PDA

View Full Version : Harper or Trout

b_illin
05-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Funny enough, I had both players a couple weeks ago in a one-year league (ended up dropping Harper) but now I have the opportunity to acquire one or the other in a complex keeper league.

League rules:

I. ROSTERS a. Each team will maintain a roster of 25 major-league players. b. Team rosters will be filled at an annual auction to be held some time near the start of the major-league season. c. The roster at the beginning of the season must comprise one catcher, one player at each infield position (first base, second base, third base, and shortstop), four outfielders, one additional infielder (first base, second base, third base or shortstop). Five starting pitchers and three relief pitchers. Owners will also maintain seven bench players from any position. i. To be eligible at a specific position, a hitter must have played at least 15 games there in the previous season. ii. If a player did not play 15 or more games in the majors at any position, but did play in the majors, he is eligible only at the position where he played the most. iii. To be eligible as a starting pitcher the player must have started games the previous year. iv. It is the owner’s responsibility to know a players eligibility requirements. d. In order to accumulate points owners must activate players on a daily basis. The following chart demonstrates the maximum amount of games/innings pitched per position.

Position
Games Played
Innings Pitched

Catcher

First Base

Second Base

Short Stop

Third Base

Outfield

Infielder

Pitchers

e. Points are calculated our current data provider, Yahoo. Should we change data providers we will maintain the same rules. IV. OFFSEASON a. Rosters shall be frozen after the conclusion of the season, b. Owners shall be permitted to retain up to four players (2006) and five players (2007) of their major league players from one year to the next Owners may not keep players who have been on their roster for four consecutive seasons. c. Players may be kept according to the following salary and contract guidelines: Year one: auction value, Year two: auction value, Year three: 50% increase from auction value, Year four: 100% raise from year three value, Year five: Unrestricted free agent. Consider a player purchased at the auction for $10

Year One
$10

Year Two
$10

Year Three
$15

Year Four
$30

Year Five
Unrestricted free agent

d. Players acquired as free agents can be retained at the price they were purchased for at the auction. If a player was not purchased at the auction their default year one value shall be $10. e. Trades may take place between January 1st and February 15th. d. New owners may select two players from the free agent pool once all protection lists have been submitted by February 15th and the owners free agent draft has taken place New owners may select free agents on a first come first serve basis and have until March 1st to do so.
------------------------------------------------------

Basically, both Trout and Harper are $1 each and both in the their 2nd season of their 4-year max. So, next year, each would be $2 and then the following year, they'd each be $4 then I would have to let them go.

I am trying to get both players as this guy wants CC Sabathia ($41) and Ryan Howard ($30). I don't think I'll be able to get both though, so have to choose. Harper likely has the higher ceiling, but seeing as I will only have one or the other for another 2 seasons (after this one - I have no chance to win btw...building for next season 100%), I wonder if Trout is the more valuable player to acquire.

So, what do you guys think - Trout or Harper?

PS: Stats are AVG/HR/RBI/R/SB

b_illin
05-28-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm also in talks for some other players.

Manager A: Trout ($1 - year 2), Harper ($1 - year 2)

Manager B: C.Santana ($5 - year 3), A.Jones ($13 - year 2), Madison Bumgarner ($2 - year 3), Trevor Bauer ($5 - year 1), Arenado ($2 - year 1)

Manager C: Jennings ($5 - year 2), Lawrie ($1 - year 2), Jacob Turner ($2 - year 1), Machado ($1 - year 1)

canuckthug
06-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Basically, both Trout and Harper are $1 each and both in the their 2nd season of their 4-year max.

Harper is 100% rookie, how does that work?? Trout played 40 games with 123 AB's last year. Anyways, i like Harper because Harper is supposed to be a superstar, drafted 1st in the 1st round. I like the addition of Pujols for the Angels and run support vs what the Nationals got but Harper should still produce > #'s for the years to come. Trout is fast but Harper has great speed as well. Both have 30 SB potential. When Cole Hamels hit Harper, he stole home during the same inning. I was sold on Harper right there. Here's the clip, look at the speed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2l78lH-71Y

About the power numbers, i think Harper will adapt to big league pitching as he grows with the game. Here is article that say's he wont. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-11065826 Both Trout and Harper are good prospects. Personally i don't think you will win or lose by picking one over the other but good luck on your decision. Go with Harper!

FlyGuy78
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree, go with Harper.

two24four
06-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Ken Rosenthal twitter.

Exec just poised this question: If you could take one player to start at a team, would you take Trout, Harper or Stanton? I say Trout. You?

All are great choices. I like Trout because of speed and ability to be elite CFer. Also might turn out to be best hitter of group.

I have watched parts of the last four Angles games, Trout is goooood.

b_illin
06-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Trout is the shit...he's who I would have asked for, but that deal fell apart.

I ended up getting Lawrie ($1 - year 2) + Machado ($1 - year 1) for Middlebrooks ($10 - year 1) + Howard ($30 - year 1).