PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 offseason

two24four
10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
So Tony LaRussa is retiring, I wonder what this will do for Pujols now that he is a FA, might he move on as well now that his good friend LaRussa is no longer the manager.

Also it sounds like CC Sabathia is going to opt out of his contract with the Yanks.

phaneuf6
10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Saw an interesting thought on Twitter that with Oswalts contract off the books, the Phils might consider making an offer to Cliff Lee's good friend CC Sabathia... can you imagine?

b_illin
10-31-2011, 12:31 PM
CC is heading West if I had to guess.

MTR
10-31-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think La Russa retiring affects Pujols. Chances were that La Russa would have retired before his future contract would end anyway. But his retiring does makes things more interesting for the Cards this off season.

Doctego
10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't expect CC to leave and I wouldn't read much into it. It has been a foregone conclusion for years that he was going to opt out. If he let this deal run out, he probably wouldn't command a top salary. As it is, he should be able to extend his current salary for 3-4 more years.

dw13
10-31-2011, 06:26 PM
CC reupped.

two24four
11-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Looks like we might have our 1st big FA signing of the off-season, sounds like Papelbon has signed with Philly, 4 years at $50M, CSNPhilly is reporting it, pending physical.

FlyGuy78
11-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Looks like we might have our 1st big FA signing of the off-season, sounds like Papelbon has signed with Philly, 4 years at $50M, CSNPhilly is reporting it, pending physical.

Soooo happy!!! :)

b_illin
11-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Whoa, I thought I saw the other day that Madson signed for $44mm - I guess some shit went down since that premature report!

FlyGuy78
11-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Whoa, I thought I saw the other day that Madson signed for $44mm - I guess some shit went down since that premature report!

They are still figuring out the money, especially now with Papelbon signing, he probably won't get as much, but I hope he stays as our set-up man.

two24four
11-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Now they are saying Papelbon's deal could be close to $60M.

dw13
11-11-2011, 04:23 PM
It'll end up being an awful deal.

two24four
11-11-2011, 06:27 PM
It'll end up being an awful deal.

Yeah it reminds me alittle of BJ Ryan with the Jays, guess we will see.

Sounds like the Marlins have made some pretty big offers to both Reyes and Pujols.

two24four
11-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Houston is moving to the AL West in 2013, so there will be 15 teams in both the AL and NL.

Also it sounds like for sure two more wild card teams will be added in 2013, so 10 teams will make the playoffs.

Doctego
11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Nathan signs with Texas, moving Feliz to the rotation. 2 year deal. As a Yankee fan, I like this. Nathan has become more hittable, especially in the postseason.

Snipes16
11-22-2011, 01:47 PM
The next Red Sox manager is down to 2 guys...Bobby V and Gene Lamont

Given those 2 choices its just gotta be Bobby Valentine especially in light of how that team acted last year. New GM Ben Cherington's first choice was Dale Sveum and the new hand puppet GM was rebuffed right away, right before Theo hired him...thank god

Doctego
11-22-2011, 03:35 PM
The next Red Sox manager is down to 2 guys...Bobby V and Gene Lamont

Given those 2 choices its just gotta be Bobby Valentine especially in light of how that team acted last year. New GM Ben Cherington's first choice was Dale Sveum and the new hand puppet GM was rebuffed right away, right before Theo hired him...thank god

So, his first 2 moves will be having Epstein leave without getting compensation settled first and getting his 2nd (or worse) choice as manager. Good start.

Snipes16
11-23-2011, 11:22 AM
So, his first 2 moves will be having Epstein leave without getting compensation settled first and getting his 2nd (or worse) choice as manager. Good start.

Pretty much...at the beginning before they let Theo walk the media around here was talking about the Sox receiving either Garza or Castro as compensation, which probably was a stretch. But to let him walk before settling his compensation was inexcuseable. They have no leverage now and lucky to get a low level prospect or bucket of balls for him.

They have to plug at least 4 major dam breaks this offseason.

1) A closer...and they were talking Francisco Cordero which to me would be a disaster in waiting. I'd love to see Heath Bell but he'll cost a fortune so it could be somebody like K Rod who I'd at least take over Cordero.

2) They need to sign at least 2 FA starters with Lackey gone and Wake pasteurized. I keep hearing Buehrle's name thrown around along with Oswalt. Dont see J.H. opening the wallet for C.J Wilson though, not after the Lackey and Dice K fiasco's.

3) Catcher is another huge headache...Salty went completely down the shitter in September and how much does Tek have left...hip, hip, Jorge? no thanks.

4) And how is it even remotely possible to replace Heidi Watney's holes? :lol:

eff1ngham
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
So Reyes to the Fish with a monster deal. I'm guessing this means Hanley to 3rd and Reyes at SS (as opposed to Hanley at SS and Reyes at 2B). And I guess they're still trying to lure Pujols there as well, though I seriously doubt that happens. Still, looks like they're trying to generate some interest this offseason, could make the east more interesting

two24four
12-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Sounds like Pujols is thinking over a new offer from Miami that most think is for 10 years at around $22M a season, they are trying to work out a NTC.

Thier payroll would be unreal if he does sign with them, with Hanley, Bell, Reyes.

MTR
12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't think he will end up in Miami. I think he will still resign with us. I could be wrong but I just don't see him going to the Marlins.

two24four
12-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow, Pujols is signing with the LAAAAA for 10 years at around $250-260m.

It's a done deal, full NTC.

canuckthug
12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Oh no, hes in the AL.. What a massive contract. $25 million a year, Damn.
I thought this story was gonna drag out (like Lebron) till spring training, glad its over!

two24four
12-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Now there is word they might go after CJ Wilson pretty hard.

Edit: Sounds like this is a done deal now as well.

$75M for 5 years for Wilson.

phaneuf6
12-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Can anybody actually come in here and justify to me how anybody who plays baseball for a living, or any other sport for that matter, deserves to make that much money? Ridiculous.

dw13
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Can anybody actually come in here and justify to me how anybody who plays baseball for a living, or any other sport for that matter, deserves to make that much money? Ridiculous.

To watch sports and think of the money they make is damn near impossible these days. I try to leave it to the side personally, but good lord, $250m? Always makes me shake my head as well.

two24four
12-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Nope. Have to feel for doctors, firemen, police etc....when they see a player like this get waaaaay more then they make, not right.

b_illin
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
I disagree actually. Take the emotion of some dude making that much money and look at it from a business perspective. These superstar guys make their respective employers a ton of money so they deserve a piece of that pie. Without Albert Pujols, for example, the Angels/Cards/MLB might not make as much money because he is that important to the game. Without the players, the leagues have nothing. It's like having a gold mine without any gold. Imagine if that gold mine was MLB and the country where the mine is located is the star player. Without giving a piece of the revenue from mining that gold, the mining company would not be able to produce as much gold as they could otherwise. (not the best example, but I think it will serve it's purpose)

dw13
12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
And without the Military we wouldn't have baseball.

Just saying.

Edit: I just don't put money and sports together anymore. I'm not trying to debate (because I don't care enough) anything but that's a fuckton of money!

Doctego
12-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I disagree actually. Take the emotion of some dude making that much money and look at it from a business perspective. These superstar guys make their respective employers a ton of money so they deserve a piece of that pie. Without Albert Pujols, for example, the Angels/Cards/MLB might not make as much money because he is that important to the game. Without the players, the leagues have nothing. It's like having a gold mine without any gold. Imagine if that gold mine was MLB and the country where the mine is located is the star player. Without giving a piece of the revenue from mining that gold, the mining company would not be able to produce as much gold as they could otherwise. (not the best example, but I think it will serve it's purpose)

And it's about entertainment value. No one will ever say that a baseball player is more important than a doctor or a teacher but, conversely, no one is lining up to watch those people do their jobs.

phaneuf6
12-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I understand the "piece of the pie" argument, and the entertainment value, but $250 million dollars is excessive.

Not only should there be a salary cap to help keep the league competitive, etc. but there should be one just to limit the ridiculous amount of money that's being paid to these players because it is way out of hand.

eff1ngham
12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
It's all about being the best at what you do. Tenured professors at Harvard or Oxford make bank. The best plastic surgeons or lawyers make bank. Albert is the best at what he does and gets paid accordingly.

Sure it's a lot of money. But movie stars make tons of money. Musicians make tons of money. Managers of marketing firms that come up with tv commercials make tons of money. Agents of movie stars/musicians/sports stars make tons of money. Like doc said it's about entertainment value. Millions of people watch Pujols play, millions of people watch Leonardo DiCaprio movies, millions of people listen to Jay-Z's music, etc

b_illin
12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I understand the "piece of the pie" argument, and the entertainment value, but $250 million dollars is excessive.

Not only should there be a salary cap to help keep the league competitive, etc. but there should be one just to limit the ridiculous amount of money that's being paid to these players because it is way out of hand.

Supply and demand. There are only so many players of his calibre and there is ample demand for his services given the massive revenue stream in MLB, thus the mkt priced him at $250mm over 10 yrs.

Snipes16
12-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Like that he went to the Angels because A.P signing with Miami would have sucked.

If Prince signs with an AL squad the AL will have pilfered 3 of the top 10 hitters in the game over the last year couning Adrian Gonzalez.

Albert - 250
Tex - 160
A.Gonz - 155
Prince - 150 ? wont settle for a nickel less with Boras

Thats 715 million guaranteed for 4 guys. The Jags just sold for 750 last week.

boredguy
12-08-2011, 04:13 PM
While i'd like to see a salary cap for competitive reasons i don't see a problem with players getting paid like this. It's either them getting the money or the owners, makes no difference to me.

b_illin
12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I defended Pujols contract, but there is no way CJ fucking Wilson is going to give value at $15.4mm/yr over 5 years! Hahahaha

two24four
12-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I defended Pujols contract, but there is no way CJ fucking Wilson is going to give value at $15.4mm/yr over 5 years! Hahahaha

I think this is more just them sticking it to Texas then anything here, I don't think they where to happy when they traded Napoli to the Jays only to see him with the Rangers a few days later, then he had a great season.

Starting four will be pretty sick though.

Weaver
Haren
Santana
Wilson

That's alot of $$$$ for a #4 though.

Snipes16
12-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Put his 75 next to Lackey's 84 and he looks to be a steal

:beer:

eff1ngham
12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Oh Ryan Braun.... *shakes head*

b_illin
12-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Is it me or did the Reds overpay for Latos?

two24four
01-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I hate saying this, but nice trade by the Yanks.

Doctego
01-13-2012, 11:31 PM
I hate saying this, but nice trade by the Yanks.

I'm not loving it but I am biased towards Montero. His D isn't good enough to be a LT solution behind the plate but I loved his bat, especially his opposite field power. Unfortunately, they don't have much room at DH, either. I like Pineda but don't know anything about Campos. I don't like losing Noesi, either. They dealt from a strength and filled a need but I still don't love it. I see that they also signed Kuroda.

b_illin
01-14-2012, 02:29 AM
I really like this deal for the yanks as well. Pineda is a stud!

dw13
01-14-2012, 01:18 PM
I always like to see a rookie accomplish the same feat in his second season.

Plus he'll be in New York.

We'll see.

HT9
01-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Darvish signs with the Rangers for 6 years at 10 per

canuckthug
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Darvish signs with the Rangers for 6 years at 10 per

The Rangers paid Darvish $51 Million for his rights to negotiate and they decide to go to the wire to sign him. I wonder why it took so long. This was almost a colossal failure by the Ranger organization.
[ however, i'm sure Darvish & his agency being greedy **** bags did not make the process any easier..]

phaneuf6
01-18-2012, 11:11 PM
The Rangers paid Darvish $51 Million for his rights to negotiate and they decide to go to the wire to sign him. I wonder why it took so long. This was almost a colossal failure by the Ranger organization.
[ however, i'm sure Darvish & his agency being greedy **** bags did not make the process any easier..]

How is this a failure?

canuckthug
01-18-2012, 11:50 PM
How is this a failure?

I never said it was a failure, i said it could have been a huge failure. If the Rangers failed to sign Darvish before today's 5 PM deadline, then he would have become a free agent, aka free to negotiate and sign to any team.
In conclusion, Texas would have paid Darvish $51 Million for a few expensive lunches.

Doctego
01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I never said it was a failure, i said it could have been a huge failure. If the Rangers failed to sign Darvish before today's 5 PM deadline, then he would have become a free agent, aka free to negotiate and sign to any team.
In conclusion, Texas would have paid Darvish $51 Million for a few expensive lunches.

That is mostly false. He would have become a free agent next season. For this season, he would have gone back to Japan. Texas would also have gotten their posting fee back if Darvish didn't sign with them in time.

canuckthug
01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
That is mostly false. He would have become a free agent next season. For this season, he would have gone back to Japan. Texas would also have gotten their posting fee back if Darvish didn't sign with them in time.

ahhh, I did not know that...this changes everything. i thought Texas was screwed (blowed $51 Million) if they didnt get the deal inked by today...

I should have read the article because i thought Darvish also got the posting fee but the posting fee of $51,703,411 goes to the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters of Japan’s Pacific League. So overall, Texas paid $111 Million to get him but only pay Darvish $60 Million.

Doctego
01-19-2012, 12:32 AM
ahhh, I did not know that...this changes everything. i thought Texas was screwed (blowed $51 Million) if they didnt get the deal inked by today...

I should have read the article because i thought Darvish also got the posting fee but the posting fee of $51,703,411 goes to the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters of Japanís Pacific League. So overall, Texas paid $111 Million to get him but only pay Darvish $60 Million.

Right. Posting fee goes to his old Japanese team upon agreeing to terms and $60M goes to Darvish in his contract. Actually 6 years at $56M with an extra $4M in incentives. Had he not agreed to terms, he would have gone back to his old team and then been free to sign with any major league team next season.

two24four
01-19-2012, 01:05 AM
I must say, Iam really looking forward to watching Texas and the LAAAA play against one another this season, might just be the best rivalry in the MLB this upcoming season.

suckerpuncher
01-19-2012, 06:56 PM
After some time ago Leo Nunez turned out not to be Leo Nunez now Fausto Carmona is not Fausto Carmona. Nor is he 28 but 31.
At least he chose a cool name. Go big or stay home, I guess. :)

With more and more Latin American players turning out not to be who they claim to be it makes you look a bit differently at the term "player to be named later" in a trade. ;)

Spartan
01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Wow...completely shocked by the Fielder signing!

b_illin
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM
If it 9 years and $214mm as reported, that is one horrible deal IMO!

dw13
01-24-2012, 04:24 PM
If it 9 years and $214mm as reported, that is one horrible deal IMO!

Can't see any reason why you'd think that. (Then again you talked about signing him for 3 years)

He can play DH at the latter stages of it, but for now, he'll protect (and be protected) by Miggy for the foreseeable future. He's overweight but it's never affected his health, or anything of the sort.

Think he's going to be a damn fine player for most, if not all, of the contract.

two24four
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Can't see any reason why you'd think that. (Then again you talked about signing him for 3 years)

He can play DH at the latter stages of it, but for now, he'll protect (and be protected) by Miggy for the foreseeable future. He's overweight but it's never affected his health, or anything of the sort.

Think he's going to be a damn fine player for most, if not all, of the contract.

Agreed. I like this deal for DET, Fielder is just 27 right now, which means he will be about 35 when this deal is up, not bad when you think about it, Pujols will be like 41 or 42 when his deal is up.

Cabrera and Fielder are going to be scary to play against. Best 3-4 hitters on one team in baseball.

Doctego
01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
So much for the "we're not moving Cabrera" talk that came out of Detroit when Martinez got hurt. I am talking positionally and not about a potential trade.

suckerpuncher
01-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Cabrera and Fielder are going to be scary to play against. Best 3-4 hitters on one team in baseball.
They better are since they'll be the worst defensive CI duo in the league.

b_illin
01-24-2012, 07:30 PM
$23mm+ for that length is ridiculous for pretty much any player. What did Prince give up? Tjat's a TITS deal for him. If a player wants tjat length of term, he takes a cut on the annual amount. I realize tjat means you probably don't get Fielder, but imo, if you want crazy money annually, it's on shorter terms.

I'd be willing to bet that contract looks horrible by 2019.

two24four
02-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Really sad to hear Josh Hamilton relapsed again at a Dallas bar, hope gets through this. I know someone going through something like this as well, it's no joke.

My only thing is, how does anyone in the Dallas area let him drink in a bar, you can't tell me people around there don't know him and his story.

b_illin
02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
^ yeah, not cool the way some ppl have been lighting him up with their comments. Hopefully he can get back on track.

(Man am I glad that I don't have that gene...seen some friends with addictive personalities hit the gutter a few times)

two24four
02-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Just watched his presser, good for him for stepping up and talking to media and going through everything that happend Monday night. I like that he always speaks from the heart, never has anything planned to say.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7537732/texas-rangers-outfielder-josh-hamilton-relapse-alcohol

Doctego
02-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Really sad to hear Josh Hamilton relapsed again at a Dallas bar, hope gets through this. I know someone going through something like this as well, it's no joke.

My only thing is, how does anyone in the Dallas area let him drink in a bar, you can't tell me people around there don't know him and his story.

I don't know the specifics but I do know that, if he wants to drink, he's going to drink. There's nothing that anyone around him can do. I'm not saying that you are blaming others here but 100% of the blame goes to Hamilton here.

dw13
02-03-2012, 05:37 PM

He's an adult.

His wife must be gutted. Sticking by him through all this shit and he has a fall-back. I really feel for his family.

Josh has a serious issue, needs help. Get out of baseball.

two24four
02-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I agree he's a big boy with no one to blame but himself.

He can still play baseball and get help, he went from 2006 till 2009 without having a drink, then 2009 till now again without having a drink, even won AL MVP in there.

Rangers seem really good about helping him anyway they can, he is human after all.

He always seems to get himself into trouble in the off season, not during the season when he's busy playing.

dw13
02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't care how good he is.

He has a wife (and kids?). He has more things to focus on other than baseball, clearly.

Doctego
02-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't care how good he is.

He has a wife (and kids?). He has more things to focus on other than baseball, clearly.

Agreed but to say that he needs to get out of baseball is somewhat shortsighted, though. The problem is him and, unfortunately, he takes himself wherever he goes. He will have these issues no matter what he does with his life.

dw13
02-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Agreed but to say that he needs to get out of baseball is somewhat shortsighted, though. The problem is him and, unfortunately, he takes himself wherever he goes. He will have these issues no matter what he does with his life.

That to me is shortsighted, to say he's always going to have these issues. Numerous people have been in his boots and kicked it for life. Never to touch the shit again.

He clearly hasn't kicked his problem, and he needs more serious help. Staying in baseball isn't going to fix his addiction.

If the Rangers want to 'help' like they're making it out to be. I'd tell him get into rehab again.

two24four
02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Once you are an alcoholic you are always one, he's just having a tougher time getting away from it then some people, and he's not the only one.

I guess I see things abit different, I try to see the good in everyone.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I know him, I don't, but I have read his book, and watched alot of his video's online, and I don't mean him hitting the ball 400 feet, Iam talking about his I am second video, and his tons and tons of video's of him doing public speaking trying to help people who might be going down the same path as him, you can tell he wants to help, and that he wants to be sober himself.

Leaving baseball might be the worst thing for him right now.

dw13
02-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Once you are an alcoholic you are always one, he's just having a tougher time getting away from it then some people, and he's not the only one.

I guess I see things abit different, I try to see the good in everyone.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I know him, I don't, but I have read his book, and watched alot of his video's online, and I don't mean him hitting the ball 400 feet, Iam talking about his I am second video, and his tons and tons of video's of him doing public speaking trying to help people who might be going down the same path as him, you can tell he wants to help, and that he wants to be sober himself.

Leaving baseball might be the worst thing for him right now.

My mother would beg to differ. And that's a shocking comment as far as I'm concerned.

He has serious issues, I only hope he takes the right steps in his recovery because his relapse seriously dents his recovery. He needs to be very careful.

two24four
02-03-2012, 10:16 PM
My mother would beg to differ. And that's a shocking comment as far as I'm concerned.

He has serious issues, I only hope he takes the right steps in his recovery because his relapse seriously dents his recovery. He needs to be very careful.

Why? I know someone going through some tough times himself right now, and that is what they tell him.

dw13
02-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Why? I know someone going through some tough times himself right now, and that is what they tell him.

It's certainly a life long battle, but that doesn't mean they're always alcoholics.

I don't mean to argue over little things, I just really hope Hamilton actually takes the right steps now. Because he's done nothing but hurt his family, those are the people I really feel for.

Good luck to the guy.

two24four
02-03-2012, 10:25 PM
It's certainly a life long battle, but that doesn't mean they're always alcoholics.

I don't mean to argue over little things, I just really hope Hamilton actually takes the right steps now. Because he's done nothing but hurt his family, those are the people I really feel for.

Good luck to the guy.

I agree 100% with that. He has a great wife who has stuck by him when most would have left along, long time ago.

Being a new father myself, I could not imagine putting my young family through something like this.

My dad was told his next drink could take his life, he never had another drink after being told that.

dw13
02-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I agree 100% with that. He has a great wife who has stuck by him when most would have left along, long time ago.

Being a new father myself, I could not imagine putting my young family through something like this.

My dad was told his next drink could take his life, he never had another drink after being told that.

My Mother is a recovering alcoholic, fortunately, and she's never been happier.

Congrats on the new one. Nothing beats being a father. :beer:

two24four
02-03-2012, 10:50 PM
My Mother is a recovering alcoholic, fortunately, and she's never been happier.

Congrats on the new one. Nothing beats being a father. :beer:

Thanks, I love it.

That's great about your mother, those are the storys you like to hear.

Doctego
02-04-2012, 12:02 AM

Good luck to the guy.

That's the thing. Kudos to your mother but, according to AA and pretty much all other programs of recovery that I have seen, an alcoholic is always an alcoholic. You even said that she is a "recovering alcoholic". "Recovered alcoholic" would indicate that there is a point where going back to past behaviors isn't an option. Recovering indicates that it is a process that is continuing.

I know nothing about your mother nor the time that she has. That said, I'm not speaking out of my ass. I'm an alcoholic and, Lord willing, I will have 3 years sober at the end of this month. I know many people that had 10, 20, or more years clean and fucked all of that up in 1 night. Now, this means nothing about Josh Hamilton or your mother specifically. What is does mean is that I have many examples of people with significant time when, in the end, that time didn't mean a thing.

As for Josh Hamilton, I am contending that his issues will follow him whether he is in baseball or not. You could make a better argument for leaving the game if he was staying out all night on the road but it seems like his issues have been in the offseason, at least in recent times. I have no doubt that his issues would remain or get worse if he left the game but I guess that we won't know for sure until that happens.

I wasn't planning on going into this like this but we're all adults here that know each other fairly well.

dw13
02-04-2012, 12:14 AM
That's the thing. Kudos to your mother but, according to AA and pretty much all other programs of recovery that I have seen, an alcoholic is always an alcoholic. You even said that she is a "recovering alcoholic". "Recovered alcoholic" would indicate that there is a point where going back to past behaviors isn't an option. Recovering indicates that it is a process that is continuing.

I know nothing about your mother nor the time that she has. That said, I'm not speaking out of my ass. I'm an alcoholic and, Lord willing, I will have 3 years sober at the end of this month. I know many people that had 10, 20, or more years clean and fucked all of that up in 1 night. Now, this means nothing about Josh Hamilton or your mother specifically. What is does mean is that I have many examples of people with significant time when, in the end, that time didn't mean a thing.

As for Josh Hamilton, I am contending that his issues will follow him whether he is in baseball or not. You could make a better argument for leaving the game if he was staying out all night on the road but it seems like his issues have been in the offseason, at least in recent times. I have no doubt that his issues would remain or get worse if he left the game but I guess that we won't know for sure until that happens.

I wasn't planning on going into this like this but we're all adults here that know each other fairly well.

I get the whole 'you're always an alcoholic' thing because you need to remember your past, but I'm pretty sure my mother would take it as a slap in the face if you said something like that to her. She's worked her ass off to never have someone ever be able to call her an alcoholic again. That was my point.

As for Josh Hamilton, I just fear there are many other things now in his life he needs to deal with outside of baseball. If he can continue doing those things while dedicating his life to baseball, then by all means go for it. I'd just hate to see him not pay attention to the things that matter most in life. His health and his family.

And as for you, cheers for going clean. I've seen how it destroyed and cured my Mother, and I only wish the people fighting their addiction could kick it. Because I know the joy and the outcome of people who do beat it. And I also know the destruction behind the addiction itself.

I'll leave it at that. I don't think any of us 'disagree' here, just different thoughts.

:beer:

two24four
02-04-2012, 11:01 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20082511&topic_id=7417714

b_illin
02-04-2012, 11:47 AM

I don't thinks it's shocking or wrong. It's a disease that you may be able to beat, but you still always have that disease in you imo. I watched an uncle get back on track, then slip back to the gutter, repeat etc for years...he was good for ages then he broke down and that ended up doing him in sadly..found him dead a week fully dressed in his bath tub.

Those demons are always there...good on your mom for keeping them bay, but they'll always be there in all liklihood.

dw13
02-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Like I said previously, Bill, I must of interrupted it wrong because my Mother would take it as a serious kick in the nuts if you approached her like that.

That's all.

No need to post more. I have my feelings about Hamilton, he has serious issues. Good luck to the kid.

Doctego
02-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Gary Carter just passed away. RIP, Kid.

ih8music
02-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Wow, that's a shame.... only 57. I hadn't heard about the brain tumor. RIP.

dw13
02-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Braun cleared.

What a weird situation...

suckerpuncher
02-23-2012, 06:36 PM
But only due to a technicality. Wonder how much this technicality really influenced the outcome of the test.

two24four
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Ken Rosenthal twitter.

Sources: Additional wild cards a "go" for this season. Playoffs to expand from eight to 10 teams. Announcement tomorrow

Doctego
03-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't understand the bitching about the daily interleague schedule coming in 2013. Sure, it will devalue interleague play since it's every day. I get that. The problem that most people have is that some teams will play their last series of the season against the other league. So what? As long as they all play basically the same number of games, what does it matter? It's not ideal but I really don't see the big deal. So many people calling in today talking about Ortiz having to ride the pine (potentially) at the end of the season in a pennant race.

FlyGuy78
03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't understand the bitching about the daily interleague schedule coming in 2013. Sure, it will devalue interleague play since it's every day. I get that. The problem that most people have is that some teams will play their last series of the season against the other league. So what? As long as they all play basically the same number of games, what does it matter? It's not ideal but I really don't see the big deal. So many people calling in today talking about Ortiz having to ride the pine (potentially) at the end of the season in a pennant race.

I agree doc, don't put your team in a situation where it needs to win the last series of the season to get into the playoffs and you won't have that problem.

two24four
12-13-2012, 02:47 PM
I know this is last years off season thread but I did not feel like starting a new one.

Josh Hamilton just signed with the LAAAAAAAAA for 5 years. What a lineup they will have.

King_Killah
12-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I know this is last years off season thread but I did not feel like starting a new one.

Josh Hamilton just signed with the LAAAAAAAAA for 5 years. What a lineup they will have.

Is the line up strong enough to bail out the pitching outside of Weaver?

two24four
12-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Is the line up strong enough to bail out the pitching outside of Weaver?

It will win them alot.

They have Wilson and Hanson behind Weaver. Then they also picked up Blanton and Vargas. Not the best starting five, but it might do with their lineup.