PDA

View Full Version : Round 1: Philadelphia (5) VS Pittsburgh (4)

canuckthug
04-07-2012, 09:22 PM
The battle of Pennsylvania. These teams and respective fan bases hate each other. This match-up should be a war draining series like everyone thinks. I think the Pens will take it in 6. The Flyers got to stay out of the box and Bryz has to be better than his up & down season. Any word on Briere? He is a good playoff performer and the Flyers will need his services to match the Penguins firepower. Will post schedule as soon as it comes available.

Game 1: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh
Game 2: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh
Game 3: Pittsburgh at Philadelphia
Game 4: Pittsburgh at Philadelphia
*Game 5: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh
*Game 6: Pittsburgh at Philadelphia
*Game 7: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh

*if necessary

Wednesday, April 11, 2012
7:30 p.m.
Philadelphia at Pittsburgh
NBC Sports Network, TSN

Friday, April 13, 2012
NBC Sports Network, TSN

Sunday, April 15, 2012
3 p.m.
Pittsburgh at Philadelphia
NBC, TSN

Wednesday, April 18, 2012
NBC Sports Network, TSN

*Friday, April 20, 2012
NBC Sports Network, TSN

*Sunday, April 22, 2012
TBD
TBD

*Tuesday, April 24, 2012
TBD
TBD

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-08-2012, 01:21 AM
I think the Pens need to stay out of the box just as well. The Flyers PP is pretty potent. Better than the Pens. This series is going to be brutal and likely chalked full of media driven controversy. Pens in 7.

housenuts
04-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Who will start more games for the flyers? bob or bryz?

Hamsterkill
04-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Who will start more games for the flyers? bob or bryz?

Bryz will start every one, likely regardless of how well he plays in them, unless his foot is an issue. For the first time in a while, the Flyers don't have a goalie controversy going into the playoffs.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-08-2012, 03:34 PM
yeah I can't see the Flyers not rolling with Bryz, aside from health issues.

Fuck I can't wait for this series to get underway! Best time of the year

Kyle
04-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Considering it was just a month ago that Bryz was having a near-miserable season and people were wondering if Philly would even move forward with him, I absolutely can see anything happening. Bryz is not Marty Brodeur to the Devils or Ryan Miller to the Sabres, he hasn't earned the right to shit a brick in the playoffs with Philly.. 2 shit performances and I see him gone just like Hasek for Osgood. We've seen backup goalies (Osgood, Halak) post some of the best postseason numbers ever in recent years, theres no positive in going all in on Bryzgalov

Looking forward to these two teams killing eachother

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
True. And BOB has posted great games against Pitt. I certainly hope this series lives up to its hype but I am not looking forward to any added media driven controversy and bullshit, though I am sure this series will be dripping with it.

Is it Weds yet ?

Snipes16
04-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Not to hate on the Flyers because I'd pick them over Florida, Jersey, Ottawa or Washington in a first round matchup. But I'm more high on Pittsburgh than I'm down on Philly in this one even though Philly has played them tough but I'd throw that out the window.

The overall body of work I've seen from Bryz or Bob this year doesn't translate well vs the Pens offense. Surprised to hear Bonger give Philly the edge on the PP because I'd take the Pens top 4 of Geno, Crosby, Letang and Neal over anybody going into these playoffs. Dawinna could man the other point with those 4 and they wouldn't skip a beat.

I like the Pens in 5 with Hextall getting the only win for Philly.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Not to hate on the Flyers because I'd pick them over Florida, Jersey, Ottawa or Washington in a first round matchup. But I'm more high on Pittsburgh than I'm down on Philly in this one even though Philly has played them tough but I'd throw that out the window.

The overall body of work I've seen from Bryz or Bob this year doesn't translate well vs the Pens offense. Surprised to hear Bonger give Philly the edge on the PP because I'd take the Pens top 4 of Geno, Crosby, Letang and Neal over anybody going into these playoffs. Dawinna could man the other point with those 4 and they wouldn't skip a beat.

I like the Pens in 5 with Hextall getting the only win for Philly.

Well to clarify my thoughts -- Since Sid has come back the Pens PP has been a sort of work in progress. I don't think we've seen the best that unit has to offer yet.... Philly PP has impressed me all year though. Pretty sure they are tops in the league in that category, or at least top 3.

Honestly, this is the series I really didn't want to see but I feel like if Pitt can get past Philly they can get past anybody in the East.

Roy Hinske
04-08-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm seeing the pens in 6. Sure hope the series lives up to the hype. Should be the most interesting IMHO.

Snipes16
04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Well to clarify my thoughts -- Since Sid has come back the Pens PP has been a sort of work in progress. I don't think we've seen the best that unit has to offer yet.... Philly PP has impressed me all year though. Pretty sure they are tops in the league in that category, or at least top 3.

Honestly, this is the series I really didn't want to see but I feel like if Pitt can get past Philly they can get past anybody in the East.

Wow Bonger, you think Philly is a tougher out than Boston or the Rags are for the Pens?

I'd think that both Boston and the Rangers have the two ingredients in goaltending and defense that could cause much more of a problem for them. Philly has better forwards than those two teams but I dont think running and gunning with the Pens is the answer in these playoffs especially with their questions in net...we'll see

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Wow Bonger, you think Philly is a tougher out than Boston or the Rags are for the Pens?

I'd think that both Boston and the Rangers have the two ingredients in goaltending and defense that could cause much more of a problem for them. Philly has better forwards than those two teams but I dont think running and gunning with the Pens is the answer in these playoffs especially with their questions in net...we'll see

Yeah I kinda do! I dunno what it is about Philly but I have just wanted the Pens to avoid this series all along. I know regular season means jack shit when it comes to the playoffs but with Philly winning so many games against Pitt this season and at CEC, there is just something about the Flyers that irks me. Like they just seem to have a way of getting into the Pens heads a little more than other teams in the East. Who knows though.. there are plenty of teams that are stacked and capable of representing the EC in the SCF.

Hamsterkill
04-09-2012, 12:11 AM

I'm in agreement with Sponge. I would rather have had the Pens face the Rags in the first round since I think they match up well against NY and the Rangers are not as bruising a team as Philly is going to be here. I'm not sure whether I'd prefer Boston or Philly, though. Both are bruising teams to have to face in a first round matchup and both can match up well against the Pens' strengths. I'd prefer that they played each other honestly. :lol:

Hamsterkill
04-09-2012, 01:04 AM
True. And BOB has posted great games against Pitt. I certainly hope this series lives up to its hype but I am not looking forward to any added media driven controversy and bullshit, though I am sure this series will be dripping with it.

Is it Weds yet ?

By the way, Bobrovsky's career stats against Pittsburgh are significantly worse than Bryzgalov's.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-09-2012, 01:47 AM
By the way, Bobrovsky's career stats against Pittsburgh are significantly worse than Bryzgalov's.

Yeah? I always thought BOB had pretty good numbers against the Pens but I guess Bryz must be even better!

Special teams & goaltending is going to be huge in this series. Gonna need MAF to be on his game. No reason he shouldn't be. The kid has quietly had a very stellar season. Geno has it in the bag but the flower might very well be the Pens real MVP.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Stat of the day: with core players* all in the lineup, the Pittsburgh Penguins (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/teams/pittsburgh-penguins) had a 8-2-2 record in 2011-12.

*Core players being defined as Marc-Andre Fleury (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/54838/marc-andre-fleury), Kris Letang (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55422/kris-letang), Sidney Crosby (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55428/sidney-crosby), Evgeni Malkin (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55425/evgeni-malkin), Jordan Staal (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55397/jordan-staal) and James Neal (http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55188/james-neal).

Kyle
04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Penguins in 7 is my prediction, BTW

Edit - Sponge, gonna have to /yawn at that stat! Only because that means they were 43-23-4 without their "Core" in tact, or an average of roughly 7-4-1 over any 12 game stretch. So their points % goes from around 65% injured to 75% fully healthy. 65% still would've landed them ahead of Detroit, Philly Nashville on the standings.

I'm not disagreeing that its great to have your full core healthy. I'm just saying the Pens tend to be just as scary of a team with or without their core in tact!

Dubz
04-10-2012, 11:12 PM
I think the Pens wipe the Flyers....in 5 games. Do you really think the Pens will be in the box more? Or the Flyers have good enough goaltending to steal a game? Even if you do this isnt gonna go past 6.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-11-2012, 02:50 AM
Penguins in 7 is my prediction, BTW

Edit - Sponge, gonna have to /yawn at that stat! Only because that means they were 43-23-4 without their "Core" in tact, or an average of roughly 7-4-1 over any 12 game stretch. So their points % goes from around 65% injured to 75% fully healthy. 65% still would've landed them ahead of Detroit, Philly Nashville on the standings.

I'm not disagreeing that its great to have your full core healthy. I'm just saying the Pens tend to be just as scary of a team with or without their core in tact!

Well the part of that which stood out to me is that the core has only been together for 12 games all season. And let's not even discuss last year. It's been a long time since this team was healthy. Hoping they can get on a deep run so we can really see them play.

Kyle
04-11-2012, 08:04 AM
For sure!

dw13
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm just saying the Pens tend to be just as scary of a team with or without their core in tact!

I'm not trying to stir the pot but you laughed at me endlessly when I said this last year during the Tampa/Pens series but it's certainly something I agree with.

Kyle
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Haha, definitely not above changing my perspective when I feel I've seen enough to do so!

I thought the Pens made a much more convincing statement this year...I do agree with you that I under-credited their quality last year (When they were injured) but theres no disputing that they played much better with their B team this year than last year...while the overall standings last year were about just as good, I think my main argument was this long streak where they won a lot of games (Without Crosby and Malkin I believe) but all by 1 goal, while getting blown out numerous times, for something like a 7-3-1 record but a -10 goal differential or something like that. This is when they were supposed to lose without Malkin and everybody was so shocked that they simply weren't. So I just made the point that while they're winning, they are getting consistently outplayed and we shouldn't make too much of it.

This year theres just no question that any team in the NHL is afraid to play the Pens and a likely unfavorable mismatch with or without Crosby.

The difference this year IMO is almost stupidly simple: Neal and Staal. Those two turned a 2headed monster into a 4headed beast and turned a one trick pony (Okay, two tricks with Crosby healthy) into 4 scarily effective line combinations. They truly elevated the team to that elite status

dw13
04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
I was just giving you shit. :beer:

This will be a fun series.

Hamsterkill
04-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Gonna miss most of the first game for a softball practice, so... LET'S GO PENS!

phaneuf6
04-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Gonna miss most of the first game for a softball practice, so... LET'S GO PENS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI)

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Well that was some pretty flawless hockey by the Pens there in the 1st. Holy smokes. Love the tempo and energy of this game so far. Sid is a man on fire out there.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-11-2012, 09:06 PM
wow

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
That offside goal by Briere really changed the momentum of this game thus far. Pens guilty of sitting back after coming out so strong. What a disappointing third period. Can't say I am surprised to see OT though.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Nice win for the Flyers. Pitt got lazy and sat back way too much after jumping out to a 3-0 lead. Fuck. Hopefully they learn from this.

keyboard
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Better team won tonight. I can't see PIT losing game two.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Safe to assume we need a big game out of the flower and Geno tonight. Geno needs to be that dominating force that we all know he can be. He just seemed a little off to me during game 1. Gotta tie this one up headed back to Philly boys!

Also, like I said -- Pitt PP. Gotta tighten it up and get it going. Philly was 1/1 and Pitt 0/3 in game 1. Special teams killed the Pens in game 1. As did sitting back and forgetting that hockey is played for 60 minutes + not 20.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Okay Pens let's play like that for 2 more periods!

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-13-2012, 08:18 PM
wow what the fuck

the flyers just won't go away

Kyle
04-13-2012, 09:10 PM
lmao The Flyers love ruining the Penguin's night

dw13
04-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Flyers have nuts. Who knew.

What a crazy 2 games.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Wow. Just wow. Props to the Flyers for battling back the way they seem to do. Crazy couple of games. I am really disappointed in the Pens thus far. Defense blows, Can't protect a lead. What else can you say???

alias
04-13-2012, 10:12 PM
I dont have the stats or anything but I'd bet the Flyers are top 3 in the league in coming from behind in games. They're never down and out.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Not gonna count any chickens til the eggs hatch. Even though this porous defense, the inability to protect multiple goal leads and the horrorific play of MAF is making me fear a sweep. However, there is no home ice advantage in this rivalry. The Flyers are 7-1 at Consol over the last 2 seasons and the Pens are 7-3 at Wells Fargo Center over the past 3. Playing in each others barn seems to bring out the best in each team. Hope that continues tomorrow afternoon!

Dubz
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
if the pens lose the next one everyone including themslves know they are done. They had the lead and couldnt put together a decent defence....they should have taken a page or two from the Bruins playbook, they'd be up 2-0 imo

Doctego
04-15-2012, 03:08 PM
How the fuck did Schenn get a penalty on that shit? That's fucking bullshit.

Kyle
04-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Wow Letang should just stay injured if hes going to play like a braindead fucking dipshit and take crosschecking penalties like that to hand away 5 on 3's. Penguins lacking discipline, lacking class, playing like rowdy babies out there and giving away virtually their last chance at a cup run by playing like goons instead of skilled players in the 1st period. Theres 40 minutes to take the game back and they've basically given up and resorted to "message sending" for next season. Sad, way to shit on the best matchup of the postseason Penguins.

Whos the little shit pushing gloves away while players are picking them up? Crosby... Then grabbing Timonen's jersey and starting another fight after the dust was supposed to settle, I don't know a better word than "Whiney asshole" to describe this kid! Hes got guts, but hes just a kid throwing a tantrum out there.

Edit - WOW, Asham is a piece of shit. The hit was 200% clean, nothing even remotely wrong with it. You can't cross-check a guy's fucking neck. Could've literally killed Schenn. Disgusting, way worse than what Weber did to Zetterberg. Fucking sick.

What a dramatic 1st period. Ridiculous, I didn't want to watch this game fully but I feel like I could miss a televised murder if I tune out now.

Last 1st period thought - Fleury has looked nothing short of total, worthless garbage all post-season.

*Pens hater, admitted, this is good medicine for the Red Wings loss!

Kyle
04-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Penguins can wipe that 1st period clean very quickly by just coming back and making this a series. Maybe they got it all out of their system, this should be an amazing 40 minutes.

keyboard
04-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't get why Letand and Timonen get game misconducts. If anything Crosby should have got one being a shit disturber but of course that's never going to happen.

Doctego
04-15-2012, 04:14 PM
I love Crosby's game skill-wise but the shit he's pulling is proof-positive why he is so hated. His supporters can say what they want and envy certainly plays a part but all that you have to do is put this game tape on and watch him.

keyboard
04-15-2012, 04:46 PM
There was a discussion in another thread on how much PIT is hated and one of the dirtiest, whiniest teams in the league. They are being exposed this series for all that, plus choking. Series couldn't be going any worse for them.

Kyle
04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Now Neal leaves his feet (blatantly) and throws a useless, dirty hit that might hurt the Flyers going forward into the postseason.

Penguins are the classless shitstains on the league's underpants.

Doctego
04-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Nice clean hit by Neal on Couturier.

Kyle
04-15-2012, 04:58 PM
WOW and then Neal goes for Giroux's head on the next shift!!!!!

This is outrageous. The Penguins have absolutely lost it.

CROSBY SUCKS! CROSBY SUCKS!

Preach it Flyers fans. Crosby, you choked you fucking joke. Lost his composure in the 1st, never got it back.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Embarrassing. I never in a million years would have thought this is how this series was gonna go down. No defense. No composure. Ugly & some cheap shots. Terrible. Lose with some fucking class. Damn. I like the fire in the blood but don't appreciate any cheap shotting. I am not sure what else I can say.

Doctego
04-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't remember Neal being dirty in the past but he has a lot of explaining to do for the last few minutes.

Kyle
04-15-2012, 05:03 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now Adams is pulling hair. This is the most embarrassing team melt down I've ever witnessed.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't remember Neal being dirty in the past but he has a lot of explaining to do for the last few minutes.

I don't either? Why didn't they just eject him & try to avoid all of this madness. This is turning into a fucking circus. Kind of embarrassed to be a Pens fan right now.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-15-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.pensburgh.com/2012/4/15/2950810/an-open-letter-to-penguins-management

Yep... :$

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
The Flyers deserve to move on. I wish them luck.

Kyle
04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Crosby is the most undeserving captain in NHL history. His points won't earn him anyone's respect, he handled himself like a classless dickhead. Tough guy will throw punches to the back of heads and fight Giroux but he runs away from Hartnell or Schenn like a bitch. Whacked at Bryz's glove repeatedly, started a post-whistle scrum almost every time he was on the ice, picked fights and let his teammates actually fight them. Only he could start 12 fights in 1 game and still look like a complete pussywhipped wimp. Somehow managed to not land 1 good punch despite it all, too. His team needed him to lead by example and get to business, instead he lead the circus and was the first guy to totally lose his cool. Rest of the team followed suit. Don't care about how many points he has in the playoffs, he let his team down in games 1 and 2 by disappearing late and let them down in a much worse way in game 3.

Okay, last rant about that nonsense. Tort's is definitely making an "I told you so face" right now, though.

keyboard
04-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I think Neal's antics were in response to that Grossman knee-on-knee hit with him.

As for the Crosby thing, definitely not his finest moment but I wouldn't say "worst captain in history". Plus, as bad as Crosby was I'd prefer that to Malkin who disappeared altogether.

Doctego
04-15-2012, 06:43 PM
I don't either? Why didn't they just eject him & try to avoid all of this madness. This is turning into a fucking circus. Kind of embarrassed to be a Pens fan right now.

The refs or the coach should have made sure that Neal was nowhere near the ice after the Couturier/Giroux incidents. What the fuck was he still doing on the ice?

And I really hope that Couturier and Giroux are fine. They came back but head injuries have a way of creaping up after the adrenaline wears off.

Kyle
04-15-2012, 06:55 PM
I think Neal's antics were in response to that Grossman knee-on-knee hit with him.

As for the Crosby thing, definitely not his finest moment but I wouldn't say "worst captain in history". Plus, as bad as Crosby was I'd prefer that to Malkin who disappeared altogether.

Fair enough. Its just outrageous to see one of history's finest players let his emotions throw away a playoff series. I think he could've drastically changed the Penguins dirty direction this game with some more mature decisions.

Hamsterkill
04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, that was embarassing...

Kyle
04-16-2012, 01:17 AM
"It was near me and he went to pick it up and I pushed it," Crosby said.

When it was suggested to Crosby that he could have skated away, he scoffed.
"Skate away?" Crosby asked rhetorically. "Oh, well I didn't that time.
"I don't have to sit here and explain why I pushed a glove away," he added. "They are doing a lot of things out there, too. You know what, we don't like each other. Was I going to sit there and pick up his glove? What was I supposed to do?"

lol, oh Sid, you stay just as douchey in post-game interviews.

To answer his question. Gee, I dunno, maybe not push the glove? Moron.

"You know, there is more than one team getting in those things so you can make a story all you want about us getting frustrated," Crosby said after his team absorbed an 8-4 loss Sunday at Wells Fargo Center. "We are playing playoff hockey and they are doing the same things we are. It's intense and you can say that we got frustrated, but we didn't.

Only one team crosschecked somebody's neck (Asham), headhunted with late high hits (Neal), threw repeated punches at blindsided unknowing fighters (Crosby, Adams)... and only one team pulled somebody's hair (Adams).

RJV
04-16-2012, 06:09 AM
if I was a Pitt fan, I would be thoroughly embarrassed. Pittsburghs actions in game 3 were shockingly childish and uncharacteristic of a professional sports organization.

Doctego
04-16-2012, 07:13 AM
if I was a Pitt fan, I would be thoroughly embarrassed. Pittsburghs actions in game 3 were shockingly childish and uncharacteristic of a professional sports organization.

When you also consider Crosby's reputation (which many have defended) and Lemieux speaking out against the same actions that his team has been guilty of, it doesn't look good for them. Philly isn't without blame but I think that Pittsburgh has clearly been the douchier team in this series. I also understand (but don't condone) the aggression because many teams would do the same when they are threatened with going down 3-0. That said, the thing that really disgusted me was the bullshit that Crosby pulled when Giroux was trying to pick up the glove and Crosby moved it with his stick. That is baby shit to the extreme.

chgorman
04-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Would not be upset at all to see PIT and VAN swept in the first round.

Kyle
04-16-2012, 09:33 AM
In both team's defense, though, they'll likely return as the best in their conferences next season and fight eachother for the presidents again :lol:

They just need to dust off this postseason's miserable failure and move on. Red Wings suffered that first round defeat against Anahiem and everyone said the mighty fell then too. We were right back next year. An occasionally embarrassing run is inevitable when you're in the playoffs every year.

That small dosage of humility aside, FUCK YES its nice to see these two get smoked! More specifically its damn nice to see all the little things us Wings fans (and other fanbases closely tied to the Penguins like rangers/Flyers) have complained about for years from Crosby and gang come to light in full force. No more "Oh people just hate Crosby to hate." Nice that we can all establish that we can't stand the kid cause hes a classless fuckin douche!

Now all Ovechkin needs to do is become a worthwhile hockey player again and he can steal some personal momentum back this postseason. At least until Crosby doubles his point total next season. ;)

Gern Blansten
04-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Quasi-related, but hilarious. Trending nationally on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23pulledacrosby (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23pulledacrosby)

"Burned the pop tart this morning so I pulled a Crosby and smashed all of my wife's porcelain in the fireplace." :D

Kyle
04-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Hahahahha :lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
I hope Sid and company learn from this debacle. As a fan, it really fucking sucks seeing your team behaving in such a way. I could take the Pens going down 3-0, being swept, but what's hard to take is watching them act like little bitches and lose without their dignity and class in tact.

I can't argue that the Pens have def. been the douchier club this series but the Flyers are not without blame this year and in years past. Everybody jumps on the current train, short memories, yadda yadda. And the Pens yesterday so politely offered the haters plenty of fuel for that fire. So Adams pulled Harnell's girly hair. That hippie needs a haircut. Remember when Hartnell bit Kris Letang? Briere laid a nasty knee to Gonchar, Richards elbowed Fleury. Etc. Etc. I am in NO way condoning what Pittsburgh did yesterday. I'm ashamed. I spent an hour trying to explain to my gf what was going on and found myself having to defend the sport as a whole b/c of the ridiculous antics yesterday... But I mean if you examine the grudge battles between these two clubs over the years you can compile a disgustedly impressive list of dirty/ugly/cheap shot douchery on all fronts.

This round of asshole just happens to belong to the Pens. In a sense, roles have been switched up here. And props to the Flyers for being a more focused/disciplined group this year, something they in part probably owe to Pittsburgh 07/08 08/09 teams which sent Philly golfing after a 5 game ECF and a 6 game quarterfinals showdown.

Flyers were due & I think they finally have the makeup to win the Stanley Cup. Now excuse me while I go throw up.

canuckthug
04-16-2012, 05:14 PM
The Penguins look rattled/outmatched. "You can't beat us!" Its surprising to see Crosby getting caught up in all the after whistle nonsense after he said he wasn't going to do that anymore. If Crosby gets in a fight (that he initiates), he could end up getting concussed again and you can see the Flyers don't want it to go there. Crosby needs to focus on what he does best or he could be signing early retirement papers. I was never sold on Pittsburgh's defense but Fleury is bailing nobody out and looking horrible. Claude Giroux is playing > Crosby and like Keyboard said, Malkin has been a no-show.

Snipes16
04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
All the riff raff aside, you really do have to give Paul Holmgren a ton of credit for re creating the makeup of that club after getting broomed last year. It took balls to deal Richards but in order to afford Bryz he had to do it. Jagr has turned out to be a good move. Schenn is starting to look like the goods. Couturiere landed in his lap I believe at # 8 last year and Read has been excellent as well. Good drafting and solid FA moves have them looking legit as contenders.

I've gotta eat some humble pie with the Pens too. There were chinks in the armour going down the stretch with this club. The B2B losses to the Isles should have been a tipoff that this team was headed in the wrong direction because Fleury played in those 2 games like he's looked in this series which is dreadful. I'd have yanked him after Philly's first goal yesterday which was as bad a goal as you'll ever see.

These games vs Philly have taken on a pattern of Pittsburgh getting an early lead with Philly just stalking them. As the games go on the ice just opens up in Philly's favor especially in the neutral zone where there is no noticeable D being played. Should have known better that both of Paul Martin and Matt Niskanen would be playing way too minutes for that club to win it all.

Kyle
04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Sponge, the Penguins this year are definitely not the dirtiest team of all time or anything remotely close. I'd say the Penguins now are only as bad as the Flyers were in just 2009. Really, Flyers carried this exact reputation with them for damn year 30 years prior to that. You can shake off this rep quickly. Much like everybody forgot about Cooke after a clean year, people will forget about this.

Or the Penguins keep it up into next season and become indisputably sport's most hated franchise. Because every dirty hit they land next season will be amplified tenfold. I think the better chances are the Penguins clean up their rep next year.

Kyle
04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
All the riff raff aside, you really do have to give Paul Holmgren a ton of credit for re creating the makeup of that club after getting broomed last year. It took balls to deal Richards but in order to afford Bryz he had to do it. Jagr has turned out to be a good move. Schenn is starting to look like the goods. Couturiere landed in his lap I believe at # 8 last year and Read has been excellent as well. Good drafting and solid FA moves have them looking legit as contenders.

I've gotta eat some humble pie with the Pens too. There were chinks in the armour going down the stretch with this club. The B2B losses to the Isles should have been a tipoff that this team was headed in the wrong direction because Fleury played in those 2 games like he's looked in this series which is dreadful. I'd have yanked him after Philly's first goal yesterday which was as bad a goal as you'll ever see.

These games vs Philly have taken on a pattern of Pittsburgh getting an early lead with Philly just stalking them. As the games go on the ice just opens up in Philly's favor especially in the neutral zone where there is no noticeable D being played. Should have known better that both of Paul Martin and Matt Niskanen would be playing way too minutes for that club to win it all.

This is why I was never quite entirely sold on how "stacked" the Penguin's four lines are. Sure when Crosby and Malkin are on 150 point pace, but there are a few really awful players on that front 12, who can give the team a horribly inconsistent look that creates "gaps" in the games when certain players need rest (Or they don't rest and simply get over-fatigued and outskated like Malkin has been), and those gaps are incredibly opportune moments for the other team.

Defensively, Pens lack their reliable guy. Hal Gill is a phenomenal penalty killing specialist but he is not a phenomenal 5on5 shutdown D-man. They have no true shutdown guy in a 5on5 situation. No Pronger for Penguins, Hell, not even a Timonen. This team has glaring holes, offensive explosions weren't going to carry them vs a team equally stacked up front. Philly matches Pittsburgh with superior forward talent and dramatically better defense/goaltending. This year aside, Bryzgalov is a goaltender in another league than Fleury will ever reach. Hes looked human this year but so have Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas in recent years past. Philly is just better.

And thats without Pronger. The Penguins not only would've looked like worthless pussies trying this classless nonsense against Prongers massive self (Who would've been on the ice for 30+ minutes a game and every time Crosby was out on the ice. His pussywhipped self wouldn't have pushed that glove with Pronger around, for damn sure.

Hamsterkill
04-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Defensively, Pens lack their reliable guy. Hal Gill is a phenomenal penalty killing specialist but he is not a phenomenal 5on5 shutdown D-man. They have no true shutdown guy in a 5on5 situation. .

Why are we bringing a Predators D-man into this discussion?

The Pens' shutdown guys are Orpik and Michalek -- both of which are generally able to accomplish both 5-on-5 and PK shutdown responsibility.

You will never get me to buy that the Flyers are a better team than the Pens. They've outplayed the Pens in the series to be sure, but that should not be happening. The Pens are a much stronger and deeper team than the shitstorm that's been on display the last week. Almost every analyst alive wasn't high when they picked the Pens to win this series.

As for Fleury vs Bryz, that's not an argument I'm going to get into. Suffice to say I haven't seen Fleury play this badly for this long since 2006.

The Pens are the better team. They just seem to have forgotten that in this series.

Kyle
04-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Huge brain fart! Let myself think he was still on the Pens for a second.

The Flyers outplayed the Pens all year. Don't know what you've been smoking but they whooped you all year. You went 1-4 against them, discounting your regular season ending victory that was entirely worthless and trivial for both sides. Thats an 8 game sample size this last year the Flyers have dominated 7-1 and scored unheard of amounts of goals.

That shutdown pair is mediocre at best by today's NHL standards. I don't exactly think top forwards are shaking in their skates as they approach them. If you don't have that dominant 30-minute total shutdown guy (Pronger, Chara, younger Lidstrom) you at least need the quality blueline depth to back it up. The Penguins don't have the blue-line depth and don't have that dominant guy (or two) on the top pair to compensate.

As for Fleury vs bryz, its an argument nobody should get into because its the stupidest fucking argument capable of going down in hockey right now. Fleury is no all star goaltender, he is not one of the tops in this league. He is middle of the pack in one of the most competitive eras (If not easily THE most) for goaltenders in NHL history. Bryzgalov, in this ultra competitive era, was the NHLs best goaltender the previous two seasons. To sit there and even utter him in the same sentence as Fleury is horribly insulting because at his WORST this year, Bryzgalov was as good as Fleury has ever been at his best. If you don't want to talk now because Fleury has been so bad lately, how about last year? Or the year before that? Fleury wasn't any better, and Bryzgalov was incredible and off the charts both seasons. Honestly, Fleury has been "Hardly average at best" for the last 3 years excluding one fantastic stretch during injuries (And even then he managed to drag his numbers down to mediocre by year's end).

And according to analysts and Penguin's faithful, this actually was Fleury's most positive season going into the playoffs, easily. Everyone has quietly said he might be the real Penguins MVP all year while Malkin was dominating. And really it was still nothing more than a very average regular season and its culminated into a disastrous playoff run. Fleury and Bryzgalov in the same sentence is something you'll never get me to buy.

Anyway, back to business. Pens are a better team? They just forgot it? They were outplayed by the Flyers from season's beginning to season's end. You're sitting there and acknowledging the defensive skill of these losers, calling them the "Clearly better team" over the Flyers, when they've lost 7-1 over the last 8 games against them?

Now the fun part...The "superior" Penguins with their unmatched forward depth and all star goalies, allowed FORTY GOALS over those 8 games. 5 goals a game over an 8 game sample size in less than one total fucking year? Thats unheard of, virtually impossible really. You have to try to be a bunch of defensively irresponsible losers to fail time and time again to figure out anything productive against a team continually beating you (The only team regularly beating you, really. Oh, forgot the Islanders), and actually instead to get worse and worse, and collapse for even MORE goals allowed in the later 3 games than you did the first 5. Somehow the Flyers are the ones who figured out more about the Pens, even after they beat them over and over (Typically a loss is supposed to teach you much more than a win). 40 goals over 8 games was amazing by 1980's Oilers standards, virtually doesn't happen now.

Sorry, but I think it is the absolute supreme arrogant joke of the hockey world to sit there and have the balls to say this Penguins team is in any remote way better than this Flyers team. Really its incredibly arrogant to not simply acknowledge this Flyers team is actually much better because they have been all season. When you dominate the season series and then dominate the playoff series worse, you have to accept it for what it is.

I had no issue admitting the Wings got outclassed by SJ last year and the year before. Even said before game 7 we were lucky to be here (Thanks mainly to Howard and some incredibly aggressive third periods in games we didn't quite deserve). Swallow your humble pie and acknowledge a hockey club that is simply better than the one you cheer for and has proved it beyond a reasonable doubt.

Vancouver has a chance vs LA. The Penguins are so done the NHL would be wise to just end the series now and avoid a potential blood bath.

Hamsterkill
04-16-2012, 08:06 PM
1. Don't put quotes around something that's not actually a quote.

2. Perhaps I'm just not as susceptible to radical changes in my opinion of teams and players based on one week of play. You did, after all, originally pick the Pens to win this series as well. And you also had the gall to suggest that the "NHLs best goaltender the previous two seasons" (proper use of quotes) had not even earned the right to be Philly's clear playoff starter before this series.

Pardon me if I don't give your opinion of the teams involved more credence than my own.

Kyle
04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
I disputed the ridiculous notion that Philly is required by loyalty to remain with Bryz regardless how shitty he may be. That has nothing to do with my thoughts on his quality as a player, I simply disagreed that he had the right to play as bad as he wanted. Especially when he was an attitude issue earlier in the year when he hit a rough stretch. Really not seeing what relevance any of this has to Bryzgalov being in another league than Fleury.

Call the Penguins better than the Flyers (I won't call this ridiculous, I'll put it nicer and say 0% of the world outside Penguins fans believes this), but comparing Fleury to Bryzgalov is never anything but stupid.

Hamsterkill
04-16-2012, 09:11 PM
I disputed the ridiculous notion that Philly is required by loyalty to remain with Bryz regardless how shitty he may be.

If that's what you thought I was trying to say, you have a terribly low opinion of my hockey knowledge. I don't even know how anyone could get that idea.

If Howard shits the bed in a playoff game and gives up 8 goals, do you start Joey Mac for the next one? Because I would expect a Wings fan to say "No, Howard gives us the best chance to win on any given night, regardless of his play last game." I was saying Bryz is in the same situation. Nothing at all to do some notion of 'loyalty' and frankly I'm fairly dubious you ever really thought I meant that.

Kyle
04-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Hamster, I couldn't respect your opinion on hockey more. I don't talk classy enough when I'm hating on- I mean- discussing the Penguins, I'll touch it up ;)

"Required by loyalty" was what I quickly typed in a rushed reply. My point was I was more focused on the issue of him being replaced than his quality as a goaltender when I addressed that. "Required by loyalty" was not what I interpreted from your point. What I interpreted was, because of Bryzgalov's statu, you simply couldn't disrespect him or hurt his confidence no matter how bad he might play. It seems I still misunderstood you, but the loyalty bit was really out of thin air.

That said, still don't agree. Bobs had an 11 game stretch in 2 months midway through the year of 3 or less goals allowed per game and only 21 goals allowed total, went 8-3 and had an amazing sv%. Then they sat him for two weeks and he never really came back in form and just trudged his way to a bad season statistically. But I think the Flyers would be more than willing to try him if Bryzgalov was the scapegoat in a few losses.

No one expected Osgood to replace Hasek in 08, especially after Hasek started with two great games. But it only took 1 bad game and half of another bad game for the Wings to wisely give their backup a chance. He shut the door for 30 minutes, they gave him a chance to do so for 60 next game, he did, and we had a new starting goalie. Bobs is no worse than Osgood (Ozzy might've been considered among the worst in the league at the time honestly) and Bryz no better than Hasek.

To reply to the scenario you proposed with Howard, I don't think that at all actually. Yes hes more of our franchise goalie than we've had in 20 years, but if he shits a break and Joey Mac plays superbly to finish out a game, the job in the playoffs would be Joey Mac's until he played bad enough to justify replacing. Unless you really think they would never give Joey Mac the chance and to that I just have to laugh because the Wings aren't that organization. They play the best goalie for them now, as should anybody. We let Joey Mac start numerous games over a healthy Howard around the end of the home winning streak ( a little later even) when Howard wasn't quite on top of his game upon returning. Some players hit a rut or find a rare stride, you have to be willing to adapt. I do believe Howard would be harder to bench than Hasek was (Loyalty does exist and Howard is earning it) but I'm rather sure it would happen if he played awful. Thankfully we've never had to see a bad Howard in the playoffs.

If we were losing 0-3 to SJ last year because of Howard, I assure you he would've been gone. He stayed in because he played well, really in nearly all 7 games. We haven't had a goalie to blame for a loss in a very, very long time.

keyboard
04-17-2012, 12:33 AM
I've gotta eat some humble pie with the Pens too. There were chinks in the armour going down the stretch with this club.
Richard Park and I think your comment was racist.

mrtybrodur30
04-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Richard Park and I think your comment was racist.
:lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Neal gets 1 game, Asham 4. The wheel of justice has spoken.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-18-2012, 04:08 AM

Cover of the Daily news this morning. Make sure you check out the Pens/Flyers preview on pages 70-66 :wtf:

Sweep or no sweep, tomorrows game is must see reality television.

Doctego
04-18-2012, 05:28 AM
You got a free link?

Dubz
04-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Thats horrible press imo. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Guess they cant sell newspapers anymore so they are all turning into the daily inquirer.

Hamsterkill
04-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Thats horrible press imo. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Guess they cant sell newspapers anymore so they are all turning into the daily inquirer.

It was already like Daily Inquirer. I don't what it's like in Canada, but there's no tabloids in the US that have journalistic credibility. That isn't the Philly newspaper (which ironically is called the Philadelphia Inquirer).

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-18-2012, 04:16 PM
You got a free link?

Digital copy -

http://phillydailynews.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Pens in 7!

:D

fancy19
04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
well, I can't wait to see the final score of this game if this keeps going LOL

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-18-2012, 07:30 PM
This series has been nothing short of bonkers

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-18-2012, 07:33 PM
We should pull both goaltenders and just use these

dw13
04-18-2012, 08:20 PM
What a stupid series :lol:

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
There's the Flyers we know and hate!

See ya later Rinaldo, bitch!

Good to see us on the other side of things for once with an insane 9-3 lead. Not happy to see the cheapshotting on either side of the puck but it is nice to be able to say that without question -- the nastiness goes both ways.

This series is just bizarre!

Proud of the guys response tonight. Tables look reversed. I knew this team wouldn't go down without a fight and as we all know, that 4th W is the hardest to get. Let's finish this up with everyones heads intact and take it back to the Burgh for game 5!

Jake
04-18-2012, 08:56 PM
This was like the vintage Oilers, now its like a football score. Crazy, all three goalies should be embarrassed.

Snipes16
04-18-2012, 09:00 PM
dont poke the penguin

alias
04-18-2012, 10:15 PM
what the hell is happening....I can't remember the last time I saw double digits on the scoreboard in a playoff game

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-20-2012, 02:45 AM
No suspension for Rinaldo, not even a hearing, fucking seriously ? :wtf:

dw13
04-20-2012, 05:02 AM
No suspension for Rinaldo, not even a hearing, fucking seriously ? :wtf:

He was tossed from the game when, probably, he should of just received a roughing penalty.

It wasn't that​ bad, IMO.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-20-2012, 08:15 AM
He was tossed from the game when, probably, he should of just received a roughing penalty.

It wasn't that​ bad, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ho-5QpRYk

Are you high? :wtf:

In a series like this, with the suspensions that have been handed out, involving a guy who is a repeat offender & was clearly taking multiple intent to injure cross checks to a player on his knees, not to mention attempted boarding/a botched elbow to the back of the head among other obvious liberties to the head of a player with previous concussion troubles, in a league that claims to be worried about head shots and concussions, gimme a break.

Matt Cooke basically got mobbed by some Flyers and was somehow ejected from the game bc of it but what Rinaldo did and attempted to do to Michalek only deserved the same punishment? I know I am a Pens fan (who tries very hard not to be blinded by too much bias) but that seems really fucking ridiculous to me!

phaneuf6
04-20-2012, 08:43 AM
dawinna's right. It would've probably been a double minor for roughing but with the score as it was, the refs just got rid of him because they knew he could cause problems for them later.

Hamsterkill
04-20-2012, 09:33 AM
It was always gonna be a game misconduct, guys. When you smack a guy who's already on his knees from the previous smack you gave him, it's a good bet you're getting tossed -- especially when you have Rinaldo's rep.

It didn't look like a suspension-worthy altercation, though (unless it had happened in the final 5 minutes, of course). I think the only way he was getting suspended was if he gave Michalek another concussion with those cheap shots.

Rocklobster
04-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Yep, you guys are high. Rinaldo deserves a suspension just as much as Neal or Asham did. League is a joke and it's embarrassing to see shit like this go unpunished while other similar altercations are being called in the same series.

Also find it funny how Queenville gets fined 10K for ripping on the refs but Weber is fined only $2500 for trying to slam Zetterberg's head through the glass. Unreal!

keyboard
04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
It's Matt Cooke, he deserved every second of it.

dw13
04-20-2012, 02:55 PM
dawinna's right. It would've probably been a double minor for roughing but with the score as it was, the refs just got rid of him because they knew he could cause problems for them later.

That's my feelings on it.

Don't think it's that crazy at all.

Also find it funny how Queenville gets fined 10K for ripping on the refs but Weber is fined only $2500 for trying to slam Zetterberg's head through the glass. Unreal!

Now that, I agree with.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Okay....... well, wasn't Backstrom just suspended 1 game for a crosscheck/attempt to injure ?

I'm sorry but the discipline of this league is a fucking joke. I have seen players this post season fined and suspended for far less than what Rinaldo did. Weber gets a slap on the wrist so ridiculous that he and his teammates poke fun of it at their next practice. There is no consistency here whatsoever. It's bewildering. It's a fucking joke. The NHL has put Stevie Wonder in charge of reviewing penalties.

I mean, look I understand where you are coming from but where do you draw the line, seriously ?

Hamsterkill
04-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Okay....... well, wasn't Backstrom just suspended 1 game for a crosscheck/attempt to injure ?

No. Backstrom got a 1 game suspension because he got a game misconduct in the final 5 minutes of the game. It's like Adams where it was automatic because of that.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
No. Backstrom got a 1 game suspension because he got a game misconduct in the final 5 minutes of the game. It's like Adams where it was automatic because of that.

Ahh didn't realize that one was in the final 5. My bad. Anyway, that doesn't change my opinion on the three ring circus that is the NHL disciplinary system.

chgorman
04-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Ahh didn't realize that one was in the final 5. My bad. Anyway, that doesn't change my opinion on the three ring circus that is the NHL disciplinary system.

I'm with ya. Very disappointed with - and embarrassed for - Shanny and the NHL this postseason for their pitiful disciplinary measures. The league is really hurting themselves by continuing to allow this kinda crap to happen and then be WILDLY inconsistent when they DO enforce some discipline.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Pens win baby, stayin alive!

phaneuf6
04-21-2012, 12:13 PM
I think there's a gross misunderstanding here as to the process that Shanahan has to go through when suspending players, and a pretty poor understanding of the rules/CBA as well.

nyrblue2
04-21-2012, 01:39 PM
And would you care to enlighten us with some insight into your extensive knowledge?

keyboard
04-21-2012, 03:16 PM
And would you care to enlighten us with some insight into your extensive knowledge?
:lol:

phaneuf6
04-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Well I mean people here are suggesting that Weber should've been fined more than $2500 when the reality is, according to the CBA, that's the maximum fine that you can impose on a player.

Shanahan goes through a process of collecting evidence, as does the NHLPA, and then they sit down in a room and make a decision. The outcome is always going to be more heavily weighted than the intent, and that's why there's this "inconsistency" in rulings.

And I know most of you will disagree with me, with the exception of Dubz probably :lol:, but the way that a lot of people on here are talking, it sounds like they'd like every physical aspect of the game taken away. There are complaints about every hit, every fight, every altercation on the ice and it gets tiring to hear the same old complaints about a sport that's physical by nature. There are loads of non contact ice sports available for your viewing pleasure if hockey is a bit too rough for your liking, but the fact is, in a competitive, physical sport, played between men who's livelihood depends on their on-ice performance, this kind of stuff is going to happen.

alias
04-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Well I mean people here are suggesting that Weber should've been fined more than $2500 when the reality is, according to the CBA, that's the maximum fine that you can impose on a player.

I don't think anybody said they wanted a higher fine for Weber, they wanted a suspension. I'm under the impression most HIers are aware the max fine is $2500.

phaneuf6
04-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't think anybody said they wanted a higher fine for Weber, they wanted a suspension. I'm under the impression most HIers are aware the max fine is $2500.

Yea, I can see that. I was mainly referring to rocklobster (may have misinterpreted what he meant) saying that Weber's fine relative to Quennville's is ridiculous, when in fact Weber got the max fine for players. Problem lies in the CBA in those terms, not with Shanny.

Doctego
04-22-2012, 10:10 AM
I was a C-hair away from driving down to Philly with the wife for game 6. Hope I regret not going.

gogoayane
04-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I was a C-hair away from driving down to Philly with the wife for game 6. Hope I regret not going.

I guess you are regretting now... would've been awesome to be there :)

Doctego
04-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I guess you are regretting now... would've been awesome to be there :)

Definitely would have been great to be there but I'm still happy. Get to enjoy the win and got some shit done around the house during the intermissions.

RJV
04-22-2012, 02:54 PM
<<<was at the game INTENSE!!!!! and now at Xfinity Live, its a mad house GO FLYERS!!!!!

Snipes16
04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Giroux getting right out of the gate by creaming Sid and the great shot 30 seconds in were all I needed to see. Thought I heard that line had 26 pts in the series...jeezez

MAF looks like he needs glasses..

FlyGuy78
04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game with the gf. Had some food, drinks, and watched some Penquins get their ass kicked!! What a great way to spend a Sunday! :)

Go Flyers!!!

Kyle
04-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Just to stir the pot late, you guys are beyond insane for saying Rinaldo shouldn't have been thrown out, under any circumstance, let alone the circumstances of this series.

That was an easy game misconduct. The penalty was called before he threw another hard crosscheck, and the game misconduct was without a doubt for the ridiculous two handed push/punch to the face of an opponent on his knees recovering from said dirty crosschecks. It really amazes me that people watch that and think anything but "Easy misconduct." No suspension is okay. But incredibly easy game misconduct. Any less than that would be a crime.

Better team won. Good job Philly. Average at best is getting too kind to describe Fleury these days, I think the Pens would do themselves a huge favor to stop considering him a franchise goalie and opening up the position to competition.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
04-24-2012, 03:01 AM
Just to stir the pot late, you guys are beyond insane for saying Rinaldo shouldn't have been thrown out, under any circumstance, let alone the circumstances of this series.

That was an easy game misconduct. The penalty was called before he threw another hard crosscheck, and the game misconduct was without a doubt for the ridiculous two handed push/punch to the face of an opponent on his knees recovering from said dirty crosschecks. It really amazes me that people watch that and think anything but "Easy misconduct." No suspension is okay. But incredibly easy game misconduct. Any less than that would be a crime.

Better team won. Good job Philly. Average at best is getting too kind to describe Fleury these days, I think the Pens would do themselves a huge favor to stop considering him a franchise goalie and opening up the position to competition.

You know my brother has been feeding me the same shit for over a year or two... I am starting to agree. He goes a little far, calling Fleury the worst goaltender in the NHL, but average at best does seem to be a pretty accurate description of his playoff performances as of late.

Great job by Philly. They were the better team most of this series. They did what Pitt failed to do, take care of business at home. Totally owned game 6. This was a very strange series. One of the oddest series I have seen. A few random 1am thoughts: Crosby scoring 30 seconds or a few minutes or whatever it was into the series seemed to have affected Geno somehow. Malkin didn't get going til too late and even then he wasn't quite the same force. He just doesn't seem to play his best unless he is really counted on to be "the man." Game 1 still stings. Giving up such a massive lead and losing game 1 in OT in Pitt is really, imo, what set the tone for the Flyers to win this series. The Pens win that game at home and we are likely seeing this series play out longer, if not differently. Giroux, just wow, what a leader out there. Hate to see him smash Sid like he did but I gotta give props, the kid is a real leader and an incredible force out there. Hate him bc he is a Flyer but really gotta respect his game. Talbot looks horrible in Orange. Jagr is still a bitch.

At least Pitt made a series of it. Was looking like a sweep there for a good minute. How embarassing that would have been. Good luck to the Flyers in the future. Better hope Bryz can keep on top of his game if they hope to go deep.

phaneuf6
04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
While I've never been a huge Fleury fan (still bitter about the World J's), I wouldn't start saying they need to look for another goaltender. He had some serious technical issues with his five-hole this post-season and that turned him into a bit of a sieve... but let's not look past the terrible PK the Pens were running, or some of the horrendous giveaways by their defensemen.

two24four
04-24-2012, 11:04 AM
It's not just his five hole though. TSN showed a screen during the last game where most of the goals went in, it showed at least 5 or 6 of the goals the Flyers scored went in under his blocker.

phaneuf6
04-24-2012, 11:09 AM
It's not just his five hole though. TSN showed a screen during the last game where most of the goals went in, it showed at least 5 or 6 of the goals the Flyers scored went in under his blocker.

Yea I saw that graphic too... I would think it's all connected... he didn't seem to be moving fluidly to make any lateral saves.

Kyle
04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I didn't say look to replace him. I worded myself very carefully (Okay, average at best might be harsh but in today's ridiculously competitive goalie scene, perhaps not) and noted that I'd simply bring in competition. Fleury hasn't proven himself a franchise caliber goalie in around five years now. Its not to his benefit to keep him the unquestioned starter forever and let him stay comfortable. He needs to progress and competition might light a fire under his ass, or possibly reveal a better player. No sense in the Penguins guaranteeing Fleury another 65 game season.

and yeah, his lateral movement was horribly off-base this postseason. Practically guaranteed a five-hole goal every time he slid over.

phaneuf6
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Could see Gustavsson being considered there... similar style to Fleury.

Snipes16
04-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Could see Gustavsson being considered there... similar style to Fleury.

Or Burke could just rent his own dumpster for him

Kyle
04-24-2012, 01:00 PM
That could work out interestingly. After what Mike Smith pulled in Phoenix, I'd never rule it past Gustavsson to hit his stride with the Penguins. A lot of teams have paid off big time by simply giving that other dude a chance.