PDA

View Full Version : Short Bench - Burn Through Goalie Starts?

mattfenn
10-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Roto league with 164 max games for goalie (W, GAA, Saves, SHO). We only have three bench spots. 12 team league and 7 of the twelve have only rostered two goalies which means they will not get to max games.

I have Vokoun, Varlamov, and Smith. So meh. We start four d-men.

Strategy - run three D to start the season, pick up another goalie (Rask, Schneider, Khabi, Theodore, NYI goalies), and burn through the goalie starts looking to max Saves and Wins asap. Then drop or trade the extra goalies for Dmen in the 2nd half?

toronto1979
10-05-2011, 08:41 AM
You'll find in roto that it's tough to fill goalie starts and d starts.

The spots where you will overshoot are C and W.

I remember you saying you have Spezza as your #3 center so I imagine this is a rather shallow league. Centers will be fairly easily replacable, ESPECIALLY AT THE END OF THE SEASON when other managers have burned through all their C starts.

I'd drop Spezza for Rask or Schneider and run with your top 2 Cs for now. Ideally they both play 82 games and you never have to spot start Spezza anyway. And if one does get hurt, you can ALWAYS pick up a center later.

Pfloyd77
10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Getting to max goalie games should be pretty difficult for you considering two of your three goalies are definitely not workhorses and the other may get about 60 games. Keep in mind the expected gp of your goalies and when you expect that to happen. I'd reckon you'd reach the max sometime in late february or early march if at all. The only goalie you could pick up from there that would help you reach 164 fast enough is theodore and you would be sacrificing your gaa to get there.