PDA

View Full Version : Drop Heyward for Hart?

toronto1979
08-18-2011, 02:50 PM
This is a keeper league, so I thought Heyward was a solid keeper, but now that he's platooning, and my other OFs are kicking ass, I think I can let him go. Thoughts?

10 keepers H2H - 10 teams

Corey Hart is a FA, so it's doubtful I can get anything in trade for Heyward and he doesn't fit into my keepers.

C: Santana
1: Konekro
2: Uggla
3: Zimmerman
S: Andrus
I: Vmart (assuming he'll lose his C status next year)
O: Braun, Crawford, Ellsbury
U: Choo
B: Heyward, Espinosa

SP: Lincecum, Grienke, Shields, Worley, Floyd, Liriano, Jurrjens, Hellickson, Strasburg
RP: Storen, League, Hanrahan, Melancon, Chapman

eff1ngham
08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
I'd hold on to him, dude is still crazy young and has a good skillset. Even if he doesn't end up being a keeper someone in your league may want to trade for him in the offseason. Never a bad idea to stockpile young hitters on your bench if you can afford to do it. I'd drop Chapman for Hart though, as Chapman doesn't do much for your team and I can't see him being keeper material even if he becomes a closer

boredguy
08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I'd keep Heyward and Chapman and drop Espinosa for Hart.

Also V-mart's started 26 games as C so he should be eligible there on most providers next year.

eff1ngham
08-19-2011, 09:59 AM
I thought about telling him to drop Espinosa as well, but even though he's tailed off the dude is still like 24 and is a 20/20 2B. He may be more keeper worthy than Uggla (or at least he'd have two good 2B keeper options in a keep 10 that he could use as possible trade bait). Even if Chapman does become a closer for next season, I still don't think he'd be keeper worthy over Storen

boredguy
08-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Espinosa probably does have more keeper value but it's not a lot and it only matters if he trades him which might not happen.
Chapman's been great since coming back from the minors and even if he's not getting saves he'll help in the ratios and K's, his team looks good enough to be contending so i'd keep the guy helping this season.

toronto1979
08-20-2011, 06:08 PM
his team looks good enough to be contending so i'd keep the guy helping this season.
That's why I was thinking keep Chapman, and drop Heyward. I'm in 3rd, only a few games out of first.

Espinosa, Choo & Heyward rotate through my Util spot, but Espinosa can play IF or 2B as well. So that's why it makes more sense to me to drop an OF for an OF. I don't want/need 6 of them and Heyward is at the bottom of my depth chart. If I drop Espinosa for Hart, Heyward only gets in the lineup when I bench one of Braun/Ellsbury/Crawford/Hart... and don't play Choo.

For what it's worth, in this year's draft I took Ellsbury with my #1 pick. So he wasn't kept last year. Also, Dunn was dropped today. So based on the available talent pool (Heyward, Dunn, Werth, Hunter, Boesch, Young), chances are I can re-draft Heyward, and even if I can't my OF is still rock solid.

Only reason I wouldn't drop Heyward is if an argument can be made for him over one of my current 10 keepers. Right now I can't justify that... as much as I'd like to.

Chapman will likely get the axe when Strasburg comes back.

Also V-mart's started 26 games as C so he should be eligible there on most providers next year.

So do you think Vmart is keepable? And if so, how do I work him into the equation?

boredguy
08-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm sure you've already made a move, if you think keeping Espinosa will help this season then drop Heyward. While it's nice to have the options in the offseason winning now is better than fringe keepers you might be able to trade.

Also i'd be keeping Zim and V-mart over Andrus and Shields. Shields is having a career year and i don't expect him to repeat this next season (though he'll still be okay, just not a top pitcher) and you have 3 better arms to keep. Andrus is basically a 2 cat player and SS isn't that much shallower than 3b.

toronto1979
08-24-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm sure you've already made a move, if you think keeping Espinosa will help this season then drop Heyward. While it's nice to have the options in the offseason winning now is better than fringe keepers you might be able to trade.

Also i'd be keeping Zim and V-mart over Andrus and Shields. Shields is having a career year and i don't expect him to repeat this next season (though he'll still be okay, just not a top pitcher) and you have 3 better arms to keep. Andrus is basically a 2 cat player and SS isn't that much shallower than 3b.
Hey thanks for following up.

I did drop Heyward for Hart, and Heyward has since cleared waivers. So I could pick him back up if I want (now that he just hit a grand slam perhaps he'll get some more at bats?).

As for keepers. If Vmart keeps his C, I'll likely keep him. His knees do concern me though. Zim I have a feeling I can re-draft rather easily because his stats skew low due to his injury. But both are definitely keeper worthy!

As for Andrus and Shields, I guess I don't need Andrus's stolen bases that badly. My OF is pretty speedy already with Braun, Ellsbury and Crawford.

And you're not sold on Shields? He's been the Rays ace this year. He leads the team in ERA, WHIP, Ks and Ws. He has 9 complete games and only 4 times this year has he allowed more than 5 runs against. Statistically he's on par with Lincecum, and better than Grienke. He's gonna be hard to drop.

boredguy
08-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Just think this will be a career year for Shields. He'll still be good but not a top 10 pitcher.

eff1ngham
08-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Yeah Shields isn't keeper worthy.

Based on your roster I'd say:

Santana
VMart
Uggla
Zimmerman
Braun
Crawford
Ellsbury
Lincecum
Greinke
Strasburg

Hart, Espinosa and Andrus are all in contention too. You could always try to make some moves in the offseason since you have 2 keeper Cs and 2 keeper 2B potentially, and a SS who's still young enough to progress