PDA

View Full Version : Penguins (2) vs Blue Jackets (7)

Kyle
04-16-2014, 04:19 PM
No chance for the Blue Jackets here unless Playoff Fleury shows up. Pens in 6.

Kyle
04-17-2014, 01:50 AM
Wow, dare I say Flower actually carried the Pens through this 4-3 win? Their PP bailed them out. They got overall dominated by Columbus. Totally unexpected game. Columbus had quality chances start to finish and seemed to be on the verge of scoring all night long.

Snipes16
04-17-2014, 02:01 AM
I think the Jackets are legit. Played well against most of the top teams all year.

Didn't see any of this game other than SOG's which was impressive from them. Would really like to see them snag game 2 to see how nuts that place of theirs gets for game 3 and see the Pens have to work for this.

Dubz
04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
I gave columbus a game but wouldnt be shocked to see them steal one or two more if Bob can continue his excellent play. Pens in 5

Hamsterkill
04-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Not sure why the Penguins seem to not care much about possession in this series...

Kyle
04-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Penguins deserved that loss. They look awful so far.

Snipes16
04-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Bob was lights out after the first.

Doctego
04-20-2014, 05:38 AM
This is rare for me but I have no interest in watching any of this series. Maybe that'll change as the series goes on. I hope so.

Kyle
04-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Haha yeah, I said Boston and Pittsburgh both had to be praying for the Detroit matchup for the sake of anyone actually caring outside of their immediate market. Tough to get into a Columbus match up with their absence of any sort of name you want to go out of your way to watch play. They're actually a good offense but they haven't had enough time to earn that reputation yet and for now their lack of star power hurts their appeal. They'll be a top 10 offense consistently though going forward, I think. Not too long before people will be excited about a Columbus match up.

That said, Pittsburgh's impressive lack of discipline, structure, and any sort of team progression over the last 3-4 years has made up for a lot of that and created a really exciting first few games. Instead of fighting one systematic approach with another and letting their star power make the difference, the Penguins are instead opting for a total free for all. Defense pinching left and right even with a lead at Fleury's expense, with the usual disgusting net-front presence we expect from their D, characteristic embarrassing turnovers by Letang, and zero commitment to establishing zone time through the forecheck. Their lack of defense is making Columbus seem like a lethal offense. Columbus likes to play an organized game but the Pens (Namely Letang) insist on sending them off on an odd-man rush every other minute.

Seriously, year by year it never fails, this Penguins team is a defensive mockery come playoff time that always abandons things they did successfully during the season. 7 goals in 2 games to the Blue Jackets on the road and it could've been worse for sure.

Kyle
04-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Also, watching Malkin outside of the powerplay sometimes is just embarrassing. How someone that good could ever turn it off the way he does just astounds me. When he wants to, he dominates the flow of play with or without the puck. When he doesn't hes a useless giant ragdoll on skates until he gets on the powerplay. When hes on he looks like a more talented version of Marian Hossa on both sides of the ice (Which is saying something because Hoss is a top 10 two-way forward easily) but unlike Hossa who has a great game whether he scores or not, Malkin has a weird habit of just disappearing for the longest stretches. Even Crosby who isn't a very good defender at all puts in as much effort as you could possibly expect and makes himself useful enough consistently without the puck. Its not hard to notice when one of the most talented players in the world doesn't seem up for it. Malkin's too good to hide his lack of effort. Malkin's random disappearing act is an old story and I'm just wondering when this guy figures it out and stops being 90% of the player he should be and moves on that extra 10%.

two24four
04-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Have to think if the Pens can't get out of round 1 or even round 2 they will need some kind of change. Team with Crosby, Malkin etc....should be going deep in the playoffs year after year.

Doctego
04-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Haha yeah, I said Boston and Pittsburgh both had to be praying for the Detroit matchup for the sake of anyone actually caring outside of their immediate market. Tough to get into a Columbus match up with their absence of any sort of name you want to go out of your way to watch play. They're actually a good offense but they haven't had enough time to earn that reputation yet and for now their lack of star power hurts their appeal. They'll be a top 10 offense consistently though going forward, I think. Not too long before people will be excited about a Columbus match up.

That said, Pittsburgh's impressive lack of discipline, structure, and any sort of team progression over the last 3-4 years has made up for a lot of that and created a really exciting first few games. Instead of fighting one systematic approach with another and letting their star power make the difference, the Penguins are instead opting for a total free for all. Defense pinching left and right even with a lead at Fleury's expense, with the usual disgusting net-front presence we expect from their D, characteristic embarrassing turnovers by Letang, and zero commitment to establishing zone time through the forecheck. Their lack of defense is making Columbus seem like a lethal offense. Columbus likes to play an organized game but the Pens (Namely Letang) insist on sending them off on an odd-man rush every other minute.

Seriously, year by year it never fails, this Penguins team is a defensive mockery come playoff time that always abandons things they did successfully during the season. 7 goals in 2 games to the Blue Jackets on the road and it could've been worse for sure.

Columbus was actually exciting in the little time I spent watching the game but it had no juice for me. The lighting seemed dimmer than usual on the broadcast and the announcers did nothing for me. I'm sure that I'm just being picky but I was hoping for another matchup to get my blood flowing. Unfortunately, the other series that I care little about is Colorado vs. Minnesota, although I'm into that one more than this one.

Doctego
04-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Have to think if the Pens can't get out of round 1 or even round 2 they will need some kind of change. Team with Crosby, Malkin etc....should be going deep in the playoffs year after year.

Those 2 guys are the only reason that I can see them making a run. In reality, when you look at that team, they have a lot of flaws.

Kyle
04-20-2014, 10:57 AM

Absolutely. Even more dominant than the Sharks every year in the regular season with an even better core thats even more in their youthful prime. If the Sharks have been a massive disappointment, the Pens are bordering something worse. Only a few years away from those back to back runs going from something praiseworthy to "way too little in too much time with too much talent."

Penguins really did the bare minimum you could expect from a team with all those top picks who got to spend them on guys like Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Stall. Made the cup finals twice during their bubble years when they could afford way more talent than any team should in the salary cap era and haven't done anything since dumping some pieces. The Hawks made the WCF and won a cup in their bubble years and haven't been any less dominant since, winning another cup. The Pens shouldn't seem so much worse than the Hawks. The Pens got much luckier with their draft picks and really should be by far the best team in the NHL over the last 5 years, rather than one who has accomplished less in the playoffs than even the New Jersey Devils since 2010.

Kyle
04-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Those 2 guys are the only reason that I can see them making a run. In reality, when you look at that team, they have a lot of flaws.

Agreed. As ridiculous as Neal's shot is, he does little to control a game. Kunitz is as overrated as it gets (According to his stats at least) and I'd be amazed if the rest of the NHL acknowledges him as more than a 50 pt player who happens to play with Crosby. All that said, thats still the Pen's fault. Other front offices have done it way better. The Pens lack of talent isn't an excuse for their lack of talent, their lack of proper management is. And I don't exactly hear tons of buzz about upcoming Penguins prospects, either. I can't remember a time Detroit hasn't had a flat-out star coming up through some sort of minor league and I know thats not a fair standard to judge every front office, but the Pens really haven't done ANYTHING outside their high draft picks. And then you have coaching. Tons of teams lack talent. Columbus has one guy ahead of 50 points on their roster and they were all healthy all year. Yet here they are competing with that team that drafted in the top 3 5 years in a row and got the two best offensive players of our generation within two years. Because they're well coached. The very least the Pens could do is have an equally quality systematic approach to their game (That they've had 5 years under Byslma to develop) that puts them on equal terms with Columbus and then they can allow Crosby/Malkin's talent to make the difference. But the Pens don't do that. At least not in the playoffs. They don't give themselves the same base chance to win that most other NHL playoffs teams do, they play sloppy undisciplined hockey and rely on 5-4 scores. Its pathetic.

So building on 24's point, it certainly would seem to favor making some dramatic changes if the people in charge have had Crosby/Malkin to work with for 5-6 years now and STILL only have Crosby/Malkin to brag about.

Bylsma hasn't moved forward, and the Pens have the roster and cash flow to attract the best coaches in the world. Go get Barry Trotz for Christ's sake. The offense is automatic for that squad. They need a system.

I think of Bruins hockey, I think of Sharks hockey, I think of Wings hockey, I think of Blackhawks hockey, I think of Kings hockey, but what is Penguins hockey? Its just a 60 minute skills competition. They have no recognizable flow to their game whatsoever except when they're falling over themselves in front of their net before allowing a goal on a 4th or 5th rebound chance. Thats always a familiar sight in the playoffs.

WIS
04-20-2014, 02:33 PM

Word is Bylsma is on the hot seat.

Buckeye
04-20-2014, 02:46 PM
I have tickets for games 3 and 4. Nationwide Arena is going to be electric. I can't wait.
http://i61.tinypic.com/5o87qg.jpg

Kyle
04-20-2014, 03:07 PM
That's going to be a loud few games buckeye! Have fun

Buckeye
04-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks Kyle. It has been a long time coming. I was at the inaugural game in October 2000. Took more than 14 years to win one playoff game. I really like their chances in this series: the way they matchup with Pittsburgh and have outworked the Penguins. Except for a 3rd period lapse in game one, they could be heading back to Columbus up 2-0.

Rocklobster
04-20-2014, 03:38 PM
You could see the momentum change after the BJ's scored that SHG. Brutal. I really think Fleury should have had that one. He did play pretty solid for the rest of the game though.

Penguins always struggle in the first round somehow. I really think we will bounce back though and at least get a win in Columbus.

Seems like now that we are healthy there is no real chemistry with the players. When Crosby is out of action Malkin shines. When Malkin is out, Crosby is dominate. You would think when both are in the lineup they would be unstoppable but its not the case. They need to build some better chemistry fast.

Hamsterkill
04-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah it seemed like the third line with Sutter, Bennett and Stempniak was the only one that could keep a handle on the puck last night.

Gern Blansten
04-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Awesome, Buckeye! Have a great time! Should be just nutz!

Kyle
04-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks Kyle. It has been a long time coming. I was at the inaugural game in October 2000. Took more than 14 years to win one playoff game. I really like their chances in this series: the way they matchup with Pittsburgh and have outworked the Penguins. Except for a 3rd period lapse in game one, they could be heading back to Columbus up 2-0.

yeah, I counted the Jackets out early but they've clearly outplayed the Pens so far. With the Pens playing no defense and turning this into a back and forth slug fest, you know these are gonna be 2 exciting games.

Buckeye
04-23-2014, 01:38 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/5l6n1j.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/315hch1.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/287kt8i.jpg

Buckeye
04-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Blowing a 3-1 lead in game 3 hurt like hell. Game 4: we got this!

Buckeye
04-23-2014, 08:04 PM
LET'S GO JACKETS!!! This is going to be a wild third!!!

Kyle
04-23-2014, 08:40 PM
GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL COLUMBUS!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back playoff Fleury! Fans everywhere missed you. :D

I honestly don't know if I've ever been that excited about a goal scored by an NHL team not named Red Wings. 90% because of how excited I am for Columbus, 10% because how glad I am it happened on a total DISASTER choke by Fleury.

Lets hope the Blue Jackets can wrap this up in OT!!

Kyle
04-23-2014, 08:42 PM
If the Penguins lose this game and then the series, the city of Pittsburgh will spend the rest of their days asking "Why would you leave the net Fleury?" The world may never know!

Rocklobster
04-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Stay in your fucking net!

man another blown lead in this series. Unreal

Rocklobster
04-23-2014, 08:44 PM
I dunno how many times I've seen him leave his net and then we get scored on. You can count on fleury to give up 1 flukey goal a game... It's ridiculous.

two24four
04-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Yet another 3-1 lead blown in this series. Unreal.

Kyle
04-23-2014, 08:51 PM
I wish we could've seen Buckeye's live reaction to that goal.

Also, WTF was Fleury doing dropping down and doing the splits behind his own net to defend against the bank shot? Just get your sloppy ass back in net dude! Slight chance he might've made the save of the year if he didn't waste a second defending an incredibly low % bank shot.

I think thats because of that goal last year that went against him. Was it the Islanders who banked it off him and embarrassed him that night? Got in his head and impacted his better judgment because I have never in my entire life seen a goalie sprawl behind his net like he was making a routine pad save, while still leaving the actual net wide open and unguarded. Never stop moving towards your exposed net...

Doctego
04-23-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm sure that he'll post pics.

Kyle
04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
YES!!!! :D

Another absolutely horrendous, disgusting, inexcusable, insert whatever overly dramatic adjective you can think of because its NOT dramatic enough goal by Fleury. Wow. You just HAVE to fucking stop that. No screen, no nothing, just a weak flubber from the blue line. Not between anyones legs, puck wasn't on edge, didn't shoot a laser, wasn't a knuckle ball or anything, it was just an incredibly weak shot that floated harmlessly towards his glove and he just fucked it up. Goodbye Marc Andre Fleury, another playoff season you simply just fucked up :D

Good luck Voukon

Rocklobster
04-23-2014, 09:03 PM
It was a 3-0 lead this time. Even worse

two24four
04-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Wow just wow.

Kyle
04-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I just can't believe a goalie in today's NHL lets in that goal when it doesn't deflect off anything and he had a clear view on it throughout its entire path. Fleury needed to go when he almost let in that weak shot a few minutes into OT and had to look behind him to make sure it didn't slip in. I know its unorthodox but I remember as soon as that happened thinking Fleury needs to go.

Pens have to give Vokoun a shot again.

phaneuf6
04-23-2014, 09:51 PM
I mean, it was a knuckle puck to be fair.

Kyle
04-23-2014, 10:07 PM
I watched the replay a lot, and I did not see any sort of knuckle puck and no sort of change in trajectory throughout the shot. I slow-mo'd it on the DVR and it was a clean wrist shot with enough velocity to stay on a straight line but not nearly enough to call it a laser. Similar to the shot Datsyuk scored on Rask except Datsyuk's was a bit harder. Rask even said thats a routine easy save if he could've seen the puck or the shot itself before it was already passed the defender's legs. Those shots don't scare goalies when they can see it cleanly. Fleury was able to see him get into his shooting motion, saw the puck leave his stick, and saw it the whole way into the net. Inexcusable from a shot that weak that far away. I don't even think that shot is attempted if he doesn't recognize how shaky Fleury had been since the goal at the end of the third, because it was just an awfully low chance to score or even produce a rebound.

Given the situation thats by far the weakest goal of the playoffs and much worse than his mistake at the end of the third. It was an extremely easy save with no sort of bad luck or bad bounce on the play, just a crippling mental error.

Snipes16
04-24-2014, 01:37 AM
I dont know, that giveaway at the end of the 3rd by Fleury with 25 ticks left takes the cake for me.

There was no need for any Foligno whiff without that initial boneheaded decision by him.

Kyle
04-24-2014, 01:58 AM
Double

Kyle
04-24-2014, 02:00 AM
I dont know, that giveaway at the end of the 3rd by Fleury with 25 ticks left takes the cake for me.

There was no need for any Foligno whiff without that initial boneheaded decision by him.

Pretty sad that we can argue about which one of Fleury's 2 goals allowed in 15 minutes is the worst goal allowed of the playoffs so far. That makes both of the worst goals in the span of a period where more competent play by him could've essentially sealed the Penguins entry into round 3.

I talked so much shit about Fleury this year, I thought he just had to make me look stupid and string together an amazing run again for the first time in five years. Pretty shocking to see nothing change since last year. Making fun of Fleury is almost a comedic past time at this point but I really did not expect him to have moments like this at all this year. Whether he was good or not I didn't expect Tony Romo-like moments of embarrassing self-mockery in the biggest possible moments of a game.

Buckeye
04-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Unbelievable game last night! Hope for a win in Pittsburgh Saturday night, and I will be in attendance when they close out the series Monday night.

No pictures from last night, was too busy cheering and just generally freaking out. Sorry Doc, I know how disappointed you must be.

Doctego
04-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Sorry Doc, I know how disappointed you must be.

I am. If memory serves, you're the resident Blue Jackets fan here so this must be a great time for you. Enjoy!

Kyle
04-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Pens sticking with Fleury after two miserable starts and 7 goals allowed on 66 shots. The worst of which occurred with with seconds left at the end of a game with a lead, and in overtime of that same game. If there was ever an obvious "Pull Hasek, put in Osgood" situation, this is it. Its still 2-2, not too late to start a run but certainly too late for Flower (Broken record... every year it never fails with this guy!)

two24four
04-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Boone Jenner was a steal for the Jackets in the 2nd round. He's exactly the type of player teams need to win. Two way forward who will do whatever is asked. Coaches dream.

Kyle
04-27-2014, 12:22 AM
Jackets got owned tonight. Didn't test Fleury at all and just got schooled by the Pens skill and speed all night

Gern Blansten
04-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Would appear Malkin came ready to crush this evening.

Kyle
04-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Who here was surprised the Penguins and Fleury let Columbus back into a 0-4 game after two and even gave them 5 minutes to tie?

I'll save you guys the trouble. Nobody. Good luck Penguins, and by good luck I mean :lol: :lol: :lol: @ the possibility of even competing with Boston (If they make it one round further). Whatever happens vs the bullshit team that limps out of this Flyers/Rangers series, the Penguins are going to get reemed sideways in the ECF by Boston. They're simply playing 100% as stupidly and poorly as the past 3 years. All the offense in the world but somehow matching every offensive high with a defensive low. Ugly series, no better looking than the Islanders last year. Penguins consistently struggle when they should dominate.

Buckeye
04-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Great game. Great series. Great season Blue Jackets. Very proud of this team. The future is bright!
http://s23.postimg.org/tsmftwi2z/Final_Night_2014.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Kyle
04-29-2014, 03:29 AM
Great year Buckeye. Columbus has arrived and established itself as a team the top guys need to be weary of playing against. With a roster not 1/3 as stacked as Penguins, they played an equally good series. Only a couple of developing prospects or a good draft pick or 2 away from making a real run.