PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Realm of Irrelevancy

PMStick
02-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Does anyone else's team suck? I'm in 7th out of 9. My team would still suck if I was in a 14-teamer.

Terrible goaltending from Miller and Ward early on did me in and made me deal Sedin for Tim Thomas and now my team is awful.

Too much focus on projections. Projections are more accurate for football, it's more about intuition in hockey. I was also focused on my two 1st place football teams and I was coming off a year where I blew everyone out in January so I was overconfident coming into this yr's draft.

Anyone else have excuses?

Dexter
02-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Too much drinking during my live auction draft. Be wary of anyone who isn't drinking with you.

lektrix
02-19-2012, 12:31 PM
I hear you.

My first two overall picks in a 14-teamer:

1. Crosby(IR)
2. Bryzfailure

Quite possibly two of the worst picks of 2011...... I was in the same position as you 1.5 months ago, stuck in 9th place for seemingly forever (surprisingly not 14th..).

I believe I had drafted a good, well-rounded team, but none of my players were performing up to par.

Then I made a couple trades, some good, some wreckless (due to me not "caring" anymore) and somehow everything has worked in my favour thus far.

I'm now "stuck" in 5th place and thankfully have a decent chance to finish in the $$ (third place) if I continue to get the breaks and bounces. Fingers crossed. :beer:

WasteOfTime
02-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat in that my team is performing severely worse than I expected...however with that said I am currently in first place in my small 7 team league. Basically every pick I made was a complete failure. I picked Perry over Stamkos because I am a west coast team fan (NEVER AGAIN)...Another guy is right next to me 10 points back and he hit on every one of his draft picks. He has Malkin, Giroux, Neal, Stamkos. I have no idea how I'm still in this.

I hear what you're saying about projections. Basically my point of view is...last year is by far the best indicator of how a guy is gonna do this year. Every single one of these guys is performing worse (most cases far worse) than last year for me.

Zetterberg, Perry, Kane, Bobby Ryan (ugh), Getzlaf, Eric Staal, Halak (most of the year)...fuck I even dropped Cam Ward right before he started doing anything good. Anyways, thats basically every player I picked in the first 10 rounds. Like I said, no idea how I'm still in this. Its been a frustrating year.

Edit: Wow, just noticed I picked bobby ryan one pick before malkin went. thats a difference of roughly 2.5 fantasy points per game (which is immense in my league)

phaneuf6
02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Missed two rounds in the inaugural draft of my keeper league about 3 years ago. All the goalies went in those two rounds and I've been screwed ever since.

PMStick
02-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat in that my team is performing severely worse than I expected...however with that said I am currently in first place in my small 7 team league. Basically every pick I made was a complete failure. I picked Perry over Stamkos because I am a west coast team fan (NEVER AGAIN)...Another guy is right next to me 10 points back and he hit on every one of his draft picks. He has Malkin, Giroux, Neal, Stamkos. I have no idea how I'm still in this.

I hear what you're saying about projections. Basically my point of view is...last year is by far the best indicator of how a guy is gonna do this year. Every single one of these guys is performing worse (most cases far worse) than last year for me.

Zetterberg, Perry, Kane, Bobby Ryan (ugh), Getzlaf, Eric Staal, Halak (most of the year)...fuck I even dropped Cam Ward right before he started doing anything good. Anyways, thats basically every player I picked in the first 10 rounds. Like I said, no idea how I'm still in this. Its been a frustrating year.

Edit: Wow, just noticed I picked bobby ryan one pick before malkin went. thats a difference of roughly 2.5 fantasy points per game (which is immense in my league)

This reeks of first place...I miss making these comparisons...now I have scrubs on my team and I don't even have the energy to drop them....it sucks when it gets out-of-reach.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the POS Roloson pickup that led to a plummet to last-place GAA and Save pct. in two weeks time.

pjm
02-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I have one team where a LOT of my early picks were duds - Ovechkin, Zetterberg, Visnovsky, E.Staal, Green, Getzlaf...

The first half of the season I was pretty firmly in last place but have crawled back into relevancy and still have a shot in the playoffs. Still though, there were a lot of "solid" guys that really blew it this year.

PMStick
02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
As a Rotisserie leaguer in a winner-take-all I'm usually battling at this time...now I'm looking into fantasy baseball breakouts. Depressing.

thehockeyguy79
02-20-2012, 05:42 AM
Currently in 11th place out of 14 in a H2H league. I have been in last place about 6 weeks this year.

Keepers heading into this year Luongo, Miller & Crosby.

I moved a couple of early picks last year one to get Miller & Crosby in two different trades as well as giving myself a boost across the board only to finish in 3rd place. On paper my team looked great for someone who had ditched a number of high and mid round picks. I drafted Lucic and Tavares at the start of the 2nd and then sat on my hands for about 4 rounds. The deal for Crosby last January basically worked out as Patrick Kane & my 1st (which would be like a Kipper/Thornton/Kesler) for Crosby. Being that it was year 2 of a 5 year league its hard to turn down 300+ points over the next 3 years considering it is a limited keeper league. Whether he came back during the 2010-11 season or not it didn't really matter as it was meant as a long term investment.

Sorry now I'm just ranting back to our story...

7 times this year I posted a great week across the board that would have easily beat 9-10 teams in the league without fail...and of course that means I lost 5 of those weeks getting blown out and the other two worked out to be 4-4 and 5-5 ties respectively. One of my losses this seasons came at the hand of a one night add/drop of Sam Gagner. Yes I lost a week due to his Feb 2, 8 point night as it contributed to a narrow loss of G's and A's that week for me. Between Miller & Luongo having slow starts and Cory Schneider being nabbed in the 8th round by a loser GM in our draft I lost a number of goalie stats from Nov-Jan which considering that was suppose to be my strong suit put me behind the 8 ball.

End rant.

Colin20
02-22-2012, 12:18 AM
My early picks are all having terrible seasons (besides my goaltenders of course):

(1)
Alex Ovechkin (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3637)
LW

(16)
Nicklas Backstrom (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3982)
C

(17)
Marc-Andre Fleury (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3341)
G

(32)
Mike Green (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3667)
D

(33)
Drew Doughty (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4472)
D

(48)
Jimmy Howard (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3771)
G

Injuries have really screwed me over this year as well as just very low output.