PDA

View Full Version : Capitals(3) vs. Rangers(6)

alias
04-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Rags in 5

Doctego
04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't think that the Rangers could beat anyone in 4-5 games. Caps in 7.

Hamsterkill
04-29-2013, 12:30 PM
If the Caps win, I think it'll be a quick series -- 4 or 5 games. If the Rangers win, I think it'll take a little longer -- 6 games. And I think Tortorella is going to be the difference in this one -- either for successfully solving Washington's offense, or for failing at doing so.

Rangers in 6. Giving Torts the benefit of the doubt here.

two24four
04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Rangers in 6.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-29-2013, 01:12 PM
rags in 5 lundy gonna be a stud

Kyle
04-29-2013, 02:39 PM
ahh, the Rangers...the most frequently ranked 6th-9th place team in NHL history. Aside from last year they always seem good but not good enough. This year is no different. The Capitals hit a ridiculous stride. Ovechkin turned a miserable season (Where I declared he was a career 70 point player. Oops) into the likely-MVP favorite campaign. The Capitals aren't ridiculously deep but they've gotten a lot of help from their lesser known depth guys anyway, I think their depth can hang out with the Rangers (Who tend to get overrated as a depth team because of their sheer lack of star power) and Ovy and Backstrom simply combine for too many goals.

that said, I'm not going to be that fool to count out the star potential of Richards, Nash, and Stephen too. I don't think its going to be easy but I think the Caps edge it out in 7, with Lundy stealing 1 or 2 and one extremely high scoring game.

Rocklobster
04-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Rags in 5. Screw you OV

Dubz
04-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Sorry guys. The Caps will beat the shit out of the Rags in 6 tops.

chgorman
04-30-2013, 09:13 AM
This is the toughest series for me to call. I could be mistaken, but don't the rags have the caps number in the playoffs over the past few yrs?

If WSH can solve Lundy consistently than WSH has a chance, but I like Lundy and NYR's D far more than any goalie or D WSH can put out there, and despite NYR's issues scoring this season, I like their chances of beating WSH's D and goalie consistently far more than I like WSH's chances of beating Lundy and NYR's D consistently.

I'll go NYR in 7

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
8 just got behind the D & missed a great break away. Flashes me back to a break away or two he had against the flower and pens back in other series, especially the hattrick dual sid vs alex. not sure if lundy got a toe on that or if ovie just missed the net. Rags up 1, would be great for them to steal a game in Wash. I really want this series to go 7. I humbly bow my head and eat crow, I really didn't think we would ever see Ovechkin play 100 pt season again. Mike Green is fantasy worthy again too. Seems Oates is just what the DR ordered in Washington. Good for them.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-02-2013, 08:06 PM
wow caps really taking over this game @ home

Kyle
05-02-2013, 08:06 PM
This game is fucking annoying. Thankfully the Caps have blown it open with two quick goals. I hate games like this where one team is brutalizing another 5 on 5 but the refs seem intent to give the weaker team every powerplay imaginable to help them stay in it. The Rangers should be losing 5-0, their compete level is pathetic right now.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-04-2013, 02:39 PM
wow what a deflection in 0-0 OT. Poor Lundy. Holtby playing great. Hell Oates has this entire team playing some good puck. Not much interest in this series tho eh?

Kyle
05-04-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm not talking much about it but I've been glued to the TV. Its been a good series. The Caps deserve the 2-0 lead. The Rangers need to get off Lundy's dick and start backing him up.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-06-2013, 04:51 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/603812_508007249248628_1603561555_n.jpg

gogoayane
05-06-2013, 05:17 PM
lol Steve Nash...

Doctego
05-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Just like Bill Belichick continues to have issues with his secondary, Tortorella continues to have issues with his PP. Both are supposed to be experts in those areas.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-06-2013, 06:09 PM
lol Steve Nash...

Good old ESPN, consistently providing us with excellent hockey coverage in the states :hahano:

Kyle
05-06-2013, 07:11 PM
You know, despite all the hype about his 60-goal pace, what I see when I watch Ovechkin play is his passing has improved immensely. He really needs a guy who can finish a play. Hes had sick set ups all series and seems to keep making difficult passes that show up cleanly in front of the net but whoever is there, usually this bum #90 whoever it is, just fails consistently to even steer the puck towards the net. Really could use another finisher.

phaneuf6
05-06-2013, 07:24 PM
You know, despite all the hype about his 60-goal pace, what I see when I watch Ovechkin play is his passing has improved immensely. He really needs a guy who can finish a play. Hes had sick set ups all series and seems to keep making difficult passes that show up cleanly in front of the net but whoever is there, usually this bum #90 whoever it is, just fails consistently to even steer the puck towards the net. Really could use another finisher.

Have some fucking respect Kyle. That's classless.

Kyle
05-06-2013, 07:31 PM
:lol: I can be a real prick. I should've thought about his family

Doctego
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
That was a great PK to end the game by the Rangers. No room to shoot.

nyrblue2
05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I used to like Ovechkin - the ridiculously dramatic attempts to draw penalties are getting real old.

Doctego
05-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I used to like Ovechkin - the ridiculously dramatic attempts to draw penalties are getting real old.

If you're referring to the play at the end of the game, I think it was smarter more than anything. They needed something to try to tie it up. People are spending too much time talking about high stick vs. dive. To me, it was an obvious slash that rode up high after contact.

nyrblue2
05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
64.1 Diving / Embellishment – Any player who blatantly dives, embellishes a fall or a reaction, or who feigns an injury shall be penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

Believe me, I know he's not the only one who does this (including the Rangers) - Dorsett (even if he is new) got called for a dive in game 2 (not on a high stick - marginal interference). And honestly, there's probably no black and white because embellishing is embellishing no matter the extent. But for whatever reason, I find myself less pissed about going down easier than you should compared to the theatrics he's been exhibiting lately. Last night was a slightly toned down version of this (can't find video of last night yet):

http://fnseanc.typepad.com/.a/6a0168e5984207970c017ee8cfed41970d-800wi

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-07-2013, 02:19 PM
If you're referring to the play at the end of the game, I think it was smarter more than anything. They needed something to try to tie it up. People are spending too much time talking about high stick vs. dive. To me, it was an obvious slash that rode up high after contact.

You know I didn't see the play you guys are referring to but reading through various comments in our playoff threads made me curious -- what is the defining difference between a dive ala Crosby in OT or a smart move @ the end of a game by AO ? honest question.

nyrblue2
05-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm guessing the common response is that Ovi was "drawing attention" to an already committed penalty (Richards had already slashed him in the shoulder), while Crosby "created" the penalty by going down how he did.

Doctego
05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
You know I didn't see the play you guys are referring to but reading through various comments in our playoff threads made me curious -- what is the defining difference between a dive ala Crosby in OT or a smart move @ the end of a game by AO ? honest question.

I didn't say that Crosby dove. I posted the pics that I saw on another non-hockey board. You responded and then we discussed his play. My main point is that I didn't like the timing of the call. Both guys went down too easy but it was smart of them.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-07-2013, 06:17 PM
I didn't say that Crosby dove. I posted the pics that I saw on another non-hockey board. You responded and then we discussed his play. My main point is that I didn't like the timing of the call. Both guys went down too easy but it was smart of them.

gotcha doc!

nyrblue2
05-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Heart attack. Took till game 4, but I think the Rangers finally controlled the play in that one, even thought the Caps definitely had some stretches where the had the Rangers pinned.

Hamsterkill
05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Heart attack. Took till game 4, but I think the Rangers finally controlled the play in that one, even thought the Caps definitely had some stretches where the had the Rangers pinned.

I'm still not optimistic for the Rangers (though I'm certainly rooting for you). I'm not sure how many times in a seven game series the Rangers can score 4 goals or more. I still think the series is going to depend on whether the Rangers can neutralize the Caps offense.

nyrblue2
05-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Hilarious, but yikes...

http://imgius.com/photos/20130509136808541567205.gif

Doctego
05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm still not optimistic for the Rangers (though I'm certainly rooting for you). I'm not sure how many times in a seven game series the Rangers can score 4 goals or more. I still think the series is going to depend on whether the Rangers can neutralize the Caps offense.

Agreed. I was just thinking today that I think that the Rangers will probably win this series now but I have no faith that they will beat any of the remaining teams in the next round.

Dubz
05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Hilarious, but yikes...

:$

Kyle
05-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Thats an embarrassing gif but its overdramatic. There were 4 capitals down low in the play already. It wasn't Ovechkin's job to join the backcheck and unfortunately hes almost always coasting around the point like that waiting for one of the other 4 to send him on a fast break the other way. He rarely goes deeper into his zone than his own blue line and clearly wasn't responsible for the open man in front of the net. It definitely looked like he could've done a little bit more to hustle in that direction but he wasn't gonna get there - the give and go developed lightning quick and there was only a second or two from the time he got open to the time the puck sunk in the net.\

Not defending his defensive game, just saying that isn't some miraculous display of laziness, thats a routine play for a lot of players in this league. We have cherry pickers everywhere in this league who don't play defense, on at least half the teams out there. Ovy is a hardcore cherry picker.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Hilarious, but yikes...

lol

nyrblue2
05-13-2013, 09:04 AM
I don't know if my body can handle another game tonight.

Hamsterkill
05-13-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't know if my body can handle another game tonight.

Didn't get a chance to see this series over the weekend. What was different in the last two games to make them so low-scoring? Were the Caps just not executing? Did the Rangers defense figure out the Caps' offense? Or did Lundy just stand on his head?

nyrblue2
05-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Caps only had 2 PP chances on Friday, none last night. I certainly don't think that's entirely what kept scoring down, but it sure helps keeping the Caps PP off the ice. Shots (all shots - on net, blocked, missed) were a lot lower last night both ways. Lundqvist has been standing on his head all series - the Caps have had a lot of deflections/tips and good bounces that have beaten him (Green's OT winner in game 2, Backstrom and Beagle's goals in game 3, Perrault's goal in game 4 were all tips/deflections - Ribiero's OT winner in game 5 was a good bounce). I dunno, I don't think the games were largely different - things just bounced different ways. I guess the Rangers have been playing more physical with stronger forechecks lately, so if that tilts the game towards their favor, it's naturally going to be lower scoring.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-13-2013, 06:23 PM
shoot i dislike both of these teams but love the Pens chances against the Rags in any future match ups.. but whatever. Hope it's a good game. AO better bring it.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Another stellar playoff season in DC. Embarrassed in your own house. Maybe they can put up a banner for Ovech 14 or so hits.

nyrblue2
05-14-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm obviously happy with the win (and the fact I didn't have to feel like I was on the verge of a heart attack again), but what an anti-climactic way to end an awesome series - real fun to watch and I'm sure it was even if you weren't a fan of either team. The only thing I was worried about all game was someone getting hurt by OV's borderline boarding hits nearly every shift (still surprised the one on McDonagh wasn't called - other ones in this and previous games were close) - the Caps didn't really have any of those shifts where they dominated and pinned the Rangers like they did in earlier games - solid play, but honestly nothing spectacular by Lundqvist like it was on Sunday. NYR-WAS is turning into a pretty good modern day rivalry with all the playoff meetings they've had lately. I'm sure they'll be many more.

Hamsterkill
05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Not sure what it is about the Caps and game 7's.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-14-2013, 01:27 PM
AO = overrated & until he starts getting it done when it really matters nothing is going to change my harm. Hart trophy candidate, what a joke. Give it to JT before you give it to this scrub!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-14-2013, 06:23 PM
AO just gets more and more likable

"Not saying there was a phone call, but they wanted Game 7," Ovechkin reportedly said in Russian, translated and tweeted by Slava Malamud, a senior writer for Russian sports daily Sports-Express. "For ratings. You know, lockout, escrow, league must make profit."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ovechkin-suggests-nhl-conspiracy-force-game-7-article-1.1343606#ixzz2TJQUItKf

nyrblue2
05-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Yea that was pretty lame to hear when it came out a couple days ago. Tortorella got fined $20k when he suggested (rather, hinted at) a league/ref conspiracy or whatever - will be interesting to see if the league has the same stance with a star player.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Yea that was pretty lame to hear when it came out a couple days ago. Tortorella got fined $20k when he suggested (rather, hinted at) a league/ref conspiracy or whatever - will be interesting to see if the league has the same stance with a star player.

As a Caps fan those comments would embarrass me more than the perpetual game 7 collapses. Is it time to gut the team ?

Hamsterkill
05-15-2013, 02:55 PM
As a Caps fan those comments would embarrass me more than the perpetual game 7 collapses. Is it time to gut the team ?

The Caps fans I work with said just that.

Kyle
05-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Double

Kyle
05-15-2013, 03:04 PM
PA-THE-TIC by Ovy. What a fucking loser, from the bottom to the top and right back down to the bottom faster than anybody I've ever seen. Thats just in response to his comments. I have worse to say about his play throughout the second half of this series when it meant most, when he had two chances to seal a round 1 win against a team that initially looked like they couldn't hang beyond their goalie. Boy were we wrong. I said "The Rangers need to wake the fuck up and get off Lundy's dick" after game 2 or 3. Well, that sure happened. They started scoring goals and game 7 was particularly disastrous It makes no sense how Washington can get lapped like that for 60 minutes by the Rangers. They're just too talented on paper over that Rangers team to never sustain offensive zone pressure. Embarrassing

Kudos to the Rangers. Great job. But I think the story of this series will be less about how the Rangers and Lundy stole it from the Caps, and more about how the Caps kind of gave it away. I know theres no way to say that without sounding somewhat negative towards the Rangers but I really don't feel, until game 7, they played this amazing playoff series where they deserved to march on. I feel like Washington really buried themselves but we'll find out in round 2 how much was due to the Rangers skill and how much was due to Washington's collapse.

Exciting playoff series for sure. Unpredictable.