Thread: Lions fans

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    I donít know. I canít figure that one out
    You can cover some things up, but you canít cover all of them up.Ē
    ďAsk him. I donít know.
    It doesnít matter what happened. Heís not here
    Weíre not good enough
    I donít know. That was a hard one for me.Ē

Q: How can you build continuity like that?

A: ďYou canít. And thatís an issue.Ē

The bottom line:ďFans could care less.Ē

Things are looking up....its always been nice to be a Lions fan
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Shaun Rogers to the Browns for Leigh Bodden and a 3rd rounder. I like this way better than the deal to the Bengals for a 3rd and 5th that the league rejected. The Lions are desperate for defensive backs so
    Bodden could fit well and he is young compared to Brian Kelly without having to pay big. There is enough cap space to go after a bigger name like Michael Turner or Alan Faneca. I like both of those players they would both fill a need, if it were up to me I would pursue Faneca and draft Jonathon Stewart in the first round. He would fit perfectly into the Lions new running scheme.
    On a side the Browns make out well here too, Rogers as a nose tackle can be as fat as he wants. Stock your buffets Cleveland.

If we cut Kevin Jones I will miss his seven carries a game Never was a fan of his, I was hopeful when we got T. Bell, but then again I was hopeful with C. Rogers, Mike Williams, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Country View Post
    Shaun Rogers to the Browns for Leigh Bodden and a 3rd rounder. I like this way better than the deal to the Bengals for a 3rd and 5th that the league rejected. The Lions are desperate for defensive backs so
    Bodden could fit well and he is young compared to Brian Kelly without having to pay big. There is enough cap space to go after a bigger name like Michael Turner or Alan Faneca. I like both of those players they would both fill a need, if it were up to me I would pursue Faneca and draft Jonathon Stewart in the first round. He would fit perfectly into the Lions new running scheme.
    On a side the Browns make out well here too, Rogers as a nose tackle can be as fat as he wants. Stock your buffets Cleveland.
    Enlighten me

Quote Originally Posted by sdubzz View Post
    Enlighten me
    More than 10 attempts per game.

More than 10 attempts per game.
    For Kitna?

Im sure you are suggesting they will get a RB....that must be the scheme/plan

WDFN is reporting that Kevin Jones has been released. Good move, overrated player that seemed to be made of glass. There will be a lot of good backs available at pick 15.

Kalimba Edwards also cut. You know that we passed on Clinton Portis for him.

Millen's draft record is great who's left, Ernie Sims and ..... Roy?

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Kalimba Edwards also cut. You know that we passed on Clinton Portis for him.

Millen's draft record is great who's left, Ernie Sims and ..... Roy?
    Megatron!!

Who is going to run the ball....TJ and KJ gone that leaves

Report: Lions re-sign Bell

Well at least they are improving the secondary I suppose.

The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    TAINT BELL

The Lions aren't aiming for a RB in the draft. At least not in the first round. Just about every mock has them looking at a corner back. A few reports that I read out of Detroit also says they have their sights set on Aqib Talib - the corner out of Kansas. Also seen the possibility of a tackle at this spot, Jeff Otah. Personally, I think Talib is a pretty solid choice here and will become a playmaker instantly for that defense.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    The Lions aren't aiming for a RB in the draft. At least not in the first round. Just about every mock has them looking at a corner back. A few reports that I read out of Detroit also says they have their sights set on Aqib Talib - the corner out of Kansas. Also seen the possibility of a tackle at this spot, Jeff Otah. Personally, I think Talib is a pretty solid choice here and will become a playmaker instantly for that defense.
    Most mock drafts are just guesses, and all came out before this news. The Lions are a tough predict because they have legit needs at every position except Wideout, Center, and WILL. The question will come down to value, do they really want the 4th or 5th best DB with the 15th pick. I would take Otah all day long if he were there. The other thing to consider is rush end. The Tampa 2 is useless without the ability to rush the QB and Derrick Harvey out of Florida would fit well. The secondary has been addressed by free agency and trade. Rashard Mendenhall if available would be a good choice so would Felix Jones. The guy, I like Jonathon Stewart may be available in the second round with the toe injury.

Who am I kidding Millen will take a Wide Receiver.

Most mock drafts are just guesses, and all came out before this news. The Lions are a tough predict because they have legit needs at every position except Wideout, Center, and WILL. The question will come down to value, do they really want the 4th or 5th best DB with the 15th pick. I would take Otah all day long if he were there. The other thing to consider is rush end. The Tampa 2 is useless without the ability to rush the QB and Derrick Harvey out of Florida would fit well. The secondary has been addressed by free agency and trade. Rashard Mendenhall if available would be a good choice so would Felix Jones. The guy, I like Jonathon Stewart may be available in the second round with the toe injury.

Thanks made me laugh twice

Thanks made me laugh twice
    The sad part is I was only joking once.

The lions as of today do not have players in the top half of the league as far as talent is concerned at nearly every starting position. During free agency they only sign career backups and former Bucs, and Rams for a while but that problem is gone.

QB- Kitna
    TB- Bell
    FB- Bradley
    TE- Gaines
    RT- Scott
    LT- Backus
    RG- Peterman

Rush End- White
    Strong End- Francis
    NG- Darby
    SAM- Lenon
    MIKE- Nobody
    CB2- Wilson

None of those I listed are legit NFL starters, all are career backups or unproven young players. In the case of a MIKE linebacker, they don't even have one on the roster. Passed on trading down and getting Willis last year in the first and again missed Poslusny in the second for Stanton a QB Martz didn't even want. The sad part about this talent problem is that Jones was a cap move. With all the shit players on this roster the Lions are just 4 Million below the cap...truly pathetic.

I am not really a football fan but I certainly wish the linos would bring some success to Detroit. Detroit is such a football town with some true diehard fans.

Honestly it seems to me that the lion's organization has no interest in winning. They are content with bringing in some fresh faces every once in a while to give the fans a crack addict like does of false hope. They must still be making money loosing so why bother with the cost and stress of building a winning franchise. Kinda like the Toronto Maple Leafs. I don't have much wagered on this turning around any time soon.

Some how I ended up at the game back in the 90's where wayne fontz took the lions to the playoffs and beat Dallas in the first round. Is that the last time the lions have had any success or have they done anything since then?
    Last edited by fuji9991; 03-14-2008 at 09:37 AM.

The sad part is I was only joking once.

The lions as of today do not have players in the top half of the league as far as talent is concerned at nearly every starting position. During free agency they only sign career backups and former Bucs, and Rams for a while but that problem is gone.

QB- Kitna
    TB- Bell
    FB- Bradley
    TE- Gaines
    RT- Scott
    LT- Backus
    RG- Peterman

Rush End- White
    Strong End- Francis
    NG- Darby
    SAM- Lenon
    MIKE- Nobody
    CB2- Wilson

None of those I listed are legit NFL starters, all are career backups or unproven young players. In the case of a MIKE linebacker, they don't even have one on the roster. Passed on trading down and getting Willis last year in the first and again missed Poslusny in the second for Stanton a QB Martz didn't even want. The sad part about this talent problem is that Jones was a cap move. With all the shit players on this roster the Lions are just 4 Million below the cap...truly pathetic.
    Kitna is a career starter... He sat one season behind Palmer. I can't believe you are complaining about Kitna. Blasphemy!
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

There are two or three mocks that I follow that are updated regularly. That Tampa 2 - Talib is the best fit for that.

I do agree, though, that Detroit is pretty hurt right now.

Kitna is a career starter... He sat one season behind Palmer. I can't believe you are complaining about Kitna. Blasphemy!
    Not so much complaining about Kitna though I don't care much for him. Really if you were to inventory the problems with this team he would not even be in the top five. I stand by my point that he is certainly not in the top half of talent league wide and is past his prime (if you can prove he had one), he needs a successor soon. I love Drew Stanton he was a great Spartan, but he never made it through a Big Ten season without injury. He is a great prospect for a career back up though, he is athletic and can come in to a game and scramble around and change it up. I think starter is a stretch though, we'll see.

Dude.... FYI: I was being sarcastic in my little speech about Kitna. I was getting a Bengals jersey made that said F* Kitna because he cost me more money than I don't know what. It truly isn't his fault since all the teams he has been on have basically been shit. For the most part. Last year's Lions team was OK. The thing that clinched him to the "F*" list is the Bengals/49ers game, I believe played in Cincinnati. The Bengals were on the 1 yard line. A QB sneak, a FB blast, a play-action, anything... They go three and out, but go for it on 4th down. Don't make it, but a defensive penalty, automatic 1st down. The same thing... 3 and out. Go for it because a FG wouldn't have mattered wasn't enough time to get the ball back and try to score again. They go for it again on 4th down. He throws a freakin' INT in the end zone. 8 freakin' tries and he ends up throwing a pick. Mother f*cker.... He cost me around $700 that day. F*cker. All I needed was the FG to cover, but no... Knowing that they would go for it... You have to figure 4 plays on the 1 yard line, one of them has to go in. They catch a break on 4th and get a fresh set of downs because of a stupid 49er play. 8 tries and nothing. Bastard!

Kitna? A pick in the red zone? Maybe thats why I call him John E Pickna.
    He constantly drops the ball in his own red zone too.

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Just had a random thought and wanted to see what fellow Lions fans think about this idea... with Shaun Alexander being released by SEA, any of you fellow Leos fans think DET should sign him, since KJ doesn't seem to be the answer and Tatum isn't an every down back, or is Alexander finished, damaged goods?

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    Just had a random thought and wanted to see what fellow Lions fans think about this idea... with Shaun Alexander being released by SEA, any of you fellow Leos fans think DET should sign him, since KJ doesn't seem to be the answer and Tatum isn't an every down back, or is Alexander finished, damaged goods?
    Totally finished, stay away from him.

KJ has been cut BTW.

I would like to see the Lions draft a Left Tackle early then get a Ray Rice or Kevin Smith type back in round 3. Take Mendenhall if he is there at 15.

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    Shaun Alexander is damaged goods, however he is better than what Detroit currently has in the backfield. KJ is gone. I would say risk it if they can get him for cheap. He no longer is the dominant back and he shouldn't command a dominant back's salary. If he does... f*ck him and look elsewhere.

Spartan -- Mendenhall will be there at 15. I love Ray Rice....I think he may be too small for the NFL though.

Surely I like the risk...but I agree with KK. Shaun will command too much salary.

Anybody else hear rumours of Roy being shipped out?

Spartan -- Mendenhall will be there at 15. I love Ray Rice....I think he may be too small for the NFL though.
    I like both Mendenhall and Stewart for this teams running scheme. It's really tough to be critical of any pick at 15 short of a receiver. I just hope they don't reach instead of taking the best available player. Mendenhall would certainly be the best available there. Rumor is they like the DE Harvey and LB Mayo. Mayo would be a reach but again hard to be critical considering there is no MIKE LB on the roster. If they were smart they would target one of the O tackles. They could then move Backus to guard or right tackle where he would be an upgrade to anybody currently starting there. It would be like getting two players with one pick.

Surely I like the risk...but I agree with KK. Shaun will command too much salary.

Alexander would command too much from the Lions, either money they don't have or years they can afford to give. I say roll with what they have and see if you can snag a gem with one of those 3rd round picks.

According to Millen, Roy is not available. I'm not sure if he's that stupid or just driving a hard bargain. Jerry Jones said he would give one of Dallas' first rounder for him, I'd take the deal. There is no reason for a team this bad to pony up for two big time receivers, they have bigger needs elsewhere.

I also heard that Philly is in the hunt giving up a pick and Lito Sheppard.

The Lions final pick.

Caleb Campbell S - Army

Millen's best move ever.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...61402&n8pe6c=2

The Lions final pick.

Caleb Campbell S - Army

Millen's best move ever.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...61402&n8pe6c=2

Drafting a second rounder with the 17th overall pick wasnt his best move????

We suck at drafting. I HATED the Harrington and Jones picks when they happened, but I will admit I was excited about the Mike Williams a few years ago. They did NOTHING to excite me this draft. It was pretty much a waste

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Drafting a second rounder with the 17th overall pick wasnt his best move????

We suck at drafting. I HATED the Harrington and Jones picks when they happened, but I will admit I was excited about the Mike Williams a few years ago. They did NOTHING to excite me this draft. It was pretty much a waste
    See my post in the Winner/Loser thread. The Lions did well today, I promise you. I'm not sure they did it on purpose, but it worked out good.

See my post in the Winner/Loser thread. The Lions did well today, I promise you. I'm not sure they did it on purpose, but it worked out good.
    No....actually they didn't do well.

1 (17) - Gosder Cherilus, OT -- should have went stud running back here. No ands, ifs, buts about it. No question. They didn't. That offense is going to be one dimensional again and its going to get Kitna into trouble.

2 (45) - Jordon Dizon, LB -- OK. The Lions do need help on defense. But again, should have went running back here. They didn't. They could have gotten a running back with the first pick or second pick and still have gotten a Cherilus or Dizon type.

3 (64) - Kevin Smith, RB -- Well...this is the running back the select to replace Kevin Jones and TJ Duckett. The run is in trouble.

3 (87) - Andre Fluellen, DT -- Not a bad pick.

3 (92) - Cliff Avril, DE -- Could have gotten a better DE.

5 (136) - Kenny Moore, WR -- Its gonna be hard for this kid to get his game on when Kitna is always scrambling for his life. If a receiver was on their board, he should have been had in the late 2nd, early 3rd right.

5 (146) - Jerome Felton, FB -- Fullback! Not too many teams truly utilize the fullback anymore.

7 (216) - Landon Cohen, DT -- Nothing special.

7 (218) - Caleb Campbell, S -- This may actually be their best pick. Definitely the value is there where they got him. This kid can play. He could have, should have been a higher pick but since it is rare for a player to come out of the military, I can see why he didn't come out until the 7th.

Without really picking over each team's draft, the only team that I can say did worse at the draft is Philadelphia. Some of the picks are extremely questionable. They needed receiver help. Curtis, Brown, and the rest of that receiving corp is terrible. OK, Curtis has his moments, but he is a #3, slot receiver at best. He isn't a #1. Reggie Brown isn't a #1. Greg Lewis isn't a #1. Hank Baskett isn't a #1. DeSean Jackson isn't a #1, he's a low end #2, #3 at best as well who is going to be forced into the #1 or #2 spot.

I'll rant more on the draft tomorrow... But for now, these are my two big losers for the day.

Thread Information