PDA

View Full Version : 2014-15 season thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

two24four
09-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Everyone ready for the new season? Rookie camps open this week. Main camps open next week. Less then a month till the regular season starts.

Hockey is back!!!!

Snipes16
09-12-2014, 04:05 PM
I'd like to make 3 bold predictions..

1) The Boston Bruins will win the Cup this year.

2) The Calgary Flames will make the playoffs.

3) The Toronto Maple Leafs will win the McDavid lottery and sip from the Cup in 2020.

two24four
09-12-2014, 04:09 PM
I'll gladly take McDavid.

alias
09-13-2014, 08:47 AM
I'd like to make 3 bold predictions..

1) The Boston Bruins will win the Cup this year.

2) The Calgary Flames will make the playoffs.

3) The Toronto Maple Leafs will win the McDavid lottery and sip from the Cup in 2020.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of those things happen. Here's hoping you go 1 for 3!

Doctego
09-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Saying that Boston will win the Cup doesn't seem too bold but the other 2 are a little out there.

Dubz
09-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Heres the rule changes for this year

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730196

* In reviewing "Kicked in Goals," Hockey Operations will require more demonstrable video evidence of a "distinct kicking motion" in order to overrule a "goal" call on the ice, or to uphold a "no goal" call on the ice

I like this one!!

phaneuf6
09-17-2014, 08:11 AM
I don't like the changes to 'tripping'.

Rocklobster
09-17-2014, 09:59 AM
I don't like the changes to 'tripping'.
agreed, it's not a good change at all. If the guy slides and gets to the puck first and then the other player trips on him, it shouldn't be a penalty.

two24four
09-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Sounds like the Ryan Johansen contract talks are getting ugly in Columbus. Reporter from Columbus is reporting he's flying back home to Vancouver.

Hamsterkill
09-17-2014, 05:32 PM
When a team's president and GM personally publicize the negotiations, it's never really a good sign. I don't think he'll get 6mil/yr even in an offer sheet though...

Gern Blansten
09-17-2014, 06:02 PM
...and so it begins: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=462007

:wtf:

two24four
09-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Tough news for the Canes and Jordan Staal as he will be out 3 to 4 months with a broken leg.

phaneuf6
10-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Boychuk to the Isles... they're gunna be good this year.

EDIT: And Nick Leddy.

two24four
10-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Both good trades for the Isles. They don't want Buffalo getting McDavid with their pick.

Kyle
10-04-2014, 05:11 PM
The return Boston got back on Boychuck is nuts. Draft picks have zero value in the NHL, at least compared to the NFL where a 1st round pick usually costs an establish star compared to the 2-3 1st round picks (And then some) an established star costs in the NHL. Boychuk is a B player at best, a great depth player but a depth player, and that's just nuts to think he cost 2 2nd's and a conditional 3rd.

two24four
10-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Boychuck is a top 4 guy in the NHL. He doesn't put up big points but he's the type of d-man other teams don't want to go up against. As a Leafs fan I'm glad Boychuck isn't in Boston anymore.

Isles are going all in this season so Buffalo doesn't draft McDavid with their pick, they don't want that pick in the lottery at all.

This offseason the Isles have added Kulemin, Grabo, Halak, Boychuck, Leddy. That's not bad with the players they already have. Having both Boychuck and Hamonic the Isles have two really good shut down d-man now.

Rocklobster
10-04-2014, 06:04 PM
both great trades for NYI
makes me wonder if visnovsky's injury is more serious than they say.

phaneuf6
10-04-2014, 06:35 PM
The return Boston got back on Boychuck is nuts. Draft picks have zero value in the NHL, at least compared to the NFL where a 1st round pick usually costs an establish star compared to the 2-3 1st round picks (And then some) an established star costs in the NHL. Boychuk is a B player at best, a great depth player but a depth player, and that's just nuts to think he cost 2 2nd's and a conditional 3rd.

I think you're underrating Boychuk and the value of draft picks. The draft is a huge tool for the NHL in the salary cap era. Surprising to hear you say that given you're a Wings fan. I understand what you're saying in that the NHL, it's more of a crapshoot, but there's still a ton of value in the draft and being able to draft well and develop from within. How many big stars go to free agency anymore?

two24four
10-04-2014, 07:14 PM
It's so true. Most teams who win the Stanley Cup these days have done really well drafting the core of the team.

Since 2003 the Kings have drafted Clifford, Doughty, Brown, Toffoli, Nolan, Voynov, Martinez, Quick, Pearson, King, Lewis, Kopitar. That is 12 players who played for and won the cup for the Kings last season.

Kyle
10-04-2014, 08:55 PM
I think you're underrating Boychuk and the value of draft picks. The draft is a huge tool for the NHL in the salary cap era. Surprising to hear you say that given you're a Wings fan. I understand what you're saying in that the NHL, it's more of a crapshoot, but there's still a ton of value in the draft and being able to draft well and develop from within. How many big stars go to free agency anymore?

Very true, but even given your example, how many of the Wing's slam dunks have actually been early picks? Clearly if they had more awareness of the stars Datsyuk and Zetterberg would be, they wouldn't have waited. Lidstrom as well.

Maybe there's something about the dramatic transition to the style of hockey played in the NHL that just makes it extremely hard to predict who will carry their success in other leagues to the NHL level. Football players are almost universally streamed through colleges so it's probably considerable easier to scout effectively than the staff that has to watch the OHL, AHL, CHL, Swedish Leagues, NCAA, Russian, it goes on and on.

I guess it just takes a lot more talent as a drafting staff to succeed in the NHL. The numbers on how few 1st/2nd rounders pan out as effective players speak for themselves but clearly as 24 said there are teams like LA and obviously the Wings who have managed to come out consistently on top through the draft.

Dubz
10-05-2014, 08:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26SXNCe93TI

phaneuf6
10-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Very true, but even given your example, how many of the Wing's slam dunks have actually been early picks? Clearly if they had more awareness of the stars Datsyuk and Zetterberg would be, they wouldn't have waited. Lidstrom as well.

Maybe there's something about the dramatic transition to the style of hockey played in the NHL that just makes it extremely hard to predict who will carry their success in other leagues to the NHL level. Football players are almost universally streamed through colleges so it's probably considerable easier to scout effectively than the staff that has to watch the OHL, AHL, CHL, Swedish Leagues, NCAA, Russian, it goes on and on.

I guess it just takes a lot more talent as a drafting staff to succeed in the NHL. The numbers on how few 1st/2nd rounders pan out as effective players speak for themselves but clearly as 24 said there are teams like LA and obviously the Wings who have managed to come out consistently on top through the draft.

I think the style of a lot of junior hockey might actually be closer to the NHL style of play than say, NCAA football to the NFL. It's just drafting 18 year olds that's hard to do. THe NFL are drafting men, whereas the NHL are drafting boys still. A player who dominates at the junior hockey level as a 'power forward' may just be an average sized guy in the NHL as well, because the age ranges in junior are 16-21. An overager at 21 will win a battle in the corner with a 16 year old 11 times out of 10. It's just a question of physical maturity at that stage.

Kyle
10-06-2014, 02:42 PM
I think the style of a lot of junior hockey might actually be closer to the NHL style of play than say, NCAA football to the NFL. It's just drafting 18 year olds that's hard to do. THe NFL are drafting men, whereas the NHL are drafting boys still. A player who dominates at the junior hockey level as a 'power forward' may just be an average sized guy in the NHL as well, because the age ranges in junior are 16-21. An overager at 21 will win a battle in the corner with a 16 year old 11 times out of 10. It's just a question of physical maturity at that stage.

Great point.

This season can't start soon enough. When the worst of the 4 opening match ups is Calgary vs Vancouver, you know we're spoiled

b_illin
10-06-2014, 06:21 PM
They most overused topic of the 14/15 season is (already!) "Analytics" - so sick of it!

Doctego
10-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Ouch. Sam Bennett out 4-6 months after needing shoulder surgery.

two24four
10-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Yeah sounds like he played most of the season last year in Jr with it banged up. Might be the answer as to why he couldn't do a pull up at the combine before the draft.

Dubz
10-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Ouch. Sam Bennett out 4-6 months after needing shoulder surgery.

Ouch....good thing he is a farm player - I did use a lofty pick on him tho and was planning on waiting at least a season to see him anyways.

b_illin
10-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Dubnyk has a better GAA & SV% than Reimer so he is clearly way better.

alias
10-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Dubnyk has a better GAA & SV% than Reimer so he is clearly way better.

I know this is dripping with sarcasm but the Oilers do look even worse without him. The problem in Edmonton was not Dubnyk. Glad to see him get a shot somewhere else. And again, I never said Dubnyk was way better. I said he and Reimer were about the same. You don't really want to go through this again do ya b_?

b_illin
10-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Haha, no, I was just in a muckraking mood after seeing he had a good start to the season :lol:

two24four
10-24-2014, 11:05 AM
So Chara is out 4-6 weeks. With Boston trading Boychuck earlier their D will look a lot different for awhile

Seidenberg, McQuaid, Krug, Bartkowski, Hamilton, Miller, Morrow.

Flyers also say Coburn and MacDonald will both be out 4 weeks. Flyers might be in the McDavid talk this year along with BUF, CAR etc....

Kyle
10-24-2014, 01:53 PM
lol...Philly has 6 pts in 7 games, lets ease back on that talk. They're miserable defensively but any team finding a way to score 3 goals/game in today's NHL can find success. At least far too much success to possibly win McDavid (If you call that winning, of course).

Philly will be a team that's one hot streak away from a playoff spot all-season but won't ever hit that streak due to their defense. I highly doubt they'll any worse than 70-75 pts by season's end though.

Kyle
10-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Can we push for another lockout shortened season soon here? I'm still withdrawing from how nice it was to watch the Wings every other night during the shortened season. These 3-4 day breaks are fucked!

phaneuf6
10-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Can we push for another lockout shortened season soon here? I'm still withdrawing from how nice it was to watch the Wings every other night during the shortened season. These 3-4 day breaks are fucked!

Wings suck.

Kyle
10-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Wings suck.

The Leafs might win a cup this year, but then you'd have to turn off your Playstation. :D

boredguy
10-29-2014, 07:49 PM
I usually defend refs as they take more shit than deserved but jesus christ this is horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG-Hx2Wj1uQ

chgorman
10-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Was just gonna post about this. WTF?!?!? Embarrassing for the league.

Allowing Babcock to challenge this - even just to eliminate the penalty call if the league isn't willing to budge on the no-goal call - would've been the way to go IMO.

Kyle
10-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Yeah, Detroit is starting to really lean on the wrong side of officiating error this season. Even after that egregious call the game was called poorly, but that was obviously the icing on the cake.

Thankfully they played one of the best third periods of the Babcock era and it's a non-issue.

chgorman
10-30-2014, 12:16 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/fraser-other-officials-should-have-seen-holtby-go-down-untouched-1.120159

Solid take on the whole situation by Kerry Fraser on TSN.ca

Makes a solid point - with 1 other ref and 2 linesmen on the ice aside from the ref that actually made the call (i.e. 3 additional sets of eyes), how does not one of them see Holtby trip over the goal line and tell the ref making the call that there's no infraction since Glendening did not make any actual contact with Holtby? Blows my mind.

That aside, as Kyle mentioned, great effort by DET at both ends, bottling up Ovy isn't easy, Jimmy was a beast, Dats looks like he hasn't missed a beat and Abdelkader seems to be coming into his own offensively. Another beauty goal from Nyquist. Aside from 3 gms in a row vs. TB, CHI and MTL mid month, Wings have a pretty favourable sched for November, could be on the verge of going on a serious roll, or more of a roll than they're already on even.

Jake
11-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Just got an alert on my phone that the Pens re-upped MAF for 4 years and 23 million. As a Wings fan I LOVE this signing!!!!!!!!

Kyle
11-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Nice. Fleury sucks.

Rocklobster
11-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Includes no trade clause. :Puke:

Kyle
11-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Well, I was already almost totally done with NHL.com, but the fact that they now follow NFL.com in obnoxiously auto-playing videos when you open a new page has sealed it for me.

b_illin
11-17-2014, 12:56 PM
^ drives me nuts. Yahoo does this now as well.

Gern Blansten
11-20-2014, 05:23 PM
That's pretty shitty!

Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy on Oct. 7.
Johnson reportedly had given his parents power over his finances and they took advantage of the situation by taking out a series of loans against his contract and used it to purchase cars for themselves, a house, and other things. It got so bad that Johnson reportedly had more than $10 million in debt and had assets of less than $50,000. "I'd say I picked the wrong people who led me down the wrong path," Johnson said. "I've got people in place who are going to fix everything now. It's something I should have done a long time ago."
Source: Columbus Dispatch

Doctego
11-20-2014, 05:27 PM
That's terrible but I don't see how someone can have no idea that they're finances are so bad. He couldn't check his bank statements every 6 months? Way to get fuck over by his parents.

Doctego
11-21-2014, 04:05 PM
As more details of this come out, it's obvious that his parents are pieces of shit but I still fail to see how you don't know when someone buys a $10M house in your name and takes out additional loans of over $15M, assuming that the reported figures are correct. Did they borrow the money from Vito? Apparently, some of the interest rates are as high as 12-24%. That's crazy!!

b_illin
11-21-2014, 05:26 PM
How about that Iowa Congressman who lent him money at I believe 24% interest - predatory lending!!

Doctego
11-21-2014, 05:56 PM
How about that Iowa Congressman who lent him money at I believe 24% interest - predatory lending!!

Unless this is something different, I believe that he borrowed $2M himself in 2011 at 8%, missed payments, and then the rate went up. Apparently, it was for life insurance and disability insurance. I also don't think the guy was an elected official at the time.

Kyle
11-21-2014, 06:44 PM
15+ million of the total damages (Which I think add up to at least 20 mill) were all the result of "Monetizing his contract" which apparently means taking loans out on future earnings. It's a completely fucking moronic and lame-brained financially unwise tactic that no NHL agent in the world ever promotes, but he fired his NHL agent and trusted his parents and the advice of some disgraced former U-of-M basketball star who Johnson met when he played there. The guy's name is Maurice Taylor and apparently he is a scumbag who accepted money while playing and has earned a sleazy rep since being kicked out of the university. He somehow convinced them to monetize the contract (Maybe he has some deals set up with some of the people they loaned money from and gets a small portion of whatever athlete's pay he brings them) and that is what ultimately created the incredibly high debt.

There are loans for cars and houses that he said he didn't know about, including millions on a house that he assumed his parents had been granted as an inheritance (But apparently didn't even think to check his accounts to be sure it wasn't his money?), and they all add up to 5-7 mill or so (Based on my best guess based on what's been reported), but the overwhelming damage was done by "monetizing his contract" which is a phrase I'm still very unsure about. I haven't been able to find a clear meaning.

I really don't know how you convince somebody "If you're going to earn 20 mill over the next 4 years, you might as well loan out 20 mill now from all these different lenders." That person has to know he's going to pay interest and fall into major debt... There is something I'm failing to wrap my head around, clearly, but that is the official report, that his parents acted on the misguided suggestion (Or simply a scam) from Maurice Taylor to take loans out on Johnson's future earnings.

b_illin
11-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Monetizing his contract means borrowing money today against his future salary/earnings. That's not the best idea nor is it the worst but what was bad were those crazy high interest rates. Missed payment penalties and astronomical rates can be killer.

Sucks what happened to him but you have to be SOME stupid to not be aware of your finances to the degree he appears to have been.

Kyle
11-21-2014, 09:05 PM
A lot of the loans had instant-payments of 1-2 million due before he even had a million in his account. Those loans defaulted automatically due to obviously insufficient funds.

What a huge fucking mess. His parents are trash and I'm glad he cut them off.

Hamsterkill
11-21-2014, 09:39 PM
There are loans for cars and houses that he said he didn't know about, including millions on a house that he assumed his parents had been granted as an inheritance (But apparently didn't even think to check his accounts to be sure it wasn't his money?), and they all add up to 5-7 mill or so (Based on my best guess based on what's been reported), but the overwhelming damage was done by "monetizing his contract" which is a phrase I'm still very unsure about. I haven't been able to find a clear meaning.
The idea is that if you have the money now, you can use it to invest to get a bigger return than the loan interest rate. Of course, that only works if you don't have ridiculous interest rates... and if you actually invest the money instead of buying what I can only assume was a Lamborghini and a sizable house on Long Island.

Kyle
11-21-2014, 10:52 PM
The idea is that if you have the money now, you can use it to invest to get a bigger return than the loan interest rate. Of course, that only works if you don't have ridiculous interest rates... and if you actually invest the money instead of buying what I can only assume was a Lamborghini and a sizable house on Long Island.

lol, you have a habit of coming through with these types of explanations when needed. Makes sense, thank you. Clearly, they didn't even understand the concept and just used it as an excuse to abuse their son's finances.

b_illin
11-22-2014, 12:23 AM
http://www.thescore.com/news/637098

Lucic is such a bitch.

phaneuf6
11-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Hard to respect the guy. You can't play the role of tough guy and be such a massive whiny, pussy, douchebag at the same time.

Kyle
11-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Reminds me of that clean hit aimed high on Lucic years ago (Could be 2010) that started a full 5-5 brawl because Boston are a bunch of pussies who overreact to every legal hit. While the refs had Lucic's fight broken up, he comes from behind the pile and sucker punches the guy who hit him while that guy was engaged with somebody else (And also restrained by refs). Lucic just clocks him as hard as he could. Yet he treats this hit like a sucker punch when he instigated in the first place!

Someone tell Lucic drawing an instigator penalty with 3 seconds left in OT isn't very helpful, so drop the gloves next time pussy.

Gern Blansten
11-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Lucic is such a bitch.

Agreed, but sooo awesome to have on your fantasy team that counts PIMs & hits!

Hard to respect the guy. You can't play the role of tough guy and be such a massive whiny, pussy, douchebag at the same time.

Couldn't agree more. I beileve Jon Stewart did a great job of documenting this.

Someone tell Lucic drawing an instigator penalty with 3 seconds left in OT isn't very helpful, so drop the gloves next time pussy.

The way he's been playing this year tell me his wrist still isn't 100%. If it was good to go, no doubt he would have dropped the mitts.

Doctego
11-23-2014, 09:26 AM
I haven't searched hard but this seems to be the most detailed account of what happened with Jack Johnson:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/11/20/blind-sided.html

Gern Blansten
11-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Interesting and seriously F'ed up read.

Pretty amazing he could play with any focus with all that going on in the background.

Doctego
11-23-2014, 11:14 AM
I read an article recently about how bad of a player he is and how LA got better merely by getting rid of him. This would help explain that.

toronto1979
11-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Interesting and seriously F'ed up read.

Pretty amazing he could play with any focus with all that going on in the background.

He's got points in 6 of his last 8 games. So I think he's turned a corner now. Not to mention he's got the support of every fan in the NHL.

toronto1979
12-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Paul McLean fired by Sens.

Sucks to be him. Not really his fault the team is awful. Karlsson is their best player by a longshot. When Clarke MacArthur is on the top line, your team is in trouble.

Dave Cameron is in for the Sens.

Good coach. I worked for him when he was the coach of the Mississauga St. Mike's Majors.

Kyle
12-08-2014, 09:03 PM
The Senators just bled away talent for years while doing nothing to replace any of it. Why can't you keep Spezza if you have no one else? Confusing.

two24four
12-08-2014, 09:19 PM
The Senators just bled away talent for years while doing nothing to replace any of it. Why can't you keep Spezza if you have no one else? Confusing.

Spezza asked out.

Kyle
12-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Spezza asked out.

Ah, really didn't follow that enough.

Kyle
12-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow, the Sharks Holiday Sweater rap is miserable. I guess their fans seem to enjoy it based on some comments but it sure won't do anything to help change the "uncool, not-hip sport for lame white boys" vibe that limits the NHL's growth greatly in the US and leaves it hopelessly in the dust behind the NBA/NFL. Anyone who thought hockey wasn't cool before just got all sorts of validation with this tape. Americans thought this was lame when the Bears did it in 85 with the Superbowl shuffle. 30 years later the NHL finally caught up :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlReCoTDM4o

Hamsterkill
12-12-2014, 05:45 PM
What the heck is going on with this mumps spread? It's gotten to the point where it can't just be vaccinated players getting unlucky and contracting it anyway. Do hockey players just have a higher number of unvaccinated people for some reason? Do Canadians not normally get the MMR vaccine?

Gern Blansten
12-15-2014, 01:14 AM
What the heck is going on with this mumps spread? It's gotten to the point where it can't just be vaccinated players getting unlucky and contracting it anyway. Do hockey players just have a higher number of unvaccinated people for some reason? Do Canadians not normally get the MMR vaccine?

As of the writing of this article (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nine-players-affected-far-nhl-goes-unexpected-mumps-150730902--nhl.html), players with three different nationalities had been diagnosed. Canada, US and Sweden. I found the effectiveness percentages a little troubling as I assumed it was pretty much 100%.

Hamsterkill
12-15-2014, 09:54 AM
As of the writing of this article (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nine-players-affected-far-nhl-goes-unexpected-mumps-150730902--nhl.html), players with three different nationalities had been diagnosed. Canada, US and Sweden. I found the effectiveness percentages a little troubling as I assumed it was pretty much 100%.
Nothing's 100% and it loses effectiveness as we age. Crosby actually just had a booster earlier in the year before traveling to Russia for the Olympics and he still caught it. Still, I can't imagine it's just unlucky vaccinated people at this point, and it surprises me there would be enough unvaccinated players to help the spread like this. The MMR-autism-scare-unvaccinated shouldn't be until the '97-born players since the scare didn't start until '98.

Kyle
12-15-2014, 10:05 AM
According to the few articles I read, A vaccine at 4 and 12 gives you a roughly 88% prevention rate. One vaccine around 12 gives you a 78% prevention rate. It seems like that's the best it gets.

Hamsterkill
12-15-2014, 12:18 PM
According to the few articles I read, A vaccine at 4 and 12 gives you a roughly 88% prevention rate. One vaccine around 12 gives you a 78% prevention rate. It seems like that's the best it gets.
According to the CDC, the normal MMR vaccination schedule is to have one shot at around 1 year-old and second at 4 years-old or 11-12 years-old (bascially before either kindergarten or middle school). The immunization rate is 95% after the first and 99+% after the second. For measles and rubella, the immunity is virtually lifelong, there is some fade, but it's small enough to make a later booster usually unnecessary and cost-ineffective to widely recommend, especially with herd immunity largely in place. There's been recent evidence that mumps immunity fades quicker (the most recent outbreak contributing to that) but they're still studying by how much. I read one article suggesting that it could fade to as low as 60% after 15 years (which I guess could explain the NHL spread, despite vaccination).

toronto1979
12-15-2014, 12:26 PM
First Paul McLean gets fired for coaching a bad team to 3 points out of a playoff spot (seriously, they're only 3 points behind the Rangers).

And now the other shoe has dropped. The last place Oilers finally fired Dallas Eakins. MacTavish will coach in the interim, but it's believed Todd Nelson (their AHL coach) will have the Head Coach job by next year, he's being brought up to be Assistant Coach for now.

Sidenote: MacTavish has already been fired as the Head Coach of the Oilers once, and is the team's current General Manager. This will go well. :rolleyes:

two24four
12-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Not Eakins fault that team is a mess.

b_illin
12-15-2014, 12:35 PM
I wonder if he'd go back to the Marlies? (or Asst Coach on the Leafs...Nonis likes him a lot as I recall...as do I!)

two24four
12-15-2014, 01:05 PM
I'd take a break if I was him, for a bit anyways. He still has 2 1/2 years on his contract.

boredguy
12-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Only the Oilers, what a mess.

toronto1979
12-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Agreed. Not Eakins fault, and really it's not MacTavish's either.

MacT only re-joined the Oilers in mid-2012 (just before the draft), and became GM in 2013. So most of the organization's lack of talent (aside from their top 3) still lays with Steve Tambellini who ran the team from 2008-2013. It's really still too early to judge how the Oilers 2013 and 2014 picks will pan out.

Hamsterkill
12-15-2014, 01:54 PM
In fairness, no one expected the Oilers to be worse than the Sabres this year, so really, he's still not meeting the expectations there. At least in Carolina they've had a few injuries to help take some blame. I don't think any notable Oilers have gotten hurt this year, have they?

two24four
12-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Oilers biggest problem is they don't want trade at least one of Hall or Eberle to get a package back to help them build they way they should. They expect to get a 1st round pick + a top prospect and a player off someone's roster for Yakupov. Good luck with that.

toronto1979
12-15-2014, 02:13 PM
In fairness, no one expected the Oilers to be worse than the Sabres this year, so really, he's still not meeting the expectations there. At least in Carolina they've had a few injuries to help take some blame. I don't think any notable Oilers have gotten hurt this year, have they?
You're absolutely right. But their biggest problem is outside of Hall, Nuge and Eberle the team is really lacklustre. Perron, Purcell & Yakupov is okay for secondary scoring, but after that there's a massive drop off in talent among their forwards.

Their defence is awful, they don't have a single player on the blueline who can anchor the point, and they don't have a starting goalie. So while they still have the ability to score 3 goals per game, they don't have the ability to stop 3 goals per game - Which is why they have allowed a league leading 104 goals against and have a league leading -39 goal differential (Buffalo's is -35 but lately have had MUCH better goaltending).

Eakins takes some of the blame for their abyssmal play this year. but it all stems back to the Tambellini years. They're still picking up the pieces from the mess he left. Yes he drafted the big three, but any one of us could've done that. Its the depth players he lacked to pick up that created this mess.

two24four
12-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Only thing they have done that I have liked the last little while is sending Nurse back to Jr and keeping him away from that mess. Something they should have also done with Draisaitl this season.

b_illin
12-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Franson & Lupul for Eberle :D

Hamsterkill
12-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Eakins takes some of the blame for their abyssmal play this year. but it all stems back to the Tambellini years. They're still picking up the pieces from the mess he left. Yes he drafted the big three, but any one of us could've done that. Its the depth players he lacked to pick up that created this mess.
Oh, definitely. I'm not saying Eakins is the whole reason. I'd be one of the first in line to criticize the Oilers' management over the years. I just thought I'd point out that even with the low expectations people should have had for that team this year, Eakins has still failed to meet them. I don't think you can look at the Oilers' roster and say they should be behind Buffalo's in the standings.

Kyle
12-15-2014, 04:25 PM
I just can't believe so many hockey fans actually follow the Oilers these days. I'm hearing all sorts of names for my first time. :D Truly the epitome of an irrelevant, poorly run franchise since the cup finals loss to the Canes.

toronto1979
12-15-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't think you can look at the Oilers' roster and say they should be behind Buffalo's in the standings.
On a technicality you could argue they're not. Buffalo is 15th and Edmonton is 14th. :lol:

While watering down the NHL talent pool, the one good thing adding Las Vegas and Seattle to the NHL will be balancing out the two conferences, since the NHL didn't see it necessary to create two 15 teams conferences during re-alignment.

Kyle
12-15-2014, 05:13 PM
While watering down the NHL talent pool, the one good thing adding Las Vegas and Seattle to the NHL will be balancing out the two conferences, since the NHL didn't see it necessary to create two 15 teams conferences during re-alignment.

I would assume they made that decision with westward expansion in mind, but I don't see why one of the Wings or Blue Jackets couldn't have just stayed in the West for a few more seasons. I suppose that wasn't competitively fair to them, but imbalanced conferences are a way bigger issue than some extra travel

Hamsterkill
12-15-2014, 05:25 PM
I would assume they made that decision with westward expansion in mind, but I don't see why one of the Wings or Blue Jackets couldn't have just stayed in the West for a few more seasons. I suppose that wasn't competitively fair to them, but imbalanced conferences are a way bigger issue than some extra travel
Well the original proposal they had actually had the Western conferences at 8 each (DET and CLB staying with Western teams) and the Eastern ones at 7 each. They clearly were looking for this 4 divsioned setup for some reason, and you can't divide 30 by 4.

If they had gone with the original plan, I suppose we'd be talking about adding teams in Quebec City and Milwaukee, maybe.

Kyle
12-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Well the original proposal they had actually had the Western conferences at 8 each (DET and CLB staying with Western teams) and the Eastern ones at 7 each. They clearly were looking for this 4 divsioned setup for some reason, and you can't divide 30 by 4.

If they had gone with the original plan, I suppose we'd be talking about adding teams in Quebec City and Milwaukee, maybe.

That honestly seems more economically wise if that were the case.

5 goals at the end of the 2nd between Ott and Buf. Anyone who showed up to that got way more than they paid for. :lol:

toronto1979
12-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Take this for what it's worth considering it's from an anonymous "insider" (claims to be a former player), but here's a series of tweets from:

https://twitter.com/HockeyyInsiderr

• #BREAKINGNEWS #Leafs are aggressively pursuing Eric Staal. Source says they are the front runners but unlikely deal done before trade freeze
• Source says there is an offer on the table from #Leafs for #Canes Staal and one of the pieces is Bozak. Expect trade talks to continue.
• More trade talks approaching trade freeze: #Oilers have had MULTIPLE phone conversations with both #Sabres and #Habs over the last 24 hours.
• I am told that while Hall could be available the talks between #Oilers and #Habs/#Sabres are centered around Eberle and Yakupov mostly.
• According 2source #Habs would like to add either Yakupov or Eberle & are willing to put together a package containing Emelin and "a center".
• Being told that the #Habs would be more open towards including Desharnais in the deal but Eller could be available if the return is right.
• On the #Sabres front the names I keep hearing are Stewart and Myers. But there is a strong belief Myers isn't leaving unless return = Hall.
• Talks are heating up and while it remains unlikely a major deal goes down before trade freeze teams are laying down groundwork for afterward

wendel_
12-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Looking through his previous tweets, it looks like Eklund has started a new anonymous insider twitter account ha

two24four
12-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Dreger was on during the 1st INT of the Leafs game last night with some rumors. The only ones he had for the Leafs was that they are looking for maybe another d-man, that is when he brought up Yandle's name. Then he said they also wouldn't mind getting another bottom 6 forward, he said maybe a 4th line centre.

Unless it comes from one of the big insiders I don't listen to it.

boredguy
12-19-2014, 02:50 PM
When did the last Dreger trade rumour actually come to fruition? He's kind of turned into TSN's Eklund.

b_illin
12-19-2014, 03:03 PM
^ hahaha

two24four
12-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Yeah sometimes it seems like that. He does get a lot of good info though at times. I'll still take what he says over people who we have no clue who they are.

Kyle
12-28-2014, 12:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-C8WBJ2MKs

What a well-conditioned freak of an athlete Nyquist is to somehow have the energy left to do this at the end of overtime

If overtime were 10 minutes the Wings would probably be 1st in the NHL. Too many scary skaters for all that open space.

Kyle
12-28-2014, 12:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZAOrpzlas

I think this clearly beats Bobby Ryan's toe-drag as the current goal of the year. Ovechkin had to contend with two players, Ryan only one. Ryan's skill on the move before the goal was super sweet but I'll take Ovechkin's sprawling top shelf backhand any day. Not to mention that very subtle forehand fake to freeze the goalie just enough to open space. Scary good.

phaneuf6
01-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Oilers pick up a 2015 first rounder from the Pens for Perron.

two24four
01-02-2015, 12:41 PM
That's a really good trade for the Oilers in what is a very deep draft.

Hamsterkill
01-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Well it certainly looks like Edmonton is resigning itself to last place now.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 01:51 PM
To preface, I don't need one person to tell me Perron's value, I'm 100% aware, but the fact that he just got traded for a 1st round pick utterly exposes how completely useless an NHL first round pick is. If you're telling me an organization doesn't like it's chances of drafting a guy better than Perron near the late 1st, then a 1st rounder really is worth jack shit in the NHL after the first 5-10 picks.

In the NFL a player of Perron's caliber would have an incredibly tough time fetching a 5th rounder in a trade, maybe a 4th in a miracle scenario. Now I'm itching to go look at draft numbers and see just how often early hockey draft picks fail, because it is insane how little value draft picks have in this league. I make this point a lot, but a new trade comes along that just amazes me all over again.

Perron was a late 1st rounder who has just barely worked out as a late 1st rounder. How do you trade ANOTHER first for him? Is that how low the standard is? 3 20 goal seasons in 7 years, 3 garbage years in between, so they trade a 1st for him? It's like the Penguins are admitting that's way better than they can ever do with the same pick. God forbid they draft well outside the top 5 for a change. :rolleyes:

Oh well, great for the Oilers, dumb on the Pens like usual

Dubz
01-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Have you checked out the Pens injury list? A dont disagree a 1st is too much but the Oil have nothing to lose so they could hold out for it i guess.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Well it certainly looks like Edmonton is resigning itself to last place now.

I don't know how any team with a guy producing at < .500 PPG would ever stop and think about trading him for a 1st and opening up 4 mill in cap space (Whether you need it or not). I think the story here is the Penguins have resigned themselves to being non-factors in a deep draft year just for the small, small boost Perron gives their top 6.

They better hope that Kunitz/Neal effect works the same on Perron or this looks like a joke for Pittsburgh by season's end. I know he has a season or two at some really solid numbers but it's hard to simply project those same stats in new organizations, especially when his best season came on an inept Edmenton squad with no mind for defense, so he got to simply shoot at will.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Have you checked out the Pens injury list? A dont disagree a 1st is too much but the Oil have nothing to lose so they could hold out for it i guess.

Good point. But I don't think a team has to react to it's injuries every year. I don't think every injured team by the trade deadline needs to dump a 1st for a guy who is hardly worth one. Sometimes your luck is just bad, there's rarely a miracle move to make as a GM to fix it. The Pens continually deprive themselves of ammunition for the future to win now, and haven't won now in a long time, so at some point they need to get back to building properly and stop letting their high position in the standings fool them. They may be top 3 every year but they've been that for 8 years. It means nothing.

The Pens can keep acting like a top-team that just needs that small push, but we all know they're much further than that from a Stanley cup win, so they should quit trying to inflate their bubble and just let it pop and build towards a successful second half of Crosby's career. If that means going into the postseason slightly undermanned for the sake of drafting a much stronger squad in the next 2-3 years, then so be it.

I know going from worst-to-first by virtue of a bunch of top 5 picks doesn't exactly teach any of the right lessons as far as sustainable team-building goes, but the Hawks learned those lessons anyway, too bad the Pens didn't. ;)

Rocklobster
01-02-2015, 02:34 PM
I don't even know why you compare the nhl to nfl.... it's so apples and oranges. This trade for the pens is good and also for the oil. They gave away a late 1st round pick for a top 6 winger who is ready now. It's what we need to win now, who the fuck cares about the late 1st round draft pick? only teams who are rebuilding is who. We have tonnes of prospects being developed but aren't quite ready to take on a top 6 role. There have been so many injuries this year, I believe we have the 2nd most or even 1st in the league. I like this trade for us and IMO it makes sense.

Rocklobster
01-02-2015, 02:39 PM
"The Pens can keep acting like a top-team that just needs that small push, but we all know they're much further than that from a Stanley cup win."

laughable.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 02:42 PM
I don't even know why you compare the nhl to nfl....

Or the NHL to any league, really? 1st round picks being thrown around like candy is pretty rare in any sport.

Calling Perron a top 6 winger is using the very loosest possible definition of a top-6 winger. Anyone you put on the top 6 is technically a top 6 winger. :lol: Dude's a 50 pt peak out and yes he's scored 28 goals but let's quit acting like that's some automatic figure for him to reach. Consider yourself lucky if he scores at a 20 goal pace.

It's what we need to win now, who the fuck cares about the late 1st round draft pick? only teams who are rebuilding is who.

My Goodness, if this ridiculousness is the response of most Pens fans, then you truly do have the right GM and the right team to cheer for. As long as you can finish tops in the regular season every year and give the illusion that you're a cup contender, who cares about actually building a stronger team? How many embarrassing playoff exits before you realize you do need to rebuild in some areas? Let's just repeat the Jokinen signing every single year, go through the same cap issues every single off-season, struggle in the exact same way every single playoff run, and cheer the next year when he signs another Jokinen/Perron/etc.. It hasn't worked yet, but surely you guys will bash your head against the wall enough to succeed eventually?

I disagree that this was the ideal move for the Pens. I don't think Perron gives them more than a microscopic higher chance to do anything in the playoffs and I think they need to start drafting well at some point and getting some sort of genuine production from basically free players. You can't really on picks and trades because established producers demand big contracts. You win in the NHL by having cheap players produce way beyond their salaries (Oh hey, same as in the NFL, maybe not so apples to oranges after all?) which the Penguins wouldn't know the meaning of because they get rid of those players (Or the draft picks needed to sign them) to take on mediocre mid-range scorers at high salaries.

The Pens will never dominate like they should with their core group because they are hilariously mismanaged beyond their core. What a Ray Sherro-like move from Rutherford.

two24four
01-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Yeah you can't compare the NFL draft to the NHL draft.

Hamsterkill
01-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Or the NHL to any league, really? 1st round picks being thrown around like candy is pretty rare in any sport.

Let's just repeat the Jokinen signing every single year, go through the same cap issues every single off-season, struggle in the exact same way every single playoff run, and cheer the next year when he signs another Jokinen/Perron/etc.. It hasn't worked yet, but surely you guys will bash your head against the wall enough to succeed eventually?
Jokinen? I have no idea what you're talking about there. Jussi came to the Pens at a ridiculously cheap price from the 'Canes and the Pens never signed him after that.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah you can't compare the NFL draft to the NHL draft.

Phaneuf has already explained this well, I get it, I wasn't making the point that because this trade wouldn't happen in the NFL, it shouldn't happen in the NFL. No matter what you say though, this is a hilarious admission that "20 goals, 50 pts is more than we can accomplish with our 1st round pick." In ANY sport, Perron's production relative to the rest of the league does NOT warrant a 1st round pick. Even given Phaneuf's explanation on the difficulty of using a 1st round pick well in hockey, you never discredit the pick to the point of saying you don't expect a guy of even Perron's caliber. Perron is really not that good and that's just a silly place to set the bar for a 1st round pick.

Even if you only expect your 1st to be as good as Perron, at least you get that production dirt-cheap. But you really should be expecting to draft better.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Jokinen? I have no idea what you're talking about there. Jussi came to the Pens at a ridiculously cheap price from the 'Canes and the Pens never signed him after that.

I was surprised to read they only had given up a 6th/7th for Jokinen, and that certainly doesn't do much to hold them back as an individual case (Because they dumped him that offseason) but the cycle of attempting to address glaring deficiencies through mid-season acquisitions and neglecting proper building through the draft has been well-established in Pittsburgh for years. I'd love to hear a refute of that. Unsustainable success seems to be the goal in Pittsburgh. You have 15 years to look forward to with Crosby and Malkin, and instead of trying to build a foundation they can stand on for at least 10 of those years through draft picks, you continually make moves that'll force you to juggle up your roster every off-season to dance around a cap you will never stay under because you have no cheap production. Now if Perron does work out, that's someone else who needs to go to save money, someone else who needs to be brought in (Someone bad, because they'll have no money) to replace him. Rather than a cheap draft pick who doesn't impose any of those cap issues (Or chemistry issues).

In the Pen's defense, they were able to see Niskanen was a bit of a clown who couldn't produce without a great situation, so kudos to that one good move, even though I'm sure you miss him tons right now ;)

Hamsterkill
01-02-2015, 03:32 PM
but the cycle of attempting to address glaring deficiencies through mid-season acquisitions and neglecting proper building through the draft has been well-established in Pittsburgh for years. I'd love to hear a refute of that.

To a point, sure. But the Pens have only missed out on one first round since their Stanley Cup (Calgary selected Morgan Klimchuck with the Pens' pick in 2013). And they only traded one of their 1st round picks away since their Cup (Joe Morrow to Dallas). I think the relative weakness of the picks they have made has been more of a factor than the picks they've sold, honestly.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 03:44 PM
To a point, sure. But the Pens have only missed out on one first round since their Stanley Cup (Calgary selected Morgan Klimchuck with the Pens' pick in 2013). And they only traded one of their 1st round picks away since their Cup (Joe Morrow to Dallas). I think the relative weakness of the picks they have made has been more of a factor than the picks they've sold, honestly.

Honestly, I'm just forcing some sort of fucking discussion, even if it means just blindly airing out my bias against one team. Not sure there's been an exchange on HI in weeks :D

I definitely do strongly disagree with this trade, but there's no denying that if you list their 1st round picks since Staal, you would take Perron over virtually all of them. But there's new management in place now and I would've liked to see what Rutherford had in mind for his first major draft pick as a Penguin. I guess we'll be waiting until 2016 for that.

Hamsterkill
01-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Kapanen was technically a Rutherford pick. He'd had the job for a few weeks when the draft came around.

phaneuf6
01-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Must be quiet in the NHL when this trade generates this much discussion. I think, quiet frankly, it's a great deal for the Pens. Perron is a 60 point winger and to get him for a very uncertain first rounder (albeit in a good draft) and Klinkhammer...great deal.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Perron is a 60 point winger

50 at best. 57 one year and 30-50 pt pace the other 7 years does not make a 60 pt winger. And that is a significant difference because a good top-six player is separated from third liners in that 40-60 pt range. If Perron were anything close to an easy 60 pts, there wouldn't be a discussion taking place. But he isn't that or anything remotely close to that.

Kyle
01-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Is Sidney Crosby actually on a cold streak?

I'm confused. I haven't seen this in 5+ years. Has he been dragging around a broken leg, rib, arm, and every other bone in between?

2 goals and 5 pts in 12 games seems incomprehensible from Crosby. I'd still bet anything he's winning the Art Ross, but wow, I guess the Pens really did need help.

wendel_
01-02-2015, 05:06 PM
From everything I've heard, it's likely because of the mumps for Sid. I seem to recall something from Beauchemin along the lines of that its the worst he's ever felt, and that you're just completely drained from it even once you're back and not contagious. I know nothing about the mumps still, so I could be wrong - but it seems to be too much of a coincidence for his poor play not to be at least partly because of that.

Also, as far as Perron for the first, I think it's more along the lines of what you said, Kyle, when you said shows how useless a first round pick is. Or at least what is almost guaranteed to be a bottom five first round pick. Obviously there are exceptions, such as in the year Perron was drafted, Montreal got Pacioretty at 22, but that draft year from picks 16-30 I think it's safe to say that Perron is the second best player (with Pacioretty obviously being first) that was drafted in the entire second half of the draft, with the majority of players it would take a serious hockey nut to even know what team they are playing for right now without looking it up (and for many, the more appropriate question might be what league they are playing in).
Obviously too it depends on draft year, and by all accounts this is a deep draft - but if you go back throughout the drafts over the past 10 years and just look at picks, say 23-30 (which is a safe range - I highly doubt Pittsburgh drafts any higher than 23), in that range of 8 picks almost without fail there are only 1 or 2 guys at most per year that are serviceable NHLers. Not "solid" NHLers, just serviceable/good players.

So to me this trade makes sense for both sides as well. Perron will help the Pens and from their end, and odds are he will help them more than that pick ever will. And for the Oilers, obviously, why not trade a guy that isn't part of your long term plans for a first rounder just in case that pick ends up actually being good

Hamsterkill
01-04-2015, 03:24 AM
Really bummed about capgeek shutting down. It was one of the most informative and reliable websites around for salary and CBA-related info. I hope Wuest can fight off whatever illness has taken him out of commission.

toronto1979
01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Really bummed about capgeek shutting down. It was one of the most informative and reliable websites around for salary and CBA-related info. I hope Wuest can fight off whatever illness has taken him out of commission.
Well at least there's still http://nhlnumbers.com

Hamsterkill
01-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Well at least there's still http://nhlnumbers.com

True, but capgeek always seemed to be the best at making info from the arcane CBA accessible.

Kyle
01-05-2015, 06:58 PM
This year's Ducks could stay lucky and end this year as the least impressive Presidents trophy winners in history.

Not that this team is historically bad or anything close, but for a #1 seed in the NHL (by a comfortable 4 pts), they are hilariously average at best. 20-0-6 in 1 goal games, 11 more pts than the next closest team in the NHL in 1 goal games. +5 goal differential, the lowest of any playoff team, barely edging out the Leafs by 3 goals (The Leafs have a +8 differential, but they don't have the fortune of a bunch of lucky 1 goal wins so they're 13 pts behind Anaheim)

It's totally unsustainable and unlikely that they keep up with the Hawks/Preds/Habs/Pens at this rate (Relying too much on 1-goal wins inevitably leads to a long losing streak) but they're making it work for them now. The entire Ducks squad has basically hitched a sleigh on Getzlaf's back and are shouting "Mush boy" all the way to the #1 seed.

We could be seeing the 12th-15th best team in the league this year by any reasonable metric (Statistically or just based on the eye test, they just aren't that good) win the presidents trophy and home ice all playoffs, despite their 17th ranked offense, 15th ranked defense, 14th ranked 5on5 F/A, 23rd ranked powerplay, and 19th ranked penalty kill.

The West will majorly disappoint me if they don't get this silliness corrected and overtake Anaheim.

nyrblue2
01-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Congrats to Patrik Elias on his 1000th NHL point. Seems like one of the good guys. Same franchise his whole career and as much as I despise the Devils, you gotta respect that. I remember him coming into Albany the year after they won the Calder Cup and tearing it up for a couple years.

Rocklobster
01-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Honestly, I'm just forcing some sort of fucking discussion, even if it means just blindly airing out my bias against one team. Not sure there's been an exchange on HI in weeks :D

lol I knew you were trolling. But I do want to address the early exits from the playoffs. IMO it comes down to which Fleury we will get in the post season or if Crosby can stay healthy after all the physical abuse. I've seen him get beaten up and then he disappears. Sorta like his cold streak now...
yes it worries me a bit but I still think we can make it to the finals with this squad, I just hope everyone can stay healthy for a long stretch in the regular season so we can build some real chemistry between our lines.

Kyle
01-08-2015, 04:30 PM
lol I knew you were trolling. But I do want to address the early exits from the playoffs. IMO it comes down to which Fleury we will get in the post season or if Crosby can stay healthy after all the physical abuse. I've seen him get beaten up and then he disappears. Sorta like his cold streak now...
yes it worries me a bit but I still think we can make it to the finals with this squad, I just hope everyone can stay healthy for a long stretch in the regular season so we can build some real chemistry between our lines.

Yeah, it's really more about drawing the right match ups for the Pens at this point, but it's hard to argue they aren't still a top 3-4 contender in the East where nobody is really stepping up besides the Habs.

Kyle
01-09-2015, 12:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF32S8RqVio

It's almost impossible to find pranks this harmless and clever these days. I was laughing a ton at this, awesome reactions

Dubz
01-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Thats awesome lol

Kyle
01-14-2015, 03:32 AM
9 pts in 5 games for Crosby. So much for those mumps.

Watch him finish 20 pts ahead for the Art Ross.

two24four
01-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Just for fun my mid season awards.

Art Ross- Jakub Voracek- Leads NHL with 52 points.
Hart- Pekka Rinne- NSH has 29 wins he has 29 wins. 1.96 GAA .931 SV%.
Rocket- Tyler Seguin/Rick Nash- Lead NHL with 26 goals. Two less games for Nash.
Selke- Toews Beast at both ends of the ice. +15.
Lady Byng- Patrick Kane- 47 points 2 PIM's.
Norris- Mark Giordano Flames would not be where they are without him this season.
Vezina- Pekka Rinne.
Calder- Ekblad. I know some rookie forwards have some nice numbers, but what Ekblad is doing as an 18 year old d-man is unreal.
Jack Adams- Paul Maurice. He still has Winnipeg in a wild card spot even after all their injuries this season.

phaneuf6
01-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Ekblad has been terrific. Easily the Calder winner at this point.

Hamsterkill
01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Ekblad has been terrific. Easily the Calder winner at this point.

I dunno. He's been great, but D-men tend to only get the Calder when no forwards really make a case. I have a feeling if the season ended today it would go to Forsberg.

two24four
01-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Ekblad is 18 right out of Jr playing over 22 mins a night. He's also putting up nice numbers and is + 10. Ekblad is a beast and only going to get better.

b_illin
01-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Ekblad hands down

ANyone know why Capgeek shut down?

Kyle
01-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Ekblad easily? I don't know about that guys. I'll actually call that a ridiculous comment to say it's easily his trophy right now.

If everyone's season doubled today (It's the halfway mark) Forsberg has 80 pts, 30 goals and a +46

Ekblad has 48 pts, 10 goals, and a +20

Sorry guys, what am I missing? It would be one thing if Ekblad was a great all around D-man, but he's not. He's an offensive specialist right now. He plays basically no shorthanded time and for all his size he really doesn't seem to be a defensive force the few times I watch him. If Ekblad were thrust into some 23-24 minute feature roll, I give him more credit, but he's just a 21 minute offensive specialist. If anything Forsberg at 18 minutes per night and +23 is even more impressive.

It's a close race, but the advantage is indisputable Forsberg's, and if the voting occurred today it would indisputably be Forsberg's award. It's like you guys literally forgot the last 30 years of history to even possibly say it could be "easily Ekblad's trophy."

Kyle
01-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Tyler Myers was the last Calder D-man winner, and his season was 100% as good as Ekblad's this year if not better. Myers was just as good offensively, but was much more of an all-around two-way force and played 3 more minutes per night (still at a +13) and 3 shorthanded minutes per game vs Ekblad's 20 seconds. And your guy's point about age is 100% irrelevant. Calder voters don't give a fuck and never have given a fuck. Being 18 never gave someone an advantage over an eligible 24 year old, and it won't start this year.

I'll go as far as to say Myer's season was in every single way imaginable way more impressive than Ekblad. He still BARELY beat out Jimmy Howard and Matt Duchene, despite Duchene's forgettable 55 pt season and Howard's good-but-not-amazing .924/2.24 stat line. Forsberg's season is 100x more impressive than Duchene's in every category. PS - Howard was 25. It didn't matter, he still got votes. So if you think being 18 helps Ekblad, you're simply wrong.

Not even a slight chance Ekblad competes with Forsberg in votes right now. Pure silly talk. Hilarious that this is the first time all season I've heard anybody deny that Forsberg is the runaway favorite by far, and 2 people managed to agree. You Leafers stick together :D

The discussion isn't who you want to win, it's who will win, and anyone thinking rationally (And based on history) knows Forsberg would win by a clear margin if they voted today. You guys are voting with your hearts, not your minds, but truthfully even my heart tells me Forsberg's season was way more impressive.

two24four
01-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Forsberg has been playing pro hockey for 5 years starting in Sweden. Last season he played 40+ games in the AHL plus 13 more in in the NHL. Ekblad is 18 and played Jr last season while not looking out of place in the NHL this season. Ekblad is a beast. Watch him play. He's called the man child for a reason.

Rocklobster
01-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Dubnyk to Min for a 3rd.

Gern Blansten
01-14-2015, 06:08 PM
B_ill, the guy who owned capgeek had some serious health issues and could not continue. Hope he recovers and gets it back online. Great resource.

The death spiral continues here in Minnesota: the Wild have acquired Devan Dubnyk. :wtf:

Thoughts on the next coach? Would Dan Bylsma just be a different looking Mike Yeo (same system etc).

*edit: Suter gets two games for the flagrant elbow in last night game.

Rocklobster
01-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Lol

Gern Blansten
01-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Forsberg should be the front runner for the Calder, IMO. He's on pace for 29g, 76pts and a +46 season. Pretty burly, even for a veteran.

Kyle
01-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Forsberg has been playing pro hockey for 5 years starting in Sweden. Last season he played 40+ games in the AHL plus 13 more in in the NHL. Ekblad is 18 and played Jr last season while not looking out of place in the NHL this season. Ekblad is a beast. Watch him play. He's called the man child for a reason.

Yet again, you're saying why you want him to win, not why he will. None of those are even relevant conversations for the voters to have. You're not allowed to downgrade somebody for those reasons nor are you allowed to upgrade them for those reasons.

Everyone eligible is equally eligible. The 18 year old doesn't get favor over the 24 year old and the guy with 5 years experience doesn't get downgraded over a "True rookie" or whatever BS you want to call it. All that matters is this year, who is better - nothing else. Again, there's a reason Jimmy Howard got 750 votes as a 25 year old with TONS of pro experience. Because you're not allowed to use that against him in voting. He was a rookie, Ekblad is a rookie, Forsberg is a rookie, there are no further distinctions to be made. No such thing as an "18 year old rookie" or "23 year old rookie." A rookie is a rookie.

I've watched Ekblad a good bit, he looks great, but he isn't close to Forsberg. Forsberg is not only by far the #1 rookie this year but maybe a top 10 player in the NHL overall this year. This is one of the most impressive rookie seasons we've seen in a long time. This is every bit as good as Crosby and Ovechkin if you consider how much more scoring occurred back then right after the lockout. And he's doing it in all areas of the game. He is the reason the predators might be the best team in the NHL this year and he should get the most hart votes as a rookie since Ovechkin finished in 6th place. He leads a president trophy contender in goals, points, and +/-. It's silliness how good he is.

Ekblad is really not even much of a contender for votes right now, Forsberg would get at least twice as many votes today if not more than that.

Kyle
01-14-2015, 06:48 PM
The fact that you continually need to say "For an 18 year old, he's amazing" "Considering no pro experience, he's amazing " " He doesn't have the same 5 years of pro experience" etc. pretty much suggests you're fully aware that his season is not actually close to Forsberg's at face value. And I pity anyone that thinks Calder voting looks beyond face value. Like most NHL awards, it does not.

But it feels wrong to have to say it like that. Even if the voting were more respectable, Forsberg still clearly deserves it this year.

phaneuf6
01-14-2015, 07:48 PM
I would be willing to give it the old Mark Messier guarantee that Ekblad would win the Calder if the votes were cast today.* We'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

*I realize this statement means nothing because the votes aren't ​cast today. :lol:

Hamsterkill
01-14-2015, 09:53 PM
For what it's worth, Forsberg was favored by the guys at Yahoo, some of whom do have votes, I believe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-awards-at-the-midpoint--yahoo-sports-picks-the-winners-181000199.html

Kyle
01-14-2015, 09:59 PM
I would be willing to give it the old Mark Messier guarantee that Ekblad would win the Calder if the votes were cast today.* We'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

*I realize this statement means nothing because the votes aren't ​cast today. :lol:

I just think the Tyler Myers year exposes just how under-appreciated great rookie D-men seasons are.

Myers -1200 Howard -800 Duchene -750

And that was with Duchene at 55 pts on a horrible Avs team. Forsberg is on pace for 30 goals/80 pts and a +45 on the maybe the NHL's #1 team, leading them in all 3 categories

two24four
01-14-2015, 10:28 PM
I'm with Phaneuf. If the voting was today its Ekblad's to lose.

Kyle
01-14-2015, 10:38 PM
A big part of it rests on where Florida ends up this season. The Calder is a bit of an MVP award as well and if Forsberg is on a top 3 team and the Panthers miss the playoffs, there won't be much debate.

two24four
01-14-2015, 10:55 PM
I think we can all agree on this. The Caps were nuts to trade Forsberg for Erat.

Hamsterkill
01-15-2015, 12:46 AM
I think we can all agree on this. The Caps were nuts to trade Forsberg for Erat.

:lol: Believe me, it's a sore point in the area, still. Every Caps fan I find to talk hockey with this year inevitably brings it up.

Doctego
01-15-2015, 06:20 AM

That's great but has nothing to do with the Calder.

Hamsterkill
01-15-2015, 10:26 AM
I think the voters tend to use age and professional experience as tiebreakers if they see two candidates as more or less equal. I don't think that's the case here, though.

b_illin
01-15-2015, 11:19 AM

You guys are deluding yourself if you think that the voters won't be taking this into account. They are not supposed to, and by all means some will not, but a lot will.

Doctego
01-15-2015, 11:44 AM
If voters take his nickname into account, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. All it takes is 1 voter so you're probably right in that someone will use outside factors but extra things like age and nickname shouldn't matter at all.

two24four
01-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Nickname no. But everything else yes. Not many d-man come right out of Jr and step right into the NHL at 18 and not look out of place. He's been playing vs 16 year olds the last few years while Forsberg has been playing vs men for a few years. That is what I am saying. That is huge.

Kyle
01-15-2015, 12:17 PM
The voting history is there to look up year by year, and I see nothing to even slightly suggest age (or pro experience) has ever played a factor.

Hamsterkill
01-15-2015, 12:28 PM
The voting history is there to look up year by year, and I see nothing to even slightly suggest age (or pro experience) has ever played a factor.
I would argue that it probably helped Myers fend off Howard in the voting, but, again, mostly by being a kind of tiebreaker between them.

phaneuf6
01-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Voters will talk to the players too. The players I've spoken to have expressed just how impressive Ekblad is, and how tough he is to play against.

Hamsterkill
01-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Ekblad. The kid is great. I'm even rooting for him for the Calder. I'm just trying to be realistic here. The last 3 defensemen to win the Calder were Tyler Myers, Barrett Jackman and Bryan Berard. They're also the only 3 defenseman wins in the last 20 years.

Myers' best forward competition was Duchene who scored only 7 more points than Myers in one less game and was a -12 relative to Myers.

Jackman just barely edged Zetterberg in voting where Zetts only scored 44 points and Jackman was a defensive force to be reckoned with for the Blues.

Berard's best competition was Iginla. Iggy scored all of 2 points more than Berard and was -5 relative to Berard.

(I realize +/- is a flawed stat, but it was all that was around)

D-men just don't win Calders when there's a forward making a strong case.

b_illin
01-15-2015, 01:51 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway_blog/2015/01/maple-leafs-in-the-middle-of-the-best-and-worst-drafting-teams.html

best and worst drafting teams

Kyle
01-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Ekblad. The kid is great. I'm even rooting for him for the Calder. I'm just trying to be realistic here. The last 3 defensemen to win the Calder were Tyler Myers, Barrett Jackman and Bryan Berard. They're also the only 3 defenseman wins in the last 20 years.

Myers' best forward competition was Duchene who scored only 7 more points than Myers in one less game and was a -12 relative to Myers.

Jackman just barely edged Zetterberg in voting where Zetts only scored 44 points and Jackman was a defensive force to be reckoned with for the Blues.

Berard's best competition was Iginla. Iggy scored all of 2 points more than Berard and was -5 relative to Berard.

(I realize +/- is a flawed stat, but it was all that was around)

D-men just don't win Calders when there's a forward making a strong case.

You said it perfectly. Right down to the last words. Strong Case. In today's NHL, that would be 20 goals, 65-70 pts, and a positive +/- on a winning team. Those numbers imply a forward did good enough to earn a calder 9 out of 10 years in today's NHL, and that's a statistical fact because that is roughly the stat line of most of the winners since the Crosby year.

Now, this year, we have a guy shattering those standards in every category. He's (on pace for) 30 goals, 80 pts, +45, the NHL's top 3 team, the clear best player on that top team and leader in every major category on that top team,

If Forsberg were having a Jeff Skinner or Mackinnon-like season, you guys would have a point. As it is, it's kind of a mockery to actually act like there's a debate over who would win if the voting occurred today. You guys are acting like Ekblad is doing wayyy more than he is. He's an offensive specialist. Not much more to say right now.

Advanced stats are even more damning for Ekblad, as Forsberg is even more glaringly ahead on those metrics.

Kyle
01-15-2015, 04:30 PM
This is the only article I could find that doesn't declare the calder a clear win for Forsberg right now, and even it concludes with:

That being said, unless Forsberg stumbles in the second half the award will likely go to the Swedish sniper. He’s been the driving force behind the Nashville Predators resurgence this season and is on pace for 30 goals and close to 80 points. Like many of the NHL awards, points trump play. Nathan MacKinnon won the award last year with 63 points so if Forsberg gets anywhere close to 80 he should be a lock for the Calder.

Again, this was by far the most generous article in favor of Ekblad that I could find. No one else suggested Ekblad's a better player like this guy did. So even the one guy who agrees with you all (That Ekblad is better) is realistic enough to know there won't be a close vote if Forsberg keeps up his pace.

http://thehockeywriters.com/forsberg-vs-ekblad-the-calder-debate/

b_illin
01-15-2015, 04:38 PM
I remember the year Clarkson was on pace for 40+ goals...tis a long season!

Kyle
01-15-2015, 07:19 PM
I remember the year Clarkson was on pace for 40+ goals...tis a long season!

In one corner, we're taking bets on the 18 year old defenseman sustaining his top-scoring rate and scoring 3 pts every 5 gameson -by far- the most offensively challenged team in playoff contention. Nobody on his team is on pace for 50 pts - his linemates are garbage. (poor linemates won't get him much votes, it will only hold back his stats). He's on the worst powerplay in the NHL by far after Buffalo (Who aren't a hockey team therefor they don't count) and on a 25th ranked offense.

In the other, you have a guy on a team who's entire top-6 should outproduce every single forward in Florida, getting 18+ minutes per night non-stop on line #1, getting the most powerplay time of all rookies (Also a bad PP but that's because their #2 unit is useless, their #1 unit does just fine where Forsberg plays. 11 powerplay pts vs 4 for Ekblad). A guy who has been extremely productive at a professional level for all 3 of his adult years playing on the 7th ranked offense.

Who seems more likely to maintain? easy bet

b_illin
01-15-2015, 08:47 PM
Well, if you look at the stats, Ekblad's stats have been getting better and better as the season goes so that's something to keep in mind. As a pure rookie with zero pro experience playing against men it would be reasonably expected that it would take some time for his game to develop...that it took 1/4/-1/3 of a season alone will get him votes. He's also +10 on a team that, as you describe, is garbage so hmmmmmm.

Guess we'll have to wait a few months to see!

two24four
01-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Rick Nash is playing like Rick Nash again. Two more goals today to give him 28 this season which now leads the NHL.

Doctego
01-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Speaking for Rangers fans, he needs to do this in the playoffs.

two24four
01-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Bob McKenzie was just on during the 1st INT of the Sens/Rangers game talking about the next World Cup format. He said the top 6 countries Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech's will all be their. Then he said they want to make two more teams, one with NHL players from other countries not in the top 6 so players from Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, Slovenia etc.... the other team would be made up of North America players under the age of 23.

He said it's not signed off on yet, but this is what they are thinking.

Not sure I'm a fan of this.

boredguy
01-20-2015, 08:22 PM
That sounds pretty dumb to me.

Hamsterkill
01-20-2015, 09:30 PM
The NA youngsters team sounds like a dumb idea to me. A team of players from a set of weaker countries is interesting, but I don't think it'd work in practice, since instead of viewers from all those countries rooting for the team, I think you'd get no viewers really identifying it as 'their' team.

b_illin
01-20-2015, 11:07 PM
Don't like it

Kyle
01-21-2015, 01:14 AM
I don't like it either.

two24four
01-23-2015, 10:20 AM
So three rookies are being moved up to the all star game in the place of some players who backed out because of injuries. Forsberg, Gaudreau and Ekblad have all been added.

Crosby backed out because of a lower body injury. He's only played in one NHL all star game, the one in 2007.

alias
01-23-2015, 08:50 PM
When was the last time 2 goalies were front runners for the Hart? Without Price & Rinne those 2 teams are questionable to even make the playoffs.

two24four
01-23-2015, 09:09 PM
This draft is funny this year. Most of them are half in the bag and they just made a trade Seguin for Kessel :lol:

wendel_
01-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Elliotte Friedman just tweeted that Mike Richards is on waivers...

toronto1979
01-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Elliotte Friedman just tweeted that Mike Richards is on waivers...
He'll clear.

Kyle
01-28-2015, 02:54 PM
I will always consider his statistics inflated, but endless respect for a top 5 goalie in NHL history who will be retiring tomorrow. Marty Brodeur redefined the position and helped shape the NHL (For better or for worse lol).

From 1996 to 2010, outside that streak by Hasek, he clearly simply dominated the goalie landscape, averaging about .92 sv%, 2.0 GAA, and 8+ shutouts for all 15 years. The guy was so consistently good you forgot to appreciate it year after year.

A four time vezina winner who easily would've been an 8-time winner if he wasn't competing with the best 8 year stretch of goalie play in league history by Hasek. Long live a once-in-a-generation talent.

Doctego
01-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Steve Mason has some decent numbers overall. It's a shame that he plays behind such a shitty team. Even with the injuries, he deserves more than 9 wins.

two24four
01-29-2015, 09:20 AM
What a game that Hawks/Kings game was last night. Would love to see them play a 7 game playoff series this year. What a game for Carter, he was playing like he was out to prove he doesn't want to join his buddy in the AHL.

alias
01-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Has the east finally become a tougher division to play in than the west? 3 western playoff teams would not be in the playoffs if they played in the east....are we seeing the start of a shift or is this just a blip on the radar?

chgorman
01-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Has the east finally become a tougher division to play in than the west? 3 western playoff teams would not be in the playoffs if they played in the east....are we seeing the start of a shift or is this just a blip on the radar?

Well, 7 of the bottom 9 teams in the league are from the East, so I don't think the East - overall - is any better. All that tells me is that the top teams in the West beat everybody, the middle teams in the West beat up on each other, and then get their wins against EDM, PHX and the teams from the East, while the teams in the East get to beat up on BUF, CAR, NJ, CBJ, PHI, OTT and TOR more often than the West teams do, which is where the mediocre East teams get their wins.

If you go to NHL.com and look up the stats for teams records vs. the East and compare teams records vs. the West, DET, TB, PIT and NYR are really the only East teams that have beat up on the West (MTL has a winning record vs. the west, but it's 10-7, so above .500, but not way above). All the rest of the teams in the East are either hovering right around .500 vs. the West, or have a losing record. The big disparity is when you look at the West teams' records vs. the East - almost every team in the West has a winning record vs. the East (even EDM!), or at worst are hovering right around .500 vs. the East, which tells me that overall, the West is still the better conference.

So take that for what it's worth. Obviously the stats don't tell the whole story, but I think they're a decent gauge in this case.

b_illin
02-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Evander Kane's trending on Twitter - trade brewing?

two24four
02-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Evander Kane's trending on Twitter - trade brewing?

He was a healthy scratch last night in his hometown of VAN. Second time this season he's been a healthy scratch.

Hamsterkill
02-05-2015, 11:04 AM
He was a healthy scratch last night in his hometown of VAN. Second time this season he's been a healthy scratch.
Apparently he committed the crime of not wearing a suit to the rink (one of the dumber traditions to persist, in my opinion). He's also apparently been playing hurt most of the season. Probably more likely he'd be traded at the draft if he's going to be traded, if that's the case.

two24four
02-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Yeah sounds like he wore a track suit to the rink and Maurice was having none of it.

Teams do have dress codes whether some players like it or not. You play any kind of high level hockey no matter what age 6 or 40 you have dress codes in hockey.

Dubz
02-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Yeah he seems like a dirt bag but id trade Clarkson for him lol. (sorry not trying to sound like billin)

two24four
02-05-2015, 11:23 AM
I love Kane's game, but yeah I'm not sure he would be a good fit in Toronto. Dreger says the Jets are taking calls on him.

Hamsterkill
02-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Yeah sounds like he wore a track suit to the rink and Maurice was having none of it.

Teams do have dress codes whether some players like it or not. You play any kind of high level hockey no matter what age 6 or 40 you have dress codes in hockey.
I'm aware of that. I just think it's a dumb tradition.

EDIT: Or rather, not dumb that there *is* a dress code, but that it's always suits.

b_illin
02-05-2015, 11:39 AM

I agree - they get paid a ton of money so I fail to see why they shouldn't dress appropriately...they are representing the team and the league after all. How many of us would have jobs if we showed up to work in track suits?

I love Kane's game, but yeah I'm not sure he would be a good fit in Toronto. Dreger says the Jets are taking calls on him.

I'd take him if the price was right - been seeing one good player could get him. Wonder who that "good player" could be on the Leafs?

b_illin
02-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm aware of that. I just think it's a dumb tradition.

EDIT: Or rather, not dumb that there *is* a dress code, but that it's always suits.

That leaves too much to interpretation...too much grey area. Suits is the simplest way to limit interpretation.

Kyle
02-05-2015, 12:06 PM
I understand it's not a logical tradition, but dude, it's just a fucking suit. I've gotten ready for Weddings in as little as 8 minutes. It's not a big deal putting on a suit when you're not actually particularly concerned with killing it. Just slide the shit on and get on with your fucking day. Use a damn clip on tie and that's half the process eliminated (I've never used one but if I was a whiny hockey player without enough free time I sure would).

Amazing thing to have a dispute with your team about. I disagree so strongly with Kane, 10x more than I disagree with the rule itself.

Hamsterkill
02-05-2015, 12:38 PM
That leaves too much to interpretation...too much grey area. Suits is the simplest way to limit interpretation.

It's entirely possible to have a clearly defined dress code that allows more flexibility than simply 'suit'. Most jobs have such dress codes. I've never worn a suit to a job (or interview for one) in my life, but every one has still had a dress code.

I understand it's not a logical tradition, but dude, it's just a fucking suit. I've gotten ready for Weddings in as little as 8 minutes. It's not a big deal putting on a suit when you're not actually particularly concerned with killing it. Just slide the shit on and get on with your fucking day. Use a damn clip on tie and that's half the process eliminated (I've never used one but if I was a whiny hockey player without enough free time I sure would).

Amazing thing to have a dispute with your team about. I disagree so strongly with Kane, 10x more than I disagree with the rule itself.
I can understand that viewpoint, but I also know it would royally piss me off to have to put on a suit every day to go somewhere that I'll pretty much immediately take it off again. Rules that make no sense are one of my biggest pet peeves. Much bigger than a cocky millionaire athlete.

Kyle
02-05-2015, 01:29 PM
It does make very little sense, no doubt there. Other jobs that demand suits do so so you can represent your company well, it benefits them, it allows the company greater growth potential to have well-dressed employees that look professional.

In the case of the NHL, It really does absolutely nothing whatsoever to make the league look more professional (Broadcasts don't film players walking into work, they start filming well after they're in their pads). So there is virtually no logic suggesting it's a good idea to make players wear suits. I just can't believe it bothered somebody so much, he outright refused

"NBC has dropped the NHL, citing an excessive amount of Hawaiian button-up shirts and numerous instances of khaki shorts as inexcusable blemishes upon the league's integrity"

I Just don't see it.

Hamsterkill
02-05-2015, 01:34 PM
It does make very little sense, no doubt there. Other jobs that demand suits do so so you can represent your company well, it benefits them, it allows the company greater growth potential to have well-dressed employees that look professional.

In the case of the NHL, It really does absolutely nothing whatsoever to make the league look more professional (Broadcasts don't film players walking into work, they start filming well after they're in their pads). So there is virtually no logic suggesting it's a good idea to make players wear suits. I just can't believe it bothered somebody so much, he outright refused

"NBC has dropped the NHL, citing an excessive amount of Hawaiian button-up shirts and numerous instances of khaki shorts as inexcusable blemishes upon the league's integrity"

I Just don't see it.
He may have been late to the rink as well and didn't have time to put the suit on, but the WPG newspaper said they benched him for the dress violation. Also, it's not like he has a the friendliest of histories with the Jets in the first place. He may just not have cared. The article that reported it speculated that he may respond by voluntarily end his season by having the surgery for the injury he's been playing with now rather than waiting for the offseason.

b_illin
02-05-2015, 02:47 PM
At the end of the day I'm thinking it was more the track suit that got him in trouble...there's no arguing that a track suit is appropriate in the workplace. (unless you are a trainer etc)

two24four
02-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Chris Johnston is reporting a lot more to this. He says Kane had a run in with Buff and some other teammates then he did not even go to the game in VAN he was benched for.

I heard a intwerview with Wheeler today as well, he did not seem happy with Kane saying we are pros we all know what to wear or something like that.

wendel_
02-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Interesting stuff. Unless I`m reading this wrong, it looks like to me that he wasn`t even a healthy scratch, he just said he wasn`t going to play. Although maybe the article meant that when they reached him an hour before the game that he said he wasn`t playing, because he was scratched. Either way, gonna be interesting to see how this unfolds
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kane-skipped-game-after-incident-with-teammates/

wendel_
02-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Chris Johnston just on the Fan just now - clarified that it was not a healthy scratch. He just didn`t show up to the game. Crazy

two24four
02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Yeah I have it on as well. He also just said Buff threw his track suit into the shower when they had a run in. Then Kane just didn't show up for the game because of his run in with teammates before.

This isn't just about a track suit.

Hamsterkill
02-06-2015, 03:44 PM
If this Myers-to-Anaheim talk I've been seeing has any truth to it, I'd have to think Gibson would be coming the other way. That would be interesting and could immediately address the relative weakness of Buffalo's goalie prospects. I'm still doubtful Myers moves, though.

two24four
02-06-2015, 04:09 PM
That would be huge for Buffalo if they landed Gibson. Some talk that the Ducks might trade Beleskey, he'd be another nice get.

Ducks also have prospects Ritchie and Theodore who I'm sure teams are at least asking about.

Leafs should be trying to trade the Ducks Franson. Ducks might not mind trading their 1st this season as it will be pretty low. As a Leafs fan I'd be more than happy with the Leafs getting it though.

b_illin
02-06-2015, 04:22 PM
That would be huge for Buffalo if they landed Gibson. Some talk that the Ducks might trade Beleskey, he'd be another nice get.

Ducks also have prospects Ritchie and Theodore who I'm sure teams are at least asking about.

Leafs should be trying to trade the Ducks Franson. Ducks might not mind trading their 1st this season as it will be pretty low. As a Leafs fan I'd be more than happy with the Leafs getting it though.

Maybe add to Franson to see if that would be enough for Ritchie. (his quiet WJHC might reduce the asking price a tad)

two24four
02-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Ritchie didn't put up big numbers at the World J's but he did play a pretty big role, more so once they put the big line together with him Crouse and Gauthier. Teams couldn't stop them once they got cycling the puck.

I don't think they will just give Ritchie away. I also don't think they would trade Ritchie and the 1st pick together.

Dreaming but it would be nice to have Ritchie to go with Nylander.

b_illin
02-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Ritchie didn't put up big numbers at the World J's but he did play a pretty big role, more so once they put the big line together with him Crouse and Gauthier. Teams couldn't stop them once they got cycling the puck.

I don't think they will just give Ritchie away. I also don't think they would trade Ritchie and the 1st pick together.

Dreaming but it would be nice to have Ritchie to go with Nylander.

I meant Ritchie instead of a 1st...but we might have to sweeten a bit for that

two24four
02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
I meant Ritchie instead of a 1st...but we might have to sweeten a bit for that

Oh for sure they would have too. They wont trade Ritchie for Franson 1 for 1.

Rocklobster
02-06-2015, 05:09 PM
I really don't see ANH dealing Gibson. He is way to valuable. Bryzgalov sucks big time and I can see him being waived really soon. I would bet $ it's going to be Andersen and Gibson as a tandem during the playoffs.

Franson on the ducks makes sense to me, I've mentioned it before and I think he would do well there. I can see them giving up a 1st or a 2nd plus Etem/DSP

Hamsterkill
02-06-2015, 05:50 PM
I really don't see ANH dealing Gibson. He is way to valuable. Bryzgalov sucks big time and I can see him being waived really soon. I would bet $ it's going to be Andersen and Gibson as a tandem during the playoffs.

I would tend to agree, but I don't see Myers moving for much less, and they do have Andersen as a really good young workhorse goalie.

Kyle
02-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Yeah I'm not sure how you wouldn't trust Anderson at this point. Anaheim are a 10th place team if not for their goalie play this year. Shocking how many games they've won despite getting outplayed.

A back up goalie really isn't as important as we want to think sometimes. Anderson can be that 65-70 game guy. Yes it sucks the rare time you do lose your goalie in the playoffs and have no good fall-back plan but I've never considered that a bad risk to take. The truth is no matter how much Bryz sucks, Gibson hasn't proved anything in the playoffs yet to call him a major upgrade when it matters. I'd trade him if I were Anaheim.

Rocklobster
02-06-2015, 07:50 PM
He has a small sample size in the post season but its pretty damn good. His first career playoff game he had a shut out and then he had another one a few games later. The kid is too good. I know a lot of ANH fans will be pissed if he's traded. Bryz is not a reliable backup(watch him get a SO tonight now) and I would rather have Gibson back up Freddie in the post season.

two24four
02-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Some people think Gibson is the best goalie not in the NHL right now.

Rocklobster
02-06-2015, 07:55 PM
I think it was smart of ANH to have Gibson in the minors playing lots of games too. It'll prepare him more come playoff time.

Kyle
02-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I can't argue with either of you guys about Gibson. I still call it a safe move. Anderson is a potential vezina winner as early as next year. And I think we can all agree the Leafs aren't a team that will be providing any goalie good stats anytime soon. Really doubt Gibson does anything within 2-3 years to make it look like a bad move if he goes to the Leafs.

Besides, we've all seen it before, how often does having 2 star goalies end up creating more of a circus show than actually doing a team favors? I think the best way to go is lean on a guy for 60-70 games, even if it means a short life-span, move on to someone else in 5-6 years. But for that stretch Anderson seems to clearly be the guy. Anderson is amazing.

The amount of quality scoring chances Anaheim gives up most games is staggering from a #1 seed. Anderson has been a rock for them.

Hamsterkill
02-06-2015, 11:20 PM
I can't argue with either of you guys about Gibson. I still call it a safe move. Anderson is a potential vezina winner as early as next year. And I think we can all agree the Leafs aren't a team that will be providing any goalie good stats anytime soon. Really doubt Gibson does anything within 2-3 years to make it look like a bad move if he goes to the Leafs.

Besides, we've all seen it before, how often does having 2 star goalies end up creating more of a circus show than actually doing a team favors? I think the best way to go is lean on a guy for 60-70 games, even if it means a short life-span, move on to someone else in 5-6 years. But for that stretch Anderson seems to clearly be the guy. Anderson is amazing.

The amount of quality scoring chances Anaheim gives up most games is staggering from a #1 seed. Anderson has been a rock for them.

To be clear, the suggestion was that he could go to Buffalo in a Myers trade... where it should also take a little time for him to post good stats.

Kyle
02-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Woops, I didn't even register the Myers trade, I thought it was a Cody Franson deal being discussed. Either way, as you said, still a safe bet to say Gibson won't do anything in Buffalo to make them regret it too badly.

(I was just about to edit my post when you posted that :D)

Hamsterkill
02-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Woops, I didn't even register the Myers trade, I thought it was a Cody Franson deal being discussed. Either way, as you said, still a safe bet to say Gibson won't do anything in Buffalo to make them regret it too badly.

(I was just about to edit my post when you posted that :D)

:lol: I'm sure the Leafs fans are thrilled you think Franson is valuable enough to get them Gibson, though.

Kyle
02-07-2015, 10:28 AM
:lol: I'm sure the Leafs fans are thrilled you think Franson is valuable enough to get them Gibson, though.

Haha, I thought I read something about Franson+a draft pick, but clearly I really skimmed through the posts here before I replied :D

Doctego
02-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Wait for Bill to chime in that they can add Bozak and a 1st for a package of Getzlaf and Gibson.

two24four
02-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Wait for Bill to chime in that they can add Bozak and a 1st for a package of Getzlaf and Gibson.

:lol:

Kyle
02-07-2015, 11:18 AM
:D Nice, Doc

b_illin
02-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Bozak AND a 1st? 3rd maybe but not a 1st dude!

Kyle
02-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Tarasenko sure has carved out a name for himself as a 1st-team all star contender. What a force he's become in this league.

That said, I do wish people would settle down a little bit, and quit treating him like Stamkos or something. I hear way more about Tarasenko than I do about comparably great guys doing comparatively impressive things like Johansen or Forsberg. I'm not sure why people are so ready to put him ahead of the other 8-10 youngsters competing at right near a PPG. I feel like it's mostly just successful marketing by St Louis. Just watched a vid about him called "On the way to the hall of fame."Yes I know it's the name of a song, still a shocking track choice to use for a guy who is still well below a career PPG. The one Blues fan I speak to regularly can't shut up about him either and is already calling him the best thing since Hull...lol

Also not at all sold on his 40+ goal pace. I never understood him to be an elite sniper. He'll be a 20-30 guy over his career I think, not the 35-45 he's on pace for now. I know his one timers have been absurd this year but those rarely translate year to year for anyone not named Ovy or Stamkos.

Regardless, I'm just not sure why he's the young star I'm hearing most about by far this year

toronto1979
02-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Regardless, I'm just not sure why he's the young star I'm hearing most about by far this year
I don't hear much about him here. But if I had to guess why you hear about him more, it's because many people have St. Louis picked to win the Cup and no one has Nashville or Columbus picked to win the Cup. Nyquist and Tatar are scoring at a decent clip too. If they were getting assists you'd be hearing about them as well.

Hamsterkill
02-09-2015, 10:25 AM
I think it's also because he's in the top-5 goal scorers this season and is currently outpointing Stamkos -- with significantly less time-on-ice than every other leader besides Nash. And he's newest face to that level of upper-echelon players.

phaneuf6
02-09-2015, 11:05 AM
IIRC, Tarasenko was always touted as a goal scorer. Great release, quick hands, great finish. I think the hype is real. Also no reason why he shouldn't be able to score like this regularly in that lineup.

two24four
02-09-2015, 11:18 AM
His shot is unreal. I don't see why he can't score 30+ a season most years.

two24four
02-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Want someone who is underrated, Nicklas Backstrom. I know he has Ovie to pass too, but he always puts up good numbers. He's played 549 career games he has 549 points. The only other player from his draft year with 500 points in Kessel with 506. But you don't hear much about Backstrom, he just gets it done every year. He`s 5th in scoring right now. He`s also +77 in his career.

Hamsterkill
02-09-2015, 01:45 PM
He's actually not under-appreciated in Washington, though. He might've had more fans here than Ovy at the beginning of this season.

Gern Blansten
02-09-2015, 11:28 PM
The death spiral continues here in Minnesota: the Wild have acquired Devan Dubnyk. :wtf:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/hole.gif

b_illin
02-10-2015, 03:06 PM
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/2/9/7983087/rogers-nhl-tv-ratings-decline-why-because-healy-suck-hughson-sucks-they-all-suck

Rogers and HNIC: We Have the Facts and We're Voting No

Leafs Notebook – February 10http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/02/10/leafs-notebook-february-10/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Kyle
02-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Anaheim being exposed for the frauds they are this week. Maybe the 10th-15th best team in the league. 5-3 loss vs TB, 5-2 loss vs Nashville, 6-2 loss vs Fla, and outplayed pretty bad in a SO win vs Washington.

two24four
02-11-2015, 09:58 AM
TSN insiders are saying things are heating up between the Jets and Sabres around an E. Kane trade.

toronto1979
02-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Anaheim being exposed for the frauds they are this week. Maybe the 10th-15th best team in the league. 5-3 loss vs TB, 5-2 loss vs Nashville, 6-2 loss vs Fla, and outplayed pretty bad in a SO win vs Washington.
Anaheim is a good team.

Bryzgalov is awful. They should start Gibson every game until Andersen is back.

Hamsterkill
02-11-2015, 11:08 AM
TSN insiders are saying things are heating up between the Jets and Sabres around an E. Kane trade.
Intriguing. Not sure who the Sabres would be giving up for him, though. They don't have a lot of 'right now' talent outside Myers, who would be overpayment, in my opinion. Perhaps Hodgson, Stafford, or Moulson, I suppose?

Anaheim is a good team.

Bryzgalov is awful. They should start Gibson every game until Andersen is back.
It's clear the do need to get better at defense before the playoffs, though.

two24four
02-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Dreger just tweeted this.

Huge deal. Hearing Myers Stafford Armia and Lemieux plus a first for Kane and Bogosian as principles of deal getting close btwn Buf + Wpg.

Hamsterkill
02-11-2015, 11:17 AM
I really hope that's not the deal. Seems like a *huge* overpayment for Kane, considering the situation.

two24four
02-11-2015, 11:22 AM
I agree that is a lot to give up. I think Murray is really wanting E. Kane to play with one of McDavid or Eichel.

Kane is a great player on the ice, if he gets his act together he could score 40 goals and be one of the best power forwards in the NHL. But bringing him into a young team would scare me if I was fan of that team.

McDavid/Kane could end up being Getzlaf/Perry if it all works out the way the Sabres hope.

two24four
02-11-2015, 11:43 AM
They are saying the deal is done. It's the deal that Dreger tweeted about plus some unsigned goalie prospect going to the Sabres.

Hamsterkill
02-11-2015, 12:07 PM
They are saying the deal is done. It's the deal that Dreger tweeted about plus some unsigned goalie prospect going to the Sabres.
Sigh, I hope this is part of a bigger plan for the Sabres or I think they'll regret it. Perhaps they have a buyer for Bogo lined up?

toronto1979
02-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Kane is a great player on the ice, if he gets his act together he could score 40 goals and be one of the best power forwards in the NHL. But bringing him into a young team would scare me if I was fan of that team.
That would be my concern too. Put him into a team when he's not a core guy (ie Detroit) and he could be dynamite.

Put a guy who tweets pictures of himself doing pushups with stacks of money on his back on to a young team, and I'd be worried about the development of McDavid (or whoever) with a "role model" like that.

two24four
02-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Yeah it's a ballsy move for the Sabres.

Not sure about Bogo, but he is from the New York area so I would think he's ok with going to Buffalo.

two24four
02-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Cheveldayoff said they really liked Lemieux at the draft, he said they tried to trade up to get him.

Hamsterkill
02-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Cheveldayoff said they really liked Lemieux at the draft, he said they tried to trade up to get him.
He's a very good prospect. Even if he doesn't fulfill top-6 potential, his floor looks be as a valuable piece in a bottom-6. He's that kind of prospect you can use almost anywhere in a forward lineup and have him work well.

two24four
02-11-2015, 01:19 PM
He's a very good prospect. Even if he doesn't fulfill top-6 potential, his floor looks be as a valuable piece in a bottom-6. He's that kind of prospect you can use almost anywhere in a forward lineup and have him work well.

Yes he is. He's just like his old man, you want him on your team but hate to play against him.

Kyle
02-11-2015, 01:49 PM
This reeks like an absurd overpayment. Now Kane not only needs to return to 30 goal/57 pt form, but he needs to actually get far better. If he's not a 40 goal player this is an almost unavoidable let-down for the Sabres. The tank is truly on now.

Myers+a 1st round + Lemieux could've gotten Buffalo far more, and they know it. But Kane won't play this year, and I think that's why they chose to settle for less. They didn't want a star to actually improve the team this year. Sad story.

two24four
02-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Bob McKenzie twitter.

BUF receives Anders Lindback and a conditional 3rd round pick for Jonas Enroth.

Buffalo getting ahead start on the the trades early. They are also making sure they have 30th spot locked up today.

chgorman
02-11-2015, 04:58 PM
For the record, the 1st rd pick in the BUF-WPG deal will be either NYI's or STL's, both of which will likely be closer to the end of the 1st rd than the start.

Still an overpayment IMO, not sure why they had to include the 1st, just thought I'd toss that out there in case anybody thought BUF was giving up their McDavid/Eichel pick.

Enroth deal is interesting. DAL giving up one of the biggest goalies in the league for the smallest.

Jake
02-11-2015, 05:09 PM
I have always thought Kane to be extremely overrated, the only thing he ever did that impressed me was knocking out Cooke.

Rocklobster
02-11-2015, 05:10 PM
That enroth trade is brutal... Lindback sucks

Rocklobster
02-11-2015, 05:13 PM
I think trading for Kane is a mistake. A cancer in the locker room etc... Can't be a good role model for Mcdavid

boredguy
02-11-2015, 05:21 PM
I'd be upset as a Sabres fan with the Kane deal. It doesn't even make that much sense as a tank deal as you're giving up good futures pieces for a guy who has both on ice and off ice questions. The Enroth deal is whatever though, weak goalie market so getting a pick is fine, having to take back Lindback is meh, probably had to take him to get the deal through.