PDA

View Full Version : 2012 ECF: NJD vs. NYR

WIS
05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Devils in 6.

Kyle
05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Devils in 6, this ones also got major potential to be very boring unless NJ is able to fly around out there like in round 2

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Devils in 7. The wrong two Atlantic division teams representing the EC. Damn it. :)

Hamsterkill
05-13-2012, 02:23 AM
I honestly don't know who to call in this series. The Eastern Conference seems to have just thrown up a big, giant middle finger at me this year.

Fuck it. Rangers in 5 we'll say.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-13-2012, 02:32 AM
I honestly don't know who to call in this series. The Eastern Conference seems to have just thrown up a big, giant middle finger at me this year.

Fuck it. Rangers in 5 we'll say.

The East and the West took a huge dump on me this year, really wasn't expecting LA/PHX either.

Hamsterkill
05-13-2012, 02:39 AM
The East and the West took a huge dump on me this year, really wasn't expecting LA/PHX either.

Phoenix I had a good feeling about. Didn't know what to make of LA going into the postseason, but certainly didn't expect them to take down both Vancouver and St. Louis and make it look easy.

If they dispatch Phoenix too, as most seem to expect at this point, they'll have gone through all three division winners in the West en route to the Cup Finals.

FlyGuy78
05-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Can I say that neither will win since these are the last two teams I wanted to see here, but anyways, Rangers in 6.

Kyle
05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Phoenix I had a good feeling about. Didn't know what to make of LA going into the postseason, but certainly didn't expect them to take down both Vancouver and St. Louis and make it look easy.

If they dispatch Phoenix too, as most seem to expect at this point, they'll have gone through all three division winners in the West en route to the Cup Finals.

Phoenix IMO is not that great hockey team you predict to go all the way, but taken in context, they were more than ready for this. Two very strong seasons halted by the Wings, and especially the first series they pushed them to 7 games 2 years ago, they were pretty damn ready that year to play serious playoff hockey. This year they whooped on Red Wings 2.0 (I don't know if Hawks or Sharks gets this distinction but we'll tag the Hawks with it for now) and then they annihilated the team that wooped Detroit. They've beaten their demons and are looking very good with Mike Smith playing better than even Bryzgalov did for them.

With LA, as mediocre (Or downright terrible) as the team in front of Quick was all year, it prepared them for 1 goal playoff-hockey atmospheres. I don't think anyone could predict they'd suddenly start scoring vs the best defenses in the NHL but thats the way it goes sometimes. When you got nothing to lose and everything to gain you get the most out of some players, walking into the playoffs free of pressure or standards seemed to help them immensely. But this is definitely a cinderella story.

habsfan1
05-13-2012, 12:27 PM
NYR in 7, hoping for a LA-NYR SCF.

pjm
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I'll take Rags in 6 - I think Lundqvist outduels Broduer

Mystical112
05-14-2012, 08:22 AM
NJ in 6

toronto1979
05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Devils in 6, this ones also got major potential to be very boring unless NJ is able to fly around out there like in round 2

Boring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIlLbJHKw8M

Doctego
05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Boring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIlLbJHKw8M

What about the rest of the series? Unless there are 30 fights per game, this could be a boring series.

toronto1979
05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
What about the rest of the series? Unless there are 30 fights per game, this could be a boring series.

No one expects 30 fights per game. But I do expect both teams to fight hard and grind each other down to the point of exhaustion. I would expect a few injuries, and both teams to be so physically tired that they will have barely any fight left in them for LA.

This won't be the trapping and strategized series that's won by coaching. This will be won by grinding the other team down.

gogoayane
05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Devils in 6! Brodeur needs outduel Lundy. NYR dont' score much and given they've been in 2 game-7 series already, NJ should have the upperhand to take the lead and go from there.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Hockey is never boring, doc.

Doctego
05-14-2012, 05:36 PM

I was merely referring to to the reference that what happened at the beginning of a regular season game could possibly affect how boring the series could be.

Kyle
05-14-2012, 10:48 PM

We've seen tons of boring hockey this year's playoffs IMO

Kyle
05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
This was closer than a 3-0 game. Lundy is the big difference yet again. Kovy on fire again but hitting every post in the building or just getting robbed by Lundy.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-15-2012, 03:53 PM
We've seen tons of boring hockey this year's playoffs IMO

Baseball, now that's what I call boring.

keyboard
05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Baseball, now that's what I call boring.Most people who do not understand the complexities of the game insult it, something that is true of most things in life. It says less about baseball and more about the person commenting.

Kyle
05-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Well, I enjoyed football and hockey immensely before I understood them. Baseball is a fuckin snoozefest. I'm sure I would love it if I dove in and gave it a real try but It just can't grab my attention enough for me to do that.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
05-16-2012, 01:17 AM
Yeah a real snoozer for me too. Like the complexities of a players rbi, era or batting averages are all that fucking perplexing. I admit, baseball is fun to play (I played softball in HS) and I will even attend the occasional buccos or giants game and enjoy a beer and a dog at the park but when it comes down to being a fan, there is just way too much fucking standing around for my liking. I'd rather watch grass grow than sit through an entire ball game on the tele... it has nothing to do with a lacking comprehension of the rules or strategic mindset of the game. :zzz:

Anyway, whatever, enjoy what you want, to each their own n all that. Some people dig watching bowling or watching golf or enjoy watching guys drive around in circles for 500 some laps, so who am I to be a smug and judgmental prick about it. :)

As for the boring hockey, honestly, I haven't watched as much playoff hockey this season as I usually do. After the Pens and Sharks got the boot I got a little disheartened this year. I have been really busy at the hospital too, so not a whole lot of sit down time. While I am sure there has been some slow or boring hockey played this post season, I just haven't seen much of it myself. Instead the bulk of my post season puck consisted of the three ring circus between the Flyers and the Pens.. and while impossibly bizarre that series was, it was anything but boring!

alias
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
If NYR and LA win NY will have played the lowest possible seed in each round. OTT #8, WSH #7, NJ #6, LA #8. Doubt that ever happened before.

Dubz
05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Yeah a real snoozer for me too. Like the complexities of a players rbi, era or batting averages are all that fucking perplexing. I admit, baseball is fun to play (I played softball in HS) and I will even attend the occasional buccos or giants game and enjoy a beer and a dog at the park but when it comes down to being a fan, there is just way too much fucking standing around for my liking. I'd rather watch grass grow than sit through an entire ball game on the tele... it has nothing to do with a lacking comprehension of the rules or strategic mindset of the game. :zzz:

Anyway, whatever, enjoy what you want, to each their own n all that. Some people dig watching bowling or watching golf or enjoy watching guys drive around in circles for 500 some laps, so who am I to be a smug and judgmental prick about it. :)

As for the boring hockey, honestly, I haven't watched as much playoff hockey this season as I usually do. After the Pens and Sharks got the boot I got a little disheartened this year. I have been really busy at the hospital too, so not a whole lot of sit down time. While I am sure there has been some slow or boring hockey played this post season, I just haven't seen much of it myself. Instead the bulk of my post season puck consisted of the three ring circus between the Flyers and the Pens.. and while impossibly bizarre that series was, it was anything but boring!

Watching grass grow is very under rated. One of my favorite pastimes.:lol: No baseball or basketball for me. I havent even been watching much Nascar the past couple of years. Strictly football and hockey anymore.

alias
05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
If NYR and LA win NY will have played the lowest possible seed in each round. OTT #8, WSH #7, NJ #6, LA #8. Doubt that ever happened before.

and then on the other side the Kings will have played the highest possible seed in each round. VAN #1, STL #2, PHX #3, NYR #1. just noticed that one.....

Kyle
05-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Halfway through Game 3 the Devils are dominating the Rangers who again are getting totally carried by Lundy. This is such an all around mediocre hockey team for the Rangers, they really were most of the year. Lundy is so far having a legendary season and playoffs. Good defense too but they even would be average with most other goalies. Rooting for the NJD strongly now strictly because I don't think NY has much of a chance vs LA the way they're playing.

Edit - Insert foot in mouth! Rangers up 2-0 and have taken control of the game

Doctego
05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Halfway through Game 3 the Devils are dominating the Rangers who again are getting totally carried by Lundy. This is such an all around mediocre hockey team for the Rangers, they really were most of the year. Lundy is so far having a legendary season and playoffs. Good defense too but they even would be average with most other goalies. Rooting for the NJD strongly now strictly because I don't think NY has much of a chance vs LA the way they're playing.

Edit - Insert foot in mouth! Rangers up 2-0 and have taken control of the game

Weird series. The Rangers are up 2-1 and I can say with certainty that the Devils have been the better team for most of the series.

Kyle
05-21-2012, 05:11 PM
On Saturday, Devils coach Peter DeBoer (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8456029) referred to the Rangers' Brandon Prust (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471283) as a "headhunter" after his blow to the back of the head of defenseman Anton Volchenkov (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468501).

On Sunday, Rangers coach John Tortorella responded to that comment by defending Prust and accusing the Devils of embellishing calls and setting illegal picks during their power plays.

"He's probably one of the most honest players," Tortorella said, before launching into a a big chunk of gamesmanship. "I look at (Dainius Zubrus (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8464977)') elbow to (Anton) Stralman. I look at (Zach) Parise launching himself at (Michael) Del Zotto. Maybe if our players stay down on the ice, we'll get something. We tell our players don't stay down on the ice, get up.

"The picking on the power play. If we want to start discussing officials with the media, I've got a long list here. That's a set play by Jersey -- picking so we can't get to (Ilya) Kovalchuk to block his shot. There's some gamesmanship right there, huh?"

The hit by Prust did not draw a penalty, but it did earn him a hearing with the NHL's Department of Player Safety Sunday morning. He explained the hit following an optional practice at Madison Square Garden, saying Volchenkov ducked into the hit at the last moment.

"I was just trying to get in a check before I was at the end of a shift," Prust said. "I was skating over for a routine check to rub him out and get off the ice and he bailed out of it and turned and kind of went low. It's just kind of a reaction when you're off-balance and your arms go up. I didn't want to do a face-plant into the boards. I had no intent to hit him in the head there."

In regards to the intentional interference with the Devils on the power play, Tortorella was referencing Kovalchuk's goal in Game 2. The puck was moved quickly from the right side of the zone to the left side, and a wide-open Kovalchuk was able to snap a shot over the catching glove ofHenrik Lundqvist (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468685).

One of the reasons Kovalchuk was all alone was the Devils' Patrik Elias (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8460542) getting in the way of Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471958).

"I didn't even know I elbowed him," Prust said. "I went to the bench and thought maybe I caught him with my knee, maybe charlie-horsed him. I didn't hit him that hard. I think I just grazed his helmet and it slid up. For sure, he's trying to get a penalty when your helmet comes up. It's just natural trying to sell that."

Rangers/Torts should STFU. It was pretty clear headhunting and illegal picking thats existed in numerous sports for dozens of years is totally irrelevant. Football, hockey, basketball all have their own forms of this and personally I call it good, well-executed strategy when it happens. WR picks in football specifically are brilliant to watch when they get defenders to pick eachother on crossing patterns. Either way, how it relates to an elbow to the head, I'll never know.

Dubz
05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
LETS GO DEVILS!!!

Kyle
05-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Devils are a way better team, good beatdown.

Kyle
05-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Rangers have a lot of rethinking to do going into next season. Their offense is borderline inept and incompetent and I think this is as far as Lundy can ever drag them.

nyrblue2
05-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, when the Rangers were bad in that series, they were real bad. They had some absolutely atrocious starts to some games and their PP has to improve. However, they controlled play for 2/3 of that series and Brodeur played very well. It was too little too late in a few cases after getting down early, but they did not get beatdown by any stretch. Lundqvist was only great later in the series when he had to be spectacular.

Here's to next year. Go Kings.

Kyle
05-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I won't make it sound like the Rangers got destroyed, but offensively inept put it rather properly. A lot of insane bounces and lucky goals disguised what was overall an dismal 6 game offensive effort. Controlled 2/3 of this series is one of the most ridiculous things you could've said, though. I'd say they were as good, if not extremely-slightly better, in just the third period of most games. The first and second unquestionably belonged to the Devils for the overall scope of the series. The first overwhelmingly so, but even the second was fairly bad for the Rangers most series. Rangers only played 20 minutes of respectable hockey a night.

And "Controlled" is a very misleading term. The Rangers virtually never controlled the play this series, they simply occasionally stepped up to the Devils level for 20-30 minute stretches and got outplayed the other half (or more) of near-every game. They never dominated the play, excluding game 5 which is very situational and featured a 3-0 lead by the Devils in the first 10 minutes of the game, where you wouldn't expect them to exactly push the offense all game. Nearly every other game featured 1 half the Devils controlled, and another half where the Rangers were simply "as good." The Rangers struggled to produce quality chances even in most of their "successful" periods while the Devils seemed to have point blank chances every other minute.

Lundy certainly padded what would've otherwise been a dominating effort by the Devils. He destroyed Brodeur in this goalie duel.

nyrblue2
05-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Agree to disagree then. The 2nd and 3rd periods were controlled by the Rangers, especially in the games 4, 5 and 6 (all losses). More shots (which I know isn't everything) and more goals (13-6 including 2 empty netters) in the 2nd and 3rd throughout the course of the series. Obviously, NJ wasn't full gear on offense when they jumped out to early leads, but that doesn't mean that they were just letting themselves be pressured and pinned. It was a very bipolar series for both teams.

Kyle
05-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I recall multiple games where the Rangers didn't turn it on until halfway or later into the second, I just don't think its fair to say they controlled the period throughout. I also think the Rangers had many incompetent periods that produced 8-11 garbage shots. Not every 30 shot game equals competent offensive efforts, just ask the Red Wings who enjoyed inept 30-35 shot performances consistently from February until the Nashville series. I think the Rangers only consistently performed in the third period, but agreed to disagree sounds fine with me!

The original point was I just think this team needs a lot more skill with the puck. There is such a horrific scarcity of puck control skills on the roster and it showed. They had to really grind the hell out of all their goals, which is the playoff way, and the Devils did much of the same. But the Devils consistently got dominating shifts from Kovy, Parise, Elias, where it went beyond a good forecheck and puck control skills began to dominate. I saw next to none of that from Gabby and Richards.

Doctego
05-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, when the Rangers were bad in that series, they were real bad. They had some absolutely atrocious starts to some games and their PP has to improve. However, they controlled play for 2/3 of that series and Brodeur played very well. It was too little too late in a few cases after getting down early, but they did not get beatdown by any stretch. Lundqvist was only great later in the series when he had to be spectacular.

Here's to next year. Go Kings.

Who controlled 2/3 of the series?

Kyle
05-27-2012, 07:17 PM
To answer for him, the Rangers

Doctego
05-28-2012, 12:31 AM
To answer for him, the Rangers

I thought that was what he was saying. I disagree completely. I missed the last game because I was on the road but, unless game 6 went to 16 overtimes and the Rangers "won" every period, I don't see how they controlled 2/3 of the series.

Kyle
05-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Definitely agree with you on that. The numbers are fairly equal but from an objective perspective, the vast majority of play was clearly controlled by the Devils