PDA

View Full Version : LA Guns

b_illin
10-27-2011, 02:00 PM
So, got an invite for a show where my buddies band is opening for LA Guns. Decided to google it and discovered there seem to be two LA Guns. The one that my buddy is opening for has Tracii Guns.

Metal dudes, care to clarify this for me por favor? :)

toronto1979
10-28-2011, 11:43 AM
The band has gone through several lineup changes through the years including a short stint as part of Guns & Roses (Tracii Gun & Axl Rose).

At present two former members of the band have each claimed rights to the name and have a band performing under the name LA Guns, but are each a part of the initial band.

Details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Guns#Phil_Lewis.27_L.A._Guns_.282002.E2.80.93 present.29

King_Killah
11-02-2011, 07:27 PM
So, got an invite for a show where my buddies band is opening for LA Guns. Decided to google it and discovered there seem to be two LA Guns. The one that my buddy is opening for has Tracii Guns.

Metal dudes, care to clarify this for me por favor? :)

Dude....... I am so sorry I missed this thread. Yo...... it has been a long running joke (not really though) around these parts here that LA Guns is my favorite band ever. Quick review... LA Guns started out has Phil Lewis (voc), Tracii Guns (Lead Guitar), Mick Cripps (Rhythm Guitar), Kelly Nickels (bass), Steve Riley (drums). They were pretty successful as a raw, gritty, sleaze metal band in the mid-late '80s/early '90s. Music scene shifted and the band went through numerous changes. First with vocals, then each other piece of the puzzle. Eventually, the core got back together recorded and put out an album, but Tracii Guns who is one of the most egotistical and arrogant, and true assholes of the rock scene decided he was out of LA Guns. Phil Lewis, Steve Riley, Adam Hamilton (bass) recruited a new lead guitar player, Stacey Blades (I shit you not) and they continued. Tracii Guns decided he needed to have a piece of the pie and decided to tour under Tracii Guns's LA Guns. At the same time a 3rd version of the band, Paul Black's LA Guns hit the road. Paul Black was the original vocalist, but so original...a record was never recorded with him. Tracii and Paul eventually joined forces for a tour, but that tour last three shows. Tracii has since dropped the Tracii Guns's part of the name and just went with LA Guns. So, yes there are two working versions of the band. Honestly, the Phil Lewis/Steve Riley version is the better of the two. Albeit...admittedly, Tracii Guns is one hell of a guitar player. Definitely one of the most underrated players of the time and even today. If he wasn't such a douche bag, he'd be cool too. He canceled a show in Philly because the bar they were playing didn't have a cigarette machine, I kid you not... I was there. It was supposed to be Bulletboys, LA Guns (Tracii version) and a local band. Tracii split, local band got an extra 20 minutes, and Bulletboys got an an extra 20 minutes.

That's cool that your boy's band got to open for LA Guns. Did the show happen yet? If so, how was it?

b_illin
11-03-2011, 06:27 AM
It was last night and I missed it as I am off to the DR today so decided not to be bag of shit in the morning. My buddies band is more funk-enfused than metal-infused so it was interesting to see his band open for LA Guns!

Good synopsis KK!