Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The CFL

Senior Member All-Star Motorcat's Avatar

The CFL

I was bored the other day and surfed the Canadian Football League website just for something to do.

Since we have so many posters here actually in the Great White North I was wondering if any of you follow the CFL and who your favorite teams are and why.

I might actually pick a team and try to keep up with it this year via the web. Back in the day when the games were actually on TV down here I found myself pulling for the Hamilton Tigercats .......that was back when the Edmonton Eskimos ruled the league.

Maybe someone can sway me either way as for a team to follow.

And What happened to Ottawa's team ....... I see it folded - was it lack of attendance or just poor ownership ?

I'll let you guys get me back up to speed with the who,what and why I should be paying attention.

Bueller ........ Bueller ..........

Never come to this area...

I am an Argos fans, but I am casual at best. CDN rules are fun, but it's a summer league and I have better things to do in the Summer. That said, if you want a fav team, pick the Ti-Cats as they are owned by a CDN named Bob Young who lives close to you in Cary I believe.

Ottawa folded years ago, got brought back by this American father-son duo that everyone hated, so they folded again. There is talk they may come back yet again.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Casual Al's fan......they have quite a history:
    http://en.montrealalouettes.com/inde...e=page&id=6014
    I always felt they were sort of an underdog, and they have the Best Cheerleaders

Domi played for the Arg's so of course I like them.... unless they are up against the Al's.

My buddy has seasons for the Arg's and the Grey Cup is in T.O this year so he has tix.
    His "clan" all have jerseys and they call themselves the HEAD family, the back of their jersey's read... pothead, crackhead, giveshead (female)
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

Senior Member Hall of Famer phaneuf6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdubzz View Post
    His "clan" all have jerseys and they call themselves the HEAD family, the back of their jersey's read... pothead, crackhead, giveshead (female)
    Where do they sit? I'll keep an eye out.

Section 117, Two rows above cupholders

I've seen them before...but never the givehead...I may have to invite her to a stall...does she like beer?

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Argos fan here.

Ti-Cats have been a joke for the last few years & still seem like they are this year, in 2 games so far they have yet to score a TD, & there starting QB Mass (sp) seems to have lost his game, I like Timmey Chang better as the QB to tell you the truth.

Winnipeg seems to be maybe the team to beat this year.

It would be nice to see the Argos win the Grey Cup at home this year.

Ploughing since 1985 All-Star Farmerbob42's Avatar
    BC lions. i try to go to a game a year since my bro is walking distance from the stadium in vancouver and watch most of the games throughout the year.

Toronto have been looking good there last two games, beating both HAM & CAL pretty bad, but now there QB (Bishop) who has been on fire for them is out 6-8 weeks with a broken wrist.

Lions are 3-0, nobody is surprised.

Ti-Cats looked pretty good for a change last might vs MTL, but still could not get the win, & are now 0-3 (nothing new for them)

They really need to start Timmey Chang over Mass, once Chang came in last night the Ti-Cats looked like a hole new team out there, he's a better QB then Mass IMO.

Banned All-Star
    HUGE Bombers fan here, have the seasons and watch every away game.

If you are interested in watching games and don't get them on TV, you can watch them on TSN.ca on their broadband network.

This year the Lions are looking real good, and I would have said the Riders if they didn't get beat back this week by BC.

Hamilton again is crap, I wonder how long the loyal fans will keep supporting a loser. I don't know what happened to Maas, he was a star in Edmonton then hit the bricks in Hamilton. I think he had some shoulder problem, but if he has a good O-line and some decent guys to throw too I think he could get back to his former self.

If there are other big CFL fans here, post every now and then as I love this league. I watch the NFL too, but I find only having 3 downs makes it that much tougher, and with the wider field more exciting pass plays.

Banned All-Star
    Also... GO MILT!!!! One more touchdown to be the CFL's all time TD leader!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Ploughing since 1985 All-Star Farmerbob42's Avatar
    dickenson hurt, big surprise but pierce hurt too, sucks. oh well good thing the 3rd string is still a decent option hah, though if buck's hand is just bruised he may be alright... hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbob42 View Post
    dickenson hurt, big surprise but pierce hurt too, sucks. oh well good thing the 3rd string is still a decent option hah, though if buck's hand is just bruised he may be alright... hopefully.
    Well BC plays the Ti-Cats this week so I guess they catch a break there abit, but like I have been saying, I'm not Ti-Cats fan, but I think if they start Chang at QB they might do better then they have been.

I'm looking forward to watching Toronto vs Calgary Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Argos fan here.

Ti-Cats have been a joke for the last few years & still seem like they are this year, in 2 games so far they have yet to score a TD, & there starting QB Mass (sp) seems to have lost his game, I like Timmey Chang better as the QB to tell you the truth.

Winnipeg seems to be maybe the team to beat this year.

It would be nice to see the Argos win the Grey Cup at home this year.

We stink this year, atleast from what I've seen. Kevin Glenn is NOT going to lead this team to a championship.

Milt Stegall on the other hand is the bomb. Man that guy is awesome. Should break the record this weekend.
    C: Malkin, Bergeron
    LW: Cammaleri
    RW: Hemsky
    W: Zherdev, Kane
    D: Timmonen, Weber, Quincy, Vlasic
    UTIL: Selanne
    BN:Lucic, Ryan, Horcoff

IR: Gonchar, Kariya

G: Giguere, Fleury, S. Mason

DraftedTradedFreeAgent

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by CanucksFan View Post

We stink this year, atleast from what I've seen. Kevin Glenn is NOT going to lead this team to a championship.

Milt Stegall on the other hand is the bomb. Man that guy is awesome. Should break the record this weekend.
    Glenn is actually FINALLY starting to show some signs that he can be a starter in this league. I know he was the top passer after week two, but it also helps that he has an all star receiving corps.

As for B.C., Buck is a tough cookie, he'll be fine and I predict a B.C. romping of the lowly Ti-Cats. I'm kind of hoping that Hamilton can pull off the win as their fans deserve it. I agree though, Tommy should be the starter, Maas just hasn't looked good at all. I think Jason needs a change of scenery with some good receivers and a decent O-line (I'd take him over Glenn!)

The game of the week will probably be Winnipeg - Montreal tonight, or the Riders - Eskies game, as the Stamps have been horrible so the Argo's should have their ways. Also as I mentioned above, I think B.C. will stomp the Cats. But again, it is the CFL, stranger things have happened, like a 100 yard touchdown with no time on the clock to burn the Eskies last year.... YEAH MILT!

I may rescind my comments about Glenn after tonights game. He's been unreal tonight... I think he's 22 for 25 right now with ~250 yards.

Like you said though, having guys like Roberts, Brazell, and Stegall raking them in helps.
    C: Malkin, Bergeron
    LW: Cammaleri
    RW: Hemsky
    W: Zherdev, Kane
    D: Timmonen, Weber, Quincy, Vlasic
    UTIL: Selanne
    BN:Lucic, Ryan, Horcoff

IR: Gonchar, Kariya

G: Giguere, Fleury, S. Mason

DraftedTradedFreeAgent

Is there ANY pass interference in the CFL?

Ti-Cats found away to f*ck it up again tonight, they could have beat BC tonight from the parts of the game I watched, but nope they are now 0-4 while BC is 4-0, nothing new in Hamilton

Jesse Lumsden had a good game running for 158 yards & getting around 220 yards total on offence.

Being a Toronto fan it was also nice seeing Montreal lose & fall too 1-3 on the season tonight, with Toronto playing in Calgary Saturday night & Calgary not looking so good this season so far giving up 106 Pts in just 3 games.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by CanucksFan View Post
    I may rescind my comments about Glenn after tonights game. He's been unreal tonight... I think he's 22 for 25 right now with ~250 yards.

Like you said though, having guys like Roberts, Brazell, and Stegall raking them in helps.
    Yeah he finished 21 for 24 with one TD toss and no INT's.

He's beginning to pick it up, Terrence Edwards (Roberts brother) is really looking good, I believe he is leading the league now in yards.

Banned All-Star
    Ti-Cats found away to f*ck it up again tonight, they could have beat BC tonight from the parts of the game I watched, but nope they are now 0-4 while BC is 4-0, nothing new in Hamilton

Jesse Lumsden had a good game running for 158 yards & getting around 220 yards total on offence.

Being a Toronto fan it was also nice seeing Montreal lose & fall too 1-3 on the season tonight, with Toronto playing in Calgary Saturday night & Calgary not looking so good this season so far giving up 106 Pts in just 3 games.
    He's really the only bright spot for Hamilton right now. I thought the Cats could have pulled it off last night, and then their secondary blew their coverage assignments.

Hopefully they blow them next week when they play the Bombers!

Keep up the commentary guys ........... its actually been kind of interesting.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by sdubzz View Post
    Is there ANY pass interference in the CFL?
    There is, but the refs seem to be letting the DB's and Receivers battle it out more which I like. There was one big one in the BC game last night which brought the Lions down to first and goal for an easy run in TD.

How about the Bombers Defensive stand last night! Montreal was 1st and goal and stodd up three times from the 3 yard line I believe! Awesome! Love seeing the D get jacked up like that!

Man the Lions are realllly not playing like they can this year, even though they are 4-0 they can play much better IMO.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by HT9 View Post
    Man the Lions are realllly not playing like they can this year, even though they are 4-0 they can play much better IMO.
    No Dickensen and Buck was playing hurt. The Lions are lucky Dave Ritchie has that defense kicking butt.

Another great game last night, I was actually kind of pulling for the Banjo pickers even though they are the Bombers biggest rivals.

Banned All-Star
    Wow... the Argo's got their ass handed to them by the Stamps?? Didn't see that coming, even with Bishop hurt.

I still don't get why the Argo's didn't start Damon Allen? You can't go wrong with the top passer in all of professional football, even if he is 44.

Yeah the Argos took an ass kicking last night that's for sure, I also did not see that coming.

I have a feeling Allen will be starting the next game.

Banned All-Star
    Yeah the Argos took an ass kicking last night that's for sure, I also did not see that coming.

I have a feeling Allen will be starting the next game.
    Argo fans best hope so, Allen didn't look too sharp last night other then the TD with no time left, but then again he went in cold. If that guy has time to prep he is amazing. McMahon may want to try out for the cheerleading squad, he was horrible.

Thread Information