PDA

View Full Version : Adrenaline Mob EP thoughts...

CayugaPosse
08-11-2011, 09:38 PM
For those who don't know, this is the new Mike Portnoy project.

The lineup is as follows :

Russell Allen(Smyphony X) - Vocals
Mike Orlando(Sonic Stomp) - Guitar
Rich Ward(Fozzy) - Guitar
Paul DiLeo(Nena) - Bass
Mike Portnoy(Dream Theater, A7X) - Drums

I've been criticized before for not being critical of CD's, so if you're one of the people who have done that, today's your lucky day.

I hate the way this CD sounds. With Russell Allen, Mike Orlando(who is incredible if you haven't heard his Sonic Stomp stuff) and Mike Portnoy attached, I figured brilliance was the only way this could end.

Instead, we get damn near the furthest thing.

First of all : The EP is 5 songs, and one's a cover of Black Sabbath's "Mob Rules". It's maybe the only time I don't hate the CD, it's a pretty straightforward and faithful cover, and Russell actually sounds a fair amount like Ronnie during the song.

Now to the 4 original songs :

Psychosane - First of all let me touch on the biggest problem the album has. The production is a nightmare. It ALMOST harkens back to "St.Anger" type production. The guitars are so heavily distorted, and Portnoy's drums sound like shit. Secondly, whoever wrote this shit should be punched in their face. "Lord I'm going psychosane"? Really? Russell Allen and Mike Portnoy? That's what I get? The bridge where Russell is growling "Going psychosane, mother fucking psychosane" sounds absurdly corny.

Believe Me - Same production problems which make me hate it already. Secondly, this is the most straight forward heavy metal I've ever heard. Maybe that's my fault for expecting something else, but I'm so underwhelmed given the pedigree of Allen and Portnoy and the progressive, creative style they do on a daily basis, to come out with something that sounds like fucking Mudvayne style songwriting is a nightmare. I do kind of like the chorus thanks to Orlando's escalating riff throughout it. Portnoy's good on this too, and Allen sounds decent. I know that sounds like I should like it, but I don't. I just didn't expect, or want, this.

Hit The Wall - The less said about this song the better IMO.

Down To The Floor - I know I'm about to contradict myself, but this song I don't hate. It's the same, it's short, straight forward, unimaginitive and I wanted so much more from them. The lyrics are lame. But the song's chorus is so catchy I can't fully hate this song.

All in all, they tried to make a "classic" 80's-90's style metal album. Their talent is completely wasted. Not what I expected, and not what I think fans of the two most established musicians on the album(Allen and Portnoy, both of whom I'm a huge fan of) would want to hear.

Here's a sample, this is "Psychosane" :

Adrenaline Mob - Psychosane - YouTube

King_Killah
08-14-2011, 01:30 PM
the band are "a straight-up rock band with just rock songs kind of like an edgy, modern kind of sound. It's not progressive or trying to be too metal or anything it's just good, old crunchy rock stuff almost like Rob Zombie meets Black Label Society meets Disturbed, with [Ronnie James] Dio singing. It's all this kind of craziness."

Other reviews I've read on this are exactly what you said in your post, so between that and the comments from Russell Allen, I wasn't expecting too much. I did hear that the production was kinda weak, but I am hearing it was done quickly as they wanted to get something out there to the people for their headlining gig and Godsmack support gig. I hear that the full length will be of much better production and more substance. I like the Sabbath cover, but thought it was too obvious of a choice for a cover, duh..... Adrenalin Mob - Mob Rules. That's kinda corny since you used the word, but hey.... I will totally dismiss them until the full length comes out, but I am not rushing to pop the EP tracks on.

Cornholio
08-14-2011, 03:40 PM
the first thing i thought when i heard about it is: do we need another "super star" band???
besides from that, i only know russel allen and mike portnoy. never heard of the other guys; are they "big" in NA??

the song you posted isn't too bad IMO.
the drums could be louder, but russel sounds very powerful, as he always does.
the guitar riffing isn't the style i like, reminds me of zakk wylde on ozzy's "live & loud" where he couldn't finish the randy rhoads riffs, but had to do some crazy solo stuff for half a second or so, just to show off...

besides from that - solid!

CayugaPosse
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Other reviews I've read on this are exactly what you said in your post, so between that and the comments from Russell Allen, I wasn't expecting too much. I did hear that the production was kinda weak, but I am hearing it was done quickly as they wanted to get something out there to the people for their headlining gig and Godsmack support gig. I hear that the full length will be of much better production and more substance. I like the Sabbath cover, but thought it was too obvious of a choice for a cover, duh..... Adrenalin Mob - Mob Rules. That's kinda corny since you used the word, but hey.... I will totally dismiss them until the full length comes out, but I am not rushing to pop the EP tracks on.

The rush job sounds accurate, they didn't take long from announcing the band to having this released.

I think it's a huge mistake though. They really put alot of fans off with this, the response has been underwhelming to say the least. The songwriting is abysmal even for a rush job.

I read a review that called it "WWE Entrance Music", and that's basically what it is. It's generic, lame and nowhere near pushing anyone's actual talents to the forefront(can you ever remember hearing an album Mike Portnoy played drums on that that wasn't the first thing you noticed? Here it could be the drummer from Linkin Park and I'm not sure much changes).

The only song I didn't outright hate was "Down To The Floor", and that's not a compliment, it basically sounds like a poorly written Monster Magnet song.

Who knows what lies ahead, but I can say with absolute certainty this EP did more harm than good for their future.