PDA

View Full Version : Keeper League Rule Questions

unhskb4
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Hey guys, this is the first year I am doing a keeper with some friends and I am the commisioner and have some questions on how to set up some rules. I apologize ahead of time for the length of this post and greatly appreciate any input.

A quick rundown of the keeper rule in place. Each team keeps three players, if you keep your 5th round pick that player is next years 4th round pick, if you keep a FA pickup he is your last pick in next years draft. (essentially each player carries a keeper cost of 1 round). My Questions:

1)How do you have people turn in their keepers? It seems like the general consensus in my league is that who other people are keeping may affect who they keep so it seems like there should be some sort of order and deadline for each person to announce their keepers. Does this sound right and if so, what’s the best way?

2)This one is multi parts and a little complicated. How do you work out keeping players you trade for? As you can see from the rules above keepers carry a cost, so do they carry that cost through a trade? I will use a hypothetical trade and draft rounds as an example, rounds players were drafted in ().

Lets say Team A traded Mendenhall (3) and Eli Manning (5) for Team B’s Hightower(5) and Matt Ryan(6)

If Team A keeps mendenhall does he lose his 2nd round pick? And what if Team A also drafted Vick round 3 and wants to keep him, does one become his 1st round pick?

If someone drafted Kenny Britt in the 4th round and dropped him when he was injured and another team picks him up off FA and wants to keep him does he follow the FA pickup rule or his draft position rule?

Thanks again Guys and if anyone can share their keeper rules with me I would greatly appreciate it!!

b_illin
10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
1. Yes, pick a deadline and have the managers send in their keepers with a private email so ppl don't get a leg up on anyone else. (except you of course get the leg up...a benefit to being commish)

2. Yes, Team A loses their 2nd if they keep Mendenhall. If they drafted Vick in round 2, I'm not entirely sure, but losing the closest higher round (in your example, round 1) makes sense...or they have to choose between Mendenhall or Vick.

I would think that any FA pickup (eg. Britt) would count as the last round pick in next years draft, but again, don't quote me on that. (I'm in a lot of keepers, but none like this where you lose a draft pick the next year....that said, I have a good understanding of those types of leagues)

habsfan1
10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
In my league we keep 3, and we get to keep them two rounds from where they were picked the year before. Example, I took Rice in 2009 in the 8th, got to keep him for my 6th round pick in 2010, and 4th round pick this year.

If a trade happens the keeper tag goes with that player. For example if I traded Rice this year someone else could keep him in the 2nd round next year. If they are keeping another player in the 2nd round, they would then lose there 2nd round pick plus a 1st round pick.

We do not keep free agents, because we value owners to have the foresight to take keepers/sleepers in the draft, anyone can pick up a hot player/keeper during the year (for example I picked up Vick last year as a FA).