PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

heffeith
04-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I can keep one goalie (note: I don't have to). It's been Price for a few years now, but I'm wondering if I should consider another option going forward:

1. keep Mike Smith
2. don't keep either
3. try to trade for a better keeper keeper

Thoughts on the future of Price and Smith?

Doctego
04-02-2012, 08:55 AM
I am assuming that this is for the team in your sig. How many do you keep? How many players can you keep? I understand your concern but it depends on how many players you can keep. When you expect to draft is also important.

nords
04-02-2012, 10:00 AM
I agree with Doctego. It really depends how many players you can keep.

Your league is pretty shallow (120 skaters) so you really should be focused on top end talent only. Also, with only 4 of 15 categories being for goalies, securing top goalies are not going to be as critical as some leagues. With only 9 goalies being kept (assuming the other 9 managers keep their allotted one goalie), there should still be plenty of options for you to get two decent goalies in the draft.

Raja
04-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Don't keep a goalie.

Dubz
04-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Can you keep a player instead of Price? If that player is Versteeg...id easily opt with Price. You have to post more keeper info....that the only dumb part of the question:lol:

Hamsterkill
04-02-2012, 12:54 PM
So are the italicized players in your sig your keepers? Why the heck is Crosby's name not in italics?

heffeith
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
It seems I was a little short on information here, ha ha! Thanks for the early feedback.

Ok, we have some pretty tricky (read: stupid) keeper rules. We can keep 4 players, max one goalie. For various reasons I won't go into, there are a number of players that can't be kept. I have two such players: Crosby and Staal.

So my previous keepers are in italics: Price, Zett, Kovy, Ryan.

I would likely stick with Kovy and Zett, then one of Ryan, Eberle, Benn. Maybe 2 of them if I bail on goalies altogether. You are right that there are some top flight goalies still available in my draft, but I'm not totally sold on Ryan/Eberle/Benn anyhow. I guess the moral of the story is that my team is pretty sad, and my 4th keeper will be a bit of a donkey regardless.

Follow up related question - Smith has been amazing this year, does that continue or is he a flash in the pan? I don't like the future in Montreal and Price was very ordinary this year.

Doctego
04-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Not sure that I agree about your analysis of Price. While I do agree that Montreal is a sinking ship, his year isn't as bad from a statistical standpoint. His SV% is even with his career average and his GAA is actually lower. He is 2 games under .500 on a terrible team. I think that the perception of his season is skewed by the fact that Montreal has been awful.

Hamsterkill
04-02-2012, 04:35 PM
The only hesitation I have with Price is that we don't know who his coach is going to be next year and thus, what kind of defensive system Montreal will use. If it really is going to end up being Roy, I'd be willing to give Price and the Habs a year to see how it's going to go under him.

Smith is a product of Tippett in Phoenix. So long as Smith is on a team Tippett coaches, you can probably expect similar seasons to this one statistically. I'm not sure that his stats this season really warrant making him a keeper in this case, but that's your call.

I will say that I like Benn. He's going to be a key piece in Dallas for the foreseeable future and with the new ownership in place, I expect Dallas to start building their team back up.

jeffoule
04-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Price has a concussion:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392052