PDA

View Full Version : Canadiens(2) vs Senators(7)

alias
04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Habs in 6!

phaneuf6
04-29-2013, 12:00 PM
I like the Sens here. I think Erik Karlsson is the best "deadline" addition any team could have made. Combine that with a healthy Craig Anderson (and a more than capable backup should he falter) and the rivalry of Sens-Habs and I'll take Ottawa with the upset.

alias
04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
A lot of interesting matchups here:

Price vs Anderson
Subban vs Karlsson
Markov vs Gonchar
Tinordi vs Cowen
Gallagher vs Conacher
Prust vs Neil
Gionta vs Alfredsson
Galchenyuk vs. Zibenajad

These teams are pretty similar....

Hamsterkill
04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Hm... With Spezza the only piece missing from Ottawa now, this one is really hard to predict...

I'm gonna say Montreal in 7 here -- home team winning every game.

Doctego
04-29-2013, 12:12 PM
I would love for Ottawa to win but I'll go with the Habs in 7.

two24four
04-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Habs in 6.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Sens lucky they got Karlsson back in time! Habs in 7 tho.

Kyle
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Habs couldn't get the better of the season series without Karlsson. It was close but Ottawa had a clear edge. with Karlsson its overwhelming in their favor to me. Karlsson is a crosby-level impact on the ice. Sens in 6, they'll win 1 out of 3 games in Montreal and sweep their 3 home games.

** I do want to include though, that regardless how good Anderson's numbers are, I want to say I won't be surprised at all to see Carey Price make a fool out of me and own this series for Montreal. Won't be slightly shocked, because he just looks that good this year.

gogoayane
04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Sens in 6! Getting Karlsson back and healthy is huge for the team. Well rest Karlsson and Anderson vs a recently-sloppy Price... Looking good :)

Rocklobster
04-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Habs in 6.

alias
04-30-2013, 12:39 AM
In his 11 last games vs OTT, Carey Price’s record is:
8-0-3, .952, 1.49.
His last regulation loss was on November 6th 2010

Dubz
04-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Hopefully its OTT in 4 :lol: but i think realistically the team may win a game or two for Price.

chgorman
04-30-2013, 09:20 AM
I like OTT in 6 here. I don't like OTT's chances if it goes to 7 with gm 7 in MTL.

alias
05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Some motivation for tonight.....go Habs go!!!!

“We’re a far better team. We’ve got much more talent. But the Canadiens weren’t afraid of that talent.” – Derek Sanderson Post Game 7 1971.

“You gotta take any break you get, look around here, you don’t win so many Stanley Cups for nothing… – Wayne Gretzky 1993 Stanley Cup Finals Game 2

“When you play the Montreal Canadiens in the finals, forget it, you do not even want to be the stick boy facing them.” – Phil Esposito Stanley Cup Finals 1979.

I could never believe this team (Flyers) could be beaten four straight. – Bobby Clarke Stanley Cup Finals 1976

“Any excuses we could come up with would be bull,” said Boston Captain Wayne Cashman. “It all came down to one thing. The Canadiens are so bleeping good!”

Name your game, baby, and the Montreal Canadiens will beat you. If you want to play hockey on the pond, the Canadiens will outskate you. If you want to play it on the docks, the Canadiens will outslug you. And if all you want to do is sit at home and play Blue Line Hockey, General Manager Sam Pollock and Coach Scotty Bowman will show up in your living room with loaded dice. – Sports Illustrated 1977

A kid (Subban) called up from the AHL logs the most ice time of any player on either team. He finishes the night at +2 and puts a lick in on the world’s best player.

Years from now, bleary-eyed coaches in video rooms will still be deconstructing the tactics Jacques Martin and his grew have used against Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby. – Mike Boone Montreal Gazette

Name another team in the playoffs that was forced to play an elimination game without three of their top six defencemen at their disposal. Without James Wisniewski, without Josh Gorges, without Andrei Markov, this team isn’t nearly good enough to play for a Cup, but they can hang with the Bruins. These are your Canadiens; a team of warriors. – Eric Engels CTV

If he needs someone to take a crucial faceoff, he calls Plekanec. When the Habs are facing a two-man disadvantage, Plekanec gets the nod. Need someone to hold a one-goal lead with a minute to go? Get Plekanec. Short a point man on the PP? Send out #14. Got a slumping winger? Stick him on Plekanec’s line.

“The guy’s been standing up for us. He’s been outstanding for us for years. And this isn’t on him, are you kidding me? This is on all of us. – Josh Gorges

“The game is not played on the weight scale, it’s not a number on a piece of paper. It’s not won in the gym, either,” he said. “It’s won on the ice – Lars Eller

“Gallagher is a machine out there, going and going. He’s a little bulldog who creates so much havoc and space and does so many good things. – Lars Eller

They may be undermanned and undersized, and for all we know, they may be undernourished and underdressed, but people will never, ever question the will of the Montreal Canadiens.
- Scott Burnside ESPN.com

We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure,” Michel Therrien

“I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there (the Bell Centre). I am not sure I have that feeling anywhere else.” – PK Subban

Kyle
05-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Some motivation for tonight.....go Habs go!!!!

“We’re a far better team. We’ve got much more talent. But the Canadiens weren’t afraid of that talent.” – Derek Sanderson Post Game 7 1971.

“You gotta take any break you get, look around here, you don’t win so many Stanley Cups for nothing… – Wayne Gretzky 1993 Stanley Cup Finals Game 2

“When you play the Montreal Canadiens in the finals, forget it, you do not even want to be the stick boy facing them.” – Phil Esposito Stanley Cup Finals 1979.

I could never believe this team (Flyers) could be beaten four straight. – Bobby Clarke Stanley Cup Finals 1976

“Any excuses we could come up with would be bull,” said Boston Captain Wayne Cashman. “It all came down to one thing. The Canadiens are so bleeping good!”

Name your game, baby, and the Montreal Canadiens will beat you. If you want to play hockey on the pond, the Canadiens will outskate you. If you want to play it on the docks, the Canadiens will outslug you. And if all you want to do is sit at home and play Blue Line Hockey, General Manager Sam Pollock and Coach Scotty Bowman will show up in your living room with loaded dice. – Sports Illustrated 1977

A kid (Subban) called up from the AHL logs the most ice time of any player on either team. He finishes the night at +2 and puts a lick in on the world’s best player.

Years from now, bleary-eyed coaches in video rooms will still be deconstructing the tactics Jacques Martin and his grew have used against Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby. – Mike Boone Montreal Gazette

Name another team in the playoffs that was forced to play an elimination game without three of their top six defencemen at their disposal. Without James Wisniewski, without Josh Gorges, without Andrei Markov, this team isn’t nearly good enough to play for a Cup, but they can hang with the Bruins. These are your Canadiens; a team of warriors. – Eric Engels CTV

If he needs someone to take a crucial faceoff, he calls Plekanec. When the Habs are facing a two-man disadvantage, Plekanec gets the nod. Need someone to hold a one-goal lead with a minute to go? Get Plekanec. Short a point man on the PP? Send out #14. Got a slumping winger? Stick him on Plekanec’s line.

“The guy’s been standing up for us. He’s been outstanding for us for years. And this isn’t on him, are you kidding me? This is on all of us. – Josh Gorges

“The game is not played on the weight scale, it’s not a number on a piece of paper. It’s not won in the gym, either,” he said. “It’s won on the ice – Lars Eller

“Gallagher is a machine out there, going and going. He’s a little bulldog who creates so much havoc and space and does so many good things. – Lars Eller

They may be undermanned and undersized, and for all we know, they may be undernourished and underdressed, but people will never, ever question the will of the Montreal Canadiens.
- Scott Burnside ESPN.com

We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure,” Michel Therrien

“I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there (the Bell Centre). I am not sure I have that feeling anywhere else.” – PK Subban

Christ almighty, never in my life have I wanted a team to lose more in a series I otherwise would never have given the slightest fuck about. :lol: I almost threw up in my mouth :D

Like I said...no one in the East wanted anything to do with the Sens with a fresh Karlsson. Didn't take him long to establish why. That was a good 1st period both ways.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Christ almighty, never in my life have I wanted a team to lose more in a series I otherwise would never have given the slightest fuck about. :lol: I almost threw up in my mouth :D

Like I said...no one in the East wanted anything to do with the Sens with a fresh Karlsson. Didn't take him long to establish why. That was a good 1st period both ways.

The guy is unreal. I think he had like 70% of his achilles torn in that freak ACCIDENT. Thank goodness it wasn't more & that he was able to rehab back to good health. As a fan of the game I am so happy he was able to get back in time for the playoffs. I want to see the best out there and of course see my boys beat them all. Don't want to get ahead of myself but Pens Sens? God knows he & rest of team will have a MAJOR chip if the Sens/Pens meet up. Would be a hell of a series. A hell of a series. Anyway lot of first round puck left to be played.

alias
05-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Anderson is bailing his team out big time.....not even halfway through the game and Montreal has 24 shots on goal. Their speed has really exposed the Sens defense....

alias
05-02-2013, 07:20 PM

Good. We feed off the hate :D

Kyle
05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Wow, that Sens powerplay was the sorriest thing I've ever seen.

Edit - Yikes, gorgeous goal by Montreal immediately after. Thats the only kind of shot that was going to beat anderson tonight. Did Ottawa forget to put on their skates this period? This is pathetic. Montreal is absolutely annihilating the Sens.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-02-2013, 07:47 PM
hope eller is okay

Kyle
05-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Jesus. Go home Ottawa. You fucking checked out. 90 seconds of 5 on 3

alias
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM
That might've been the most dominant period of playoff hockey I've ever seen from Montreal....

Really hope Eller is okay....13 points in his last 12 games, that line was really clicking for us lately....he lost some chicklets for sure there. looked like he was unconscious when he hit the ice.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-02-2013, 08:00 PM
the power of youtube. instant access.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNOwP3fUW6c&feature=youtu.be

Kyle
05-02-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't think thats a suspension worthy hit, 1 game tops, it was a reckless collision but it was clearly an unfortunate play for the most part.

Suspend the D-man who set him up to be destroyed. That play is as much on him as the player throwing the check.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't think thats a suspension worthy hit, 1 game tops, it was a reckless collision but it was clearly an unfortunate play for the most part.

Suspend the D-man who set him up to be destroyed. That play is as much on him as the player throwing the check.

yeah for sure a dangerous pass. oops!

so much blood. he will be out a while.

Kyle
05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
The Sens should feel really lucky this isn't a 4-1 game right now. They don't belong in a 1 shot game but they better salvage some dignity and take advantage of this chance in the third.

Montreal is such a fast team. And that Gallagher kid, I will concede, is simply beastly.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Eller suffered a broken nose and concussed, per HNIC.

alias
05-02-2013, 08:25 PM

agreed. it was kinda blindside but otherwise a completely clean hit.

Kyle
05-02-2013, 08:29 PM
WTF...I eat dinner and Montreal is down 3-2?

alias
05-02-2013, 09:00 PM
very uncharacteristic to give up a lead going into the 3rd. that flukey 4th goal was a killer. they really missed eller's strong 2 way play in the 3rd, they looked totally different out there getting outshot 12-9....we'll see how they fill that hole. anderson cant keep this up seeing 50 shots a game....can he?

Kyle
05-02-2013, 09:07 PM
That was a weird game. Nothing for the Habs to be ashamed of but carey price has to shape up.

alias
05-02-2013, 09:42 PM
reminded me of the 2010 Habs who upset Washington & Pittsburgh while being vastly outshot and relied on a hot goaltender.

alias
05-03-2013, 07:59 AM
so apparantly one of the Ottawa papers has a picture of Eller bleeding on the front page with the caption "Sens draw first blood" Stay classy Ottawa. You too MacLean...go fuck yourself.

chgorman
05-03-2013, 08:27 AM
so apparantly one of the Ottawa papers has a picture of Eller bleeding on the front page with the caption "Sens draw first blood" Stay classy Ottawa. You too MacLean...go fuck yourself.

The Ottawa newspaper thing is incredibly distasteful, but what's your beef with McLean? All he said was that Diaz sui'ed Eller, which is the truth. He didn't say it maliciously, he just stated the facts. It was a clean hit that would have never happened if Diaz doesn't set Eller up for that hit with the brutal suicide pass he fed him. That's all McLean was saying, and he was right. I don't see what your problem is with that.

alias
05-03-2013, 08:56 AM
The Ottawa newspaper thing is incredibly distasteful, but what's your beef with McLean? All he said was that Diaz sui'ed Eller, which is the truth. He didn't say it maliciously, he just stated the facts. It was a clean hit that would have never happened if Diaz doesn't set Eller up for that hit with the brutal suicide pass he fed him. That's all McLean was saying, and he was right. I don't see what your problem is with that.

he said:
"was it Eller that got hit?" - fuck off you know exactly who was hit
"player 61 whoever he is" - seriously? you don't know the players on the opposing team that you're going into a 7 game series with?

He showed an incredible lack of respect to Eller & Diaz in that interview. All he needed to say was "it looked like a clean hit and it's unfortunate Eller was hurt, we hope he's okay." For the opposing coach to call out a MTL player when a MTL player got hurt is ridiculous. It's not his place to say that. Even his body language in that interview it was like he was thinking "no big deal, it wasn't our guys fault". He didn't show any sympathy for a guy who we have no idea how bad his injury is. Broken nose, lost teeth and possible concussion. Everyone responds to a concussion differently and this hit could affect the rest of Eller's career. Clean hit or not have some respect.

edit: also impressed at how Therrien handled it. The Therrien of 2002 would have blown up like he did with Justin Williams that year.

two24four
05-03-2013, 09:33 AM
I could be wrong....but I think he said "player #61 whoever he is" because he felt bad for him and did not want to use his name.

MacLean didn't say anything that most broadcasters hadn't already said.

alias
05-03-2013, 09:37 AM
MacLean didn't say anything that most broadcasters hadn't already said.

But that is a broadcasters job. Point the finger at the opposing player when your guy gets hurt sure, but nobody on Ottawa got hurt, nobody thought Gryba's hit was excessively dirty, it was an unfortunate circumstance. It is not his place to point the finger. There was no need for him to say anything beyond what I said above. I really hope MTL posts up that video in the dressing room and they use that as motivation. This series is going to be good.

phaneuf6
05-03-2013, 10:28 AM
But that is a broadcasters job. Point the finger at the opposing player when your guy gets hurt sure, but nobody on Ottawa got hurt, nobody thought Gryba's hit was excessively dirty, it was an unfortunate circumstance. It is not his place to point the finger. There was no need for him to say anything beyond what I said above. I really hope MTL posts up that video in the dressing room and they use that as motivation. This series is going to be good.

So sensitive, jesus. He can say what he wants, he's the coach. Coaches make comments about the opposition all the time.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I agree it was rather tasteless. Don't really see how any of you guys are disagreeing with that. Oh wait, yes I do see how. Leafers. ;)

two24four
05-03-2013, 10:39 AM
I agree it was rather tasteless. Don't really see how any of you guys are disagreeing with that. Oh wait, yes I do see how. Leafers. ;)

We are but....these are the Leafs two biggest rivals. For me anyways this series is 50/50 in terms of dislike.

alias
05-03-2013, 10:45 AM
So sensitive, jesus. He can say what he wants, he's the coach. Coaches make comments about the opposition all the time.

I can't think of a single occurence of a coach blaming an opposing player for another opposing player's injury and being so non-chalant about a serious injury. I'd love for you to prove me wrong though....

Kyle
05-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Last night was a weird night of hockey. We both had to watch our teams collapse after playing their best games of the season. Luckily the Wings barely pulled it out because of a powerplay, but I definitely understand the frustration and a little thing like that tasteless comment by a coach would've set me off too!

We are but....these are the Leafs two biggest rivals. For me anyways this series is 50/50 in terms of dislike.

haha, oh yeah, its easy to forget Ottawa exists sometimes

toronto1979
05-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Captain Picard is a Habs fan?!?! But he's British, he's supposed to hate the French.

Patrick Stewart ‏@SirPatStew (https://twitter.com/SirPatStew) 15h (https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/330130711417876481) This close! WHY didn't I bring my skates! pic.twitter.com/o4XamSkTJL (http://t.co/o4XamSkTJL)

alias
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Captain Picard is a Habs fan?!?! But he's British, he's supposed to hate the French.

We're everywhere! :evilgrin: We even got Banya!

http://fans.canadiens.nhl.com/community/topic/16868-famous-habs-fans/

We even got Viggo Mortensen doing some recruiting....

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zhTvITCgc6DC6qFRuoYSqQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzIwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NjMwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zMjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/153/2012/10/18/ViggoHabs-jpg_155853.jpg (http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zhTvITCgc6DC6qFRuoYSqQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzIwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NjMwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zMjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/153/2012/10/18/ViggoHabs-jpg_155853.jpg)

wendel_
05-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Haha I may hate both Ottawa and Montreal, but I love Brandon Prust. And if I thought I loved him before, it's confirmed with this quote today, "We don't really care what the bug-eyed fat walrus has to say". Amazing

alias
05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Haha I may hate both Ottawa and Montreal, but I love Brandon Prust. And if I thought I loved him before, it's confirmed with this quote today, "We don't really care what the bug-eyed fat walrus has to say". Amazing

You're listening to the Fan 590 aren't ya? lol Love how they say he should show some respect to MacLean. While Prust maybe shouldn't have said it, MacLean will get respect when he gives respect.

http://nesn.com/2013/05/canadiens-forward-brandon-prust-calls-senators-coach-paul-maclean-a-bug-eyed-fat-walrus/

Pacioretty & Gionta out tonight along with Eller obviously. That hurts. Halpern, Armstrong & probably Blunden will fill in. Price needs to steal this game.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
:lol: :lol: I died laughing. thats brilliant.

Price needs to steal this game.

Eh, if anderson isn't superman the Habs score 5-6 goals. The game went fine. The third period was weak but the Habs don't need to adjust much or put pressure on Price.

wendel_
05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Haha I actually just finished up lunch break/turned it off before they started talking about that I guess. I think the only reason he maybe shouldn't have said it has nothing to do with respect, but it's maybe something the sens can use as fuel. But in terms of entertainment that is gold.

Pacioretty especially is going to be a tough loss. Tough luck for sure. Glad to see Colby getting a chance though

alias
05-03-2013, 12:18 PM
oh another Prust quote regarding Gryba "i hope he isn't suspended" .... this will be the game of the night....

and what therrien said to the media regarding MacLean's comments a couple hours ago was spot on.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 12:25 PM
People need to understand it was a 5 minute major and game misconduct. If hes not suspended, it doesn't suddenly absolve any wrong doing. It wasn't a totally clean it. It was a blind side with the head as a principal point of contact. The rules forbid the hit he threw. It wasn't deliberate and based on that I wouldn't suspend him but it was reckless, he did earn the penalty/misconduct, so the coach should salvage a bit of class and simply shut his fucking big mouth about anything beyond "I hope hes okay." Simple as that. Say that and go about your merry fuckin business. You won the game! What kind of bullshit salt in the wound is that? Please advise the guy in the hospital bed to be angry at his teammate a little more. Really? What a fucking joke of a professional.

toronto1979
05-03-2013, 12:36 PM
We even got Viggo Mortensen doing some recruiting....

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zhTvITCgc6DC6qFRuoYSqQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzIwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NjMwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zMjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/153/2012/10/18/ViggoHabs-jpg_155853.jpg (http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zhTvITCgc6DC6qFRuoYSqQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzIwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NjMwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zMjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/153/2012/10/18/ViggoHabs-jpg_155853.jpg)
Forget Viggo, I like Keira :drool:

alias
05-03-2013, 01:26 PM
you can hear the audio from Prust & Therrien here....you have to scroll down a bit for the links....

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-hold-morning-meeting-ahead-of-game-2

skip to 1:40 of the Therrien clip for english....

phaneuf6
05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
I can't think of a single occurence of a coach blaming an opposing player for another opposing player's injury and being so non-chalant about a serious injury. I'd love for you to prove me wrong though....

He didn't blame anyone. He just called it how it was. A suicide pass up the middle to a player with his head down.

Is Eller suddenly the first player to ever get a concussion? He lost a couple teeth and got a concussion. So what. Jesus Christ, anywhere but Montreal and nobody is talking about this today. Therrien with his 'respect for the family' bullshit too. Wise up.

To top it all off, it was a clean hit. You guys were all alive when Scott Stevens was playing...I'm sure back then you would've applauded the hit, but nowadays anything more than a small check along the boards raises uproar. It's retarded. Check this out if you're sick of all the hitting...lots of teams around: http://www.cwhl.ca/view/cwhl

Hamsterkill
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Not completely clean... Head was at least partially an initial point of impact (which is against the rules now). I expect Gryba will sit a game or maybe two.

alias
05-03-2013, 02:43 PM
He didn't blame anyone. He just called it how it was. A suicide pass up the middle to a player with his head down.

Is Eller suddenly the first player to ever get a concussion? He lost a couple teeth and got a concussion. So what. Jesus Christ, anywhere but Montreal and nobody is talking about this today. Therrien with his 'respect for the family' bullshit too. Wise up.

To top it all off, it was a clean hit. You guys were all alive when Scott Stevens was playing...I'm sure back then you would've applauded the hit, but nowadays anything more than a small check along the boards raises uproar. It's retarded. Check this out if you're sick of all the hitting...lots of teams around: http://www.cwhl.ca/view/cwhl

listen to prust & therrien from today then look at the hit again. it was blindside....eller having his head up wouldnt have changed a thing. gryba could have made contact with the near shoulder but instead chose to go to the far shoulder which takes him across ellers body and face. look up rule 48 while youre at it. grybas shoulder hits ellers jaw. the jaw is his head. thats not legal. scott stevens hit guys head on. thats not even a comparable to this.....try again. and news flash....they're trying to get away from the hits of the 90's and before.

not sure if you relized it but the family comment was not in regards to the hit, it was in regards to maclean's comments

and I am 100% certain that if this hit happens in Toronto the media and backlash would be equal if not worse. put aside your hatred for the Habs and get a clue man

oh, and I'm still waiting to see your proof of coaches talking like this "all the time"

Dubz
05-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I think he served his penalty. It wasnt dirty or intentional. If he gets more than a game (i would disagree but could understand) it maybe time to readdress the process LOL

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=NHL+Discipline&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=7409FB93070B293500D7BB624786E93F484B6455&selectedIndex=96

phaneuf6
05-03-2013, 03:00 PM
listen to prust & therrien from today then look at the hit again. it was blindside....eller having his head up wouldnt have changed a thing. gryba could have made contact with the near shoulder but instead chose to go to the far shoulder which takes him across ellers body and face. look up rule 48 while youre at it. grybas shoulder hits ellers jaw. the jaw is his head. thats not legal. scott stevens hit guys head on. thats not even a comparable to this.....try again. and news flash....they're trying to get away from the hits of the 90's and before.

not sure if you relized it but the family comment was not in regards to the hit, it was in regards to maclean's comments

and I am 100% certain that if this hit happens in Toronto the media and backlash would be equal if not worse. put aside your hatred for the Habs and get a clue man

oh, and I'm still waiting to see your proof of coaches talking like this "all the time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7ImcOYqOk

Well I mean here's an easy one...

Family comments, I know it was in regards to his comments. Absolutely irrelevant.

I can almost guarantee it wouldn't stir up this kind of thing in Toronto. We're talking about a city where the police tried to press charges against Chara for hitting Pacioretty too hard two years ago for fuck sakes.

And am I really supposed to sit there and listen to Prust/Therrien describe the hit and go on what they say? There's no objectivity there at all.

Here's rule 48 for you.

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

He put himself in a pretty vulnerable position from where I'm sitting. Head wasn't the principal point of contact, just collateral damage. Maybe I'm watching a different replay from everybody else? But don't let me explain. Take it from an actual referee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83qHq-RgEGM

Dubz
05-03-2013, 03:09 PM
I can almost guarantee it wouldn't stir up this kind of thing in Toronto. We're talking about a city where the police tried to press charges against Chara for hitting Pacioretty too hard two years ago for fuck sakes.

:lol::lol::lol:

alias
05-03-2013, 03:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7ImcOYqOk

Well I mean here's an easy one...

Try again. It's a different situation. Thats a NYR coach talking about the opposing player being at fault for hitting HIS player. MacLean was talking about an opposing player being at fault for the OPPOSING players injury.

seriously? the TORONTO media is all over this story. You mean to tell me that if it was Grabovski that got decimated there would be less attention to it? You're delusional!

Here's rule 48 for you.

He put himself in a pretty vulnerable position from where I'm sitting. Head wasn't the principal point of contact, just collateral damage. Maybe I'm watching a different replay from everybody else? But don't let me explain. Take it from an actual referee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83qHq-RgEGM

I can bold things too to help make my point....

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

He could have went for the puck instead of the body. He could have went for the near shoulder instead of going for the bigger hit. The circumstances that Gryba was going into gve him much better choices than the one he took. Gryba's shoulder hit Eller's jaw. Whether it was intentional or not is irrelevant. He hit Eller's head. There's no other way to explain the fact that he was unconscious BEFORE he hit the ice. Head contact WAS AVOIDABLE. That's why Gryba got 2 games. Then in your video McKenzie comapres it to the Landeskog hit. Again that is a head-on hit, not blindside, its a different circumstance.

The problem with the game today is that a clean hit and a legal hit are not always the same thing. The rules are fuzzy. They need to do what the NFL has done and ban any contact to the head, principal or not.

Hamsterkill
05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
LeBrun reporting that Gryba got 2 games. On the harsh end of what I expected, but reasonable.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9239716/senators-eric-gryba-gets-2-game-suspension-hit-lars-eller-source-says

boredguy
05-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't think it should have even been a penalty so a 2 game suspension is ridiculous. He got more body than head in the hit, so head definitely wasn't targeted or principal point of contact. Penalty and suspension is all cause of the result and how it looked with Eller bleeding all over the ice. No one wants to see that happen to a player but punishing a guy for it when he did nothing wrong is absurd.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
The game misconduct and 2 game suspension pretty much factually says that this was not a legal hit. Phaneuf, your problem is with the rules, and you simply used them incorrectly to make your case. Yes, it was a clean hit by traditional standards (You're an extremely traiditonal guy with your views on hockey, a tough guy, not knocking you at all but you are). Yes, it is a hit that should be allowed in hockey. No, the rules as they are written do NOT allow it, period. So if a clean hit is a fair hit according to the rules, then this was not a clean hit. Period. Theres literally no disagreeing because the guys who make the rules and understand and interpret them at a far more advanced level than we do, decided it deserved a 2 day suspension. Again, I agree that its wrong that the rules are written that way, but those are the rules as they are written.

TBH, the leauge was under no pressure to suspend anybody. Everybody from analysts to fans of other teams have said they don't think it needs a suspension. The league isn't appeasing anybody based on blood on the ice. Thats a cheap cop-out. The league punished what they clearly factually determined to be an illegal hit the way they saw fit.

Nick Kronwall has passed out his share of concussions. Theres a reason hes never received a suspension despite throwing 5-6 harder hits than that every year of his career. Not 1 suspension for literally 30+ dramatic hits to the head. Because THOSE are instances where your bolded quotes become relevant, Phaneuf. Not this one.

I really didn't think it needed a suspension but I nor anyone here understands the rule as well as we wish we did. The wording only implies so much. But it was clearly an illegal hit, clearly not a clean hit. Theres no debating that - The refs watched it plenty of times before the game misconduct, the league watched it plenty of times before the 2 day suspension. No room to slip in a valid opinion disagreeing with that.

boredguy
05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Factually? lol. League gets so many calls and suspensions wrong them weighing in doesn't change anything.

Hamsterkill
05-03-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't think it should have even been a penalty so a 2 game suspension is ridiculous. He got more body than head in the hit, so head definitely wasn't targeted or principal point of contact. Penalty and suspension is all cause of the result and how it looked with Eller bleeding all over the ice. No one wants to see that happen to a player but punishing a guy for it when he did nothing wrong is absurd.

You seem to be acknowledging that the head was hit on the hit, which makes it a principal point of contact. If the head only got hit in follow-through or because of whiplash, the hit is legal, but he caught part of Eller's head along with the chest that he was aiming for, making the hit illegal under current rules (it was a principal point of contact).

I don't think anyone is arguing he was targeting the head (well, outside of Quebec, anyways), but lack of intent doesn't make the hit legal or less suspendable under the current rules. Intent only makes such an offense more suspendable.

boredguy
05-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Principal point doesn't mean that if the head gets hit at all in the initial check it's illegal. There's been a lot of hits this year where the head gets hit and it's not a suspension, because they get mostly body.

You seem to be acknowledging that the head was hit on the hit, which makes it a principal point of contact. If the head only got hit in follow-through or because of whiplash, the hit is legal, but he caught part of Eller's head along with the chest that he was aiming for, making the hit illegal under current rules (it was a principal point of contact).

I don't think anyone is arguing he was targeting the head (well, outside of Quebec, anyways), but lack of intent doesn't make the hit legal. or less suspendable under the current rules. Intent only makes such an offense more suspendable.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 04:44 PM
They made the perfectly correct call according to the rules. Disagree with 5 refs and the NHL disciplinary team all you want, I repeat this is not comparable to any suspensions because 1: The NHL HAS done a great job cleaning up the game 2) Suspensions are WAY down this year 3) Therefor there was no pressure to appease anybody my making this call. None whatsoever. Last years playoffs, if this occurs, sure you make the argument that the NHL might've overreacted to the ridiculous head hunting spree that occurred in the first round. This time its totally unfair to cop out by saying this was done because of blood on the ice. The league looks clean regardless how this hit was punished and EVERY analyst/insider (Who only understand the rules as well as we do) would've supported the NHL in NOT suspending him, so if anything they were under more pressure to NOT suspend anybody for the sake of the league's image.

All those factors say yes, factually, this hit was punished properly according to the rules. TBH I think you went to great lengths to invalidate yourself by saying it shouldn't have even been a penalty. Thats just fools talk. I'll respect the opinion that it didn't deserve a suspension but no penalty is just absurd. Anything short of the 5 minute major and game misconduct would've been absurd.

Hamsterkill
05-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Principal point doesn't mean that if the head gets hit at all in the initial check it's illegal. There's been a lot of hits this year where the head gets hit and it's not a suspension, because they get mostly body.

Can you provide an example?

Kyle
05-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I do think this entire incident calls for better clarification on the rules of head shots. The fans and insiders/analysts shouldn't be so out of sync with the disciplinary crew.

Very few of us predicted this properly.

boredguy
05-03-2013, 04:54 PM
So let's just say i'm right and it's not an illegal hit to the head, what is the penalty to call there? How does that invalidate anything? I'm either right that it's not an illegal hit to the head in which case he should've gotten no punishment including any penalty or i'm wrong and he deserved everything.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 04:57 PM
The explanation by the league is full on, Gryba simply misjudged his trajectory slightly, he had every opportunity to approach Eller at the right angle to make the entire process a body check. He mistook his angle slightly and created a reckless situation where the head was a principal point of contract. They acknowledge the clean nature of the physical process, they acknowledge the lack of malicious intent, they acknowledged no launching or high elbow. But its really simple, that hit is 100% in his control, he had every opportunity to ONLY hit the body, and he messed up his angle and created a collision with the head. Shanny explained this one perfectly.

Hamsterkill
05-03-2013, 04:59 PM
I do think this entire incident calls for better clarification on the rules of head shots. The fans and insiders/analysts shouldn't be so out of sync with the disciplinary crew.

Well, here's the Shanaban video: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=245071&cmpid=embed-share-video

EDIT:

The explanation by the league is full on, Gryba simply misjudged his trajectory slightly, he had every opportunity to approach Eller at the right angle to make the entire process a body check. He mistook his angle slightly and created a reckless situation where the head was a principal point of contract. They acknowledge the clean nature of the physical process, they acknowledge the lack of malicious intent, they acknowledged no launching or high elbow. But its really simple, that hit is 100% in his control, he had every opportunity to ONLY hit the body, and he messed up his angle and created a collision with the head. Shanny explained this one perfectly.

Exactly.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 05:02 PM
So let's just say i'm right and it's not an illegal hit to the head, what is the penalty to call there? How does that invalidate anything? I'm either right that it's not an illegal hit to the head in which case he should've gotten no punishment including any penalty or i'm wrong and he deserved everything.

But you're not and it was. I'm not trying to dog on you, but it was. According to the rules it simply was. I don't feel this is a situation with two valid perspectives, you either understand it was an illegal hit to the head according to the rules, or you're interpreting it incorrectly.

Of course if it wasn't an illegal hit to the head, you wouldn't have invalidated anything. But it so clearly was to such an extent that I can't believe ANYBODY would even want to say it didn't deserve the penalty. Everyone else who didn't call for a suspension (Including me at the time) at least acknowledge the major and game misconduct was proper punishment. You're the first person I've ever heard suggest no penalty. Me and others felt no suspension was warranted because of the unavoidable unintentional nature of the hit, but none of us were denying an illegal hit to the head. Not every head shot deserves a suspension, the 5 minute major and misconduct is enough often. But we all simply misjudged the other path Gryba could've taken to hit Eller more cleanly and thats what the NHL based their suspension on.

I still say it was an incredibly unfortunate play but the onus was all on Gryba to simply do everything he could to avoid the head contact and he just didn't do enough. He had the chance, thats what the league typically looks at - Was there an opportunity to throw a cleaner, legal hit, still a hard hit, and this time there was. With Kronwall, based on his nature of waiting for a player to skate with his head down and facing forward, every time he smashes a head it doesn't get suspended because the league acknowledges there was NO way for him to make physical contact without hitting the head first. Simply no way - and hes a bit of a smart scumbag for exclusively choosing moments where he knows he has a free head shot that can't get him suspended. But this is not that hit. There were options and the league will never sympathize with a severe head shot causing severe injury when there was a clear other choice for Gryba to make.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Also the issue of Gryba's own safety needs to be considered when determining if he should've been thrown out or not. I almost support it regardless if it was illegal or not just based on the result because Montreal would've been headhunting his ass for 30 minutes.

alias
05-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Can you provide an example?

The Stuart hit on Landeskog in the above video.

If you read the last part of rule 48 it basically asks "was the head contact avoidble?" I dont think Shanny truly thought that the head was the PRINCIPAL point of contact, but that on the follow through he definitely made contact with the head, and that it was avoidable since Gryba definitely had other options. I think he called it the way he did because he doesn't want to set a precident where any secondary hit to the head is suspendable (see Landeskog).

A ban of all hits to the head clears this up pretty quickly don't you think? It would be pretty cut and dry.

alias
05-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Well, here's the Shanaban video:

hmmmm wondering if this typo was on purpose :p

Kyle
05-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Fuck that. Simple as that. Fuck. That. I'd rather see the league forever swim in an unclear gray area than eliminate them from the game entirely. I want to see Kronwall hits. I want to see Subban hits (Or do you deny he knows when he can legally hit the head also??). I don't need those out of the game because those are plays totally avoidable by the players receiving the hits. No one should ever feel safe skating with their heads down in the NHL. In this case Eller had virtually no choice, but in a lot of other legal instances of head shots the player targeted is solely at fault and I don't want to see rules changed to appease those fools.

alias
05-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Fuck that. Simple as that. Fuck. That. I'd rather see the league forever swim in an unclear gray area than eliminate them from the game entirely. I want to see Kronwall hits. I want to see Subban hits (Or do you deny he knows when he can legally hit the head also??). I don't need those out of the game because those are plays totally avoidable by the players receiving the hits. No one should ever feel safe skating with their heads down in the NHL. In this case Eller had virtually no choice, but in a lot of other legal instances of head shots the player targeted is solely at fault and I don't want to see rules changed to appease those fools.

I'm not saying take hits out of the game. But you saying Kron & PK know when they can legally hit the head means that they have the ability to avoid the head. If the head can reasonably be avoided then head hits should be eliminated. Also, I'm not saying every hit to the head should be a suspension. If a head hit does not result in injury maybe a penalty would be assessed.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I hate basing discipline on injury and result. Those factors can be so random and luck-based. So much of the most dangerous hits don't injure. Visible intent means much more to me than the result of a play, with some exceptions of course for particularly brutal, violent results.
<br>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_fFrmpmUlM
Hudler deserved that hit for admiring his pass. I don't want to see anything about those types of hits changed. Its hudler's fault. When its the receiving player's fault, I truly don't give a fuck how violent a legal collision is and what the results are.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-03-2013, 05:52 PM
stay classy ottawa

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/935243_10151357710342257_773365056_n.jpg

starting to really hate this team

better break out the forensic scientists

phaneuf6
05-03-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm not even going to try and argue my point. All the 'experts' have said it was a clean hit. Players around the league have said it was a clean hit. The fact that there was a 2 game suspension that resulted from it was a joke. I can let the refs go with calling it in the game purely based on the speed and end result. But there shouldn't have been any further discipline.

Go Sens.

Kyle
05-03-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm not even going to try and argue my point. All the 'experts' have said it was a clean hit. Players around the league have said it was a clean hit. The fact that there was a 2 game suspension that resulted from it was a joke. I can let the refs go with calling it in the game purely based on the speed and end result. But there shouldn't have been any further discipline.

Go Sens.

But you just argued it. The only "experts" on this rule is the NHL disciplinary team. The rest of us are just catching up, reputable analysts included. The NHL explained it rather perfectly.

alias
05-03-2013, 06:52 PM
I hate basing discipline on injury and result. Those factors can be so random and luck-based. So much of the most dangerous hits don't injure. Visible intent means much more to me than the result of a play, with some exceptions of course for particularly brutal, violent results.

Yeah,admittedly I haven't really thought too much about it. The elbow on Penner the other day is a prime example of a dirty play that didn't cause injury.

boredguy
05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Really surprised you're sticking to this league ruled it so, so it's obvious they're right thing. They've screwed up suspensions before, not sure why they're infallible this time.

alias
05-03-2013, 07:16 PM
2-0 baby!!!!!!

alias
05-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Really surprised you're sticking to this league ruled it so, so it's obvious they're right thing. They've screwed up suspensions before, not sure why they're infallible this time.

theres only 2 questions you need to ask when the head is hit which nobody disputes that. was the head principal point of contact? if yes its a suspension. if not could the head hit have been avoided? if yes its a suspension. do you honestly think gryba had no other options than what he did?

alias
05-03-2013, 07:20 PM
both goalies in this series have now lost a tooth.....weird

alias
05-03-2013, 07:49 PM
fuck yeah Ryder! its about time you showed up! we need ryder to step up big time here. im impressed at how our offense had continued to apply pressure without Eller, Pacioretty & Gionta. much better in the hitting department today too. It took Therrien a week or two to figure out how to re-organize the defense after Emelin went down. Took him a day to re-organize the offense without 3 major guys

phaneuf6
05-03-2013, 08:29 PM

This. I mean, the fact that Ference got 1 game for intentionally targeting someone's head yesterday while Gryba gets two for incidental contact to the head today is enough to take any of their credibility away for me.

boredguy
05-03-2013, 08:47 PM
And to talk about the actual series... lol. Was a good game by the Habs, nice to see Price bounce back, he made some huge saves.

alias
05-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Solid statement game. Played a full 60 minutes. Took Karlsson out of the game early and often. Bourque has been awesome so far these playoffs hitting and amking plays, and I'll admit I didn't think we'd see Whitey in a Habs jersey again after taking all those dumb penalties early in the year but he looked great tonight hits all over the ice. Montreal actually found their physical game. Price played solid all game and made some key saves. Gallagher with the game winner! 2 playoff games 2 goals! Now on to our next 2 home games in Ottawa!

alias
05-04-2013, 02:49 PM
The Ottawa Citizen is calling for Prust to be fined for his comments on MacLean. Who was it that said only Montreal blows things out of proportion?

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/why-brandon-prust-deserves-a-big-fat-fine

alias
05-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Ottawa playing much better today....if not for that chincy slashing call on Pacioretty (a play that happens 10 times a game) it'd be 0-0 still.

alias
05-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Bourque! What an awesome playoffs he's had so far! Bourque > Cammalleri :D

Refs are calling everything on both sides...what happened to letting them play in the playoffs?

Doctego
05-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Bourque! What an awesome playoffs he's had so far! Bourque > Cammalleri :D

Refs are calling everything on both sides...what happened to letting them play in the playoffs?

They used to be a little more lenient until the end of the 3rd and overtime. That's when they would swallow their whistle. Not so much anymore, as evidenced by the call in OT of the Pens game today.

Kyle
05-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Tons of 5 on 3's being thrown around in these playoffs too from what I've seen so far.

This has been a great game

alias
05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
I wish I spoke french so I don't have to listen to PJ Stock. How he still has a job is beyond me.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Ottawa is putting on a show!

alias
05-05-2013, 08:22 PM
falling apart....

Kyle
05-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Montreal got physically bullied, totally outplayed, and mentally outclassed. That was brutal. Punk elbow by Borque. I was wondering when we'd get our first truly ugly game of the playoffs where the losing team resorts to message sending.

Doctego
05-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Montreal got physically bullied, totally outplayed, and mentally outclassed. That was brutal. Punk elbow by Borque. I was wondering when we'd get our first truly ugly game of the playoffs where the losing team resorts to message sending.

Agreed. I am not a fan of the whole sending a message thing but it is what it is. Firing the puck at the end of the game was bullshit. Don't want a timeout called at the end of a blowout game? Stop acting like assholes and getting the clock stopped.

two24four
05-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Sens made the Habs their bitch tonight.

Said it during the game, winner of this series I don't think will do much in round 2, they will be to beat up.

Kyle
05-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Agreed. I am not a fan of the whole sending a message thing but it is what it is. Firing the puck at the end of the game was bullshit. Don't want a timeout called at the end of a blowout game? Stop acting like assholes and getting the clock stopped.

Agreed. Games like this make me appreciate what the NHL is trying to do with the game a little bit more. Some bits like the puck firing after the timeout and Borque's cheap shots throughout just looked embarrassing for the league.

alias
05-05-2013, 10:38 PM

They were stopping the clock because the 3 defensemen they had left had nothing left in the tank. Gorges tried to get off but Diaz was on the bench and he had just gotten off and couldn't come back on. Plekanec played defense at the end there thats how bad it was.

boredguy
05-06-2013, 12:10 AM
As a big Sens hater i can't believe that i'm actually cheering for the Habs to lose now.

gogoayane
05-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Missed the game tonight... Will need to watch the replay but for what I see from the highlight - stay classy Habs. It'll be interesting to see who gets suspended.

Kudos to the Sens for keeping their cool (most of them at least)

Doctego
05-06-2013, 05:37 AM
They were stopping the clock because the 3 defensemen they had left had nothing left in the tank. Gorges tried to get off but Diaz was on the bench and he had just gotten off and couldn't come back on. Plekanec played defense at the end there thats how bad it was.

I was talking about in general. The clock kept stopping because Montreal kept trying to send a message. If not, the game would have already been over and Ottawa wouldn't have called a timeout at the end. Isn't that why they were short on D? Their D was either in the box or kicked out of the game? It's hard to have sympathy when they put themselves in that situation.

phaneuf6
05-06-2013, 07:32 AM
The Ottawa Citizen is calling for Prust to be fined for his comments on MacLean. Who was it that said only Montreal blows things out of proportion?

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/why-brandon-prust-deserves-a-big-fat-fine

This isn't really blowing things out of proportion... there needs to be some accountability when it comes to speaking to the media.

Montreal ends the games like a bunch of cry babies, what else is new. Why does Gorges think he's so tough? He wouldn't even be playing if McLaren had actually fought him earlier this year...

http://youtu.be/fpxV127-emw

gogoayane
05-06-2013, 10:19 AM
This isn't really blowing things out of proportion... there needs to be some accountability when it comes to speaking to the media.

Agreed - I think Avery was suspended back then for his famous "sloppy seconds" remark. There are trash talking between players, playing wits between coaches, and all sorts of remarks they make through Media to heat the series up - that's fine, it's part of playoff hockey. But going out there insulting MacLean's appearance? That got nothing to do with the game at all. Should've been dinged a few dimes for that.

toronto1979
05-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Love to see the emotions run high in playoff hockey!! It's not often you see a full line brawl in the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-qBBvM9AIs

alias
05-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Love to see the emotions run high in playoff hockey!! It's not often you see a full line brawl in the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-qBBvM9AIs

This all started with Smith's crosscheck on White's arm and Cowen is the 3rd man in. No crosscheck, no brawl. If Cowen doens't jump in, no brawl. Maybe White's retaliation was overboard but otherwise yeah, all the Habs fault :rolleyes:

alias
05-06-2013, 12:02 PM

Agreed. Let's start with having respect for your opponent.

alias
05-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I was talking about in general. The clock kept stopping because Montreal kept trying to send a message. If not, the game would have already been over and Ottawa wouldn't have called a timeout at the end. Isn't that why they were short on D? Their D was either in the box or kicked out of the game? It's hard to have sympathy when they put themselves in that situation.

They had 3 d-men since 8:31 into the 3rd. Hard to play 11:29 with 3 d-men. There was only 1 fight after that point. They were stopping the clock because they were gassed. If MacLean called the timeout around that time it wouldn't be an issue. But he calls it when he has a powerplay with hardly any time on the clock.

phaneuf6
05-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Agreed. Let's start with having respect for your opponent.

Genuinely curious when the Sens have 'disrespected' the Canadiens in the media?

PS: Having Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto in this years playoffs has really heated things up, both between the Sens/Canadiens rivalry and just in general within the hockey fanbase. Gotta love it.

Kyle
05-06-2013, 01:06 PM
I've been totally on board with everything coming out of Habs camp so far, but last night was a clear tipping point. As a non-fan of either team you can't be sympathetic with the things the Habs find disrespectful. The Habs spent 15 minutes throwing absurd, nearly-dangerous cheap shots at nearly every point during a play, or after a play. Certain Sens may have retaliated at a fraction of the extent but the Habs just totally lost it. Gallagher dropping his gloves and throwing fists at a guy who was just victimized by another Habs player and was skating away to let cooler heads prevail? Suban trying his hardest to punch a guys head into the ice about 5-6 times when he was on his back? Borque throws a nearly suspension-worthy elbow at a head and remains in the game to throw about 17 classless slashes and crosschecks? Two handed stick swings by a Habs player to the back of a Sens skates? It was nearly a home run swing.

Whatever tiny gestures of poor class extended by the Sens or their coach pales in light of the Habs absolutely insane overreaction. If MacLean wasn't totally respectful following the Gryba hit, thats the WORST anyone in the Habs camp can say - Maybe he wasn't being totally respectful. You got your payback. You publicly called him a bug eyed fat walrus with no league retribution - Done. No one can say that inspired harsh feelings this game - There was nothing said to inspire any animosity.

As for the time out...after time to think about it, I can say I'm CERTAIN it was a clear gesture of disrespect by the Sens coach. And guess what? Good on him. If the Habs want to waste an entire period where they had a genuine comeback chance and instead use the 20 minutes to send a message, send your own message. The Habs will be chomping at the bits to point out a dozen ways "They started it" but the only classless hockey played this series has been on their side and the Sens owe them no respect, not even the common courtesy you normally extend towards a team you hate. I don't want to see the Sens offering the Habs any of that. The habs decided this would be a series played with absolutely no respect, absolutely no regards for representing the game cleanly in any way. I hope the Sens aim for the same high hits the Habs will be aiming for, I hope they continue to indulge their pathetically misguided desire to drop fists with Sens players (Who, over the course of the game, won nearly every single 1 v 1 fight that was somewhat interesting. Seriously, the Habs got fucking brutally annihilated by the team they tried to bully), and I hope they call another timeout after a ridiculous 19 minute stretch of cheap shots and whiny, brat hockey.

Thats all that was - Spoiled brat hockey. The fact that Therrian has ANYTHING to say about a timeout and nothing to say about his team practically chasing cheap shots for 20 minutes reveals where the brat mentality begins. Therrian all but guaranteed the players will react to that timeout next game too in his post-game. I don't expect him to go out of his way one bit to try to calm the Habs down and I don't expect them to play any more disciplined in game 4. If they go down by 2 or more goals I would start sending out Sens skaters in bulletproof vests.

As a Habs fan, and to the entire Habs team, strike the word "respect" from your vocabulary for the remainder of this series - The Habs threw that right out the window.

Kyle
05-06-2013, 01:16 PM
With ALLLL that said, man, it was sure fun to watch. Lets do it again. ;)

gogoayane
05-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Genuinely curious when the Sens have 'disrespected' the Canadiens in the media?

PS: Having Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto in this years playoffs has really heated things up, both between the Sens/Canadiens rivalry and just in general within the hockey fanbase. Gotta love it.

I was just saying this with my buddies - funny how there's a 3-way relationship now with OTT and MTL getting tangled up haha. That's what playoff do to teams :D

Doctego
05-06-2013, 01:22 PM
With ALLLL that said, man, it was sure fun to watch. Lets do it again. ;)

It was definitely fun to watch although it would get old fast if it happened during every series.

While I understand the need to occasionally send a message, I have zero sympathy for whatever comes of it. Montreal acted like a bunch of punks. I don't give a shit if they were gassed for the 2nd half of the 3rd period because they lost half of their D. They brought it on themselves. I am 100% sure that Ottawa called the timeout to rub it in and I don't really care. Montreal brought this on themselves. I didn't see the postgame and I'm glad that I didn't. Firing the puck at Turris (I believe) was completely classless.

The first sentence was in response to your comment The rest is a small rant by me.

phaneuf6
05-06-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm classless? This is another disrespectful thing? They were doing a good job of (humiliating) themselves...dont need my help.

Sums it up. And I don't mind MacLean calling a timeout there.

“I didn’t want anyone to get hurt, it was already getting dumb enough as it was,” said MacLean. “I have two important players on my team and I still have games to play. We’re not giving them a freebie. There’s already enough of that.”

gogoayane
05-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I've been totally on board with everything coming out of Habs camp so far, but last night was a clear tipping point. As a non-fan of either team you can't be sympathetic with the things the Habs find disrespectful. The Habs spent 15 minutes throwing absurd, nearly-dangerous cheap shots at nearly every point during a play, or after a play. Certain Sens may have retaliated at a fraction of the extent but the Habs just totally lost it. Gallagher dropping his gloves and throwing fists at a guy who was just victimized by another Habs player and was skating away to let cooler heads prevail? Suban trying his hardest to punch a guys head into the ice about 5-6 times when he was on his back? Borque throws a nearly suspension-worthy elbow at a head and remains in the game to throw about 17 classless slashes and crosschecks? Two handed stick swings by a Habs player to the back of a Sens skates? It was nearly a home run swing.

Whatever tiny gestures of poor class extended by the Sens or their coach pales in light of the Habs absolutely insane overreaction. If MacLean wasn't totally respectful following the Gryba hit, thats the WORST anyone in the Habs camp can say - Maybe he wasn't being totally respectful. You got your payback. You publicly called him a bug eyed fat walrus with no league retribution - Done. No one can say that inspired harsh feelings this game - There was nothing said to inspire any animosity.

As for the time out...after time to think about it, I can say I'm CERTAIN it was a clear gesture of disrespect by the Sens coach. And guess what? Good on him. If the Habs want to waste an entire period where they had a genuine comeback chance and instead use the 20 minutes to send a message, send your own message. The Habs will be chomping at the bits to point out a dozen ways "They started it" but the only classless hockey played this series has been on their side and the Sens owe them no respect, not even the common courtesy you normally extend towards a team you hate. I don't want to see the Sens offering the Habs any of that. The habs decided this would be a series played with absolutely no respect, absolutely no regards for representing the game cleanly in any way. I hope the Sens aim for the same high hits the Habs will be aiming for, I hope they continue to indulge their pathetically misguided desire to drop fists with Sens players (Who, over the course of the game, won nearly every single 1 v 1 fight that was somewhat interesting. Seriously, the Habs got fucking brutally annihilated by the team they tried to bully), and I hope they call another timeout after a ridiculous 19 minute stretch of cheap shots and whiny, brat hockey.

Thats all that was - Spoiled brat hockey. The fact that Therrian has ANYTHING to say about a timeout and nothing to say about his team practically chasing cheap shots for 20 minutes reveals where the brat mentality begins. Therrian all but guaranteed the players will react to that timeout next game too in his post-game. I don't expect him to go out of his way one bit to try to calm the Habs down and I don't expect them to play any more disciplined in game 4. If they go down by 2 or more goals I would start sending out Sens skaters in bulletproof vests.

As a Habs fan, and to the entire Habs team, strike the word "respect" from your vocabulary for the remainder of this series - The Habs threw that right out the window.

Pretty much summed up my thoughts about the game. Thanks Kyle.. well written.

For the time-out, sure it looked like an a-hole move but as a coach, anything can happen in that 18 seconds. Who to say those Habs won't do anything more drastic and potentially injury Sens players. Coaches got the right to call for a time out and in an unique game like this, I liked what MacLean did there.

gogoayane
05-06-2013, 01:38 PM
btw - any news on potential suspension? Aside from the chaos, there were head shots from Prust and Bourque that should be reviewed.

Kyle
05-06-2013, 01:52 PM
The two handed baseball swing at the beginning of the video Alias posted (Literally the first 2 seconds) is brutal too.

phaneuf6
05-06-2013, 01:52 PM
The best part of that video is the fact that literally every single one of the Habs lost their fight. :lol:

Kyle
05-06-2013, 02:19 PM
The best part of that video is the fact that literally every single one of the Habs lost their fight. :lol:

All five players on the ice got into fights – with the Senators coming out ahead in all of them – and eight players received game misconducts.

Small bit from NHL.com's recap. :lol:

nyrblue2
05-06-2013, 03:27 PM

I thought that was hilarious too when watching it yesterday. I love how White gives the slash, is gung-ho about throwing down and then proceeds to get rag-dolled complete with a spastic fall at the end.

I really don't care about OTT or MTL one way or the other, so there's really no bias on my part. The way MTL played and handled that games was embarassing. They looked like punks. The excuse about having 3 D-men and being gassed as reasons they stopped play is completely besides the point. They stopped the game when they took all of the gutless, cheap penalties - each one of them caused an unecessary stoppage, ya know. Intentional icing or offsides to get a breather - sure, no problem. But Bourque running around like an a-hole, Subban jumping Turris and not letting up when he's on his back, etc. - looked like a bunch of pansies. Gorges' shot at Turris at the end should be suspendable, IMO - to me, the video of that is clear as day.

alias
05-07-2013, 07:32 PM
when this team plays their game they are tough to beat

alias
05-07-2013, 08:29 PM
wow that was a bullshit goal....kicked in for sure

Dubz
05-08-2013, 12:54 AM
wow that was a bullshit goal....kicked in for sure

Saw a quick replay on TSN and it looked directed in to me. He didnt kick it tho. The Habs also got a tough break when Price went down....i think they are done with Budaj in net.

nyrblue2
05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I didn't think it was the definition of being kicked in, but I do know that they wave off that exact play/situation (foot moving forward while turning to stop) very often.

Kyle
05-08-2013, 12:15 PM
The Canadians need to accept they've thrown away this series. They haven't been good enough. They've created a ton of possession time but not as many great chances. The fact that they're sitting here after another ridiculously dominant second period where they just couldn't pull ahead enough, is their own fault. The Habs are every bit as good as the Sens and have shown it. But they've also shown they're a weak playoff team, who you can bully, and mentally frustrate and get off their game rather easily. They're a team huge on excuses starting from their coach and that just annoys the fuck out of me. Excuse after excuse after excuse. How about, just be the better fucking team you're supposed to be, win by MORE than 1 goal every once in a while, and you won't be at the mercy of referee decisions. Maybe continue playing well instead of getting dominated 13 shots to 4 in the 3rd period, and the team can actually hold a lead. But no, I'm sure the issues start and end with the referees. Give me a break. This Habs team and their fans will spend all off season talking about how much better they were than the Sens, and you know what, they are much better, but they sure don't know a fucking thing about succeeding in the playoffs. I hope the Habs stop making excuses in time to soak in the valuable lesson the Sens have offered them regarding playoff hockey. Theres TONS to observe and learn from if the Habs can swallow their pride and simply realize what they're doing wrong.

But seriously, if I take anything from this series, its that Therrian is a whiny punk bitch who needs to shut the fuck up as much as any coach I've ever seen in Sports. He just makes the Habs look bad every time hes behind a microphone, its just one never-ending string of pity parties for this guy and his poor team, his always victimized team.

alias
05-09-2013, 12:04 AM
The Canadians need to accept they've thrown away this series. They haven't been good enough. They've created a ton of possession time but not as many great chances. The fact that they're sitting here after another ridiculously dominant second period where they just couldn't pull ahead enough, is their own fault. The Habs are every bit as good as the Sens and have shown it. But they've also shown they're a weak playoff team, who you can bully, and mentally frustrate and get off their game rather easily. They're a team huge on excuses starting from their coach and that just annoys the fuck out of me. Excuse after excuse after excuse. How about, just be the better fucking team you're supposed to be, win by MORE than 1 goal every once in a while, and you won't be at the mercy of referee decisions. Maybe continue playing well instead of getting dominated 13 shots to 4 in the 3rd period, and the team can actually hold a lead. But no, I'm sure the issues start and end with the referees. Give me a break. This Habs team and their fans will spend all off season talking about how much better they were than the Sens, and you know what, they are much better, but they sure don't know a fucking thing about succeeding in the playoffs. I hope the Habs stop making excuses in time to soak in the valuable lesson the Sens have offered them regarding playoff hockey. Theres TONS to observe and learn from if the Habs can swallow their pride and simply realize what they're doing wrong.

But seriously, if I take anything from this series, its that Therrian is a whiny punk bitch who needs to shut the fuck up as much as any coach I've ever seen in Sports. He just makes the Habs look bad every time hes behind a microphone, its just one never-ending string of pity parties for this guy and his poor team, his always victimized team.

Really? Did I miss something? I didn't see any excuses coming from Therrien as to why they've lost. He's done a complete 180 since his last time here IMO. You want to point me to the excuses he's made as to why this team is down 3-1? I'll even point you to where you can find video of pretty much every interview a member of the Habs has done.... www.hockeyinsideout.com (http://www.hockeyinsideout.com) Nobody's making excuses here. All I'm hearing is "we're a better team than this" or "we didn't play as well as we can and we need to be better". The only thing I can think of that you might be talking about it in reference to the faceoff leading to Zibanejads goal, but IMO thats something 30/30 coaches would say. In reference to the kicking motion MT said "theres nothing we can do about it, people in the league decide it, you have to respect that decision". I think you have us confused with the Bruins or Canucks....

Oh, and Kerry Fraser's opinion on the Zibenajad goal:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422689

Dubz
05-09-2013, 12:29 AM

Should have highlighted this part ;)

phaneuf6
05-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Oh, and Kerry Fraser's opinion on the Zibenajad goal:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422689

All of a sudden Kerry Fraser knows what he's talking about eh? But no, he's totally wrong on the Gryba hit ;)

alias
05-09-2013, 10:46 AM
All of a sudden Kerry Fraser knows what he's talking about eh? But no, he's totally wrong on the Gryba hit ;)

how did I know you'd reply to this? You wanna show me where I said Kerry was wrong on the Gryba hit? Are you saying Kerry is wrong this time? The Gryba hit is more open to interpretation, you might rememeber me actually saying it was a clean hit which Kerry said, so when did I say I didn't agree with him?

agreed. it was kinda blindside but otherwise a completely clean hit.

After seeing multiple replays in slo-mo I said you can see the head was hit by the shoulder, but whether it was the principle point of contact was up for debate. You see, from time to time I'm able to look objectively at something Habs (unlike you) yet for some reason you never see that. You also take every opportunity to jump on them or me and it's laughable. You got 2 projects now....show me where I said Kerry was wrong on the Eller/Gryba hit, and I'm still waiting on the video of a coach balming an opposing player for an opposing players injury....keep trying though....keep making shit up and spouting your garbage, it's making you look real credible.

alias
05-10-2013, 08:33 AM
well that's that. Not an impressive performance by the Habs this series but still gotta be excited about the turn around from last year. Last to 2nd place, and some great individual performances this year from our young guys like Subban, Emelin, Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk....the future looks bright! We just gotta get bigger....

Dubz
05-10-2013, 10:08 AM
nananana nananana :D

Any word on Price injury?

toronto1979
05-10-2013, 11:58 AM
I thought once Daniel Alfredsson retires all traces of the TOR-OTT rivalry would be dead, but this playoff series has officially put the nail in the coffin of that match-up.