PDA

View Full Version : Penguins(1) vs. Senators(7)

alias
05-12-2013, 10:28 AM
This gonna be close. Ottawa's defense & goaltending is much better than the Islanders....it all hinges on the Penguins goaltending. Pens in 7.

Kyle
05-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Well, Vokoun has looked like a stud. I don't see much of an issue with the Pens goaltending. Their issue is defense. Letting out two goals like they did last night is troubling, the Islanders 2nd and 3rd goals were one timers across the net to a wide open man standing right on the door step. The very first thing any functional defense does is shut down that pass because its such a guaranteed goal. Thats why you rarely see the play except on powerplay or 5 on 3 situations. It happened twice 5 on 5 last night.

So the Penguins have major issues marking their guys and sticking with them on D, and things just look a little chaotic and unorganized in their own zone and especially in front of their net. They're working hard enough and doing things right on the boards but the coaching just doesn't seem to be there defensively, players don't seem to know where/who they're supposed to cover and as a 5 man unit aren't playing together in their own zone. A lot of the quality chances against the Pens in round 1 weren't based on a successful cycle or forecheck but rather poor coverage allowing a harmless play to turn into a quality chance.

That said, Ottawa without Spezza is not good offensively, Karlsson goes a long way but I think the Habs series was more about the Habs imploding than the Sens exploding. Ottawa shouldn't score as much as the Islanders did but goals will also be much harder to come by for Pittsburgh. Ottawa is a way better defensively and Anderson had arguably the best 24 game sample size in NHL history this season. I said theres no human way it keeps up in the playoffs - I was dead wrong. Nearly the same exact numbers at 1.80 GAA and .950 sv%. Andersons a beast who will make a lot of saves that Nabokov didn't.

This series largely comes down to the Pens offense vs Karlsson and Anderson. I say Penguins in 7

Hamsterkill
05-12-2013, 12:49 PM
I actually like Ottawa as a matchup better than I did the Isles. Pens in 6 again, though.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I heard Spezza is back ? Hoping the Matt Cooke bullshit provides a bit of a decoy in this series. If he grinds and agitates in the right way he could really get the sens off their game at times. Last game the Sens were running around a bit trying to take shots at cookie and exact some sort of on ice revenge. (Hope to god we don't have to worry about our stars getting targeted.) That being said, Karlsson is also going to have a real hard on for scoring and beating the team that took away his season & put him through so much pain, agony and PT. I also like this series a lot better than the isles though. Pens in 5 or 6 again..

Pens have a predicament in net though. If you are coach and it's game 1 -- do you give your perpetual # 1 guy and locker room favorite flower a clean slate and a second shot in a 0-0 series or do you go with King Koun who stepped in and did everything he was asked to do and expected to do and imo was the MVP of that entire series?

I really don't know what disco is gonna do but for me -- I give Vokoun the nod.

gogoayane
05-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Can't go with my heart on this one... Pens in 6. Sens will put up a fight though... it'll be a great series.

Fleury should get the start IMO. At the end of the day, he is your starter.

Dubz
05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Vokoun has the momentum. If he loses it you can replace him. BUT Fleury is the guy and i wouldnt be surprised if they give him a shot in game 1 with the shortest fucking leash ever!!

I also hope the Sens take Cooke out, eye for an eye style!! :evilgrin: I think both teams will wear themselves thin in this series but as ive stated before the Pens are so badass when it comes to depth. Crosby is out...put in Geno. Slew of muti-talented wingers. If the goalie faulters there is one on the bench. The D is a bit thin obviously, but Letang is beast and Martin is showing up....along with some decent shut down guys.

Pens/Sens has a nice ring to it. 6 games for the Pens but i wouldnt be surprised to see it go 7

Dubz
05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Spezza is not back from what ive seen on CBC in interview. He is talking about the light at the end of the tunnel....like its still a ways away.

Doctego
05-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Pens in 6.

chgorman
05-14-2013, 08:39 AM
I'll toss in a vote for OTT here, in 6, just to be different. PIT is a better team overall, especially on offence, but if they don't tighten up their D a bit and get some consistently good goaltending (Vokoun has been solid, but can he keep it up?), they may be in a tough spot as Anderson has been lights out and OTT knows how to score those dirty playoff goals and do just enough to beat any team in the league any given day.

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 10:14 AM
pens in 5. no karlsson no problem. Anderson is going to have to stand on his head if sens have any chance at all. IMO I think NYI would beat the sens too if they were matched up.

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Also even though I strongly think vokoun is the better goalie right now, I think they might want to start Fleury this game. Give him a short leash and at least a chance to gain some confidence back. I was thinking If we ride vokoun a lot and he gets burnt out, sticking in Fleury in a do or die game could be fatal. It might be best to give vokoun a rest now when the series is just starting.

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
sounds like vokoun is starting anyway. lol

gogoayane
05-14-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm surprised they are starting Vokoun... thought they would give Fleury another chance.

Doctego
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Also even though I strongly think vokoun is the better goalie right now, I think they might want to start Fleury this game. Give him a short leash and at least a chance to gain some confidence back. I was thinking If we ride vokoun a lot and he gets burnt out, sticking in Fleury in a do or die game could be fatal. It might be best to give vokoun a rest now when the series is just starting.

Your explanation confirms why they should start Vokoun. The playoffs isn't the time to experiment with Fleury, unless necessary. He has already shown to be shaky (last year and this year). Put him back in there and they might not make it out of this round. I don't see how Vokoun can get burnt out. They will have at least a day off between games, sometimes two.

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I think there is b2b games for sure this series. I was just thinking give him a shot to gain some confidence now while we still have the chance to. If he lets in a flukey goal pull him right away obviously though. Not disappointed they are starting Vokoun at all and maybe I'm just over thinking a bit.
What happens if it's game 6 and vokoun hurts his groin or he shits the bed and now we have to put fleury in. My bet is fleury will have little or no confidence. Eventually I think he will play, so I thought might as well give him a shot now see if he can bounce back. I think there is still time to experiment in game 1, but it's pointless to say now that Vokoun is confirmed to start. Can't forget Fleury saved our asses a few times on our cup run so I'm sure we will see him again. Vokoun has been a stud, but he hasn't really played for long stretches either so I'm hoping he can keep it up.

I'd like to see BB back in the lineup too.

chgorman
05-14-2013, 11:34 AM
I think there is b2b games for sure this series. I was just thinking give him a shot to gain some confidence now while we still have the chance to. If he lets in a flukey goal pull him right away obviously though.
What happens if it's game 6 and vokoun hurts his groin or he shits the bed and now we have to put fleury in. My bet is fleury will have little or no confidence. Eventually I think he will play, so I thought might as well give him a shot now see if he can bounce back. I think there is still time to experiment in game 1, but it's pointless to say now that Vokoun is confirmed to start

I'd like to see BB back in the lineup too.

Doing that will absolutely destroy any confidence he may have left. Let him get his confidence back in practice. Yeah, it would be nice for him to step in, have a big game in game 1 and get some confidence back, but if they start him and he has a subpar game and/or gets pulled after after a questionable goal, his confidence is completely shot and the plan totally backfires. If that happens, might as well call up the W-B starter to backup Vokoun, as MAF will be useless for the rest of the series. IMO, the risk of starting Fleury and having it backfire horribly on them is not worth the potential benefit.

They have to start Vokoun, no question. They made the right decision.

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I disagree that he can gain confidence back in practice. Not the same thing at all. Get him in the game sooner than later, if he shits the bed so be it, we still have vokoun. He's already lost confidence big time, putting him into a game when we are down late in the series and have to play him instead of wanting to, doesn't sit well with me. He needs to have his confidence back b4 that happens.

Go Pens!

Hamsterkill
05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I think Vokoun will be starting until he loses. When that happens, they go back to Fleury until MAF has another 5+ goals against in a game.

Kyle
05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
I think its hilarious that anyone ever thought they could ever put Fleury back in before Vokoun forces them too. But you all know my thoughts on that. IMO it was always a 0% chance of Fleury ever starting again this postseason until Vokoun forces it.

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Why is it hilarious? I mean it's not like he ever won a cup with this team... but seriously I wasn't surprised it's vokoun getting the start and I agree he's been the better goalie all season. At first I had no doubt he would start and wanted them to start vokoun but now I'm starting to think past this series and wondering about MAF. Is he a write-off for the rest of the playoffs already? You would think he's going to get some action at some point, so I think I'd rather see it now rather than later.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-14-2013, 01:50 PM
pens in 5. no karlsson no problem. Anderson is going to have to stand on his head if sens have any chance at all. IMO I think NYI would beat the sens too if they were matched up.

No Karlsson no problem? Did I miss something that will be keeping him out ?

Koun is the right choice right now. This is why Ray Shero went out and got this pony, may as well ride him. Hell, depending on how all of this plays out Fleury's career in pitt could very well be in question. Maybe the Pens going out and signing Eric Hartzell will turn out to be a bigger move than any of us realized at the time. Though it's hard to say with such a young guy and how goalies tend to development or not develope @ NHL level. Def another smart move by Mr GM though.

Can't wait for the game tonight! Get another dose of b2b hockey with Sharks playing tonight too. Great day for hockey :)

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 02:02 PM
AFAIK karlsson is not playing. ................ doh i guess i mean spezza.

Hamsterkill
05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
No Karlsson no problem? Did I miss something that will be keeping him out ?

Koun is the right choice right now. This is why Ray Shero went out and got this pony, may as well ride him. Hell, depending on how all of this plays out Fleury's career in pitt could very well be in question. Maybe the Pens going out and signing Eric Hartzell will turn out to be a bigger move than any of us realized at the time. Though it's hard to say with such a young guy and how goalies tend to development or not develope @ NHL level. Def another smart move by Mr GM though.

Can't wait for the game tonight! Get another dose of b2b hockey with Sharks playing tonight too. Great day for hockey :)

I've been hoping the Pens would get a goalie they could develop into an NHL starter for years. Not sure Hartzell's that guy, but I certainly expect to see him re-signed before July -- otherwise what was the point?

At the moment, though, Hartzell should only be viewed as the second coming of John Curry -- whose career path is bascially a mirror image to this point in Hartzell's.

Hamsterkill
05-14-2013, 02:05 PM

IEDIT: Ah, that one I've heard.

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
so no spezza no problem ;) I knew karlsson was back over a month ago, I've just been smoking too much pot or something. Talks are spezza was going to be back, but he is not. Still up in the air if he's going to be back sometime this series.

Doctego
05-14-2013, 02:08 PM

Maybe that was the same source that said they were playing B2B games.:lol:

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Koun is the right choice right now.

you're not worried about fleury's confidence? you just know he's going to get the call at some point, I would just feel better if he got a game in earlier than later is all. I wouldn't be upset if PIT let MAF go if he f's up again in these playoffs.

Hamsterkill
05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
you're not worried about fleury's confidence? you just know he's going to get the call at some point, I would just feel better if he got a game in earlier than later is all. I wouldn't be upset if PIT let MAF go if he f's up again in these playoffs.
Not even a little bit of a chance of that happening. Not unless Shero pulls off a secret plan to obtain Miller, Luongo, Smith, or Bernier. No way Shero's going buyout Fleury and run with Vokoun without a plan B.

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Maybe that was the same source that said they were playing B2B games.:lol:
i'm surprised there isn't. the schedule is fucked TBH

1st round lots of b2b. and this round a lot of 2 days off between games. whatever makes them more money and better ratings though right?

Rocklobster
05-14-2013, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't want any of those goalies you listed. It's not going to happen realistically, but I wouldn't be upset if they actually did let flower go. If you put him in relief of vokoun at some point in this series and he lets in a bunch of stinkers.... why keep him? that would make it 3 playoff runs in a row where he can't perform.

Hamsterkill
05-14-2013, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't want any of those goalies you listed. It's not going to happen realistically, but I wouldn't be upset if they actually did let flower go. If you put him in relief of vokoun at some point in this series and he lets in a bunch of stinkers.... why keep him? that would make it 3 playoff runs in a row where he can't perform.

Even if I thought that meant he would never cut it in the playoffs again, the Pens just don't have anyone in the pipeline who is clearly destined for the NHL. It's been a weakness I've wanted to address for years. Fleury's needed, even if he becomes a backup (I don't see that happening), until that changes.

Kyle
05-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Why is it hilarious? I mean it's not like he ever won a cup with this team... but seriously I wasn't surprised it's vokoun getting the start and I agree he's been the better goalie all season. At first I had no doubt he would start and wanted them to start vokoun but now I'm starting to think past this series and wondering about MAF. Is he a write-off for the rest of the playoffs already? You would think he's going to get some action at some point, so I think I'd rather see it now rather than later.

I just think Fleury was so beyond terrible between the Flyers/Islanders series over 2 years that theres no way they ever feel any pressure to actually start the guy. If anything I say they're happy vokoun is playing confident quality hockey and they don't even need to think about Fleury. Thats what I find hilarious, is that we sit around discussing it so thoroughly but I truly don't think Shero or Bylsma have spent one second thinking about their goalie since game 5 in round 1. I don't think they ever considered going back given Vokoun's quality pair of games.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-14-2013, 02:58 PM

Well you know Tomas Vokoun was brought in for this exact reason (flower shitting his bed again) so why wouldn't they run with it? I agree with Kyle. I don't think you let up on Koun until he gives you a reason. He wasn't fantastic but he was everything he needed to be, when the d left him out to dry he made the timely saves and kept the Pens in the game. He was perfect. His frame of mind is much stronger than Flowers at this point. King Koun was MVP for Pens in 1st round. Pens may have very well lost that series if Flower had stayed in there. Of all the fantastic moves Ray Shero has made over the past year, Tomas is making Shero look like the biggest genius of all. Yes he landed Iggy, Morrow, etc, but the most important and valuable move of all aside from moving Jordan Staal when and how he did, may very well be Shero & Pens bringing in Tomas Vokoun to spell Fleury. Esp. if koun carries the team and helps take them on a serious run.

Yes of course I am worried about MAF (aren't we all...) and I am not sure anything will make me feel better about him right now. (eating crow) I figured after his wife popped out his seed that he would be focused & ready to go but boy was I wrong. I think the more practice he gets in the better. He will prb get the nod again at some point and my hope is that the more he sits and watches Vokoun takin control the more he learns and absorbs into his thick skull how important it is to be calm and collected. Maybe he gets back in there with something to prove. I think he will be ready to roll whenever his time comes, however, I am one of the few who told everyone he was going to have a lights out run so I am not real confident in my observations and opinions when it comes to this guy.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Now that's what I'm talking bout.

Surgical win.

Geno playing Conn Smythe style hockey right now.

Koun let in a softie but shut the door there on out. I think he found his new home!

Great game for Pittsburgh. A statement. If the Pens keep it up they take this series in 4 or 5... if they let up and forget what it takes, it goes to 6. Let's hope they learned a few things from the Isles series. Sure looks like it! LGP

Kyle
05-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Vokoun gave me a scare early and I was ready for the controversy to begin but boy did he shut that down just as quickly. What a brilliant performance in net for him. Drastically outplayed Anderson. Good start Penguins.

Hamsterkill
05-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Starting to get nervous about how much Dupuis is going to want this summer.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Starting to get nervous about how much Dupuis is going to want this summer.

leave those thoughts at the back of your mind and enjoy the ride!

Kyle
05-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Iffy game by Vokoun. Two weak goals, but some huge saves, especially two shorthanded breakaways that could've tied it. He needs to be better but I think he redeemed himself by the end of the game. Anderson played his worst game of the playoffs by far.

Crosby's a beast, whats new.

The Penguins just roll along. 4+ goals nightly seems to be the lowball estimate.

alias
05-18-2013, 08:24 AM
That number 87 guy is pretty good....

Rocklobster
05-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Vokoun is expected to start. Spezza is back tonight. Doubt he will have much effect since he has been out 4 months.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-19-2013, 01:35 PM
may not show much on the score sheet but will provide emotional spark, not to mention the adrenaline of being at home in Ottawhaaaaat? We're in for a doozy. be sweet to see the Pens get up 3-0 tho. Crosby put on a clinic in game 2, who is gonna be the man in game 3 ?

Kyle
05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Did Spezza get hurt? He better have. 7:30 through two periods is unacceptable. If he couldn't come back at 17+ energetic minutes a game he wasn't ready to come back. I've never seen a star come back from injury and play 11 minutes. I'm thinking he aggravated his injury?

Not watching the game but seems like the first normal game the Penguins have been involved with all playoffs.

Kyle
05-19-2013, 09:31 PM
I caught the last 10 of the 3rd. Ottawa really deserved the tie.

If Spezza honestly couldn't play more than 12 1/2 minutes in what amounts to basically an elimination game, he should've remained out of the lineup. He hasn't been effective and Ottawa is a deep team thats played quality hockey all postseason without him. I disagree with including him in the lineup. No matter how much time you've gotten off you can't be out there playing barely over half your usual minutes. Down from 20 minutes to 15 minutes for a few games, sure. But 12.5? He just can't be recovered enough if he can't play more than that.

chgorman
05-19-2013, 09:44 PM
I imagine they'll play him more next game. Probably just easing him in. Nobody I can think of aside from maybe Crosby is able to come right back from a major injury like that and be the same player he was before. Can't think of anyone else who did, off the top of my head.

Kyle
05-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Chg, I hear where you're coming from. I'm not trying to sound unreasonable about it. 12.5 minutes even for a first game back from a long injury just seems like remarkably low ice time.

Karlsson's first game: 27 minutes. Just saying. I didn't need to see 20+, but 12.5 implies hes physically not worth the roster spot right now and at huge risk of taking a dangerous hit that sets him back before hes ready to take hits like that (He just got destroyed in OT).

I'd like to dig up recent big-injuries to big-name stars. I guarantee you very very few of them come back and play less than 15 minutes their first night. They usually play WORSE, for sure but not that much less.

chgorman
05-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Fair enough. I guess 15 mins is a quarter of the game, i.e. a 'regular' shift, so he should be able to handle at least that.

Didn't see much of the game, so didn't see if he played well in those 12 mins or not. I assume he didn't, otherwise he likely would have got more time.

Regardless, I agree, sounds like maybe he wasn't ready and they just rushed him back to help spark some offence. With PIT scoring min 4 goals evey game, OTT needs all the offensive help they can get. I don't blame 'em for giving it a shot, but maybe it wasn't the right decision or time.

Kyle
05-20-2013, 12:35 AM
For sure. Who knows, after all they did end up winning.

What a good game that was. Pittsburgh was 30 seconds away from basically guaranteeing a conference final, and on the powerplay. Amazing shorthanded goal by the ageless wonder Alfy. Now it's anybody's series. The penguins have to be crushed.

Doctego
05-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Fair enough. I guess 15 mins is a quarter of the game, i.e. a 'regular' shift, so he should be able to handle at least that.

Didn't see much of the game, so didn't see if he played well in those 12 mins or not. I assume he didn't, otherwise he likely would have got more time.

Regardless, I agree, sounds like maybe he wasn't ready and they just rushed him back to help spark some offence. With PIT scoring min 4 goals evey game, OTT needs all the offensive help they can get. I don't blame 'em for giving it a shot, but maybe it wasn't the right decision or time.

You never know how your body will react until you play in an actual game. You can't simulate game conditions in practice so there's a chance that they thought he was 100% when he actually wasn't. I have no idea. I think that it was the right decision. I agree that they need offense. I argue that he did that and also provided an emotional lift. I think that he replaced Latendresse in the lineup. Even a less-than-100% Spezza is a better option than he is. It looks like some are looking for Spezza to pick up where he left off before the injury. If you do that, he can't win.

dw13
05-20-2013, 11:34 AM
You can't compare injuries or bodies, Kyle. I think Spezza coming back in itself is a lift for his teammates regardless of the amount of minutes he spent on the ice. Emotional lifts in the playoffs can be just as large as physical lifts, IMO. Not to mention, someone of his standard, 12 minutes with him is much better than 12 minutes without.

Hamsterkill
05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Michalek certainly was playing better with Spezza back.

Doctego
05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
For sure. Who knows, after all they did end up winning.

What a good game that was. Pittsburgh was 30 seconds away from basically guaranteeing a conference final, and on the powerplay. Amazing shorthanded goal by the ageless wonder Alfy. Now it's anybody's series. The penguins have to be crushed.

That was such a perfectly executed play.

Hamsterkill
05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
On a defensive breakdown, too.

Doctego
05-20-2013, 01:30 PM

I don't consider Letang that good defensively but there was definitely a breakdown. A lot could have still gone wrong but it was perfectly done.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-20-2013, 01:31 PM
awful loss, I am still crying.

some fans calling for flwoer to get back in now, that this is the perfect chance to get him back in there. Does it not occur to some ppl that Vokoun may be the horse for the rest of the post season? That loss was not his fault, the pens d let him out to dry, prevent PP with 30 secs to go, lazy, lazy LAZY. I thought we had learned something from last season and from the Islaes series that you don't let your foot up off the gas for even a second. It takes 60 mins of hockey, more of needed, not 35 minutes, not 55 minutes not even 59. So upset about this loss bc the Pens really should have known better.

And back to goaltending. WOW. Both were incredible. Vokoun stood on his head and easily may have played his best so far this post, same with Anderson. We are in for a real treat in game 4.

Doctego
05-20-2013, 01:34 PM
awful loss, I am still crying.

some fans calling for flwoer to get back in now, that this is the perfect chance to get him back in there. Does it not occur to some ppl that Vokoun may be the horse for the rest of the post season? That loss was not his fault, the pens d let him out to dry, prevent PP with 30 secs to go, lazy, lazy LAZY. I thought we had learned something from last season and from the Islaes series that you don't let your foot up off the gas for even a second. It takes 60 mins of hockey, more of needed, not 35 minutes, not 55 minutes not even 59. So upset about this loss bc the Pens really should have known better.

And back to goaltending. WOW. Both were incredible. Vokoun stood on his head and easily may have played his best so far this post, same with Anderson. We are in for a real treat in game 4.

The only reason that I could possibly come up with to put Fleury back in for game 4 would be because I am confident that Pittsburgh can still win the series if they lose game 4. I'm not justifying it. Just saying that's the only reason that I can come up with. There's a good chance that Ottawa would have lit up Fleury last night. Vokoun is the least of their worries.

Kyle
05-20-2013, 01:36 PM

Honest to God, when the Sens went shorthanded, I had the strongest gut feeling it was just going to disrupt Pittsburgh's (Otherwise fantastic) attempt to slow the Senators down towards the end of the third. The Sens had very very little sustained pressure, they were working their asses off but the Penguins were consistently doing an equally great job of disrupting them. Forcing a lot of bad chances. There was a few big saves by Vokoun but for the most part you can't do better than the Penguins did against a team thats fighting for what is essentially their last chance to survive. The Penguins were handling it and it really didn't feel like the Sens would score.

A lot of times the powerplay ends up inspiring the coach to put the wrong players (Like Malkin) on the ice in important defensive moments. It also creates a "Way to go guys, we're up 3-0!" mentality 80 seconds before the game is over that can very easily contribute to an irresponsible play defensively in an otherwise extremely responsible game. It seemed to mess the Pens up more than anything.

They can definitely take some confidence from their defensive performance and Vokoun's superb goaltending in front of them. Offensively the Penguins weren't bad, Anderson stole plenty of goals away from them. The team got better overall despite the loss, the Sens just played very well also.

Hamsterkill
05-20-2013, 01:44 PM

I agree that the loss is not Vokoun's fault obviously, and I'm not going to call for Fleury. But I will disagree that Vokoun had his best game. His stats were stellar and he made some crazy saves but he looked shaky (IMO) on a lot of the shots and he got lucky on saving several them. Could easily have been a 4-1 game if he didn't get lucky on a few of them. I think he gave up more rebounds last game than in any of his others this postseason.

Kyle
05-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Probably the sickest give-and-go I've seen all year. Ridiculously good pass and accurate tip at full speed by a 40 year old, it gets no better than that.

Kyle
05-20-2013, 01:53 PM
I agree that the loss is not Vokoun's fault obviously, and I'm not going to call for Fleury. But I will disagree that Vokoun had his best game. His stats were stellar and he made some crazy saves but he looked shaky (IMO) on a lot of the shots and he got lucky on saving several them. Could easily have been a 4-1 game if he didn't get lucky on a few of them. I think he gave up more rebounds last game than in any of his others this postseason.

I agree. He got lucky a lot, and if the game ended at the end of the 3rd, I would've said Vokoun deserved to allow a goal and didn't quite deserve the shutout. That said, he really came back strong in OT and turned down a lot of chances that would've been completely excusable to allow in. Its one of those games where the consistent shakiness gets outweighed by making SO many saves that could've/should've been goals. His goalie coach has tons to work on him with but now is definitely not the time to call for Flower, as you said. Hockey fans have a weird way of crediting wins/losses to goalies. Kind of like a QB and wins.

Dubz
05-20-2013, 10:10 PM
More times than not its not the goalie or the QB that is the reason for the loss.

Rocklobster
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I haven't heard much talk the pens should play Fleury. Vokoun has been playing pretty damn good and I wouldn't put a shaky fleury in net instead of him for a game 4. This is why I thought they should've gone with Fleury in game 1. Now if next game if we lose we are going to have to go to Fleury for game 5. If he doesn't bounce back in his return we're fucked. IMO you gotta play Vokoun for next game, no question. Ride that horsey.

Last game Anderson stole the show. If it wasn't for him, the sens would be down 3-0 in the series. I hope to god he falters next game.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
no debate Koun in for game 4

Pens win this and it's over in 5

they lose and I think this goes 7

Many of the mindset that game 3 was the best and most complete game for the Pens all playoffs, minus the costly 30 second breakdown there at the end. C'MON MAN!

I'm confident that the Guins should still pull it off and move on to the ECF but man you never know

Is it just me or have these been some of the most exciting playoffs in a while? Enjoying this SO MUCH! But I probably think/say that every year!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Disco needs to STOP FUCKING WITH OUR LINES. STOP STOP STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP! It's no fluke that when Iggy plays with Sid and Duper we win win win. Iginla CAN NOT PLAY LW and neither can Neal. They get too confused and retarded out there. Esp Neal. He needs a boost right now and if you put Kuni back down there consistently I bet any of you $50 or 45 mins of non interupted oral sex that James Neal starts producing. It's an obvious fucking thing here. You put Iggy with Sid and Duper and leave the Geno Neal Kuni line in tact. Why the fuck does disco insist on messing with this?

This is the Pens key to offensive and playoff success, mark my fuckin words.

alias
05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Disco needs to STOP FUCKING WITH OUR LINES. STOP STOP STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP! It's no fluke that when Iggy plays with Sid and Duper we win win win. Iginla CAN NOT PLAY LW and neither can Neal. They get too confused and retarded out there. Esp Neal. He needs a boost right now and if you put Kuni back down there consistently I bet any of you $50 or 45 mins of non interupted oral sex that James Neal starts producing. It's an obvious fucking thing here. You put Iggy with Sid and Duper and leave the Geno Neal Kuni line in tact. Why the fuck does disco insist on messing with this?

Lemme get this straight....if you're right you receive and if you're wrong you give?

Hamsterkill
05-21-2013, 07:05 PM

I don't know about Neal, whom I think is more of a powerplay specialist than married to either particular wing... but I don't see your reasoning on Iginla. The guy's been productive all playoffs no matter which line he was playing on. He's third in scoring on the team behind Geno and Sid with 10 points in 9 games.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-21-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't know about Neal, whom I think is more of a powerplay specialist than married to either particular wing... but I don't see your reasoning on Iginla. The guy's been productive all playoffs no matter which line he was playing on. He's third in scoring on the team behind Geno and Sid with 10 points in 9 games.

It's Neal who is the headcase. Iggy has been good. Disco just needs to stop tinkering and leave L1 Dupe Sid Iggy and L2 Kuni Malkin Neal. Neal needs it & maybe even Geno.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Surgical.

Statement.

Onslaught.

Slaughter.

Who knew Penguins had killer instincts?!

Edit --

Welcome back Neal. Great to see him off the snide

Kyle
05-23-2013, 12:18 AM
lol 5 of the top 7 point scorers are Penguins players, all 5 at or above PPG with Kunitz and Martin also in the top 20 just 1 point shy of PPG. This Pens train is rolling.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
There were 30 MLB teams in action last night. 24 of them were outscored by an NHL team

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/970687_530172957041987_1047896868_n.png

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-24-2013, 06:09 PM
not sure who follows ahl hockey but man the baby pens and their epic comeback from down 3-0 and dominating in game 7 on the road against providence was pretty amazing. In the ecf now and looking good. pens org is so solid right now. love it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p480x480/971074_10151386641101384_1733438229_n.jpg

Thiessen!

Kyle
05-25-2013, 02:02 AM
That Vokoun character might be just a tiny bit better than Fleury with his 2nd place .941 save % and 3rd place 1.85 GAA. Its not even fair when he does it in front of the most dominant offense in the NHL who really just needed a goalie below 3 GAA. When he plays like hes playing this Penguins team, regardless of any defensive liabilities on the ice, are a borderline unstoppable powerhouse. If you can't score 4 against them your lead simply is not safe.

Doctego
05-25-2013, 10:33 AM
I am anxious to see how the Pens do moving forward. I thought that the Isles were a much tougher matchup for them. I didn't think that the Sens had much of a chance. While it certainly worked out like that, I would like to see how much was a much easier matchup for them and how much of it was better play from the net out. I think that it was a combination of the 2.