Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Lions fans

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    fk
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Sad day for Lions fans and football fans in general today. Lions games will never be the same without Calvin. One of the greats, possibly THE greatest WR ever (apologies to Jerry). Thanks for some great memories Megatron.

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-ce...d-dc56763897a9

And you all can keep your 'everyday is a sad day for Lions fans' comments to yourselves... at least for today, haha

Calvin was great but not even close to the GOAT in WR. Rice, Moss, Owens, Fitzy, and Largent were better.

Rice is the only one on your list that you could make an argument for. If Calvin played as long as those others guys did and stayed relatively healthy, he'd have crushed all of their numbers, except for maybe Rice. None of those guys were as dominant and demanded as much attention from defences as Calvin did in his prime, when healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    Rice is the only one on your list that you could make an argument for. If Calvin played as long as those others guys did and stayed relatively healthy, he'd have crushed all of their numbers, except for maybe Rice. None of those guys were as dominant and demanded as much attention from defences as Calvin did in his prime, when healthy.
    You're being a little delusional man. Moss was the most dominant receiver to ever play in this league and even Owens was more dominant than CJ. Don't get me wrong he's an amazing WR and it's too bad he is retiring this early because it's going to cost him the HOF, but I would take most of the WR on that list before CJ when creating a team.

Senior Member Hall of Famer
    For 3 years Calvin was by far the best receiver the NFL has ever seen over any 3 year stretch, but that isn't long enough, and Calvin will have to settle for waiting many turns for his HoF seat and hoping to possibly make it on top 10 all time lists. That's the spot in history he earned. He had all the potential in the world to be the best WR the NFL has ever seen, but he simply never followed up that 3 year streak with anything significant, clearly lost a step quick due to health, and now is retiring way behind the career leaders in every category. It would be irresponsible for us to call him the GOAT with that resume, it would discredit the term entirely.

I mean, fuck dude, ODB, Julio, A-brown, you really think Calvin was in such a unique class these days? All 3 of those guys are every bit as good if not even better on a pure-talent basis, just obviously without Calvins absurd physical stature. All 3 of those guys are having a 2-year stretch that, on a per-game basis, easily rivals Calvin's monstrous 3500 2-year stretch. The whole "attention he demanded from defenses" argument is valid, and speaks loudly to CJ's dominance, BUT, at the end of the day, who the fuck else did the Lions have to defend those years when all the headlines were about Calvin being triple covered? Pettigrew? Titus Young? Come on man.

As far as those records go, Antonio Brown and ODB and Julio have a dramatically higher chance to run away with those records than Calvin did at this point. Lets not forget Demaryius.

PS Fly, depends on your goal for that team. 10 year success? Okay, fine, I'll accept your shit. But you want to win this year, and want the very best and most dominant available for any possible 1 year stretch? You only choose Calvin or Moss. Period.
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-09-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Megatron on a better team with better coaching + mgmt could have been something special.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    There were rumors the last few years that maybe the Patriots would trade for him. Who knows if they were true or not, but man it would have been something to see Brady throwing to him, with Gronk and Edelman as other options down field and BB coaching.

ok, fine, whatevs, he only broke Jerry Rice's long standing single season receiving yds record, but I didn't post to start an argument about how good he was. I shouldn't have included that part. My main point was that it's sad to see him go, it'll be tough watching Lions games this coming season without him, and I wanted to show my respect for him. You guys can continue to discuss if you want, I'm gonna go cry in my pillow some more, haha

Mad respect from b_illin for megatron. (I owned him in multiple keepers since his 1st season...he was very good to me )

I've wanted Megatron off the Lions for years. That contract was one of the worst in NFL history. It cost the Lions Suh which transformed their defense from very good to pretty bad instantaneously. Kudos to a great career but the Lions are better off and can start to at least try to manage themselves wisely this time around with a fresh contract slate. Hopefully they understand you simply don't invest that much in a WR now.

Chg, that record is crazy, but I'm not sure anybody would rank that season ahead of Moss' season with New England. Calvin got 900 yards in the 4th quarter that year, in a 4-12 season where games were often out of reach. Moss got 1600/23 TD when he had to sit on his ass at least 8-10 games that year in the 4th quarter.

I know you're not in the mood to argue about Calvin's talent, just wanted to reply to the point.

Rice for me at #1. Wonder if the Lions knew this they wouldnt have let suh go (with his money i doubt it)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubz View Post
    Rice for me at #1. Wonder if the Lions knew this they wouldnt have let suh go (with his money i doubt it)

I would go as far as to say, that if Calvins contract weren't crippling them at the time, it's a 100% guarantee the Lions would've paid Suh even MORE than what he got in free agency (if necessary) to keep him. Suh was the team MVP in the playoff season. Losing him was fucking awful.

Thats a shitty thought and just leaves an awful taste in my mouth. Talk about a fked up franchise even the Raiders can look down upon.

Again, not wanting to get into a huge debate about Calvin's greatness (or lack thereof, according to some of you), just some food for thought, from MLive:

ran 4.35 forty at the combine... unheard of for a player his size

135 straight games with a reception. Had at least one reception in every single game he played. Was never shut out.

From Nov 14-Dec 22, 2012, put up 8 consecutive 100+ yd gms, more than any player in NFL history. During that 8 gm stretch - 76 receptions for 1254 yds - insane numbers for an 8 gm stretch.

As mentioned before, 'smashed' (not my words) Jerry Rice's single season yardage record in 2012

Caught 122 passes in 2012, 7th most all-time for a single season.

Most yds in a single regulation game (i.e. game that didn't go to OT) all-time with 329 yds in a 2013 game.

fastest player ever to 10,000 receiving yds - 115 gms.

finished with 11,619 receiving yds, 27th all-time, despite retiring at 30. Most above him on the list played into their late 30's or even early 40's

five 200+ yd gms (tied with Lance Allworth for most in history), 15 150+ yd gms, 46 100+ yd gms

86.1 receiving yds per gm avg is best among players who have played at least 100 gms (although looks like Julio will probably beat that)

I haven't looked it up, but I imagine his avg yds per reception is probably top 3 as well, among guys who have played 100+ gms in the past 20 or so yrs.

He won't be considered the GOAT because he never won anything significant (not his fault) and retired early, but his per game averages are insane and IMO is top 3 all-time from a pure skill and athleticism standpoint. He is also an awesome person and the quintessential team player, which he doesn't get enough credit for. Can't say that sort of thing for guys like Moss and Owens.
    Last edited by chgorman; 03-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    A good read about Calvin Johnson, from a different angle:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/06/17/l...vin-johnson-sr

Thx for posting that, Doc. Great story.

Awesome, Doc.

Ugly but gutsy win today. Lions are winning a lot of games they would typically lose, but this 4th qtr comeback stuff is not sustainable over a full season. Better figure out a way to put teams away early(er) for the final 5 games if they want to make the playoffs.

Still, the fact that playoffs are even a reasonable possibility for this team astounds me. Seems like every game is ugly, win or lose. But 2 wins in their next 5 is a reasonable expectation and should get them the division, as crazy as that sounds.

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop now. It's the Lions. They'll figure out a way to fuck it up.

edit: check that. Vikes sched is a joke after DAL next week, so Lions will probably need 3 wins for the division, meaning they'd have to beat one of NO, NYG or DAL on the road, in addition to beating CHI and GB at home. Not impossible, but not entirely likely either. Giants are beatable. NO is always tough at home but are only 2-3 in NO this season. @DAL is a loss. so it's possible, any given Sunday and all that, but I'm not very confident.
    Last edited by chgorman; 11-24-2016 at 04:24 PM.

I wrote them off after blowing it week 1. Im surprised and although i dont get to see many games im not totally shocked. I mean look at the teams in their division. Sure the Lions are pulling out some bs in 4th quarters (multiple times a turnover while trailing on the final drive?) but the other teams are doing them huge favours by fielding even shittier teams (it is hard to say that about GB or Minny to a lesser extent) It could come down to the division wins

Im hopeful they will get in the show but would not bet on it

Uhhggg. Seattle wasn't even that good, the Lions and the refs pretty much handed them that win. Brutal game to watch.

Ya i am done with the NFL after that game (til next weekend anyways)

I hate it when people cry about officiating, but as a Lions fan the bad calls just never seems to end. That isn't why they lost to a superior GB team, but it is frustrating to watch blatant bullshit from the refs. The Dallas playoff game still pisses me off. It's gotten so bad that there are articles dedicate to all of the game changing blatant shitty calls that have gone against the Lions. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/...f-jim-schwartz

The Lions were a weak team this year regardless. One of the most fraudulent playoff teams I can ever remember, pretty much as bad as it gets after those really shitty teams that get in only because they win their division (And even then, the Seattle team that went 7-9 that one year was clearly better than Detroit this year).

Even before Stafford's injury they were lucky to win most of the games they won, and outside of his strong play the team overall was just really bad all year IMO.

I agree, Seattle wasn't that good, because Russel Wilson has been a shell of himself all year (I'm positive its health related and he will be back fine next year), and without Earl Thomas that defense suddenly seems beatable. But to me, Seattle still looked clearly better. We really didn't need to see Detroit vs any of the teams left right now, they would've had no chance.

And yeah, Seattle always seems to get away with 2002 style defensive tactics and its odd that they don't get more PI calls against them. On the flip side, Detroit seems to always land on the wrong side of totally random mistakes by refs. I still don't need to see a bigger story made out of it until the team is good enough to be truly relevant.
    Last edited by Kyle; 01-12-2017 at 07:31 PM.

I said it all year, the Lions played to the level of their opponent. For the first 12 games or so, every game was a close one- it didn't matter who they played.

I really hope they add somebody in the secondary, I think it was far worse than their numbers show. Slay was great, but needs help.
    Last edited by Jake; 01-13-2017 at 10:19 AM.

It would have been interesting if Megatron had played just one more season...he'd have least (probably...butterfly effect) made the playoffs at the least and (butterfly effect) maybe Stafford's finger wouldn't have gotten dinged up. I guess we'll never know...

I don't know, man. A lot of the credit for Staffords pre-injury success was given to the fact that he didn't have Megatron around to force balls to anymore. Another random example, the Cowboys really never looked better this year with Dez Bryant than they did without him, until the final game of the season vs GB. These star wideouts aren't automatic improvements to teams, they're a nice asset to have but just as easily they can ruin a good thing because it only takes one forced throw to your marquee receiver to ruin a game when maybe if that guy wasn't there you would target your Ebrons or Tates a bit easier.

Maybe if Staff/Calvin ever truly achieved elite chemistry, but it was just a pitch and catch show for the most part, it never felt like Jordy+Rodgers or Welker/Edelmen+Brady or Brown+Big Ben and I'm not sure simply adding Calvin to the field this year (essentially removing Boldin/Jones from tons of formations) would've lead to a better Stafford. Stafford was the best he's ever been until his injury.

King Nitbag Hall of Famer Doctego's Avatar
    I think there's a lot of truth to that. He's not nearly as talented as Bryant, but Beasley seemed to be as much of his go-to guy as anyone for a good portion of the season. Having a new guy at QB and missing Bryant for a few games caused Prescott to have to spread it around. Having a top running game surely helped matters as well.

Agreed. I think the most glaring blow to Detroit's season, aside from Staffords finger, were the injuries to Abdulluh (Whole season missed after week 1) and Riddick (missed 6 games, was hurt at least 3 others). Detroit flashed a pretty lethal two headed monster in week 1, with both scoring TDs and 100+ scrimmage yards. Riddick specifically is the best 3rd down back in the entire league (obviously excluding every-down elite talents like Bell, Johnson, Elliot). And after week 1 all Riddicks games were played as the starter, which he isn't built for.

You get rid of those guys and that's nearly half Detroit's offense hobbled which is probably the whole reason I don't feel they ever looked like a good team this year (except week 1) cause those two were never healthy. Zach Zenner was garbage most of the year and Bennet needs to stop misleading the public about that.
    Last edited by Kyle; 01-19-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Thread Information