PDA

View Full Version : Penguins vs Bruins ECF

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-27-2013, 09:31 PM
buckle up baby! Pens in 5! Hey why not ? :cool:

Hamsterkill
05-27-2013, 09:54 PM
I could see this series getting nasty. I'll go Pens in 6. I think Boston matches up better than Ottawa did against the Pens. Penguins like to score in two way -- in close or or on east-west plays. Chara's going to be a tougher obstacle for the Pens trying to get in close than anyone Ottawa had.

I think we'll see some fights in this series, though. Thornton vs Engelland or Murray at least. Maybe Lucic will get one of Morrow or Cooke to go too.

Doctego
05-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Boston in 6. Much tougher matchup than Ottawa.

Rocklobster
05-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Pens in 6. Rask will be chased from the net just like Anderson and we might see khudobin a few times. Tougher team than Ott for sure but IMO the pens offense will destroy. Pens had a problem with a speedy isles team and Bos is not what I would call a speedy team. IMO if they had problems with the leafs then I'm confident we can pull this off in six or less. Everyone is saying Rask> Anderson but didn't Anderson have better season stats this year than Rask? And didn't Bos have problems against Pittsburgh without Croaby and Malkin? Not saying its going to be a cake walk but IMO bruins need to score 4+ goals a game to beat the pens and that is going to be tough.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-28-2013, 02:13 PM
I hate to be cocky but I am not super worried. Boston barely made it by the Leafs and the Rangers suck, their offense and PP was awful in that series and Lundy stood on his head but that's about it. Pens offense gonna over power the rooks and give Rask fits. Chara & the Bruins are lucky for all the rest. Worry a little about momentum/so muh time off. This will be a hard hitting series but Pens will hit back. So long as Vokoun keeps on living the dream I think the Pens are golden. Just my 2 cents. WIshful thinking too maybe, it's been a long time since a Pitt team got one over on a Boston team (in a big series/game). Come on Pens, make me proud!

Kyle
05-28-2013, 06:02 PM
The Penguins get picked on and physically abused early on after two EXTREMELY lightly-played series vs the Islanders and Senators. That wasn't tough hockey, as exciting as it got. The Bruins and Rangers engaged in all out physical wars for most of their 5 games. The Bruins are a playoff built team. But the Penguins have all the talent in the world to keep scoring 4+ per game even on Rask who proved hes far from superhuman last round. The Penguins might be shell shocked en route to a 0-2 start vs the terribly physical Bruins but I see them waking up and turning it into a 7 game series.

Bruins in 7 but not confident in saying they'll win at all.

Rocklobster
05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
the pens may get a little physically abused but they aren't a bunch of pussies either. I'm also sure that a physical series will just lead to penalties. we all know what will happen if that's the case. I would be shocked if we went down 0-2 at home. I can maybe see losing the first game from the extended time off, but not both at home. This is the matchup we all thought we would get. It's going to be an exciting series... BTW when does it start? I think I read Saturday. Hopefully not in the afternoon...

Hamsterkill
05-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the Pens are no shrinking violets. I'd actually rate them a tougher team than the Rangers when they need to be.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Saturday. Are you kidding me going down 0-2 at home? I will be shocked.

Extended time off should not be an issue one way or another, or rather an advantage or disadvantage, since the Bruins are sitting around itching their ball sacks as well.

Wasn't sure where to put this next one but this seemed a good a place as any

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-29-2013, 08:01 PM
oh here you go rock/guys

NHL Eastern Conference Finals
June 1st @Pittsburgh 8PM EST
June 3rd @Pittsburgh 8PM EST
June 5th @Boston 8PM EST
June 7th @Boston 8PM EST
June 9th @Pittsburgh 8PM EST
June 11th @Boston TBD
June 12th @Pittsburgh TBD

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-29-2013, 08:04 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391437_10200721721698512_643422524_n.jpg

Rocklobster
06-02-2013, 02:06 PM
What a crazy game. Bad reffing and no puck luck. Iggy looked like crap and Kunitz just couldn't finish. Malkin was a beast, i had to laugh when two guys were hooking him and then it took a third to actually get a penalty called. Crazy!
Horrible call giving Cooke 5 and then only giving Marchand 2 min for his hit on Neal. Don't think there will be any suspensions though.
Rask surely was the Bs best player.
Im confident if we play like that again we will see the bounces and calls going our way. Can't help but feel this is going to go the distance.

alias
06-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Im confident if we play like that again we will see the bounces and calls going our way. Can't help but feel this is going to go the distance.

I dunno....this is the B's we're talking about....for some reason they always seem to have the calls go their way

Doctego
06-02-2013, 05:24 PM
What a crazy game. Bad reffing and no puck luck. Iggy looked like crap and Kunitz just couldn't finish. Malkin was a beast, i had to laugh when two guys were hooking him and then it took a third to actually get a penalty called. Crazy!
Horrible call giving Cooke 5 and then only giving Marchand 2 min for his hit on Neal. Don't think there will be any suspensions though.
Rask surely was the Bs best player.

I thought that the Cooke hit was worse than the Marchand hit. The latter seemed to be more of a hockey play and not a straight on board. Marchand seemed to come a little bit from the side.

Rocklobster
06-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Difference was Neal had no idea he was going to get hit like that. Marchand came from far away and hit him in the numbers and his head went into the boards. Mcquaid saw Cooke coming and then looked away. plus looked like to me he sold it too. Cooke got that penalty because of his bad rep I think. IMO they are both really just a 2min penalty, but why give Cooke 5 and not Marchand the same? I just didn't think it was consistent.

nyrblue2
06-02-2013, 07:13 PM
I guess you could argue that yes, McQuaid knew it was coming more than Neal because it was Cooke coming in on him, lol.

The difference was that Cooke drove him into the boards from behind. Yes, there are plenty of really bad/dangerous hits where the guy is launched from behind instead of driven, but Neal wasn't uncontrollably or dangerously thrown. 2 minutes, sure, but not even close to a 5. For a second, I thought McQuaid was selling it, but he did miss 8 minutes in the locker room, so I dunno.

Doctego
06-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I guess you could argue that yes, McQuaid knew it was coming more than Neal because it was Cooke coming in on him, lol.

The difference was that Cooke drove him into the boards from behind. Yes, there are plenty of really bad/dangerous hits where the guy is launched from behind instead of driven, but Neal wasn't uncontrollably or dangerously thrown. 2 minutes, sure, but not even close to a 5. For a second, I thought McQuaid was selling it, but he did miss 8 minutes in the locker room, so I dunno.

I agree 100%. Cooke had much more momentum and drove him into the boards. Marchand didn't have nearly the same momentum and didn't drive him with the same force. I don't know what lobster thinks is "far away" but Cooke skated in from a much greater distance. For McQuaid's sake, I'm glad that Cooke's momentum was slightly impeded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfoMxf5_fU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rRE4peNjfM

Rocklobster
06-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Even McGuire in the last clip agrees. Same kind of play, keep it consistent.
Also Neal was in a more vulnerable position whereas mcquaid saw Cooke was there and chose to look and turn away. Gotta take some responsibility in that too. Not saying what Cooke did was right either, should have let up even if he was interfered with a second before. I guess we will find out today if Cooke/Marchand get any games.

nyrblue2
06-03-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't think we'll see suspensions for either. Well, maybe Cooke because it's him, but probably not deserved on this one.

Snipes16
06-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Bongers boys leaking a little bit of everything right now..

hoping they come back with Fleury in game 3...he looks to be the bigger puddle of the 2

Rocklobster
06-04-2013, 12:51 PM
well Kyle was right!
What a shitty game for us, the bruins absolutely crushed us. I dunno who the pens should start for game 3 in Bos. I'd probably lean towards Vokoun. Fleury didn't look better vokoun but both were crap last night. Sid has been very shitty this series, I blame it on him taking off his jaw protector for his helmet...lol
Iggy also has been shit/invisible. I think next season pens mgmt will address how shitty our D is. Disgusting game to watch.
Who would have thought bruins would win 6-1 at pittsburgh???

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-04-2013, 01:44 PM
this has been utterly impossible. I never in a million years would have thought the Pens would pull a SJ Sharks like breakdown. Boston has done their homework. Pens beating themselves just as bad though. Letang may be playing his way out of Pittsburgh right now, he has been on the ice for something like the past 16 goals or so. He is awful. Our D is awful. We are falling apart and being exposed in the most intimate of ways. Disco Dan coaching fucking sucks, grow a pair and STOP THE FUCKING LINE JUGGLING you DANG FOOL!!!!!! Goaltending is paying the price for the trouble in front of them. I thought 1-1 easily but never thought Pens go down 2-0 in the fashion that they have.

Reading all sorts of conspiracy talk on forums and the like -- Boston strong eh ?How does the highest scoring team in the NHL go from 4+ a game to 1 in 2 games? It's bc of the terrorists. :hahano:

Anyway Pens in real trouble. Can they win 2 in Boston? I guess at this point they just need to worry about winning 1 eh?

Hamsterkill
06-04-2013, 03:23 PM
That was a very sad game to watch. I'll put a vote down for putting the more finesse players in instead of the gritty ones. Sit Vitale and play Bennett or Kennedy. Puck control needs to be re-established first before we can start scoring again.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Thru two games Penguins 20 giveaways.Bruins 3 giveaways. What else do you need to know?

nyrblue2
06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Vokoun gets the start again tonight.

This series has been so, so enjoyable so far.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Vokoun gets the start again tonight.

This series has been so, so enjoyable so far.

Is it b/c the Pens are playing like total dog shit and seriously look like the NYR out there? :)

nyrblue2
06-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Ha, when was the last time the Rangers defense and goaltending looked that bad?

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Ha, when was the last time the Rangers defense and goaltending looked that bad?

touche! But I was referring to the lack of scoring and the DOGSHIT PP

nyrblue2
06-05-2013, 03:29 PM
That I can agree with, lol. Misery loves company.

Hamsterkill
06-05-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm a little nervous about the decision to go with Vokoun... He's been getting a little bit worse in every successive game since Game 3 with Ottawa.

Rocklobster
06-05-2013, 04:39 PM
hard to predict this series for me so far, so I'm just gonna guess penguins win 6-4. finally see some scoring from our guys but not quite figured out how to solve our defensive woes. Please make this a 2-1 series!

Kyle
06-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm a little nervous about the decision to go with Vokoun... He's been getting a little bit worse in every successive game since Game 3 with Ottawa.

I must say, you might not even be aware, but you really seem to have some sort of irrational bias against the guy. Lets not even get into how much I simply disagree with you on Vokoun's play. Thats not even necessary here. All I need to address is the absolute JOKE of a performance Fleury had in net last night. After Vokoun let in 3 goals he had no chance on, The Penguins make it a 2 goal game with 30 seconds left in the first. What does Fleury do? Blows an easy save and effectively ends the game.

But lets just break all 6 down 1 by 1.

Goal #1 out of 6 - Horrible turnover, 120 foot breakaway, perfect shot, zero chance for Vokoun
Goal 2: Didn't a Penguin player put this in? Either a Penguin scored, or 2 Penguins let a Bruin win a battle in front of the net despite both of them having body position on him. Either way, not Vokouns fault.
Goal 3 - Ridiculously horrid defensive zone coverage, amazing passes culminating in a wide open one-timer chance from the slot about 20 feet in front of Vokoun. Again, simply not a save you expect a goalie to make.

Then Vokoun is out. In comes Fleury.

Goal 1 - 10 seconds after the Penguins make it a 2 goal game, Fleury allows in a pathetic softy of a goal. Just an awful glove hand
Goal 2 - More horrible defensive zone coverage, no blaming Fleury
Goal 3 - Weirdly good shot considering the circumstances but a simply bad display of goaltending, inside of the post or not that shot should've been cut off by Fleury's angle.

So, Fleury did even worse than Vokoun on Vokoun's worst night. If Vokoun allows all 6 goals, unquestionably I say Fleury gets the start. No argument. But the fact that Vokoun allowed 3, they weren't his fault, and then Fleury allowed 3 himself, 1 which was horrendous and effectively ended the game and the Pens momentum in the 1st period, sealed Fleury's fate moving forward. It was Fleury's starting job. All he had to do was not suck ass for the rest of game 2. He failed horribly and yet again sucked ass another game in these playoffs.

I get it, Vokoun hasn't been a stud for you guys. Hes been infinitely and unequivocally better than Fleury though. And quite frankly Jonathon quick or Lundy themselves wouldn't post good numbers behind this disgusting Penguins defense.

PS - When you're right, you're right. The Penguins simply aren't prepared to play this brand of playoff hockey. Lets hope they wake up in time. I expected 0-2 but I didn't expect it that convincingly.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I must say, you might not even be aware, but you really seem to have some sort of irrational bias against the guy. Lets not even get into how much I simply disagree with you on Vokoun's play. Thats not even necessary here. All I need to address is the absolute JOKE of a performance Fleury had in net last night. After Vokoun let in 3 goals he had no chance on, The Penguins make it a 2 goal game with 30 seconds left in the first. What does Fleury do? Blows an easy save and effectively ends the game.

But lets just break all 6 down 1 by 1.

Goal #1 out of 6 - Horrible turnover, 120 foot breakaway, perfect shot, zero chance for Vokoun
Goal 2: Didn't a Penguin player put this in? Either a Penguin scored, or 2 Penguins let a Bruin win a battle in front of the net despite both of them having body position on him. Either way, not Vokouns fault.
Goal 3 - Ridiculously horrid defensive zone coverage, amazing passes culminating in a wide open one-timer chance from the slot about 20 feet in front of Vokoun. Again, simply not a save you expect a goalie to make.

Then Vokoun is out. In comes Fleury.

Goal 1 - 10 seconds after the Penguins make it a 2 goal game, Fleury allows in a pathetic softy of a goal. Just an awful glove hand
Goal 2 - More horrible defensive zone coverage, no blaming Fleury
Goal 3 - Weirdly good shot considering the circumstances but a simply bad display of goaltending, inside of the post or not that shot should've been cut off by Fleury's angle.

So, Fleury did even worse than Vokoun on Vokoun's worst night. If Vokoun allows all 6 goals, unquestionably I say Fleury gets the start. No argument. But the fact that Vokoun allowed 3, they weren't his fault, and then Fleury allowed 3 himself, 1 which was horrendous and effectively ended the game and the Pens momentum in the 1st period, sealed Fleury's fate moving forward. It was Fleury's starting job. All he had to do was not suck ass for the rest of game 2. He failed horribly and yet again sucked ass another game in these playoffs.

I get it, Vokoun hasn't been a stud for you guys. Hes been infinitely and unequivocally better than Fleury though. And quite frankly Jonathon quick or Lundy themselves wouldn't post good numbers behind this disgusting Penguins defense.

PS - When you're right, you're right. The Penguins simply aren't prepared to play this brand of playoff hockey. Lets hope they wake up in time. I expected 0-2 but I didn't expect it that convincingly.

you did call that huh? fuck you kyle, you're good.

I still believe in this team. 2-1. simplify things. win this fucking game.

I am so frustrated :)

Kyle
06-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm not even going to flinch if the Penguins come back and stomp Boston twice. Won't surprise me at all. Still anybody's series for sure and I'm still predicting 7

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Finally the Penguins showed up for a game this series. OT. HAVE TO WIN. Lose this and it's a back breaker, esp with how hard the Pens have been playing. Win it and it changes everything. LGP. I am gonna go with Geno for a big OT goal. Let's turn this disastrous start into a real series!

Hamsterkill
06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I must say, you might not even be aware, but you really seem to have some sort of irrational bias against the guy.

You gotta remember, I spent all last year watching him suck balls in Washington. Fleury's had a tough time (to say the least) in the last couple playoffs, but he's been quite reliable in regular season play.

I'm not the only one who wasn't 100% confident in giving Vokoun the start tonight before the game. As many analysts seemed to be for it as against it. Needless to say, I'm pleased to have my concerns be unfounded once again tonight.

Kyle
06-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Fair points, Hamster.

Horribly tough break for the Penguins tonight. Wow

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Where was this Pens team in the first 2? Once again I think it will prove to be too little too late. No bounces going the Pens way. Boston is gonna take this thing, probably even sweep us. So many excuses & reasons why this thing has gone wrong for Pitt but I will sum it up in just a few words; The Pens are sharking.

For fucks sake they couldn't even score on a PP when the guy was out there skating with a broken leg on the PK! Still managed to get his stick on the puck a couple of times. Unbelievable.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-06-2013, 02:57 AM
** Image of Crosby with his helmet off, stealing puck, moving twd net... would have been too perfect for him, I guess. **

That would have been etched in time as one of the greatest moments in hockey history... could have changed this entire series. Can't stop thinking about that play. What could have been... Guess it's just not in the cards. Smh. Hats off to the Bruins. They came ready to roll and are 1 win away from breaking my heart.

Rocklobster
06-08-2013, 11:20 AM
:( I didn't see any desperation until the last 2 minutes. PP was the worst I've ever seen it. Definitely shocked we got swept by the bruins( who the leafs almost beat). B's deserved the win but I still hate Marchand and jagr can go fuck a goat. Bylsma will probably get fired now. Too bad.

Hamsterkill
06-08-2013, 02:03 PM
:( I didn't see any desperation until the last 2 minutes. PP was the worst I've ever seen it. Definitely shocked we got swept by the bruins( who the leafs almost beat). B's deserved the win but I still hate Marchand and jagr can go fuck a goat. Bylsma will probably get fired now. Too bad.

I'm still doubtful of that. I don't think Shero fires a coach whose team gets to the ECF even if they were supposed to get farther than that.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Rumors running rapid now. Word is Mario wants Bylsma out and may order Shero to do so. Not sure I buy that one but there was a good article or two about it. Lots of decisions coming up for pending FA. Really hope we sign Duper, he is a must have, imo.

MAF appears to have a secure position in net as "the franchise goalie", at least according to our asshat coach.

Letang trade rumors going full steam as well. Not only bc of his god awful post season play and lack of defensive skills but bc under the cap the Pens aren't gonna be able to pay him the 7+mil he is going to command. Just not enough green to go around.

Will be an interesting off season for the Pens.

Shero presser on Weds.

alias
06-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Rumors running rapid now. Word is Mario wants Bylsma out and may order Shero to do so. Not sure I buy that one but there was a good article or two about it.

FWIW....I think they fire Bylsma and he goes to VanCity

Hamsterkill
06-12-2013, 11:24 AM
As I expected, Shero extended Bylsma's contract for two more years.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
06-18-2013, 06:07 PM
At the end of the day as many gripes and idiotic coaching decisions disco makes, who do you replace him with, really? NYR were ready to pounce all over him. Players love him and his run and gun style works for the Pens (uhm except in the playoffs where we've had 4 straight flops now). Watching Boston take care of the Hawks in a similar way makes me feel a little better about things but I hope Disco has learned a lot from this season. Total misuse of Iginla, awful line juggling and really poor behind the bench in game adjustments make me shake my head but you can't argue his success. He is young. Hopefully his best days are ahead of him. Go Pens