PDA

View Full Version : Lightning(2) vs. Canadiens(3)

alias
04-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Bummed that a shootout win determines home ice but whatever. If Bishop plays this series goes to 6 or 7, if not I say Montreal wraps it up in 5. Gorges healthy and playing with Subban is huge, he plays so much better with Gorges than with Bouillion. If the defense can stay healthy and we keep the slow-footed Murray in the pressbox for this series MTL should do well.

(not sure how to apply the numbers with the new seeding...i guess its technically 3 vs. 4)

Dubz
04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Habs in 6. Like Tampa but just not enough experience yet. Oh and that Price guy is pretty good.

alias
04-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Habs definitely outplayed the inexperienced Lightning, but Price needs to play better than that if we have a hope of doing anything these playoffs

Kyle
04-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Price was pathetic man. The Habs should've won 4-1. Price blew it. He made Stamkos look way too good on that shot. Sick shot with some velocity but that's inexcusable for a goalie in today's NHL.

alias
04-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Tampa's started out better today, but the Price from OT in Game 1 seems to be back today....

alias
04-18-2014, 07:13 PM
a beaut of a slap-pass by subban to finally get a PP goal!

alias
04-18-2014, 08:41 PM
thats what you wanna see in the playoffs! tight defensive game, Stamkos kept under wraps, Price played very well, no glaring, costly errors by anyone really (Emelin got beat a few times on his off side but it didnt cost him) and the secondary scoring steps up and pots a few goals! Back to Montreal with a 2-0 lead!

Kyle
04-18-2014, 09:08 PM
The lightning are in above their heads. They aren't competing. When I said Montreal wasn't as deep on the forward front I didn't even consider the addition of Vanek. Then factor in the fact that they lost Palat and Callahan is no longer looking like the miracle replacement for St Louis that he seemed like...Oh and lets lose Bishop for the first round too...No chance at all.This team would've struggled at 100% health. As is they have no chance whatsoever, their forwards defense and goalie are completely outclassed by their counterpart and its shown through most of both games.

alias
04-22-2014, 09:06 PM
SWEEP!!!! apart from the 3rd period here thats the best 4 consecutive games I've seen the Habs play in a very long time. Price wasn't outstanding but he was good when he needed to be. However, the team defense was outstanding, everybody bought into Therrien's system. Markov & Emelin are playing great. Subban looks so much better playing beside Gorges, he has so much more confidence and he is so talented. If this makes any sense its like his physical talent is ahead of his brain, once his brain catches up he's going to be truly elite. Not many have a better outlet pass than him. 5 assists in the series and I think 3 of them were from passes behind his own blueline and he makes a lot of smart little plays that go unnoticed. Weaver steady as ever was a fantastic pickup by Bergevin. But the biggest thing is the offense. 5 on 5 has been an issue for so long and it's so good to see them break out. The 2 most maligned forwards all season Eller & Bourque combining for 5 goals and 3 assists, Gallagher stepping it up and scoring over a point per game and we needed nothing more than for that top line to break out of its funk and have Pacioretty score his first playoff goal of his career to win the series! And finally Plekanec, flies under the radar but his defensive game is so good and to pot some playoff points is huge. Nice to finally be able to sit back and relax while a couple other teams beat each other up....hoping Detroit can push it to 6 or 7

b_illin
04-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Wow!

Snipes16
04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
* asterisk - congrats on the sweep but it was Stamkos and a bag of shit after him.

I get the sense that Hab nation is super high on this team even before that Tampa series. Not saying they shouldn't be but there's a much bigger fish waiting in the next round whether that be the B's or Wings.

Get some rest, diving class activities resume tomorrow, gotta stay sharp with that.

Kyle
04-23-2014, 02:41 PM
The Habs and Lightning were both my two clear worst playoff teams in the East next to the Rangers all behind Columbus and Detroit. It was a good series by the Habs but I agree they're due for a major crash back down to Earth against whoever they have to deal with next round

two24four
04-23-2014, 02:52 PM
I also agree. I didn't want to say anything because I figured I would get the "your just a Leafs fan being a Habs hater" BS.

Also if this was the Leafs I would want the rest of the first round to wrap up fast. If any of the series go to 7 they could be sitting around 10-11 days before they play next. Waaaay to long IMO.

Kyle
04-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Yeah, the Habs aren't hurt and don't need that kind of time off. I like a consistent, sustained run. I was a tiny bit annoyed with how easy the Leafs and other teams made the playoff race this year. It created more than 10 days between the Wing's last meaningful game and game 1 vs Boston. Last year the Wings started their playoff run with 4 games left of the season and never had more than 1 day off of playoff hockey atmosphere. The 14 games vs Anaheim and Chicago felt like part of one long streak of playoff hockey that began with 4 games left in the season and they seemed to be the same team throughout it all. When you're a bit of an underdog team (The Habs are seeded high but definitely an underdog to make the finals) you don't want the rest, you just want to make one consistent run at it. Boston or Chicago can take 3 months off and be the same team but squads like Detroit, Columbus, Montreal would much prefer to be able to just keep the pedals turning when they're finally playing to their potential and stringing together a lot of successful games.

That said, a sweep is nothing to be disappointed about, but I'd certainly be hoping for the rest of round 1 to wrap up ASAP. If Montreal fans think it would be a good thing to face Boston or Detroit after the enormous confident boost they would get from a game 7 win against the other, they're simply insane. You want Boston to beat Detroit in 5 games easily and stroll into Montreal thinking they own the NHL. You want a Boston team that hasn't dealt with adversity, not a battle-tested squad that just survived a 7 game war against the best organization in hockey that all other teams measure themselves against. If Boston has to beat Detroit in 7 games they'll have received the same major wake up call that Chicago received last year, and that team playing to their potential is more than Montreal could ever dream of handling. If Boston wins easily at least you have the chance of them arrogantly underestimating the Habs and giving away a game or two. And you need that to happen because the few times you do beat Boston tend to happen as difficult as Detroit's game 1 win this year. Its hard to do that 4 times.

alias
04-23-2014, 04:51 PM
its all good guys....hottest team going into the playoffs, one of the hottest goalies (if not the hottest) in the league going into the playoffs, hottest line in the league going into the playoffs, the team's best shutdown defenseman getting healthy just in time, 100 point season....and we're underdogs....i have no problem with that :) only thing not going this team's way the last month before the playoffs was the PP. I think this team more than any other year is more prepared to face the Bruins. Take Bouillion out and insert Murray to adapt to the slower, tougher Bruins. The Bruins biggest weakness is speed, thats why Toronto nearly eliminated them last year and that's why Montreal has had their number this year. Where the B's got us was in the past getting under our skin and making us take bad penalties. The games this year the opposite was true. They couldnt get under our skin and it bothered them so I say bring 'em on! It won't be easy but it also won't be a 4-0 Bruins sweep like it seems everyone here thinks will happen.

Kyle
04-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Every team not named Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, St Louis, Colorado, San Jose, or Anaheim are not just underdogs this season, but among the least statistically likely cup contenders in many many years because of how stacked the top is. Have fun finding the last season where 5 teams scored higher than 111 points and 2 others scored above 107. Any team below that pt range is a major underdog this year and Montreal might be the highest scoring East team left outside the top 2 but not many consider them the third best team in the East. Among the teams in competition for third place, yes, but they aren't clearly there behind Boston and Pittsburgh yet. This was a very unbalanced hockey season with many elite teams, Montreal would've had a good chance any other year but I simply see little hope against Boston or a Detroit team that miraculously manages to play well enough to beat Boston in 3 of the next 5 games. Not because they don't compare, but because they will be coming off 10 days rest after a joke of a series against the Tampa Bay Lightning 0.5 and playing against a team thats spent the last week playing actual playoff hockey.

Its real simple, you either place Montreal with those 7 teams I mentioned or call them major underdogs this year. If you really think the former makes any sense, God bless your homer soul!

Doctego
04-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Are you referring to Carey Price as the hottest goalie or one of the hottest goalies going into the playoffs? I might have amnesia but my fantasy team begs to differ. I remember him being worse since he came back from injury.

I took a quick look at his games since he came back. It looks like he gave up 25 goals in 11 games with an 8-3 record.

Kyle
04-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Are you referring to Carey Price as the hottest goalie or one of the hottest goalies going into the playoffs? I might have amnesia but my fantasy team begs to differ. I remember him being worse since he came back from injury.

I took a quick look at his games since he came back. It looks like he gave up 25 goals in 11 games with an 8-3 record.

Yeah I would have to imagine at least 10 goalies had a comparable/better stretch of games over that span. Not sure what the point of mentioning that was. 8-3 is nice but when 5 of those wins come during a 6 game stretch where Price allowed 17 goals (16 at even strength), it certainly at least makes you sound silly for calling him "THE hottest goalie in the NHL." You would've had arguments with calling him just one of the hottest, but you had to go the extra mile with "if not THE hottest." Come back down to Earth man, the weather's great.

two24four
04-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Tampa Bay also used 12 players in these playoffs who had never played in the NHL playoffs before game 1. Boston or Detroit will be a new animal all together for more reasons then one.

Doctego
04-23-2014, 05:57 PM
By no means do I want to shit on Montreal in the least. On paper, there are "better" teams but the games aren't played on paper. Montreal is certainly capable of moving on against anyone. My comments were solely about Price. In my mind, he was great before the injury (after an average start) but he wasn't as good after coming back from his injury.

alias
04-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Price's last 15 games of the season:

11-4 2.01GAA .941sv% 3 shutouts

Find me 3 better goalies over their last 15 games. Go ahead.

alias
04-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Knowing you guys 15 games might be too much....

10 games:
7-3 2.11GAA .937sv% 2 shutouts

5 games:
3-2 1.61GAA .955GAA 1 shutout

Kyle
04-23-2014, 10:01 PM
You said to end the season man, so lets take the 11 games he played in the final month of the season and not include some crap from early February just because it spikes up your averages to rationalize your point. ;)

In those 11 games that you referred to (thats what "Price was the hottest goalie to end the season" means) he was good but not great. Simple as that. In the last 5 games yes he was great but no better than Lundy. Cory Schneider was better over 7 games. Varlamov was right there over 10 games. I just don't think theres any grounds to call Price's finish the hottest in the league. It just implies something Steen's scoring streak to start the year or Nyquist's towards the end. Price never caught fire over a consistent stretch of games compared to the pace of other goalies around him. He simply had an ordinarily good stretch of 15 or so games that you expect once or twice a year from any star goalie.

So he was like 2.20 and .935 to end the season, fantastic numbers. One of the hotter goalies is fair, I think "the hottest" is a big stretch, but I'll stop splitting hairs. :D

alias
04-23-2014, 10:16 PM
11 games? Jesus, if I chose an uneven amount of games to prove a point I'd be crucified here! So you're gonna add in his first game back from injury to skew his numbers....thats a joke right? I gave you his last 5, 10 and 15 game samples and they arent good enough for you? Gimme a break man. Why didn't you choose 9 games? That would have made his stats look too good I guess eh? 10 games is a perfectly good stretch of games to demonstrate a consistent performance. And if you're using 11 games for Price you have to use 11 games for Lundy and Schneider too, don't pick and choose, otherwise I could say over the last 1 game Price was the best goalie in the league with a 41 save shutout. :rolleyes:

Kyle
04-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Dude, can you get a grip? You realize your last 10 games is virtually no different from the last 11 anyway? Its simply being more honest and accurate. 2.11 and .937 over 10 games is not that crazy. Some goalies have averaged numbers like that over entire seasons recently. Fine, we'll let your conveniently chosen 10 game sample size stand. Guess what? Nothing changes.

Stop sounding like such a victim, no ones trying to crucify anybody!

Dubz
04-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Get some rest, diving class activities resume tomorrow, gotta stay sharp with that.

:D

alias
04-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Dude, can you get a grip? You realize your last 10 games is virtually no different from the last 11 anyway? Its simply being more honest and accurate. 2.11 and .937 over 10 games is not that crazy. Some goalies have averaged numbers like that over entire seasons recently. Fine, we'll let your conveniently chosen 10 game sample size stand. Guess what? Nothing changes.

Stop sounding like such a victim, no ones trying to crucify anybody!

what the hell are you going on about? what does some random goalies entire season have to do with anything? I'm talking about the end of this season, if you want to define it as 5, 7, 10, 11, or 15 games whatever, but however you define it needs to be the same for everyone. I gave 3 sample sizes but it doesnt matter which one I choose I'm just a homer trying to contort the stats by choosing a random number like 10 :rolleyes: Did I say he was the undisputed best goalie in the league to end the season? no. anybody with any sort of comprehension skills understand that when someone says "one of the hottest goalies (if not the hottest)" means that if he's not in the top 3-5, he is definitely not outside of that top 3-5 therefore he is THE top goalie. You could also define it by saying that if you (the reader) dont think he's the top goalie then he is undoubtedly in the top 3-5. its for the reader to decide. I made no grandiose proclamations. "Nothing changes" No shit, but again what does this have to do with anything? You want to say I'm wrong about Price? Show me and use the same standard for everyone.

Sounds like an odd number to use but you seem to want to use 11 games as the standard:
Schneider
4-3-3 (one no decision) 2.13GAA .914sv% 0 shutouts
Varlamov
8-2-1 2.23GAA .934sv% 1 shutout
Lundqvist
8-2-1 1.89GAA .935sv% 1 shutout
Price
7-3-1 2.28GAA .932sv% 2 shutuots

So Lundy was the best of the bunch based on his GAA and Price is right there with Varly & he's ahead of Schneids on 3/4 stats. So I ask, what was it that I said that was so outlandish?

Kyle
04-24-2014, 02:59 PM
"If not THE best" ;) It just implies he stood out. The point is, thats an extremely generous description for a stretch of 10 games that others have managed over 50-60 game seasons. Thats what other seasons have to do with it. You call a goalie the hottest in the NHL when hes 1.5 with .95% over 10 games at 8-2 at worst, AKA when they're ahead of any reasonably great season's pace. Like Steen on his goal streak. 10 game stretches that good literally happen constantly throughout a season and Price himself has probably had one or two better 10 game sample sizes this year. The point is, no one was the hottest goalie in the NHL to end the season and if you had to crown someone its clearly Lundy. Onto round 2 with you! ;)