PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympics

ih8music
07-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Post anything you find particularily interesting/inspiring here.

Haven't watched it yet, but early reports are that Paul McCartney was pretty bad during the opening ceremony. :\

Looking forward to watching swimming and track & field events with my kids. Pretty much don't care a whole lot about the rest.

Spartan
07-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Jordyn Wieber works at the Summit gymnastics center that is in the same complex as my business. Hope she gets gold. Rooting against our basketball team and Michael Phelps (douche). Hope to see lots of Alex Morgan.

Thats pretty much it. Track meets are boring.

Spartan
07-27-2012, 08:43 PM
And Beijing's opening ceremonies kicked the shit out of this crap I'm watching now.

phaneuf6
07-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I thought it was great.

canuckthug
07-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I thought it was great.

Overall I thought it was good. At least they didn't fuck up the cauldron. The text message/cell phone (family life?) part of the ceremony was stupid. The industrial revolution was well done and i thought the additions of 007 and Mr. Bean was pretty cool.

ih8music
07-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Mr. Bean was a huge hit in our household. Very proud.

phaneuf6
07-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Overall I thought it was good. At least they didn't fuck up the cauldron. The text message/cell phone (family life?) part of the ceremony was stupid. The industrial revolution was well done and i thought the additions of 007 and Mr. Bean was pretty cool.

I think the idea was cool, to show the social media era that we live in and how it all works. Just tough to execute it I'm sure. Have to say, I'm very impressed with anyone who can coordinate a performance on a scale that big. A very impressive feat in my eyes.

phaneuf6
08-01-2012, 07:17 AM
What a joke NBC has turned out to be this Olympics.

two24four
08-01-2012, 08:38 AM
What a joke NBC has turned out to be this Olympics.

I can't believe they dont show alot of events live. They wait to put it on in prime time. So glad it's not like that here.

Looking forward to this weekend when Bolt runs.

ih8music
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Who'd have thought that badminton would be the first source of major controversy in these games?

I didn't see any of the footage, but based on how it's being described I'm happy they cracked down on the athletes here. But they should change the format of the tournament to avoid this temptation in the first place.

Dubz
08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Mary Spencer is a hometown girl and a few people i know have trained at her boxing club. She is a favorite of mine and im hoping for GOLD!!! But honestly a medal would be awesome....this girl deserves it. In case nobody has ever heard of our beloved covergirl LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpmN74tTQ1E

two24four
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
For people in Canada. CBC has won the rights to show the Olympics in 2014 (winter) and 2016 (summer) games.

b_illin
08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Wtf on the free kick that led to the penalty kick that allowed the US ladies soccer team to tie the game up 3-3. What a horribly ref'ed match.

Edit: horrible call on the US corner at stoppage...thankfully nothing came of it

canuckthug
08-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Heartbreaker for sure.

ih8music
08-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I only caught the OT periods after reading online about it being the single greatest women's soccer game of all time (and one of the worst reffed, too).

But what an ending... heartbreaking for the Canadians, exhilarating for Team USA. Amazing goal.

ih8music
08-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Just saw the highlights -- that hand ball call (and the delay of game before that) were complete bullshit. Wow, brutal.

dw13
08-06-2012, 05:17 PM
As unjust as it may seem... USA were worthy winners.

Heartbreaking for Canada though, that Sinclair is a belter of a player.

phaneuf6
08-06-2012, 08:01 PM
As unjust as it may seem... USA were worthy winners.

Heartbreaking for Canada though, that Sinclair is a belter of a player.

Worthy winners? They were playing with 12 women the whole game.

dw13
08-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Worthy winners? They were playing with 12 women the whole game.

They were the better side.

AKA worthy winners.

b_illin
08-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Hahaha, I'm not even going to bother

chgorman
08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Hahaha, I'm not even going to bother

I will...

They were the better side.

AKA worthy winners.

They needed OT AND massive help from the ref to win. How does that makes them 'the better side?'. If they were so much better, they would've won in regulation with no help from the refs.

two24four
08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I will...

They needed OT AND massive help from the ref to win. How does that makes them 'the better side?'. If they were so much better, they would've won in regulation with no help from the refs.

Agreed 100%.

It was a joke that game came down to that.

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I was glued to that game.

dw13
08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
You guys don't watch soccer enough. Not worth getting into it.

A team can lose 3-0 and still be the better team on the day.

And that's my point, USA WERE the better team. Regardless of the blunder from the Ref (horrible call).

phaneuf6
08-08-2012, 01:22 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/ugly-americans-rise-again-soccer-team-disses-canadian-160147757.html

ih8music
08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
^ and ugly Canadians not being gracious losers
(http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--fresh-take--alex-morgan-s-last-second-goal-gives-u-s--the-win-over-a-bitter-canada.html)

"We feel like we didn't lose," Sinclair said. "We feel like it was taken from us. It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important that the ref decided the result before the game started."

"We feel like we got robbed in this game," McLeod said. "We outplayed the Americans for the entire game."

It was a hard-fought, emotional game between two teams who obviously don't have a whole lot of love for each other. To use a couple of quotes from immediately after the game when the emotions are still high as an example of some sort of national character flaw is stretching it a weeee bit, IMO.

Typical hyper-sensitive Canadian blogger.

:D

MTR
08-08-2012, 02:05 PM

They also came from behind 3 times to tie the game up. Yes the thirdgoal comes after a questionable call on the Canadian goalie but the US were pushing forward hard to get that goal. They could have still scored that goal before the end of regulation. Canada especially Sinclair had a great game but they also let the lead slip 3 times during the course of regulation. I am not sure who the best team was because both played hard to get that win but don't just blow off one of the best teams currently in the world because the other team let the lead slip more than once and a bad call from the ref. Kudos to Canada for a great game.

Now as far as that call on the keeper. Yes they never call it or at least not without warning. The keeper said she was not warned from the head ref but did get something from one of the other refs. To me that means you have been warned if it came from a ref. Plus there is a report that says Wambach was actually counting near the ref because she was realizing how long she was taking to get rid of the ball and the ref actually did warn the keeper to speed it up. At the end of the day I am not sure. I don't think anyone saw her get warned but that doesn't mean she wasn't. I would have rather it not been made honestly. A few extra seconds is not really slowing the game down that much. Let it play out.

two24four
08-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Canada wins bronze over France in womens soccer. France out played them big time.

Take that after the last game.

b_illin
08-09-2012, 09:45 AM
They also came from behind 3 times to tie the game up. Yes the thirdgoal comes after a questionable call on the Canadian goalie but the US were pushing forward hard to get that goal. They could have still scored that goal before the end of regulation. Canada especially Sinclair had a great game but they also let the lead slip 3 times during the course of regulation. I am not sure who the best team was because both played hard to get that win but don't just blow off one of the best teams currently in the world because the other team let the lead slip more than once and a bad call from the ref. Kudos to Canada for a great game.

Now as far as that call on the keeper. Yes they never call it or at least not without warning. The keeper said she was not warned from the head ref but did get something from one of the other refs. To me that means you have been warned if it came from a ref. Plus there is a report that says Wambach was actually counting near the ref because she was realizing how long she was taking to get rid of the ball and the ref actually did warn the keeper to speed it up. At the end of the day I am not sure. I don't think anyone saw her get warned but that doesn't mean she wasn't. I would have rather it not been made honestly. A few extra seconds is not really slowing the game down that much. Let it play out.
This is true...and the report I read also said Wambach started counting when our keeper was still on the ground. (then apparently she was laughing when the ref made the call)

So, basically, to Cdns, it appears Wambach pressured the ref into making a call that very well may have determined the game.

Doctego
08-09-2012, 10:16 AM
This is true...and the report I read also said Wambach started counting when our keeper was still on the ground. (then apparently she was laughing when the ref made the call)

So, basically, to Cdns, it appears Wambach pressured the ref into making a call that very well may have determined the game.

While I can see why someone might be upset with that, to me, that's pretty damn smart. Not really any different than what we see in other sports.

b_illin
08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
While I can see why someone might be upset with that, to me, that's pretty damn smart. Not really any different than what we see in other sports.

It was smart...nobody is debating that. What we are debating is whether that call should have been made and, if it is true the Wambach pressured the ref into making the call, then I think there is merit to the Cdn anger at the call. The ref fucked up.

dw13
08-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Sounds stupid.

What an awful ref.

Doctego
08-09-2012, 03:08 PM
It was smart...nobody is debating that. What we are debating is whether that call should have been made and, if it is true the Wambach pressured the ref into making the call, then I think there is merit to the Cdn anger at the call. The ref fucked up.

Agreed but the anger should be directed towards the refs and not the "ugly Americans".

chgorman
08-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Which also means that Canada was able to take the lead 3 times. So you'll give the Americans credit for coming back 3 times to tie it up (the 3rd time being with help from the ref), but yet you'll only give the Canadians a modicum of credit for legitimately taking the lead 3 times without any help from the ref? Seems like a bit of a double standard.

P.S. Wambach is a huge douche for what she did.

two24four
08-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Usain Bolt is unreal. So fun to watch. LooKs like he's only going at about 70-80%.

dw13
08-09-2012, 04:12 PM

P.S. She didn't do anything. Get real refs in the Olympic games.

b_illin
08-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Agreed but the anger should be directed towards the refs and not the "ugly Americans".

Ok, but nobody said ugly americans or questioned the US team. A link was posted that had 'ugly americans' in the titke, but otherwise we all questioned the horrible reffing.

PS: how was that not called a hand ball in the gold medal match. Wow

PPS: the ugly american sentiment is in reference to the comments some US women made after the game.

HT9
08-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Doctego
08-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Then why are people still bitching about this?

Doctego
08-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Ok, but nobody said ugly americans or questioned the US team. A link was posted that had 'ugly americans' in the titke, but otherwise we all questioned the horrible reffing.

PPS: the ugly american sentiment is in reference to the comments some US women made after the game.

Then what is it? No one said it or it was in reference to comments after the game? It can't be both. If it's in the title of an article, you can't say that it wasn't said.

MTR
08-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Which also means that Canada was able to take the lead 3 times. So you'll give the Americans credit for coming back 3 times to tie it up (the 3rd time being with help from the ref), but yet you'll only give the Canadians a modicum of credit for legitimately taking the lead 3 times without any help from the ref? Seems like a bit of a double standard.

Double standard? The Canadians gave up the lead 3 times. They played a great time but the GAVE UP the lead 3 times. Both teams played a hell of a game and I am giving the Canadians credit for that. The fact remains though that they could not hold on to the lead. My money says US ties that game even if the ref didn't make that call. They were pushing hard on that attack and again Canada had given up tying goals earlier in the game.

As far as Wambach goes she did what she could to help her team win. She noticed the keeper was holding onto the ball a lot to slow the pace of the game when they were pushing the attack. She just made sure the ref noticed it as well. I would have done the same thing honestly and have done something similar in fact when I used to play.

MTR
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM

I have no idea why that was not called a handball. It was definitely a handball.

two24four
08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
The Canadian womens team seem to have put this game behind them now that they have bronze. If they can put it behind them I think everyone else should now as well. It's over, nothing anyone can do now. They seem really happy with the bronze.

Sinclair even tweeted last night that she was just getting in at 4am and that she might even sleep with her medal.

b_illin
08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/nike-gold-medal-t-shirts-were-tacky-vain-213051108--oly.html

ih8music
08-10-2012, 12:20 PM
:lol:

keyboard
08-10-2012, 03:32 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/nike-gold-medal-t-shirts-were-tacky-vain-213051108--oly.html
Whole world has gone crazy.

snoopzen
08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
This might be interesting. Nike is not an official Olympic sponsor, and if athletes aren't wearing items that are part of the official country uniform, they're supposed to wear items from official Olympic sponsors. In this case, it's adidas.

Nike has also been running those ads showing athletes from around the world in cities/towns named "London". Not London, England, not directly linked to the Olympics (they're not allowed to do that), but the commercials are creating that mental link to the London 2012 Olympics in viewers anyway.

Yohan Blake of Jamaica is facing similar controversy right now over the $500,000 watch (you heard that right) he's been wearing throughout the games.
http://www.inquisitr.com/298260/yohan-blakes-500000-watch-could-land-him-in-trouble/