Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    well it looks like the Raiders are close to signing a one year deal with Culpepper. It seems that McCown hasn't been that impressive in camp and with Russel holding out we could see McCown as the starter with Culpepper being the backup and Russel the #3. I guess that leaves Walters out. Oh well.

Senior Member All-Star Motorcat's Avatar
    desperate move

Senior Member Hall of Famer chgorman's Avatar
    Desperate franchise.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chgorman View Post
    Desperate franchise.
    pretty much.

I heard something today about them signing Culpepper.

Season Ticket Holder Hall of Famer Dubz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four View Post
    Yeah but I read they might be able to give him $27.1 Mil.
    yep

I of course am an optimist.

If a guy like Stanton goes down will they get any compensation?
    http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/sdubzz/habs.jpg

The Original K.I.N.G. Hall of Famer King_Killah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy78 View Post
    well it looks like the Raiders are close to signing a one year deal with Culpepper. It seems that McCown hasn't been that impressive in camp and with Russel holding out we could see McCown as the starter with Culpepper being the backup and Russel the #3. I guess that leaves Walters out. Oh well.
    Damn.....Grandpa Al will have a coronary if Andy W. is left out!
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

PM me for price quotes for signature space.

I don't think Walters is that high on his list anymore now that he has Russell. He is the future of this team. Culpepper and McCown are just keeping his spot warm. We're still atleast 2 years away from seriously competing, so signing Culpepper doesn't hurt them imo.

I don't think Walters is that high on his list anymore now that he has Russell. He is the future of this team. Culpepper and McCown are just keeping his spot warm. We're still atleast 2 years away from seriously competing, so signing Culpepper doesn't hurt them imo.
    Your prime, key word here is atleast. I will say three years back to competing, 4 years you will make a play off appearance, but only if Oakland can make good moves. I go back to that Michael Bush pick. At this point, I see that pick as being the best pick, signing they have done in quite some time. The whole hold out, contract dispute thing. Once again, I don't care if you are the first pick or not. You don't know if you are NFL worthy, just because you had a great college career. Russell should have been in camp, getting the snaps in, getting the reps in. The plan was for Russell to take over 100% once Oakland has officially been eliminated from playoff competition. The lack of camp appearances hurt that. The longer he sits, the longer it is before he really gets a shot. I don't mind the Culpepper signing. I don't shit on him like a lot of people do. He got a raw deal in Miami. It wasn't his fault that Miami really wasn't that good. I think Culpepper and McCown will play this full season, the Russell will step in the next season. I am going to be generous and give the Raiders a 6-10 season this year. I am really feeling 5-11, but will give the 6-10 call. Next season they tinker with .500. If they can make some right moves, and/or sign some right people year three they make a splash in the competition.
    The Best there is, The Best there was, The BEST THERE EVER WILL BE..... King Killah!

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    The next few drafts will be key for the Raiders if they want to make the playoffs in the next few years, even this past one, if Russell is a bust they are F*.

I think Culpepper is not a bad signing...not a lot to lose with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Your prime, key word here is atleast. I will say three years back to competing, 4 years you will make a play off appearance, but only if Oakland can make good moves. I go back to that Michael Bush pick. At this point, I see that pick as being the best pick, signing they have done in quite some time. The whole hold out, contract dispute thing. Once again, I don't care if you are the first pick or not. You don't know if you are NFL worthy, just because you had a great college career. Russell should have been in camp, getting the snaps in, getting the reps in. The plan was for Russell to take over 100% once Oakland has officially been eliminated from playoff competition. The lack of camp appearances hurt that. The longer he sits, the longer it is before he really gets a shot. I don't mind the Culpepper signing. I don't shit on him like a lot of people do. He got a raw deal in Miami. It wasn't his fault that Miami really wasn't that good. I think Culpepper and McCown will play this full season, the Russell will step in the next season. I am going to be generous and give the Raiders a 6-10 season this year. I am really feeling 5-11, but will give the 6-10 call. Next season they tinker with .500. If they can make some right moves, and/or sign some right people year three they make a splash in the competition.
    I agree with most of what you said, but don't think it will take 4 years for a playoff shot. I think we can do that by 2009. I just think Russell will play this year as long as the Raiders are out of it. He will get signed, he will see some preseason snaps, and will play some real time this year. Culpepper was told, and agreed, that part of this deal with him this year is not only to compete for the starter, but to help groom Russell into the future starting role. I think Culpepper and him will do well as teammates since they basically have the same build and play the same type of game.

Senior Member All-Star
    I think Culpepper and him will do well as teammates since they basically have the same build and play the same type of game.
    I think this has more to do with the signing than anything else. Plus any plays that are designed for one can be run just as well by the other since they're essentially the same kind of player

Well the thread title says it all
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

yeah the Raiders are being pricks about this one, and I'm not sure why. This guy is the future of the team and it seems like Grandpa Al has a stick up his ass about his contract. Just pay the fucking man the option bonuses he wants and let's move on. And that's what really hurts the most, it's now about HOW MUCH he is to be getting paid, it's HOW he's going to be getting paid. WHO CARES!!!

Well, this is why I'm happy that we signed Culpepper. When healthy, he is definitely better than McCown and Walters and imo is better than half the starting QB's in the league.

Hey King Killah, can we still call him Fat Sapp?!

Sapp spent the offseason shedding weight at home in Florida, dropping from 334 pounds late last season to 282 when he arrived at camp last month. He wants to add a few pounds before the season, but he will still be as light as he's been for almost a decade.

Wow...... That a big drop in weight... Yeah, he's still a fat ass!

Broncos trade DT Gerard Warren to rival Raiders
    By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
    August 20, 2007

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- The Denver Broncos found a surprising trade partner to unload defensive tackle Gerard Warren -- the rival Oakland Raiders.

The Broncos shipped Warren to the Raiders on Monday for an undisclosed 2008 draft pick.

Just one year ago, Warren was deemed the Broncos' best defensive linemen as evidenced by the six-year, $36 million contract he signed before injuries to both big toes led to an unproductive 2006 season. This year, he didn't fit in the system put in place by the new defensive boss Jim Bates, which requires large interior linemen who hold the point of attack rather than penetrate.

Warren (6-foot-4, 325 pounds) is a seventh-year pro who spent the past two seasons in Denver after he was acquired in a trade with Cleveland in 2005. The Browns made him the third overall pick in the 2001 draft out of Florida.

Warren had 51 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks last season and never regained his strength and stamina after a toe injury in training camp hobbled him all year.

The Broncos left him behind when they opened the exhibition season at San Francisco and again when they spent a week in Dallas practicing with the Cowboys before their preseason game Saturday night.

There was some speculation, however, that the Broncos might ditch their plan to trade or release him after the defense played so poorly in San Francisco and Dallas, where starting defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban was lost for the season with a torn Achilles' tendon.

Washington and Indianapolis were interested in Warren but might have been hoping for his release so they could negotiate their own deal and not compensate the Broncos.
    Warren, who cemented his nickname "Big Money" with his contract extension last summer, actually earned about $6.5 million of that $36 million deal. He received $2 million from the Broncos this year in roster and workout bonuses. His salary for the upcoming season is a little less than $600,000.

Senior Member All-Star
    Meh. I hoped he would be great when we got him, but it just never worked out. I knew something was up when he didn't make the trip to SanFran

I don't know much about the guy, I was hoping some Bronco Fans could enlighten me. He was a #3 overall pick at one point.

Senior Member All-Star
    It's not like he was bad either. D tackles never put up huge numbers, but he was a big reason that our defense ranked highly against the run. He was really durable too, the guy didn't miss many games until lately. But I think we were expecting a little more out of him, and with a new defensive scheme he doesn't really fit into the mix

MAN WAS I PISSED OFF WHEN I READ THIS UNTIL I READ THE BOTTOM.......THEN DID A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH FOR MYSELF!!

Report: McCown to start for Raiders
    Josh McCown, QB OAK
    News: NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Wednesday that the Raiders will name Josh McCown their starting quarterback for Week 1 vs. Detroit, not Daunte Culpepper. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said that he has told his quarterbacks who his starter was, but neither confirmed or denied their roles on Tuesday.
    Analysis: McCown seemingly had a leg up on Culpepper because he had been with the Raiders since the 2007 draft when he got traded there from Detroit, his Week 1 opponent. We thought that Culpepper would be the pick since he was more effective during the preseason, but McCown did have more first-team reps than Culpepper, who came aboard the Raiders' ship during training camp. McCown is a low-end option at QB for Fantasy owners this week; we'd recommend Culpepper as a sleeper if he had been given the nod. One last note: The Raiders have lied to NFL Network's Adam Schefter before, so there's a chance that it could be happening again.
    AND THEN I FOUND THIS.................
    Daunte Culpepper: Smile Hints at Opening Gig
    RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007
    Update: Culpepper was all smiles after the "private" meeting with Coach Lane Kiffin to inform both Culpepper and Josh McCown of who would start the season against the Lions, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Recommendation: While both players and the coach remained silent as to who would start, the players' respective body language left little doubt it will be Culpepper. This was expected given that Culpepper outplayed McCown in the preseason despite signing late, and, frankly, is much more talented.

Hahaha..... Fly you know it is going to be McCown!

Here is a little more:

Kiffin won't choose starting quarterback just yet

By Jason Jones - Staff Writer

Published 4:59 pm PDT Wednesday, September 5, 2007
    Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

Daunte Culpepper looked good on one touchdown drive Thursday, but his competition with Josh McCown for the Raiders' starting quarterback job still is unsettled with many feeling McCown still holds the honor to start 9/9.

Maybe this was Lane Kiffin's plan all along.

Give the finalists for the starting quarterback job little to work with and see who does the best. The Raiders' head coach did that, and guess what? He still doesn't have an answer as to who will be the starting quarterback. At least he isn't spilling the beans if he does.

The Raiders lost to their final preseason game to the Seattle Seahawks 19-14 Thursday night at Qwest Field.

But the only competition that mattered to the Raiders was between Josh McCown and Daunte Culpepper for the starting quarterback job.

It's looking more and like Kiffin, ever the gamesman, is willing to wait until 5 minutes before kick off game day, Sept. 9th's season opener against Detroit to name a starter and make the Lions -- and everyone else -- wonder who will start the game

California Dreamer Hall of Famer Sponge Bong Beer Pants's Avatar
    yeah nfl.com and total access are still saying that McCown is going to be announced as the starter.. ohhh the suspense!

Luckily for Raider nation, it shouldn't be too stressful or matter too much, cause their team is still gonna be bottom feeding no matter who starts at QB

It'll be Culpepper and the Raiders won't be as bad as most think this year!!

It'll be Culpepper and the Raiders won't be as bad as most think this year!!
    I am glad you can hang onto the wishful thinking!!! I was giving the Raiders a 6-10 season this year, but dropped it to 5-11. They have a better than good shot at being as bad or worse than I think this year. When you figure 6 losses will come from the Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers right off the bat... Then a week one loss to the Lions. That's 0-7 right there. I really hope Cayuga doesn't come on stating he'll bet the Raiders go 0-fer, since he did that last year and they won the very next game after his claim.

Senior Member All-Star MrScientist's Avatar
    McCown starts

And I wish these announcers would stop playing up Warren Sapp. Yeah he lost weight, but he does NOT look like a LB lol

Now Fly will you STFU and listen when you are being spoken to.....

1. What is told to Fly: JOSH McCOWN will start. Fly cries: Daunte Culpepper is going to start. Result: he STARTS and actually has a decent day.

2. What is told to Fly: THE RAIDERS will absolutely lose week 1. Fly cries: No way the Lions beat the Raiders. Result: Raiders LOSE week 1.

3. What is told to Fly: Calvin Johnson will have an immediate impact. Fly cries: Calvin Johnson won't be noticed, rookies historically have bad first seasons. Calvin Johnson is like Freddie Mitchell. Result: 4 Catches, 70 Yards, 1 TD - impact.

4. What is told to Fly: Start Calvin Johnson over Jerry Porter. Instead Fly: Starts Jerry Porter. Result: Calvin Johnson 11 points, Jerry Porter 2.

I loved it when every Raider gathered in the middle of the field jumping up and down like they had won the freakin' game. Talk about classless.....

Quote Originally Posted by King_Killah View Post
    Now Fly will you STFU and listen when you are being spoken to.....

1. What is told to Fly: JOSH McCOWN will start. Fly cries: Daunte Culpepper is going to start. Result: he STARTS and actually has a decent day.

2. What is told to Fly: THE RAIDERS will absolutely lose week 1. Fly cries: No way the Lions beat the Raiders. Result: Raiders LOSE week 1.

3. What is told to Fly: Calvin Johnson will have an immediate impact. Fly cries: Calvin Johnson won't be noticed, rookies historically have bad first seasons. Calvin Johnson is like Freddie Mitchell. Result: 4 Catches, 70 Yards, 1 TD - impact.

4. What is told to Fly: Start Calvin Johnson over Jerry Porter. Instead Fly: Starts Jerry Porter. Result: Calvin Johnson 11 points, Jerry Porter 2.
    1. If Culpepper started, we probably would have won. McCown looked awful at the end trying to bring them back. Good stats, yes, good day, no!! I'm glad he hurt himself at the end of the game.

2. Atleast they scored more than 3 lousy points like your Falcons.

3. Nitbag, if you could read you know I said all that about ANTHONY GONZALEZ, not Calvin Johnson. I said I wouldn't be surprised if he did well and he did. Calvin will put up very good rookie numbers, AGonzo will not.

4. I only started Porter because I thought Culpepper was really going to be the starter. I didn't believe all the reports since the Raiders lie like the best of them. Culpepper won the job, he should have started.

1) Don't whine
    2) the Lions are better
    3) Dauntes Inferno still has a shot....Mccown looked good
    4) I win our bet.....The Lions have a better record than the classless Raiders
    5) The JETS fans have less class than the Raiders

Thread Information