PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the deals made

King_Killah
09-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Entering the season I had 4(5), 1st basemen..... Joey Votto, David Ortiz, Mark Teixeira, Ike Davis, (Chris Davis).... The following deals went down:

I first moved Ike Davis for SP Clay Buchholz....... This deal I liked because Buchholz was one of the bright spots on Boston's mound, while Ike was never going to play for me having Votto, Tex, and Papi ahead of him.
The next deal I sent Joey Votto, Yovani Gallardo, and Chris Davis away for Jay Bruce, Freddie Freeman, Jordan Zimmermann.... This one I was hesitant on because I didn't want to Votto, but I like gaining Freeman and Zimmermann. Votto ended up DL'd and Davis was a filler for me.
Aquiring Freeman in that deal put me back at 3, 1Bs.

So, I then move Mark Teixeira for Huston Street.... This one I guess leaves the biggest question marks. At this point, I was still at 3, 1bs. I only had Chris Perez as closer and I was at the point where I was rotating which ever closers were closing for the ChiCUBS off the waiver wire to try to balance that spot out with Perez. I figured, still had Papi and Freeman, why not move Tex for a closer. Well, he obviously wasn't enough and he ended up DL'd also.
Ultimately, the moves didn't help or hurt. Ten teamer and I was in the 8-10 range all season. Just curious...if I didn't make those moves, would I have moved up to at least the 6th spot and make the playoffs?? ...and Papi ened up seeing DL time as well. Then, I ended up dropping Buchholz for Kyle Lohse. Which still, I like Lohse over Ike who would have never played.

The team ended up looking like this only 1 DL spot:

C - Miguel Montero
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Chase Utley
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Rafael Furcal(DL)
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTIL - Shane Victorino
BN - David Ortiz(DL)
DL - Carlos Ruiz