PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Off Season Thread

Gambit
07-04-2013, 01:05 PM
From TSN's Darren Dreger on Twitter just now:

Huge trade in the works. Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. Other parts involved as well.

two24four
07-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Just saw this as well.

Seems Seguin wore out his welcome in Boston.

WIS
07-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Was about to post this as well...how do you guys think he does there?

Gambit
07-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm really interested to see what these "other parts" involved will be. I think if Seguin goes to Dallas he'll be highly motivated...if he wasn't already, after the disappointing season he had. I imagine the new top line in Boston is Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson

phaneuf6
07-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Seguin, Peverley, Button for Eriksson, Smith, Morrow, Fraser.

Nice trade for both sides.

two24four
07-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Seguin and Benn will look good together.

Thought the B's might try to get Dallas prospect Ritchie in the deal.

two24four
07-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Any chance we could turn this thread into the 2013 off-season thread?

Habs just signed Daniel Briere to a two year deal.

Snipes16
07-04-2013, 04:32 PM
This trade opens up cap space for a Clarkson signing to play on the Bergeron line.

I'd be surprised if they didn't land him at this point tomorrow...we'll see but he fits the mold.

phaneuf6
07-04-2013, 04:46 PM
This trade opens up cap space for a Clarkson signing to play on the Bergeron line.

I'd be surprised if they didn't land him at this point tomorrow...we'll see but he fits the mold.

I don't think so... Rask needs a contract and he will likely get $6mill +... with Bergeron needing a new contract after this season at more than the $5mill he is making, I don't see PC making a move for Clarkson that might jeopardize his flexibility as soon as next season.

b_illin
07-04-2013, 05:22 PM
I've heard seguin's a punk. Anybody hear that as well?

Dubz
07-04-2013, 10:54 PM

I think the coach in Dallas will change that.

Hamsterkill
07-04-2013, 11:02 PM
I think the coach in Dallas will change that.

I don't know that Ruff is any better at behavior modification than Julien.

Snipes16
07-05-2013, 01:36 AM

Phaneuf was claiming that last year...I'll even start a rumor that it was him that emailed Chiarelli about it.

Hearing Rask is getting 8 for 56 probably today. Also hearing Clarkson's price is around 7 for 42...fuck that.

Hello Vinny Prospal

Dubz
07-05-2013, 01:41 AM
I don't know that Ruff is any better at behavior modification than Julien.
Julien is a class act when it comes to behavior?

Kyle
07-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Seriously. Julien is a piece of shit. Ruff is not.

Seguin has to be a punk. Boston wouldn't consider that trade in a million years unless they blatantly wanted to get rid of seguin.

chgorman
07-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Looks like Alffy to DET. Sounds like it's pretty much done, just has to be announced. I like it.

Wouldn't mind seeing them get Grabo to pair with Dats, if they can get him at a reasonable price. I'd like to see Weiss in a Wings uni too but sounds like he's asking too much for too long of a term.

two24four
07-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I love that Alfie is leaving OTT the way he is, haha. No one saw this coming.

toronto1979
07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Alfie going to Detroit reminds me of Sundin going to Vancouver. Both the player and the team will regret it.

Doctego
07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Alfie going to Detroit reminds me of Sundin going to Vancouver. Both the player and the team will regret it.

I can see that.

chgorman
07-05-2013, 11:21 AM

OTT will regret it, or DET will?

toronto1979
07-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Detroit.

He's going to Detroit because they're putting a dumptruck full of money on his driveway and he's 40 years old.
But he will only put up numbers that you'd expect from a 40 year old hockey player, not points worthy of 6 million dollars.

Grabo I would like to see in a Red Wings uniform only for the interviews he'll give on this year's HBO 24/7 about Randy Carlyle, lol.

chgorman
07-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Disagree. And his contract is $3.5 + 2 in bonuses, not 6. He brings great leadership, plays all situations, he'll be a great fit. He's not the Alffy of 10 yrs ago but they're also not paying him like that. It's only a 1 yr deal so if it doesn't work out they can ship him out at the deadline or wipe their hands clean after the season. I don't see a downside to this deal. He'll bring more to the table than Filppula will, and Filp wants 5+ on a long term deal.

I assumed you meant Ottawa would regret it, since it leaves a MASSIVE leadership void on their roster.

two24four
07-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Wow Horton 7 years in CLB.

Dubz
07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Horton signs huge 7 yr. deal with Blue Jackets

Ribs goes to PHO for 4 @ 5.5 looks like.

two24four
07-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Ryane Clowe 5 years with NJ.

Hamsterkill
07-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Seriously. Julien is a piece of shit. Ruff is not.

What makes you guys think that? As you said I don't see why Boston would have traded Seguin if Julien didn't mind him being a punk.

WIS
07-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Maybe he should join Carter and Richards in LA :lol: http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2013/07/b_s_trade_problem_child

alias
07-05-2013, 01:18 PM
some big contracts being thrown around....alfy getting too much IMO....clowe getting almost 5mil/yr? and Bozak for $4.2mil? is he more than a 50-60 point center? i guess thats the going price these days....not sure what I think of the Clarkson signing other than 7 years is a long time....Briere might be slightly overpaid but 2 years isn't bad....

WIS
07-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Weiss to Detroit, 5 years @24.5 for 4.9 cap hit.

two24four
07-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Weiss 5 years $24.5M with DET.

He just said on SN it was between DET and STL for him. Said he heard nothing from the Leafs.

alias
07-05-2013, 01:24 PM
I dont remember Detroit being a team that usually makes a splash at FA time....2 fairly big signings today

chgorman
07-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I like both signings for DET. Weiss will excel in DET with some talent around him. I would've preferred Alffy closer to 4 or 4.5 all in, but he brings a lot to the table and will love playing in DET, should put up better numbers than he has recently with OTT, so I don't mind his contract. And as I said earlier, it's only for 1 yr, so if it doesn't work out, no big deal, they're not tied down with a multi year deal, could even possibly move him at the deadline.

Alias - DET hasn't had much cap room for the past 5 yrs or so, so they haven't been able to make a big splash. They were in the mix for both Suter and Parise last season but lost out to MIN obviously, but that would have been a pretty big splash if they had've snagged either/both of those guys. Prior to the cap, they were perennially one of the biggest FA spenders.

WIS
07-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Weiss 5 years $24.5M with DET.

He just said on SN it was between DET and STL for him. Said he heard nothing from the Leafs.
:wtf: he's gonna have some extra motivation for the Winter Classic.

I dont remember Detroit being a team that usually makes a splash at FA time....2 fairly big signings today
LeBrun was saying it's like the Wings for old. Been a while since they've done anything like this.

Doctego
07-05-2013, 01:59 PM

I don't see the problem.

toronto1979
07-05-2013, 02:15 PM
And as I said earlier, it's only for 1 yr, so if it doesn't work out, no big deal, they're not tied down with a multi year deal
I don't mind pissing $5.5 million down the toilet either.

I guess Weiss should be motivated to beat the other 20+ teams who didn't call him as well?

Dubz
07-05-2013, 02:18 PM

I guess Weiss should be motivated to beat the other 20+ teams who didn't call him as well?

:lol:

TB bites on the Wings mistake imo

WIS
07-05-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't see the problem.

No problem. It's just that he expressed interest before in Toronto and said he wanted to play there for a while.

toronto1979
07-05-2013, 02:30 PM
No problem. It's just that he expressed interest before in Toronto and said he wanted to play there for a while.
Me too. I wonder how far down I am on Dave Nonis's list?

two24four
07-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow, Sens just traded for Bobby Ryan.

Silverberg, Noesen and a 1st round pick going to ANA.

chgorman
07-05-2013, 02:32 PM

How is it 'pissing it down the toilet'? It's not like they're not getting anything of value for that 5.5 million. It's not like they're paying the guy $20 million dollars to stay away with a buyout (coughGRABOcough). They may not get full value out of it, but it's not like they're paying him to sit on the bench or stay home. Worst case, he underperforms and they 'piss away' a mill, which is a fraction of a drop in the bucket for the Illitches. Don't forget, the base salary is only 3.5, so if he seriously underperforms, he doesn't get the full $5.5, plus, if he achieves any of the bonus money, it goes towards the following season's cap, so it doesn't even count for the coming season.

I sense that maybe you're a Leafs fan whose hatred for Alffy/OTT might be clouding your judgement, but I could be wrong. By the same token, I could very well be over inflating Alffy's value as I've always liked the guy and am obviously a Wings fan, so by no means are my comments gospel.

Dubz
07-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Wow this team is going in the right direction!!! The Ducks get paid well imo

Dubz
07-05-2013, 02:38 PM
How is it 'pissing it down the toilet'? It's not like they're not getting anything of value for that 5.5 million. It's not like they're paying the guy $20 million dollars to stay away with a buyout (coughGRABOcough). They may not get full value out of it, but it's not like they're paying him to sit on the bench or stay home. Worst case, he underperforms and they 'piss away' a mill, which is a fraction of a drop in the bucket for the Illitches. Don't forget, the base salary is only 3.5, so if he seriously underperforms, he doesn't get the full $5.5, plus, if he achieves any of the bonus money, it goes towards the following season's cap, so it doesn't even count for the coming season.

I sense that maybe you're a Leafs fan whose hatred for Alffy/OTT might be clouding your judgement, but I could be wrong. By the same token, I could very well be over inflating Alffy's value as I've always liked the guy and am obviously a Wings fan, so by no means are my comments gospel.

They could have kept Flip instead of signing Alfy (hes ok player but is he gonna help this team that before the season was easily agreed upon to be undergoing a rebuild through youth)

Rocklobster
07-05-2013, 02:39 PM

woah crazy.

Doctego
07-05-2013, 02:40 PM
At least we don't have to hear all of the rumors any longer.

toronto1979
07-05-2013, 02:40 PM
From what I've read the bonuses are easily attainable. The good news is that money won't hit the Wings cap this year, so it can be deferred to next year.

As for pissing about $20 million with a buyout, the sucks, but at least it's not money off the cap. All $5.5 of Alfie's money will count toward the Wings cap.

The Wings need to get younger and grittier, not older and more Swedish.

He'll get about 35-40 points and have about as much impact on the Wings as Sundin had on the Canucks.

chgorman
07-05-2013, 03:09 PM
They could have kept Flip instead of signing Alfy (hes ok player but is he gonna help this team that before the season was easily agreed upon to be undergoing a rebuild through youth)

They've still got lots of youth coming up through the system, and Alffy is not replacing Filp, Weiss is. Alffy is replacing Cleary (assuming Cleary goes elsewhere, which seems very likely at this point) or is just a nice addition if they can manage to keep Cleary. Plus, Filp is getting WAY overpaid in his new deal based on 1 good season two seasons ago, while last season he was invisible. Weiss is a career 0.6 ppg player on a terrible team making less in his new contract than Filp is with Filp being a 0.52 ppg player on what has been - for the most part - a pretty good team over the past few decades. Mark my words, Stevie Y is going to regret giving Filp that much money. Wouldn't call it a Wings mistake at all. I can't argue with Kenny H's track record.

alias
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
I can't argue with Kenny H's track record.

Hate to start a whole new conversation here but I'm wondering exactly what Kenny H has done in the last 9 years? The last time he drafted a proven top 6 NHL forward, top 4 d-man, or starting goaltender was 2004 (Franzen). There's a few guys like Nyquist, Frk & Tatar which are still unknowns yet, but no standouts that you would expect. The best player they've traded for in that time is Todd Bertuzzi. Their best FA acquisition is Weiss I guess....can't find much info there tbh. They did some magnificent drafting prior to 2004 picking up guys like Howard, Frazen, Datsyuk, Zetts, Lidstrom, Kronwall, Samuelsson, but I'm now wondering if that was the work of a great European scout (with the exception of Howard) that perhaps they no longer have employed.

alias
07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Parros to Habs.....I like it! Takes some pressure off Prust for sure....

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-05-2013, 04:58 PM
welcome home Scuderi :)

4 years @ $3.375 million.

All this guy does is win & he is the shut down dman the Pens have been missing ever since Scuds/Gil teamed up together.

Been wishing & speculating this happening for a LONG time now... kind of can't believe it really did.

Now I am hearing early tweets that Craig Adams has resigned 2 years at 700k. Hope it's true.

I am a happy Pens fan right now.

Can we somehow fit Cooke into our plans now? It's gonna be tough but I would love to see Cookie resigned. His skills on the PK alone are enough to warrant him as a valuable piece of our puzzle.

WIS
07-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Me too. I wonder how far down I am on Dave Nonis's list?

But nobody cares about you.

WIS
07-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Setoguchi to Minnesota for 2nd round draft pick

WIS
07-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Iginla to Boston and Cooke to Minnesota.

WIS
07-05-2013, 06:42 PM
$7.5 million for 3 years for Cooke.

WIS
07-05-2013, 06:46 PM
$6 million for 1 year and it's performance-based.

alias
07-05-2013, 06:50 PM
$6 million for 1 year and it's performance-based.

who Iggy?

chgorman
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Hate to start a whole new conversation here but I'm wondering exactly what Kenny H has done in the last 9 years? The last time he drafted a proven top 6 NHL forward, top 4 d-man, or starting goaltender was 2004 (Franzen). There's a few guys like Nyquist, Frk & Tatar which are still unknowns yet, but no standouts that you would expect. The best player they've traded for in that time is Todd Bertuzzi. Their best FA acquisition is Weiss I guess....can't find much info there tbh. They did some magnificent drafting prior to 2004 picking up guys like Howard, Frazen, Datsyuk, Zetts, Lidstrom, Kronwall, Samuelsson, but I'm now wondering if that was the work of a great European scout (with the exception of Howard) that perhaps they no longer have employed.

Are you seriously asking me to spell it out for you?

WIS
07-05-2013, 07:07 PM
who Iggy?

Yes, sorry. Pierre LeBrun:
Iggy deal: $1.8 M base salary, $3.7 M games played bonus, $500,000 goal scoring/team playoff performance: total $6 M

b_illin
07-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Alfie's not worth $5.5 but I like that signing for DET..watch him click with zets and have a good yr. Chgor, why do you always make shit so personal though. I realize I've been guilty of it myself, but dude questions the money alfie got and all of a sudden it's all about te leafs and grabs. Seems extreme

WIS
07-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Khabibulin back with the Hawks for 1 year @ $2 million.

Gern Blansten
07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Setoguchi to Minnesota for 2nd round draft pick

Wild sent him to Winnipeg.

Taking him, Cullen and PMB off the books certianly gave the Wild some room under the cap. Now, if they could only get rid of Heatley....

They will be a young team next year!

Super comical to see many of the locals turn different shades of red and green with the Matt Cooke signing.

alias
07-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Are you seriously asking me to spell it out for you?

if im missing something I'd love to hear it....

chgorman
07-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Oh boy, where to start...

First off, being a GM doesn't only involve trades, FA signings and drafts, there's a lot more to it. Managing the cap and negotiating contracts. High level management of the farm teams (primarily personnel). Building trust with both the players and the fans. Dealing with the media. You're basing your judgement solely on three of many factors (granted they're the three most 'visible' factors to the general public).

He's worked the cap as well or better than any other GM in the league IMO. Everyone thought the cap would be the Wings' demise. Still making the playoffs every year almost 10 yrs later. That doesn't happen without good management. He rarely ever overpays on contracts. Some think he overpaid for Alffy, fair enough, I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but it's a pretty rare occasion for Ken Holland to end up overpaying someone. Grand Rapids was pretty mediocre during the time period you mentioned (up until winning it all this season, of course), but that's what happens you win so much that you never have an early - or even middle - 1st rd pick to drop onto the farm team to give them a boost. Kindl at 19th overall in '05 is the earliest draft pick they've had in the past 9 years, and 4 of those years, they didn't even have a 1st round pick. So I feel Grand Rapids has done just fine developing the talent the Wings have drafted, culminating in this past season's Calder Cup win.

He appears to be one of the most trusted GM's in the league both by players and other GM's (he's a very respected voice on the competition committee), is always very upfront and open with the media (as much as his position allows), which is probably why fans trust him too. I don't live in Detroit, but pretty well every Wings fan I know loves him.

Secondly, I happen to feel they've done pretty well in the draft over the past 9 yrs. Kindl took forever to finally break the lineup, but he's turned into a reliable 3rd pair/pp guy. Abdelkader played 1st line with Dats for most of last season, maybe 1st or 2nd line again next season. Darren Helm was a 5th rd pick and is arguably one of the better 3rd line centers in the NHL (or at least Babcock thinks so). I believe Matthias plays top 2 lines in FLA. Brendan Smith is already a 2nd pair guy and it's likely that either him or Dekeyser will be paired with Kron this year. Gustav Nyquist was a 4th rd pick and he'll be 1st or 2nd line for sure within a year or two, if not next season. Tomas Tatar owned the Calder Cup playoffs with 17 goals in 23 or 24 gms. Peter Mrazek was a 5th rd pick, looking like he's going to be a stud. They call Jurco 'Little Datsyuk', his hands are unbelievable. Look up the goal he scored in the Calder Cup finals (can't remember which game). I've heard many good things about Martin Frk, and Jake Patterson is turning into a very solid goalie. Given the situation and the picks they had to work with, I think they've done a pretty good job drafting. Not every year, there were certainly some picks that haven't worked out, but that happens everywhere. For the most part, they've drafted well, and more importantly, developed their players well.

In regards to FA's, it's tough to land top quality FA's when you don't have much cap space to work with, since you're always spending to the cap to put a top quality lineup on the ice almost every night. They finally had some cap space last season, made substantial offers to Parise and Suter, but they chose to play together in their own backyard. Can't fault Kenny H for Parise being from Minny and Suter being from Madison Wisc, nearby. I think KH has done a solid job adding good complimentary pieces to lineup and not overpaying for them.

He hasn't made any great trades since getting Brad Stuart for two guys who haven't seen NHL ice yet, but he hasn't had to, and he also hasn't made any terrible or even bad trade trades IMO. There's a lot to be said for that.

I believe they still have Hakan Andersson as their Head Euro Scout, the guy you're referring to in you're earlier post, and I personally feel he's still doing a great job.

WIS
07-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Derek roy to St. Louis pending a physical. It'll be on a 1-year contract.

two24four
07-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Don't forget Jim Nill in DET, he had a huge hand in everything. Pretty sure Nill did most of their drafting. I'm loving what he's done in Dallas in a short time. He's a big loss for DET. Teams have been trying to hire Nill away for years.

WIS
07-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Don't forget Jim Nill in DET, he had a huge hand in everything. Pretty sure Nill did most of their drafting. I'm loving what he's done in Dallas in a short time. He's a big loss for DET. Teams have been trying to hire Nill away for years.
Including the Leafs!

chgorman
07-07-2013, 09:10 AM

Agreed on all fronts. Big loss for the Wings, he's already doing great things for DAL.

Also, forgot to mention in my previous post - Kenny H convinced DeKeyser to sign with DET. That's a pretty solid FA signing, considering DeK already looks like a top pair D.

phaneuf6
07-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Agreed on all fronts. Big loss for the Wings, he's already doing great things for DAL.

Also, forgot to mention in my previous post - Kenny H convinced DeKeyser to sign with DET. That's a pretty solid FA signing, considering DeK already looks like a top pair D.

Fair, but let's not get carried away with such a short sample. Chris Kreider looked like a top 6, scoring winger last year. This year? hah.

Dubz
07-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Welcome to Dallas Tyler

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427197

two24four
07-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Great Hall of Fame class this year. But I can't believe Pat Burns did not get in again.

Kyle
07-09-2013, 09:27 PM

This is insane. The Wings have one of the deepest farm systems in the NHL and some of the best forwards and D-men projected to enter the league in the next handful of years. I'm not going to stack too much on top of what Chg was saying, but as the team most impacted by the salary cap (along with the Rangers), the wings were supposed to come back down to Earth. All they did instead was make it to 3 straight conference finals, 2 straight stanley cups, and 2 goals away from winning a 2nd straight cups. So Kenny H had no good draft picks to work with really. They've done well with what they've had. No big free agent signings? Thats the POINT of the salary cap era, you aren't supposed to splurge in free agency. He is easily the most proficient GM in the league at wisely running a team and giving himself the very best possible chance to win. He signed Hossa. He got Rafalski. Hes added pieces when needed.

The most obvious sign of how good of a GM hes been is how little hes NEEDED to trade and add through free agency. He keeps his core together and allowed chemistry to develop across an entire roster in an era it wasn't supposed to be able to. He avoided big free agency splashes that would create huge cap situations later on. He could've offered Parise the extra million or so per season needed to match or beat Minnesotas offer, but he refused to pass a limit he had set prior which was exactly how much the team could've afforded to spare for him.

Hes so good because he so rarely makes a bad decision. A good GM isn't signified by X amount of big-name free agents or how many draft picks lead the league in scoring. When you draft 25th-30th almost every season, that becomes an absurd expectation.

Kenny H is so clearly the best GM in the league that even discussing it is downright silly

two24four
07-10-2013, 12:08 AM
We will find out how good Kenny H really is. Because not only did he lose Jim Nill to Dallas but the Wings head amateur scout and east scout have joined Nill in Dallas. Wings better hope Hakan Andersson does not join Nill.

Hamsterkill
07-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Yeah I will admit it's kind of confused me how he's never Team Canada's GM despite his enormous level of skill at team building... Granted, Team Canada rarely *needs* that level of genius, but it's still weird to me.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Rask 8 years $56 mil. Good deal bad deal? Goalie contracts like that always make me a little nervous.

Snipes16
07-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Rask 8 years $56 mil. Good deal bad deal? Goalie contracts like that always make me a little nervous.

Marc Andre Fleury will do that to ya..

badda bonga

szuturon
07-11-2013, 02:52 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

Who saw this coming?

gogoayane
07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

Who saw this coming?

Wow... I'll be lying if I say I'm not shocked, but what is really surprising is the timing. He could've done it during the lockout or even during the off-season but why now?! He's been rumoured about leaving for so long you know eventually it'll happen.

What a way to screw NJ over... it's like his final FU to NJ. Good thing he is off the cap but Lou could've used the space to sign Clarkson or something.

Hamsterkill
07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Wow... I'll be lying if I say I'm not shocked, but what is really surprising is the timing. He could've done it during the lockout or even during the off-season but why now?! He's been rumoured about leaving for so long you know eventually it'll happen.

What a way to screw NJ over... it's like his final FU to NJ. Good thing he is off the cap but Lou could've used the space to sign Clarkson or something.

Has to be a mutual breakup... somehow... Kovalchuk sounds like he intends to play in Russia, which New Jersey has the power to prevent since he would technically still be under contract. I really couldn't say *why* NJ wants to let him do this, especially after losing Parise last offseason.

What an enormous fuckup that contract turned out to be. NJ still has to forfeit next year's 1st rounder because of it, too.

gogoayane
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Has to be a mutual breakup... somehow... Kovalchuk sounds like he intends to play in Russia, which New Jersey has the power to prevent since he would technically still be under contract. I really couldn't say *why* NJ wants to let him do this, especially after losing Parise last offseason.

What an enormous fuckup that contract turned out to be. NJ still has to forfeit next year's 1st rounder because of it, too.

Yup for sure... I doubt Lou would want to keep Kovalchuk if his heart isn't even with the team anymore.. at least there's more cap space now to work his magic.

The worst part is the 1st round pick... if NJ miss playoff and ended up with a high-end pick... :dead:

Hamsterkill
07-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Yup for sure... I doubt Lou would want to keep Kovalchuk if his heart isn't even with the team anymore.. at least there's more cap space now to work his magic.

The worst part is the 1st round pick... if NJ miss playoff and ended up with a high-end pick... :dead:
Which has to be considered more likely now with Kovy and Clarkson leaving. Unless they become frontrunners to acquire Vanek from Buffalo this summer, anyway.

Dexter
07-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Relax guys, they signed Clowe.

Dubz
07-12-2013, 01:35 AM
Best of luck Kovalchuk. Its a life choice made by a pretty young guy. We could all guess why he went this way but it would be less complex then it was to him. Ultimately is probably wasnt easy for him....but it does seem like NJ saved the biggest buyout in the NHL.

Kyle
07-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Best of luck Kovalchuk. Its a life choice made by a pretty young guy. We could all guess why he went this way but it would be less complex then it was to him. Ultimately is probably wasnt easy for him....but it does seem like NJ saved the biggest buyout in the NHL.

Wasn't easy? He'll make 2-3x more money per year, maybe more if he turns into the premier superstar over there and gets a bunch of endorsements. Sounds as easy as it gets. Hes not Datsyuk with any real attachment to a team through his whole career. He really had no reason to actually stay. He was almost guaranteed a mediocre rest-of-his-career offensively with NJ over the next decade with very little actual cup chance.

phaneuf6
07-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Wasn't easy? He'll make 2-3x more money per year, maybe more if he turns into the premier superstar over there and gets a bunch of endorsements. Sounds as easy as it gets. Hes not Datsyuk with any real attachment to a team through his whole career. He really had no reason to actually stay. He was almost guaranteed a mediocre rest-of-his-career offensively with NJ over the next decade with very little actual cup chance.

Except, like, his integrity and stuff...

Kyle
07-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Like he ever had any. Like it was ever about more than money to him? Give me a break.

phaneuf6
07-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Like he ever had any. Like it was ever about more than money to him? Give me a break.

His selfish actions have set the Devils back AT LEAST 5 years. Unsure about living and playing in North America? Sign a short-term deal.

Kyle
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Where am I denying hes a piece of shit in any capacity?

I simply said, this was obviously an easy decision for what we already knew was a greedy Russian superstar who wasn't set up ideally to shine in the NHL.

b_illin
07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Kovalchuk is probably the most 'russian' of all the russians in the league. Sadly it's mostly the bad stuff we associate with the ruskies and not the good stuff (like with Ovy, Dats)

two24four
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Won't be long before all NHL teams stop drafting Russian players. Some won't now. You just don't know anymore when they might bolt for the KHL. Alexander Burmistrov left the Jets this week to join the KHL as well.

b_illin
07-20-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm disappointed the league didn't balance the Eastern/Western conferences with 15 teams apiece.

Hamsterkill
07-21-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm disappointed the league didn't balance the Eastern/Western conferences with 15 teams apiece.

They wanted to have 4 divisions... 30 doesn't divide by 4.

... but 32 does.

Really, though, they wanted to have the conferences be time-zone based and both Columbus and Detroit are EST and thus really wanted to move to the East.

b_illin
07-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I know but they could have had a division in each conference with 8 teams and a division in each with 7 teams.

Hamsterkill
07-21-2013, 01:08 PM
I know but they could have had a division in each conference with 8 teams and a division in each with 7 teams.

Not if they wanted to keep the timezone theme.

b_illin
07-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Parity trumps time zone imo. (also, like anybody gives a fuck about CLB)

alias
08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
really cool behind the scenes look at Columbus' first round of the draft....

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=231&id=263713&cmpid=embed-share-video

Hamsterkill
08-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Well I guess we get to see more Teemu.

http://youtu.be/sRkcl_RHwoc

two24four
09-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Rumors all over twitter tonight that Brian Burke is going to land some front office job with the Flames. Wonder if they are true or not.

phaneuf6
09-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Surprised at the number of good players that have either had to go to Europe or are still UFAs at this point...Brad Boyes, Mason Raymond, Ryan Whitney, Lombardi, O'Byrne, Mueller, etc.

Just goes to show you how tight the cap is this year.

two24four
09-09-2013, 12:35 PM
He's no Bobby Orr but Kurtis Foster is another. He's playing in the KHL this season.

two24four
09-11-2013, 09:44 AM
No Pietrangelo at Blues camp as he's still looking for a new deal. They better get him signed soon. That would be a huge blow to them if misses some of the season.

phaneuf6
09-11-2013, 10:25 AM
No Stepan at Rangers camp either...he wants 5 years at between 5-6 million? Jeez.

toronto1979
09-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Quite a few guys on the outside looking in:

UFAs:
Bryz
Thomas
Gagne
White
Cleary (technically)
Sullivan
Morrow
Raymond
Latendresse
Wellwood
Langenbrunner
Brunner
Stewart
Knuble
Gilbert
Hejduk
Redden
Kaberle

RFAs:
Pietrangelo
Hodgson
Franson
Stepan
Cowen

Source:
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

Hamsterkill
09-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Hodgson still unsigned by the Sabres as well.

two24four
09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Cleary is back with the Red Wings.

Hamsterkill
09-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Hodgson finally signed... 6yrs at 4.25m per. Good deal for him. Most likely not so good a deal for the Sabres...

toronto1979
09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
No Pietrangelo at Blues camp as he's still looking for a new deal. They better get him signed soon. That would be a huge blow to them if misses some of the season.

Wow!

Alex Pietrangelo and #stlblues (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23stlblues&src=hash) have agreed to terms on a seven-year deal. $6.5 million per season, per @jprutherford (https://twitter.com/jprutherford)

(https://twitter.com/Nichols_NHLPool/status/378595866992328704) (https://twitter.com/Nichols_NHLPool/status/378595866992328704)

two24four
09-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Crazy. But the Blues had to do it. You can't go into the season without him.

PK Subban has to love this.

toronto1979
09-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Oh yeah. His agent will ask for huge money.
Jared Cowen now has a higher salary this year than PK Subban.

alias
09-16-2013, 11:40 AM

even before this deal i dont think anyone thought PK would get less than 7mil per for 8 years on his next deal.

b_illin
09-16-2013, 11:52 AM
I think it's fucking nuts that players get 7-8+ year guaranteed deals. With that kind of term, I think there needs to be some sort of 'out' option for the team...that or the league needs to put a cap on the max number of years (maybe 5-6) because I really think these super long deals are bad for the business (in the long run).

alias
09-16-2013, 12:00 PM
I think it's fucking nuts that players get 7-8+ year guaranteed deals. With that kind of term, I think there needs to be some sort of 'out' option for the team...that or the league needs to put a cap on the max number of years (maybe 5-6) because I really think these super long deals are bad for the business (in the long run).

they just did put a cap on the amount of years. 7 years max if he wasn't on your team the previous season, 8 years if he was. the teams also do have out options, assuming they haven't already used their 2 buyouts.

b_illin
09-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Ah, forgot about that - thx. 7-8 yrs is still ludicrous imo....I wouldn't feel comfortable past 5 yrs tbh. (and the argument that players need those long contracts to guard against potential injury, etc is BS because they can easily buy an insurance policy that would guard them and it wouldn't cost anywhere near as much as everyone might think)

Hamsterkill
09-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I think it strikes a decent balance between keeping contract terms sane while still allowing teams to "lock-up" franchise stars long-term on reasonable-ish contracts.

alias
09-16-2013, 05:46 PM
also towards the end of these 7 and 8 year deals the cap hits on these franchise players will be a steal. long term deals work well for the crosby's and karlsson's, not so much for the second tier guys IMO who you are unsure whether or not they will be effective that far down the road *cough* Clarkson *cough*

Doctego
09-16-2013, 05:58 PM
also towards the end of these 7 and 8 year deals the cap hits on these franchise players will be a steal. long term deals work well for the crosby's and karlsson's, not so much for the second tier guys IMO who you are unsure whether or not they will be effective that far down the road *cough* Clarkson *cough*

Are you talking about the cap hit or the wallet hit because I was under the impression that the cap hit is the average annual salary, regardless of what they are actually paying the player for that season?

alias
09-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Are you talking about the cap hit or the wallet hit because I was under the impression that the cap hit is the average annual salary, regardless of what they are actually paying the player for that season?

I'm talking about cap hit relative to the cap. $8mil against a $64.3mil cap this year eats up 12% of your cap. In 7 years the cap could be around $93mil (based on a 45% increse over 7 yearsm the same increase from 2006 to now) so $8mil against a $93mil cap is only 9% of your cap.

b_illin
09-17-2013, 09:43 AM
While I don't necessarily disagree, *cough* you're such a 10 yr old *cough*

alias
09-17-2013, 01:45 PM
While I don't necessarily disagree, *cough* you're such a 10 yr old *cough*

coming from such a prestigious poster that really hurts b_

but not really

toronto1979
09-17-2013, 11:25 PM
coming from such a prestigious poster that really hurts b_

but not really
And *THAT* was your 8000th post. :bigdeal:

nyrblue2
09-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Going to be in Nashville for a few days for a conference in a couple weeks. Bought a ticket to the Preds home opener for $20 off TicketExchange ($30 after fees) - upper deck, 7th row, along a goal line. Not bad, considering $30 wouldn't even get me in the door at a random Rangers game, never mind the home opener.

Doctego
09-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Have fun. I don't travel much but I always like to check out a game at arenas that I don't normally visit.

chgorman
09-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Nashville is a fun town. Enjoy the game!

toronto1979
09-22-2013, 11:21 AM
How long do you think Vokoun will be out for with his blood clot?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=683530

He had it before and it forced him to miss the rest of the season, and the same thing happened to Dmitri Yuskevich, also forcing him to miss the balance of the season. I can't recall a case where it was diagnosed in the pre-season so it's hard to say for sure if it's a month, two months, or three months before he received medical clearance.

Any ideas?

Dubz
09-22-2013, 07:13 PM
My sis had one of those. (in her leg after surgery for knee tendon) They can be lethal and will be monitored weekly. Id say a couple of months would be a close timeframe from what ive experienced. Of course these guys get ultimate treatment so it could be less but i dont think im far off.

toronto1979
09-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Id say a couple of months would be a close timeframe from what ive experienced.
Sounds like you're right. You can officially add Vokoun to your Do-Not-Draft list.

Rotoworld:
He recovered over the off-season as he was on blood thinners and returned to start the 2006-07 season although he would have missed four-five months had it happened at the beginning of the season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/689/tomas-vokoun

alias
09-23-2013, 11:52 AM
And *THAT* was your 8000th post. :bigdeal:

damn never noticed that lol and afterwards i thought of a much better reply.....hate it when that happens.....oh well

toronto1979
09-23-2013, 11:58 AM
damn never noticed that lol and afterwards i thought of a much better reply.....hate it when that happens.....oh well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oApBlWipc2A

toronto1979
09-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie (https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie) 6m (https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/383264248521973761)
Tim Thomas and FLA have contract terms in place, signing will occur once FLA ownership change is official, perhaps today or tomorrow.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie (https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie) 3m (https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/383264950694604801)
If it's done today, Thomas could be in lineup for pre-season game tonight. Deal, when signed, will be 1 year, AAV likely between $3M-$4M.