PDA

View Full Version : Mvp

two24four
12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Who is your MVP right now.

wendel_
12-22-2011, 03:04 PM
After watching him play in Toronto, I can't believe Versteeg is even in the conversation haha. He deserves to be with the way he's playing, but I certainly never saw it coming.

My vote was Thomas, but my bet would be Giroux.

pjm
12-22-2011, 03:19 PM
My vote is Malkin, Giroux a close second. Kessel is probably in the conversation as well.

gogoayane
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Malkin, with Giroux as the close, very close second.

Malkin on top of my list because of the burden he had to carry and still perform at an elite level. Going into the season, there was uncertainty if his MCL (or ACL) was fully recovered and ready; if he is ready to fill the void Crosby left.. etc. Very happy with his performance and leading with example.

Giroux continues to take the game to the next level... similar situation where there is pressure for him to fill the void left by Richards and Carter and he filled it without any problem, if not did a much better job than the other two guys.

Hamsterkill
12-22-2011, 04:55 PM
At the moment, Giroux. He's stepped his game up like crazy and was leading th league in points before getting hurt.

I wouldn't give it to Malkin, myself, right now. With the way Staal has stepped up his game this year as well, I feel like he's less valuable to the Pens than Giroux has been for the Flyers.

EDIT: I'd consider putting Pominville's name up there, too, in the conversation. The new Buffalo captain has been a force for the Sabres in a year where Miller has been uncharacteristically average.

Rocklobster
12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
malkin, he's a beast and I'm glad to see him healthy again.

alias
12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
malkin, with giroux a close second.

edit: hmm 4 people posted Malkin but he only has 3 votes....

Hamsterkill
12-22-2011, 06:14 PM
malkin, with giroux a close second.

edit: hmm 4 people posted Malkin but he only has 3 votes....
Gogo forgot to vote.

Dexter
12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Malkin, with Giroux as the close, very close second.

Giroux continues to take the game to the next level... similar situation where there is pressure for him to fill the void left by Richards and Carter and he filled it without any problem, if not did a much better job than the other two guys.

This. Giroux has been a force for the Flyers. They're a completely different team with him in the lineup. He's making the guys around him much more dangerous (Jagr, Hartnell, Simmonds, etc.) He's one of the few guys that can truly dominate opposing teams, but I feel that Giroux does this on a more consistent basis.

habsfan1
12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Giroux with Malkin a close second.

canuckthug
12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Giroux

Roy Hinske
12-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Giroux with Malkin a close second.

Thats the way I see it.

CayugaPosse
12-25-2011, 03:01 AM
In order(at least on that list):

Claude Giroux
Evgeni Malkin
Phil Kessel
Kris Versteeg
Jonathan Toews
Tim Thomas

I'm not giving Thomas a ton of credit because this year(since the slowish start), the Bruins are a wrecking ball. In the 2011 calander year, 25% of games the Bruins have scored at least SIX goals. That offense is too good to give Thomas a heap of MVP cred(which he would have gotten last year when they weren't scoring as much).

I think it's deffinitely Giroux right now. Carter and Richards gone, replaced by a few huge question marks(Voracek, Simmonds, van Reimsdyk and Jagr), and the one thing that has fueled the Flyers is Claude Giroux, even as the reason they ditched Carter/Richards(Bryzgalov) has been pathetic. Giroux is carrying that team on his back right now.

Then it's Malkin, I think he's the best player in the world right now(outside of Sidney Crosby when he's healthy), and with Crosby down he has stepped up and produced like the most prolific offensive player in the world.

The two after that, Kessel and Versteeg both fall into the same mold, guys who have single handidly carried a team that doesn't belong in contention, into contention. Kessel is the far more impressive of the two because of the numbers, and because of how little support he's getting. That doesn't mean linemates, it means the Leafs goaltending has been mediocre at best, their PK is abysmal, and all secondary scoring has completely vanished from this team(where are Grabovski, MacArthur and Kulemin...has anyone sent out a search party for them yet?). At least Versteeg has some goaltending back there.

I'd also like to give an honourable mention to two other players not even on the poll that are really high on my list right now of MVP candidates...

Number one in that regard, and probably third overall if I were picking MVP's right now behind Giroux and Malkin, Brian Elliott, who leads the NHL in every goaltending catagory, is 14-3 on the year, and has the Blues 4th in the West.

The other one is Jason Spezza, who is backing the Senators to a surprising run at a playoff spot, and has that team scoring in bunches(6th in the NHL in team scoring). Alot of people forgot really quickly how great he can be when healthy, good to see him back on form.

Gern Blansten
12-26-2011, 02:29 AM
For me, in order:
Giroux
Malkin
Thomas
D. Sedin