doesn't make the mistake of hiring Blake. Do we really need someone that's inexperienced?

Dreger just said on Leafs Lunch that the deal the Wings and Leafs had for Dion at the deadline was Weiss, Smith and Pulkkinen for Dion but the Leafs wanted Mantha.

Most think they may re-visit this in the summer.

Shanahan said Hunter was the one who made the decision on the scouts. I've said this before, one the best things they did was bring in Hunter. Sounds like he is already running the scouting department which is good.

Edit: Dreger thinks they may go off the board when hiring a GM. He brought up Sean Burke and Mike Futa. Futa is another guy who knows how to scout and help with a rebuild.
    Last edited by two24four; 04-13-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Dreger just said on Leafs Lunch that the deal the Wings and Leafs had for Dion at the deadline was Weiss, Smith and Pulkkinen for Dion but the Leafs wanted Mantha.

Most think they may re-visit this in the summer.
    I certainly don't have any inside info, but personally, I think it'll depend on how Zidlicky does in the playoffs, and if they're happy with him, they'll sign him instead of giving up assets for Phaneuf.

I personally don't see DET giving up Mantha under any circumstances, especially not for Phaneuf, but who knows. If the Leafs reconsider and are willing to pull the trigger on the deal above with Pulkinen instead of Mantha, I could see that happening, but I think TOR would probably have to give more if they need Mantha included in a deal.

If I were Kenny H, I'd be VERY hesitant to trade Mantha within the division, regardless of how much he feels the Wings may need a Dman.

JMO

Phanuef, imo at least, may have played his way back in to the teams future plans - I was very impressed that his compete level seemed to increase when the rest of the 'core' went into turtle mode mailing it in game after game. I'd still deal him for the right return as his play will continue to decline so trade him while we can but I would not be against starting next season with him on the team til we can find that right deal.

Kessel I will begrudgingly except might be a Leaf to start next season as well. I fucking hate him (quel surprise lol!) and I see that he was not suffering through an injury (according to Mirtle at least) which infuriates me beyond belief. I don't want him back but I realize that his value will be so abysmal that the only way to recoup reasonable value for him will be if he rebounds a bit next season. All that said, I really hope some team is willing to give us a decent offer so he can fuck the hell off to some other team.

I'd really like to try to get another top-15 1st rounder somehow once the lottery has taken place and the teams in the 8-16 range might be open to dealing that pick if they get back a Kessel, Kadri, etc. Probably not, but I'd try like crazy!

I'm already highly fatigued from writing the above so I will leave it that for now and perhaps add more thoughts when I can find the energy to think and write about these fucks.

Holland's quote ("you can only shoot so many generals before some soldiers have to go") was spot on - glad the players (or some I should say) realize it!

Leafs nominated Lupul for the King Clancy award.

Well, the draft lottery fucking sucked! Not sure how pumped I am on hanafin as I'd bet eichel & strome will go to buf &.arz

Could see Hunter taking Marner.

I think it will be one of Strome or Marner.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    Man, will the Canes be happy if Hanafin drops that far.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

I think it will be one of Strome or Marner.
    I'd be satisfied with this.

Leafs need a centre to build around that is why I would pass on Hanifin.

Criag Button just did a quick mock on TSN with Strome going 3rd to ARI, Marner to the Leafs at 4th, Hanifin 5th CAR.
    Last edited by two24four; 04-18-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Yeah, we need a C bad. We were quite close to Edmonton in the standings at one point too...they should've benched more players.

If Arizona goes Strome over Hanifin then I really hope Leafs go Marner 4th. Leaving a gift for the Canes at 5th in Hanifin . If the Leafs want to draft a d-man they still can with Nashville's 1st round pick where some d-men like Chabot, Roy, Zboril, Kylington, Carlo etc.... will still be around.

I'd be temped to go two forwards in round 1 though, unless some really good d-man drops way back that they cant pass on.
    Last edited by two24four; 04-20-2015 at 10:21 AM.

I would go with 2 forwards as well and hope that guys like Percy and MacWilliam can take regular spots in the next two seasons, with others like Finn, Loov, Granberg, and Nilsson progressing with the Marlies.

It wouldn't be crazy to see the Leafs D next year look something like:

Dion-Polak
    Gardiner-Rielly
    Percy-MacWilliam
    Robidas

What did we think of Eric Brewer by the way? I meant to ask at the end of the season. I really like what he brings in terms of character, leadership, vet presence etc... just not sure if he can still play 82 games in this NHL.

I'm not a big Brewer fan, but for what you said, they need all three of those things. I'd bring him back for one year if he wants to be here. He's super slow though.

I'd Bring Brewer back for 3 reasons:

1. character, leadership, vet presence etc as Phaneuf stated
    2. We want to be shit and dressing him will help accomplish that...while still giving the kids a positive role model
    3. If he can have a half-decent season he could be traded at the deadline

I would be ok with taking Marner if Strome has been picked...but I have a bad feeling in my gut that he will flame out...typical Leaf luck and all! I know I'll probab;y be wrong because he's so talented and he very well may be the player we all hoped Kessel would become...but didn't..or has yet to. I'm more open to taking Hanifin now as he and Rielly would look great together for many years, but I also think we can nab a decent dman with the NSH pick. (I like Larsson as a late 1st or 2nd rounder...if we can get a 2nd)

The balls move might be to trade back a few spots but I don't think that Shanahan could do that without the pitchforks coming out. Guess we'll see...

PS: I'd like to see them lock Winnik up for 3-4 years and then fill in a lot of holes with vets on 1-yr deals. (I'd bring Olli back as well for example...we can live with guys well past their prime IF they are the type that will play hard and show the kids how to be a NHLer)
    Last edited by b_illin; 04-20-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Interesting tidbits:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...ting-playoffs/

Fun Fact: The Habs have as many playoff wins in the last six days as the Leafs have in the past 11 years
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Some pretty good players who were picked 4th overall.

2014- Sam Bennett
    2013- Seth Jones
    2010- Ryan Johansen
    2009- Evander Kane
    2008- Alex Pietrangelo
    2006- Nicklas Backstrom
    2004- Andrew Ladd
    1997- Roberto Luongo
    1993- Paul Kariya
    1990- Mike Ricci

Lot of people think ARI like Strome. If so let's hope for Marner. I'm not really worried about Marner not turning out. As long as they do what is best and that is send him (Strome too if they draft him) back to Jr for two more seasons. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Hanifin, I really think they need one of Strome or Marner more IMO. I'm just hoping it's not Crouse at 4.

If Strome is off the board I would think it would be tough for Hunter to pass on Marner. No one knows Marner like Hunter does.

Why were the first 2 games at the Ricoh for the Marlies? (Shouldn't those games been in Grand Rapids?)

First round in the AHL is best if 5. The higher seed gets to pick how they want the series, GR picked to play the 1st two on the road. Next three (if it goes the full 5) will all be in GR. Every top seed in the AHL West picked it this way.
    Last edited by two24four; 04-26-2015 at 07:05 PM.

I didn't know this: http://thehockeywriters.com/the-nash...le-leafs-gain/

So even though the Predators have been eliminated their draft position hasn't been set yet? I thought that it's once you're eliminated then you get your position, but apparently you have to wait to see if a lower-seeded team gets eliminated then they have the lower pick.

^ sweet!

Some interesting links within: http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/0...n-next-season/

Maybe babcock would make more sense in 3 years...

I like Loov. Not flashy but could be a 4th dman perhaps. Is anyone else watching the Marlies playoff games?

I'd give EDM dion and whatever else they wanted for McDavid. I know, I know, but I can't help it! 🙊

Ha Edmonton is not trading that top pick. Sportsnet interviewed Chiarelli at the Erie game the other night, he did the entire interview with a smile on his face talking about McDavid. I have never seen a GM smile so much when talking about a player they have not drafted yet.

Hunter was at the game as well.
    Last edited by two24four; 04-30-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Geek Extraordinaire Hall of Famer Hamsterkill's Avatar
    McDavid was probably part of how Edmonton managed to get Chiarelli hired so quick. Almost a free good decision, being the GM who drafts McD.
    Curse of the Hamster
    My first round draft picks:

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterkill View Post
    McDavid was probably part of how Edmonton managed to get Chiarelli hired so quick. Almost a free good decision, being the GM who drafts McD.
    Yes that and players will want to go to Edmonton now just because of McDavid. Players that normally wouldn't want to play in Edmonton will be ok with it now.

Leafs prospect Frederik "The Goat" Gauthier will be playing in the Memorial Cup this year. His team Rimouski has made it to the QMJHL final vs Quebec who is hosting the Memorial Cup this year, so because of that no matter what happens in the QMJHL final Rimouski gets in. He has 13 points in 13 playoff games, 12 of them being assists.

Gauthier isn't flashy but he's a very solid two way player. Great on faceoffs, PK, and he's a big body at 6'4 215 lbs. I could see him being the Leafs 3rd or 4th line centre in a few years. He'll play with the Marlies for a season or two starting next season.

This team does have some good young players with the Marlies.

Connor Brown. (I've said since they drafted him in the 6th round in 2012 that it was a steal)
    William Nylander
    Josh Leivo
    Sam Carrick
    Viktor Loov
    Brendan Leipsic
    Matt Finn
    Stuart Percy
    Antoine Bibeau

Then add in the ones in Jr still.

Frederik Gauthier (Will play for the Marlies next season)
    Carter Verhaeghe (^^ Same)
    Rinat Valiev (Did play 2 games with Marlies)

Plus two 1st's this year. It takes time but building slow is the right way.
    Last edited by two24four; 04-30-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Thread Information