PDA

View Full Version : Fighting in Hockey

Dubz
06-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Well i dont remember if there was a thread specific to this topic but we have all talked about it numerous times. I recall Patrick Roys kid being quite a big instance and of course there are several stories of parents fighting in the stands etc. Theres an incident that i just saw today where criminal charges are apparently being laid on a young kid (16) I know where i stand but figured others opinions might make this a decent topic. Heres the link http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/teen-hockey-player-charged-beating-another-player-174055020.html?vp=1

b_illin
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
A lot is in the grey area and depends on the situation - eg. Colton Orr pummeling Vanek and Vanek's not fighting back, bad...Orr Pummeling John Scott because Scott did a cheap shot on Kessel, good/ok.

The way the incident was described in the link where the kid who's parents are laying charges sounds as though the kid deserved the beatdown given that he gave the goalie an ice job spraydown. You do that you have to expect to fight. I think his parents suck and their kid is going to be ridiculed for yrs to come because of this.

Hamsterkill
06-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Fighting should really be something reserved for the adult professionals in hockey. That fight is evidence that kids are really not mature enough to be allowed to do it (and they aren't allowed to as I understand it). If one player falls to the ice, you stop. You don't kneel down and beat on his head.

Since fighting is not supposed to be a part of the game at that level like it is in the pros, the parents are likely justified in pressing some charges the same way they would be if their kid was playing soccer and got jumped and beat on by an opponent. I don't doubt that their kid will face ridicule, though, unfortunately.

b_illin
06-26-2013, 10:49 AM
^ you do not spray the goalie...ever! Cardinal rule in cdn hockey. If you do it, you accept that every player on the other team will be gunning for you.

Hamsterkill
06-26-2013, 02:59 PM
^ you do not spray the goalie...ever! Cardinal rule in cdn hockey. If you do it, you accept that every player on the other team will be gunning for you.

I've never heard of goalie spraying being an offense that justifies a concussion and broken nose before...

You don't continue to beat on a guy that's lying on the ice not defending himself. I don't care what he did. I've never seen a professional do that and not get backlash.

Doctego
06-26-2013, 04:38 PM

That's fucking retarded. Maybe in the NHL, where the players can skate at a high level. I'm not sure that all 16 year olds are that good. I can think of a scenario where the player either stops and sprays the goalie or runs right into them. Either way, they get a justified beatdown?

b_illin
06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
I think we are all interpreting what we read differently. I'm assuming the kid sprayed him on purpose. Maybe he was a little marchand type. Maybe he pushed back with the wrong guy. Maybe he mouthed off. Maybe the other kid's a maniac. Maybe he was the one that snapped. Hard to tell from that article.

(i will say that by 16 a fight is not that strange an occurence...most kids still playing competitive hockey at that age take it seriously. Fuck, when I was trying out for a shitty AAA team at 16/17 there were 4 fights at the first tryout!)

PS: remember, 16 yr olds play major jr hockey up here...ohl etc

Hamsterkill
06-26-2013, 08:55 PM
I still think they shouldn't be allowed to fight. Can't fight in NCAA. And it sounds like they're not supposed to fight in whatever that league is since you get suspended for it automatically.

PS: Bill there is a video of the incident on that article... Your post makes me think you haven't watched it yet.

b_illin
06-27-2013, 01:51 PM
I still think they shouldn't be allowed to fight. Can't fight in NCAA. And it sounds like they're not supposed to fight in whatever that league is since you get suspended for it automatically.

PS: Bill there is a video of the incident on that article... Your post makes me think you haven't watched it yet.

No, didn't see the video....will check it out after incredibly boring webinar I am on right now

Edit: watched it and I think that punching someone when they are down as that kid was is cheap and shouldn't be done...but at the same time, that kid that got beaten up knew what he was doing when he sprayed that goalie so tough shit kid, don't spray the goalie. The kid that administered the beating does not deserve to be charged....ridiculous.