Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

the lacrosse thread

Anybody know anythign about the Colin Doyle trade? Perhaps you know about the guys we got in return or maybe you could tell me why the fuck we traded my favorite player (who also happens to be one of the best on the team)?

the guy we got in return was the #1 pick from the draft this year. He should be good.

Senior Member Hall of Famer two24four's Avatar
    I cant stand the Rock or Doyle, he's a little bitch, I'm gald they traded him, I dont have to watch him whine everytime someone hits him.

The #1 pick from this year was Ryan Benesch, that's the main guy they are getting in this trade, he's really good, he should be a star in the NLL in a few years.

One of the other guys Chad Thompson use to play hockey in the OHL, he's a better lacrosse player though.

Best player in the league is John Grant Jr who plays for Rochester, he's better then Doyle, some of the shit Grant does makes you sit back & go "how the fuck did he just do that".
    Last edited by two24four; 12-28-2006 at 08:23 PM.

Welcome2Pominville All-Star Patriot0103's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by two24four
    I cant stand the Rock or Doyle, he's a little bitch, I'm gald they traded him, I dont have to watch him whine everytime someone hits him.

The #1 pick from this year was Ryan Benesch, that's the main guy they are getting in this trade, he's really good, he should be a star in the NLL in a few years.

One of the other guys Chad Thompson use to play hockey in the OHL, he's a better lacrosse player though.

Best player in the league is John Grant Jr who plays for Rochester, he's better then Doyle, some of the shit Grant does makes you sit back & go "how the fuck did he just do that".
    Just saw this thread now. I couldn't agree more. I fucking hate Doyle, this trade still seemed a little surprising to me though as I didn't expect to see him get moved. Benesch is going to be sick though. He did awesome in Canadian juniors. Chad Thompson I don't really know anything about though.

No arguing either that John Grant is hands down the best in the league now, although I like to think Johnny T (and Gary Gait) in their primes were on par. Tough to say anyone one of the three is better than the other two.

~~~~~~~ITS ALMOST PATRIOT SEASON ~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot0103
    Just saw this thread now. I couldn't agree more. I fucking hate Doyle, this trade still seemed a little surprising to me though as I didn't expect to see him get moved. Benesch is going to be sick though. He did awesome in Canadian juniors. Chad Thompson I don't really know anything about though.

No arguing either that John Grant is hands down the best in the league now, although I like to think Johnny T (and Gary Gait) in their primes were on par. Tough to say anyone one of the three is better than the other two.
    Oh I agree, in there prime it's a tough call, all three are great players.

It's to bad Grant was suspended last Friday night & did not get to play against Doyle, I had to laugh that Doyle only got something like 3-4 Pts in his 1st game with SJ it's really to bad cause most games when Grant plays Doyle Grant puts on a show & gets close to 10 Pts trying to out play Doyle.

Also watch out for Chicago this year, they may be a new team this year, but I could see them pulling off a few up-sets this year.

Here is a cool Video of John Grant Jr, Tracy Kelusky, Shawn Cable, & Shawn Williams, doing some pretty cool tricks, you may look at this & think "oh I can do some those " trust me they are alot harder to do then it looks.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a66Ra4TCNDc

Kelusky & Grant played here in town together in the summer league this past summer & are just sick togther, they won another Mann Cup.
    Last edited by two24four; 01-09-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Funny NLL story. When I graduated from Uni, I was big into the idea that the NLL would get really big over the next decade (I was right and wrong). Anyway, I had nothing to do before I was heading over to Korea to teach the english so I called the commish of the league to aks how much an expansion franchise was and if they were looking to expand. He told me they were talking about expanding, but nothing for at least a year, but the Syracuse Crunch owner wanted to sell, give him a call.

So, I call the guy and get his voicemail, then head up to my cottage for the weekend (it was a Friday in early May but that weekend was crazy warm for some odd reason). Anyway, check my voicemail on the Sunday and the dude had left 4-5 messages. I call the guy and the long and short is I introduced myself as representing a group of investors interested in purchasing a team and he says $250k and it's yours.

My dad had a couple of his buddies with deep pockets over for a few beers on the dock so I tell them about all of this and they have a laugh, then one of them says it's a good idea. This happens to be the guy to whom Coffey used to date his step-daughter (funny enough Paul is now married to my buddies cousin) and more importantly, this guy is tight with Harry Sinden and Bobby Orr. (one of the reasons there is no Beantown NLL team is Jacobs, the owner of the B's and the arena, wants a bundle for concessions.

I had already bought a plane ticket, so my fate was sealed, but those guys on the dock had to the loot and seemingly the interest to buy a club. Makes me wonder what could have been...

Cool story, to bad.......

I have heard that in the next 3-5 years the NLL could have about 20-25 teams, which would be cool, kind of getting as big as the NHL, only 13 teams right now & they only play 16 games each, (8 home 8 away) from January untill mid April, kind of like a Football Schedule right now, then they only play one game playoffs games in the playoffs, I would like to see the season get longer & the playoffs goto a best of 7 like hockey, once the league gets bigger.

Cool story b_illin.

Here is a cool Video of John Grant Jr, Tracy Kelusky, Shawn Cable, & Shawn Williams, doing some pretty cool tricks, you may look at this & think "oh I can do some those " trust me they are alot harder to do then it looks.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a66Ra4TCNDc

Kelusky & Grant played here in town together in the summer league this past summer & are just sick togther, they won another Mann Cup.
    That video is awesome, I've never seen that one before. I love lacrosse tricks, they are a lot harder than they look. I can probably do about 3 of them in that whole video, and I've wasted pathetic lengths of time trying to learn tricks. The "back breaker" one is sick, I remember seeing Gait so that when I was a kid, but could never come close to pulling that off. I use to know a kid that use to show off a triple loop all the time. I was amazed at how it was even possible to move your hands so fast.

Cool story, to bad.......

I have heard that in the next 3-5 years the NLL could have about 20-25 teams, which would be cool, kind of getting as big as the NHL, only 13 teams right now & they only play 16 games each, (8 home 8 away) from January untill mid April, kind of like a Football Schedule right now, then they only play one game playoffs games in the playoffs, I would like to see the season get longer & the playoffs goto a best of 7 like hockey, once the league gets bigger.
    God I could only dream of the league expanded like that. Around here, lacrosse gets 0 media attention. You never hear shit about it, even when the Bandit's are doing well. I like what they're doing with getting some of the bigger markets involved. With a little media help, and some expanding, the league could get big.

I also agree that a playoff series would be a lot better. I don't like how the one and done system works in lacrosse, it's not like football. I can't recall what years it was, but even when they use to do the best of 3 series', it was a lot better.

Cool story b_illin.

That video is awesome, I've never seen that one before. I love lacrosse tricks, they are a lot harder than they look. I can probably do about 3 of them in that whole video, and I've wasted pathetic lengths of time trying to learn tricks. The "back breaker" one is sick, I remember seeing Gait so that when I was a kid, but could never come close to pulling that off. I use to know a kid that use to show off a triple loop all the time. I was amazed at how it was even possible to move your hands so fast.

God I could only dream of the league expanded like that. Around here, lacrosse gets 0 media attention. You never hear shit about it, even when the Bandit's are doing well. I like what they're doing with getting some of the bigger markets involved. With a little media help, and some expanding, the league could get big.

I also agree that a playoff series would be a lot better. I don't like how the one and done system works in lacrosse, it's not like football. I can't recall what years it was, but even when they use to do the best of 3 series', it was a lot better.
    That really surprises me with the history the Bandits have!

Quote Originally Posted by b_illin
    That really surprises me with the history the Bandits have!
    Yea, it's always been like that here. You don't see ads for the Bandits anywhere. The media doesn't do shit for lacrosse. Even back when the Bandits were winning championships, and the Sabres and Bills were losing year after year, that's all you saw was coverage of the Sabres and Bills anyways. (with the Bills being a step ahead).

Yea, it's always been like that here. You don't see ads for the Bandits anywhere. The media doesn't do shit for lacrosse. Even back when the Bandits were winning championships, and the Sabres and Bills were losing year after year, that's all you saw was coverage of the Sabres and Bills anyways. (with the Bills being a step ahead).
    You would think it would be alittle diff with guys like Tavares, Steenhuis, Crosbie, Dietrich, Powless, Teat, Laverty, White & Dostie etc.....that's a really good team IMO......Just not as good as Rochester

I could see maybe new teams in places like, Detroit, Vancouver (again), Anaheim (again) Boston, New Jersey (agian) Montreal (again) St. Louis, Los Angeles, Dallas ( or anywhere in Texas) in the next few years, that would bring the league up to 22 teams right there.

I could see maybe new teams in places like, Detroit, Vancouver (again), Anaheim (again) Boston, New Jersey (agian) Montreal (again) St. Louis, Los Angeles, Dallas ( or anywhere in Texas) in the next few years, that would bring the league up to 22 teams right there.
    I am all for adding new teams, new markets, and expanding. The only thing that concerns me, is that if the league got big..markets like Rochester, Buffalo, etc. would all have some trouble keeping up. Fan base, building size, maybe even increasing player salaries (Even though that would take a lot to adjust as seniority is the primary factor right now) and whatever other changes could cause some problems.

I am all for adding new teams, new markets, and expanding. The only thing that concerns me, is that if the league got big..markets like Rochester, Buffalo, etc. would all have some trouble keeping up. Fan base, building size, maybe even increasing player salaries (Even though that would take a lot to adjust as seniority is the primary factor right now) and whatever other changes could cause some problems.
    Rochester has a pretty big fan base, plus when you have guys like John Grant Jr, the Evans boys, Williams & Tool Time in net they will get the fans as long as they are all there, Buffalo should be good for awhile as well with JT, Steenhuis, Crosbie, Dietrich & Powless, I dont think they have anything to worry about.

Only thing I see hurting teams is when they have to give up some players too the new teams.
    Last edited by two24four; 01-10-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Just for fun I'm going to make my picks for this years awards in the NLL.

West Division Champs: Colorado

East Division Champs: Rochester

NLL Champs: Rochester

Defensive Player of the Year: Brodie Merrill (He should win this for the next few years)

MVP: John Grant Jr

Goaltender of the Year: Anthony Cosmo or Pat O'Toole ( tough one)

Rookie of the year: Josh Wasson-McQuigge

Coach of the year: Gary Gait ( I would like to see Jamie Batley win this though with Chicago, but I think Gait takes it)
    Last edited by two24four; 01-10-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Patriot0103, how did you like Tavares' 13 point game last night??

Watch out for Grant, he's starting to heat up.

Go Knighthawks

Patriot0103, how did you like Tavares' 13 point game last night??

Watch out for Grant, he's starting to heat up.

Go Knighthawks
    It was truely amazing. Got a solid group of diehard fans with "Johnny" chants going. It was an awesome performance. Too bad the record for single game is 14 points. Grant is playing sick like usual, but if Tavares can keep the train rolling I think he's got a shot at the MVP title. (and maybe even the all-time goals record he's chasing...although my guess is that he'd need next year for that).

I was surprised by Calgary's convincing win over Colorado. I could see them taking the West.

It was truely amazing. Got a solid group of diehard fans with "Johnny" chants going. It was an awesome performance. Too bad the record for single game is 14 points. Grant is playing sick like usual, but if Tavares can keep the train rolling I think he's got a shot at the MVP title. (and maybe even the all-time goals record he's chasing...although my guess is that he'd need next year for that).

I was surprised by Calgary's convincing win over Colorado. I could see them taking the West.
    Yeah for being 38 years old Tavares' still has it.....

I was also surprised that Calgary beat Colorado as well, mind you Colorado did play the night before in Edmonton, it will prob come down to those two teams in the West this year, Chicago is looking pretty good for a 1st year team as well in the East.

Oh by the way, the Rock are just looking AVG this year so far, which I like, cause I cant stand them.
    Last edited by two24four; 01-22-2007 at 02:49 AM.

My picks...

West Division Champs: Calgary

East Division Champs: Buffalo

NLL Champs: Buffalo

Defensive Player of the Year: I'll agree on Brodie Merrill. (Or how about your Rochester boy Steve Toll?)

MVP: John Tavares

Goaltender of the Year: Gee Nash (although I'm suprised by Blasdell's start)

Rookie of the year: Kyle Wailes (Wasson and Benesch may be serious contenders)

Coach of the year: Gary Gait

I'm late though, so it's kind of cheating lol

Oh by the way, the Rock are just looking AVG this year so far, which I like, cause I cant stand them.
    Yea, their defense cost me my fantasy week with a -5. I lost 22-21.

Defensive Player of the Year: I'll agree on Brodie Merrill. (Or how about your Rochester boy Steve Toll?)
    I would love to see Toll get it, but Merrill will be tough to beat, right now they are one two in the league for LB's, Merrill has 57, & Toll 56, Toll has 9 Pts while Merrill has 7 Pts, could be a tight race if things stay like that, Toll has also played one more game then Merrill.

I will say this though, know one in the league is faster then Toll, once he gets going he's gone, he runs like a deer.
    Last edited by two24four; 01-22-2007 at 03:13 AM.

Yea, their defense cost me my fantasy week with a -5. I lost 22-21.
    Shitty, there D looks very slow this year, mind you they where missing Veltman last night.

John Grant. 9g, 6a....All time points record, just ridiculous.

The Toronto-Phily game was awesome.

John Grant. 9g, 6a....All time points record, just ridiculous.

The Toronto-Phily game was awesome.
    Yup Grant is the man, told you he was heating up he's the best Lacrosse player in the world right now IMO.

Rock keep losing I love it.

Senior Member First Liner double_dion_3's Avatar
    Yup Grant is the man, told you he was heating up he's the best Lacrosse player in the world right now IMO.

Rock keep losing I love it.
    yep ive always hated the rock....... and grant is the best in the world for sure.

Not sure how true this is, but I heard that if the Rock lose both games back to back this weekend vs Buffalo they might fire Glen Clark as coach, haha, again not sure how true this is, that did not take long for people to start talking about, I hope they do go 0-5 this weekend I cant stand the Rock.

Game of the week this week is Rochester vs Chicago IMO, winner will take over 1st in the east, how will Grant follow up his NLL record 15 Pts in a game?? that will be tough to do again, but then again I would not put it past him.
    Last edited by two24four; 02-02-2007 at 03:35 AM.

Not sure how true this is, but I heard that if the Rock lose both games back to back this weekend vs Buffalo they might fire Glen Clark as coach, haha, again not sure how true this is, that did not take long for people to start talking about, I hope they do go 0-5 this weekend I cant stand the Rock.

Game of the week this week is Rochester vs Chicago IMO, winner will take over 1st in the east, how will Grant follow up his NLL record 15 Pts in a game?? that will be tough to do again, but then again I would not put it past him.
    I have no idea about the coaching situation, but they'll go 0-5 I can't wait till tonight!!

Grant also won't have 15 points tonight ha. I think that's a safe prediction. I'll guess 4g, 3a from him. With that said, it'll be a good game, and hopefully Chicago takes it.

I have no idea about the coaching situation, but they'll go 0-5 I can't wait till tonight!!

Grant also won't have 15 points tonight ha. I think that's a safe prediction. I'll guess 4g, 3a from him. With that said, it'll be a good game, and hopefully Chicago takes it.
    See I'm a fan of both Rochester & Chicago, so I'm neutral for this one, I would love to see a Rochester vs Chicago in the east final

I see Grant getting 5G & 4A this weekend, he is friends with alot of the Chicago guys so I see him wanting to put a show on for them lol.

See I'm a fan of both Rochester & Chicago, so I'm neutral for this one, I would love to see a Rochester vs Chicago in the east final

I see Grant getting 5G & 4A this weekend, he is friends with alot of the Chicago guys so I see him wanting to put a show on for them lol.
    haha, how the hell do you know that he is friends with a lot of the Chicago guys?

Thread Information