PDA

View Full Version : Kings(5) vs. Sharks (6)

alias
05-13-2013, 09:53 AM
This is gonna be a good series....I think the Sharks can pull it off....their goaltending is better than the Blues and they can score more goals as well. But the Kings are damn resilient. I still say Sharks in 6.

Dubz
05-13-2013, 10:06 AM
I hope they can get off to a good start but have a feeling they may be a little slow out of the gate. A split would be ideal in LA. Sharks in 6.

Hamsterkill
05-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Not sure about this one. I made the mistake of severely underestimating the Sharks going into the playoffs, but the Kings seem about equal to their last year's selves. I honestly wouldn't be very surprised by any result or series length in this one.

I'll say Kings in 7, though.

Doctego
05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Sharks in 6.

Rocklobster
05-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Sharks in 6

chgorman
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
I think the Sharks have more talent overall and are well rested (or at least moreso than LA), however I can't discount LA's experience being the reigning Stanley Cup champs and the fact that they have home ice adv, which I think will be huge in this series, given SJ's dominance at home. I'm taking LA in 7.

gogoayane
05-13-2013, 01:35 PM
SJ is a very different team this year - young guns like Couture and Pavelski matured into a key scorers, giving Marleau and Thornton more space to do their own things. Niemi is more confident and his Ds are playing great. Given their success in their PP (very deadly), I say SJ in 6, won't surprise me if it is in 5.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
This is going to be an epic series! Sharks will go as far as Nemo and Couture take them. Got two stanley cup winning goaltenders up against each other, both playing great hockey. Sharks benefiting from being the hunter and not the hunted and as I have said 10000 times, Pavelski & Couture have grown into the leaders of this team and it def. seems to take a lot of pressure off Jumbo and Patty, something neither has ever dealt very well with. This will be a fast and hard hitting series with plenty of drama. I was torn between wanting LA or Chi in 2nd round but we got LA so here we go. I am anxious for game 1 and nervous about such a long rest. Really hope to see SJ come out swinging in game 1 and set the tone for this series. Got to pull for my boys & of course pick them to win it and advance to the WCF. Sharks in 6.

Gern Blansten
05-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Sharks in seven. This will be an epic series!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-14-2013, 03:03 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/922906_642162552464376_1579633090_n.jpg

just bc it's funny & I hope this is the year they learn to spit !

Kyle
05-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Sharks in 5. That train aint slowing down yet.

wendel_
05-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Not saying it because of the current lead (since as a Leafs fan I know leads don't mean jack haha), but Kings in 6

Kyle
05-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Quick can't steal four can he?? San Jose looked fine out there. They just needed better luck.

gogoayane
05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
This is going to be a great series - both teams played well... SJ was all over LA in the 3rd, just need a couple lucky bounces we could've gone to OT.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-15-2013, 01:39 PM
wow j quick frustrated me as a fan ,can't imagine how the sharks players felt out there. GRRRR! Team looked fine but I am suddenly scared of the Kings. They have mojo and great goaltending going on right now... Sharks got to take game 2 at Staples. Please please please pleaaaaaaaase!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-16-2013, 02:41 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/968952_530171710376105_1642641290_n.jpg

Kyle
05-16-2013, 02:43 PM
:lol: Torres is going to get slammed by the league. Its just one incident too many now

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-16-2013, 02:45 PM
yeah what a puke we really need him against these guys!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/375169_10201032709561336_892189086_n.jpg

Kyle
05-16-2013, 02:49 PM
:lol:

I don't think it was that big a deal. Not a suspension-worthy hit for sure but I easily see him getting 1-3 games for the familiarity of that hit. The charge and then the lifting into the high hit, its too much of a trademark for him and the league certainly has no more tolerance for that. Especially not after Abdelkader doing the same thing vs Anaheim.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-16-2013, 06:33 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/960055_537554829619429_1673614696_n.jpg

real, lol

Kyle
05-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Yikes. Once I watch the League's video, though, and after observing what Shanny said (That if it was a shoulder hit primarily, he would've flown back, but instead he spun around because his head was contacted primarily), I kind of understand. It was a worse hit than I thought originally, but still 1-3 games to anyone else. Torres has a bad rap sheet I suppose.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-16-2013, 07:26 PM
ah great he is done for the 2nd round. fucking sucks we really benefited from him.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-17-2013, 01:25 AM
speechless

ih8music
05-17-2013, 11:06 AM
yeah, that was a brutal loss for the Sharks. The first penalty was legit, but it was hard to see if Vlasic's clear deflected off a King or not. Pretty ballsy call by the ref to give the Kings a 2 man advantage that late in the game.

Kyle
05-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Though Wilson said Torres won't appeal, and the team "fully supports the NHL in its efforts to remove illegal and dangerous hits from the game," the GM also said the Sharks strongly disagree with the suspension.
"Upon review of the incident, it is abundantly clear that this was a clean hockey hit," Wilson said in his statement. "As noted by the NHL, Raffi's initial point of contact was a shoulder-to-shoulder hit on an opponent who was playing the puck. He did not leave his feet or elevate, he kept his shoulder tucked and elbow down at his side, and he was gliding -- not skating or charging.
"As stated in the NHL's Player Safety video, Rule 48.1 says, 'A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted.' Thus, with the use of the word 'and,' this rule clearly states that two elements must occur in order to violate the rule. Raffi absolutely did not target his opponent's head on the play. The call on the ice specifically acknowledged that the head was not targeted and nowhere in the NHL's ruling does it insinuate or suggest that the opponent's head was targeted."
"Furthermore, the rule goes on to say: 'However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.'"
Torres was acquired by the Sharks from the Phoenix Coyotes (http://coyotes.nhl.com/) at the NHL Trade Deadline. Torres was suspended for 25 games last spring for an illegal hit on Marian Hossa (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8466148) during Phoenix's first-round series against the Chicago Blackhawks (http://blackhawks.nhl.com/). Torres appealed that decision and had his suspension reduced to 21 games, a penalty that carried into this season.
Wilson said the Sharks feel Torres' past influenced this decision to suspend him.
"As evidenced in the video, just prior to Torres making contact with the opposing player, that player altered his posture to play a bouncing puck with his hand, placing himself in a vulnerable position," Wilson said.
"Comparing the facts of this incident against the actual wording of Rule 48.1, it appears that the NHL has not only made an inappropriate application of this rule but is trying to make an example out of a player who is being judged on past events, one who has changed his game dramatically this season and taken only six minor penalties in 39 games."

Yikes. Get em Dougie.

Dubz
05-18-2013, 09:47 AM
:bs:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-19-2013, 01:27 PM
CLUTCHOURE! Yes, there is a reason we call him that here in San Jose :) What a rocket in OT.. Kid Saved the season!

Oh and NEMO, my god he is putting on a netminding clinic. Watching goaltending in this series is such a pleasure. Quick is a beast and Nemo is giving him a run for the money. Love it. Such a different feel in the west as oppose to the east playoff hockey.

Kyle
05-20-2013, 02:02 PM
The Sharks have been so drastically better than the Kings this series. NHL.com should edit their website and properly reflect this series matchup: San Jose Sharks 1 game to Jonathon Quick's 2 games. I hate crediting wins to goalies but nobody else in LA deserves any credit.

Dubz
05-20-2013, 10:00 PM
I think the Sharks are still dangerous. Havent watched the Quick performance but i think he can fall quicker....couple breaks and the Sharks have a shot imo

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Havlat back out, swear that mans bones are made of glass.

I am more nervous about this game than game 3. Weird.

Was gonna snag some tickets to the game tonight but timing didn't work with my gf plus I am sort of holding out hope and $ that it goes to 6. I think that would be a way more exciting game to go to this series.

Well, should be a good one tonight. Can't wait!

Kyle
05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
I really just can't express it enough. The Kings SUCK ASS. They are Jonathon Quick. The Sharks are just dominating them all over again and this time Quick isn't bailing them out enough. Ugly game for LA so far.

Kyle
05-21-2013, 11:34 PM
well it took LA around 150 minutes but they're finally playing good hockey. Exciting finish.

ih8music
05-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah, after 2 periods I was starting to wonder if the Kings had given up and the series was over -- but that 3rd was intense and LA could have (and some would argue SHOULD have) won that game. It's still anyone's series.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Deep thoughts with Sponge:

Calm waters in san jose. A little chilly today! Sharks simply do not lose at home. I can't express to you guys enough how loose Thornton and Patty are right now. This is such a different feel than what we are used to. I said it earlier in the thread it starts with Logan and the Big Pavelski. Clutch is really rubbing off on these guys, having fun out there and scoring timely goals. The young guys are really giving the old men on this team some push. This is some of the best playoff hockey the Sharks have played. They may not advance or win it all or anything along those lines but I LOVE the 'tude in the locker room right now.

OH -- maybe it's a sign of the times or maybe it's the fact that ppl got tired of the hype and the choke but so far it's actually been POSSIBLE to get Sharks tickets thru legit ticketmaster purchases. In years past they always sold out straight away & I have been forced to hit up stub hub ebay and other sources for my seats. Weird?

Oh, I know Quick deserves all the talk but my god how about the way Nemo is playing this year? THANK YOU CHICAGO! Nemo is sporting the best playoff numbers of his career so far! He is conn smythe and vezina worthy. Just a pleasure to watch.

Sharks steal game 5 and bring it home to the tank for 6 and.... oh boy shouldn't get ahead of myself! :)

fun fun fun series

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-23-2013, 04:38 PM
I think tonight in LA is the series. I know it's silly to say an entire series rides on 1 game esp when a series is quite likely to go 7 but both of these teams are incredibly stingy at home. Rather see SJ win a game 5 in LA than a game 7. If SJ can take this game tonight..... be feeling mighty good headed back to the tank for game 6.

ih8music
05-24-2013, 12:24 AM
That Quick guy is pretty good.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-24-2013, 04:32 PM
That Quick guy is pretty good.

Seriously! When he hit the scene I grabbed him off FA in a dynasty HI league not realizing what I was even getting. Man he has turned into a serious monster in the net. SJ peppered him at times and he has made some incredible saves. Sharks win at home but game 7 in LA is gonna be tough. I hate to say it but I think Quick wins it for them. Fuck.

Hey Nemo has been really great as well. What a goaltending battle this series has given us. Detroit/Chi gonna have their hands full in the WCF.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-27-2013, 09:33 PM
oh boy game 7 in LA this is gonna be intense & also a HUGE challenge for SJ. I am hopeful but realistic. If SJ can beat LA in this game I love their chances moving fwd...

Still be super happy proud of this team even if they lose it tomorrow night. Much more grit and heart than in years past.. fun to watch. C'mon Sharks, shock them. Trendy ass Hollywood blows! Let's knock some of those fans off their bandwagon :)

ih8music
05-28-2013, 09:53 PM
One period of hockey left for the Sharks unless they can solve Quick. They finally had some good pressure on him late in the 2nd, but it's looking grim.

ih8music
05-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Struggling to find solace in the fact that the Sharks battled up until the very end. Getting too used to these post season disappointments.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Struggling to find solace in the fact that the Sharks battled up until the very end. Getting too used to these post season disappointments.

I feel you my friend. If not for all the past disappointments, this one probably would not hurt so bad. They battled so hard and really put up a great series. Jumbo and Patty did their typical disappearing act in the biggest game of the year though. So frustrating, these guys. It's rough being a Sharks fan, despite the regular season success we enjoy.

Interesting thing I read the Sharks have lost their past 10 playoff series to 10 different teams. That is a strange fucking stat. Despite the success this year and despite taking the defending champs to game 7 and losing by a mere goal... maybe time to start shopping some pieces of this team around? I mean shoot we do this every year... great win Kings, hats off to the champs.