PDA

View Full Version : AHL Thread

alias
10-14-2012, 03:07 PM
This will likely be the best hockey most of us will watch for a good chunk if not all season so why not get it's own thread? I think a lot of us are pretty excited about our teams' farm system since a lot of NHL calibre guys will be playing on the farm. I know I'll be attending a lot of Bulldog games this year to watch future Habs like Tinordi & Beaulieu, Ellis, Gallagher, Bournival, Holland and LeBlanc. I was hoping they'd do something where some of the junior guys can play in the AHL. I'd love to see Galchenyuk....

two24four
10-14-2012, 07:12 PM
This will likely be the best hockey most of us will watch for a good chunk if not all season so why not get it's own thread? I think a lot of us are pretty excited about our teams' farm system since a lot of NHL calibre guys will be playing on the farm. I know I'll be attending a lot of Bulldog games this year to watch future Habs like Tinordi & Beaulieu, Ellis, Gallagher, Bournival, Holland and LeBlanc. I was hoping they'd do something where some of the junior guys can play in the AHL. I'd love to see Galchenyuk....

They can't with the way the the rules are right now for drafted Jr players. It's the NHL or back to Jr. Plus not alot of room for them on most AHL rosters with NHL players going down to play in the AHL.

I know Stevie Y wants that rule changed in the new CBA so NHL teams who draft a player can pick where they want him. NHL, AHL or back to Jr.

Some players who have played in the ECHL the last few seasons are looking for teams to play for because some AHL players have been bumped down to make room for the NHLers.

Hamsterkill
10-14-2012, 08:15 PM
They can't with the way the the rules are right now for drafted Jr players. It's the NHL or back to Jr. Plus not alot of room for them on most AHL rosters with NHL players going down to play in the AHL.

I know Stevie Y wants that rule changed in the new CBA so NHL teams who draft a player can pick where they want him. NHL, AHL or back to Jr.

Some players who have played in the ECHL the last few seasons are looking for teams to play for because some AHL players have been bumped down to make room for the NHLers.

With no current CBA, there technically is no CHL transfer agreement in place anymore. That said, I remember reading that the CHL expected the AHL to honor the previous transfer agreement during any lockout.

alias
10-14-2012, 10:16 PM

I know they normally can't go the AHL route, but was hoping during the lockout they'd make an exception.

Roy Hinske
10-14-2012, 11:35 PM
I heard European players can play in the AHL but not the north Americans who have to go back to junior. I believe Rask is in the AHL and not with the Hitmen.

Hamsterkill
10-15-2012, 07:39 AM
I heard European players can play in the AHL but not the north Americans who have to go back to junior. I believe Rask is in the AHL and not with the Hitmen.

Right now they're still just honoring the previous CHL transfer agreement -- which means that any prospect signed by their NHL club can play in the AHL except for players who have played for Canadian Major Junior teams (OHL, QMJHL, WHL) unless they are of a certain age or have played enough years in the CHL already. NCAA players are unsigned by their NHL clubs.

phaneuf6
10-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Europeans can play in the AHL once they turn 18 I believe. They aren't bound to the CHL rules because they're not Canadian/American.

Also, as 24 said, there's a restriction in part because it's unfair to current AHL players who are just trying to make a living and support their families. A lot of these guys are AHL lifers. They know they won't make the NHL but they can keep playing in the A and make a comfortable living. If you start allowing all junior players into the AHL, it bumps a lot of these guys down to the Coast where the money and hockey isn't that great. There are already a number of roster rules in place in the AHL that makes sure there is some job security for the older guys.

In a sense, it's that argument where I can agree with Bobby Ryan.

Hamsterkill
10-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Europeans can play in the AHL once they turn 18 I believe. They aren't bound to the CHL rules because they're not Canadian/American.

Also, as 24 said, there's a restriction in part because it's unfair to current AHL players who are just trying to make a living and support their families. A lot of these guys are AHL lifers. They know they won't make the NHL but they can keep playing in the A and make a comfortable living. If you start allowing all junior players into the AHL, it bumps a lot of these guys down to the Coast where the money and hockey isn't that great. There are already a number of roster rules in place in the AHL that makes sure there is some job security for the older guys.

In a sense, it's that argument where I can agree with Bobby Ryan.

Actually I think CHL transfer rules are mainly for the protection of the junior leagues rather than the AHL players. If teams could assign the CHL guys to AHL rosters, many players wouldn't spend much time in the CHL at all -- severely limiting the talent seen in those junior leagues, and in turn causing more GMs to assign junior players to minor leagues.

Technically, the European players in the CHL are subject to the CHL transfer rules as well. It's why the IIHF gave pause to allowing Yakupov to play in Russia this year until Hockey Canada gave the okay.

phaneuf6
10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Actually I think CHL transfer rules are mainly for the protection of the junior leagues rather than the AHL players. If teams could assign the CHL guys to AHL rosters, many players wouldn't spend much time in the CHL at all -- severely limiting the talent seen in those junior leagues, and in turn causing more GMs to assign junior players to minor leagues.

Technically, the European players in the CHL are subject to the CHL transfer rules as well. It's why the IIHF gave pause to allowing Yakupov to play in Russia this year until Hockey Canada gave the okay.

Well yea, it works both ways. Obviously there are AHLers that depend on their salaries to support their families, which is why I specified the AHL angle.

I'm not sure about the European players with respect to the CHL transfer. I know they don't need to play their 4 years in the CHL though, whereas North American born skaters need to either play 4 years or until they're 20.

Hamsterkill
10-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure about the European players with respect to the CHL transfer. I know they don't need to play their 4 years in the CHL though, whereas North American born skaters need to either play 4 years or until they're 20.
Is there an example of this? I'm pretty sure nationality doesn't make a difference in the tranfer agreement as it was going into the lockout -- only whether they played in the CHL or not.

phaneuf6
10-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Is there an example of this? I'm pretty sure nationality doesn't make a difference in the tranfer agreement as it was going into the lockout -- only whether they played in the CHL or not.

Evgeny Grachev only played one year in the OHL before he headed to the AHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16752

Hamsterkill
10-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Evgeny Grachev only played one year in the OHL before he headed to the AHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16752

Ah, I think the only reason that's a special case is because he was drafted into the NHL before he was drafted into the OHL. Basically, I don't think the transfer agreement applies if the player was drafted out of another league even if they play in the CHL later. Theoretically, this would mean USHL players who play in the CHL after getting drafted would not be subject to the transfer agreement, either.

two24four
10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
The Marlies sent Sam Carrick down to the ECHL today. He's a player who would be playing for the Marlies full time if not for the lockout. Same for Brad Ross who is yet to dress in the Marlies first two games.

phaneuf6
10-16-2012, 10:41 AM
The Marlies sent Sam Carrick down to the ECHL today. He's a player who would be playing for the Marlies full time if not for the lockout. Same for Brad Ross who is yet to dress in the Marlies first two games.

That's too bad for Carrick. I have a friend who does a lot of media work around the Leafs and he's a huge fan of Carrick. Thinks he can be a good bottom-6 guy for the Leafs someday. I'm not so convinced.

two24four
10-18-2012, 09:41 AM
If some of you are looking to watch some pro hockey this weekend there are two AHL games on. Saturday night SN is showing the baby Leafs (Marlies) vs the baby Habs (Bulldogs). Then Sunday Leafs TV is showing the Marlies home game I think vs the Griffins, the Red Wings farm team.

It's the closest thing to a Habs vs Leafs game on a Saturday night we are getting right now.

alias
10-18-2012, 10:21 PM
If some of you are looking to watch some pro hockey this weekend there are two AHL games on. Saturday night SN is showing the baby Leafs (Marlies) vs the baby Habs (Bulldogs). Then Sunday Leafs TV is showing the Marlies home game I think vs the Griffins, the Red Wings farm team.

It's the closest thing to a Habs vs Leafs game on a Saturday night we are getting right now.

I hear that Marlies/Bulldogs game is sold out for this Saturday's game and next Friday's game is almost sold out too. Looks like people still want their hockey. I'll be trying to get tix for next week's game....

suckerpuncher
10-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Can someone elaborate why during the lockout established North Americans NHL players rather play for lower European clubs in at times lower leagues instead of playing in the AHL?

I get why the Europeans come home but what's up with the North Americans. I can't be because of the money because often times they earn not much if anything in the lower leagues.

two24four
10-28-2012, 04:01 PM
NHL vets can't go down to the AHL. Pretty sure they would still have to go through waivers. The players that go down are the young players who are still on their entry level contracts.

suckerpuncher
10-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Of course. Completely forgot about the waiver stuff. Never came to my mind since I thought everything is on hold during the lockout. Thanks.

habsfan1
10-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Justin Schultz, looking pretty good, now leading the league in scoring.

two24four
11-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Taylor Hall played his first AHL game last night but it looks like it will be his last for a bit anyways. He was kicked out for checking to the head. He scored a goal as well.

two24four
11-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Never mind. John Shannon says the AHL has taken the match penalty back. He can play tonight.

two24four
03-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Now that his Jr season is over Derek Mathers is on his way to the Flyers farm team. He's one of the toughest Jr players I have ever seen. I don't think it will be long before the Flyers bring him up. Maybe not this season but next.