PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NFL Draft

Doctego
04-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Wish that I had this up before. Would have saved KK some work.:D

Thoughts so far and moving forward??

Doctego
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I hated that ESPN kept panning over to the player on the phone before the pick was actually made.

Doctego
04-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Does Buffalo take Dalton in the 2nd or does someone trade up with New England??

Spartan
04-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Not sure why Buffalo would want Dalton, they already have an average QB. You would think Cincy is the next logical spot for him or Mallett.

two24four
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
One thing I will say, the NFLN does the draft so much better then ESPN.

habsfan1
04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Interesting draft.

Atlanta paid a king's ransom for Julio Jones, good trade by Cleveland, they need help in so many areas, especially on the offensive side of the ball, which their pick of Phil Taylor is questionable.

I think Locker (55% passing accuracy scares me) is going to be a bust and the Titans could have gotten him a lot lower (actually maybe not, Minnesota probably would have taken him at 12).

Minnesota could have got Christian Ponder a lot lower.

N. Suh and Fairley for Detroit, wow, talk about building from up front. This isn't a Matt Millen team anymore.

As a Bears fan Gabe Carimi falling to #29 was the best possible scenario.

Anyways, interesting draft.

Spartan
04-29-2011, 10:53 AM
One thing I will say, the NFLN does the draft so much better then ESPN.Agreed, Thursday night NFL is gonna be great now that they shitcanned Millen and Theisman. Mayock is a great analyst.

As for ESPN I really like Adam Scheffter but hate that he started this business of revealing the pick before its announced at the podium. ESPN also had cameras following something like 28 of the prospects so you can see well in advance who is the pick. I still really enjoy Mel Kiper though, he is a main reason the draft is so popular today.

two24four
04-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Agreed, Thursday night NFL is gonna be great now that they shitcanned Millen and Theisman. Mayock is a great analyst.

As for ESPN I really like Adam Scheffter but hate that he started this business of revealing the pick before its announced at the podium. ESPN also had cameras following something like 28 of the prospects so you can see well in advance who is the pick. I still really enjoy Mel Kiper though, he is a main reason the draft is so popular today.

Agreed.

I'm so glad my cable company added the NFLN to the package, one of the best things they have done.

Hockeyis#1
04-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I hated that ESPN kept panning over to the player on the phone before the pick was actually made.

Agreed 100% completely ruined the dramatic moment of Goodell at the podium.

I really agreed with one of the analysis of Carolina's situation (I think it may have been Gruden) saying they shouldn't draft Newton because #1 they're still going to suck next year and likely get another high pick that they can pursue Luck with #2 they have a myriad of other needs and #3 Newton could very well be a bust

Surprised at Denver taking Von Miller, a 3-4 JLB for their 4-3 scheme.

The titans are dumb

Atlanta overpaid for Julio Jones

I thought Aldon Smith for the 49ers was an odd pick with Amukamara still on the board

Shocked the Texans passed on Amukamara, also somewhat surprised the Lions did too, although Nick Fairley was a good choice.

Wanted the Bills to take Miller, then Peterson, then Dareus in that order. I don't see how or why they take Dalton in the 2nd, but I said that last year about Spiller so....

Doctego
04-29-2011, 04:42 PM
I really agreed with one of the analysis of Carolina's situation (I think it may have been Gruden) saying they shouldn't draft Newton because #1 they're still going to suck next year and likely get another high pick that they can pursue Luck with #2 they have a myriad of other needs and #3 Newton could very well be a bust

I disagree. While I agree with the fact that they will still suck and that they have a myriad of other needs, they can't pass over a QB if they feel that he will be a franchise QB. I have my doubts but, if they feel that way, they made the right choice. They also can't hope for the #1 pick again next season. Too many variables. They could really suck again, get the #2 pick, and miss out on Luck.

two24four
04-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Schefter is saying OAK is trying to trade up to get a higher 2nd round pick, maybe for a QB. Also says the Pats and Philly are talking, I'm guessing for the 1st pick (33rd overall) in the 2nd round.

He also thinks R. Bush's days in NO are done.

dw13
04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
I disagree. While I agree with the fact that they will still suck and that they have a myriad of other needs, they can't pass over a QB if they feel that he will be a franchise QB. I have my doubts but, if they feel that way, they made the right choice. They also can't hope for the #1 pick again next season. Too many variables. They could really suck again, get the #2 pick, and miss out on Luck.

And get Matt Barkley? That's a MASSIVE step up from Newton, even.

No way I would of passed over Dareus if I was the Panthers.

Doctego
04-29-2011, 04:53 PM
And get Matt Barkley? That's a MASSIVE step up from Newton, even.

No way I would of passed over Dareus if I was the Panthers.

You know what?? I think that I have a halfway decent eye for talent for an Average Joe but I'm going to defer to their scouting department on this 1. I have serious doubts about Newton but we don't know. Gotta trust that they know what they're doing.

dw13
04-29-2011, 04:57 PM
You know what?? I think that I have a halfway decent eye for talent for an Average Joe but I'm going to defer to their scouting department on this 1. I have serious doubts about Newton but we don't know. Gotta trust that they know what they're doing.

They was much more to their selection then just skill though, Doc. Newton's persona albeit good or bad, will sell tickets. He has the chance to be electrifying, and they need to really put asses in the seats and their games on TV's in people's houses.

Dareus wasn't going to do that.

Doctego
04-29-2011, 05:03 PM
They was much more to their selection then just skill though, Doc. Newton's persona albeit good or bad, will sell tickets. He has the chance to be electrifying, and they need to really put asses in the seats and their games on TV's in people's houses.

Dareus wasn't going to do that.

I understand that. I am just talking about the fact that I feel that I have a little bit of an eye for talent but I'm not going to take myself so seriously that I will blast a pick that they made. They are much more qualified than I am in scouting him.

It's also mostly about skill at this point because, if he sucks, he will be on the bench and won't be selling any tickets.

dw13
04-29-2011, 05:27 PM
I understand that. I am just talking about the fact that I feel that I have a little bit of an eye for talent but I'm not going to take myself so seriously that I will blast a pick that they made. They are much more qualified than I am in scouting him.

It's also mostly about skill at this point because, if he sucks, he will be on the bench and won't be selling any tickets.

I don't think anyone should be blasting the pick, for one reason or another, it's the right pick.

King_Killah
05-01-2011, 01:59 PM
It's cool Doc... figured, I'd get at least the first round picks in.

As far as the draft goes, it seems like the last couple of years they'd showed the telephone conversation before the commish came out. I would have liked the anticipation built up a little more too.

The Falcons did pay a pretty penny for Jones, but I love the fact that they were aggressive and made the move they did. I also like that they moved up to snab Jacquizz Rodgers, too.

Cam Newton... I don't think he will be a complete bust... a la our favorite JamarcASS Russell. I may have him more along the lines of a Vince Young. He does have the Tebow effect in which he will sell tickets on name alone. I don't think there was any other pick than Newton for Carolina.

Lastly... our opinions vs. teams scouting departments. Some teams have it, some need help and to question their thoughts is perfectly natural. I can see a pick being blasted for the right reasons. Al Davis is notorious for having picks blasted and rightfully so. He's made a lot of ridiculous picks over the years.

Hockeyis#1
05-02-2011, 02:58 PM
People want to watch their team win. Newton isn't going to turn Carolina into a playoff contender or anything close to that.

Winning games sells tickets, the Panthers aren't going to do either (sell more tickets or win more games) because they drafted Cam Newton. In terms of QB talent, this draft is eerily similar to 2006. A lot of hype because of athleticism and potential but a lot of questions about football IQ, nfl transition and so on.

Nobody is calling Cam Newton a "can't miss player" like they are some others like Peterson. To me, when my franchise is in that bad of shape (and as a Bills fan, I know what that's like) they need to stop screwing it around and get it right. Grab someone who everyone agrees is a can't miss top talent and not someone who may or may not make it.

Carolina, much like the Bills, need talented young players, not platitudes and cliches and hope.

King_Killah
05-02-2011, 08:13 PM
People want to watch their team win. Newton isn't going to turn Carolina into a playoff contender or anything close to that.

Winning games sells tickets, the Panthers aren't going to do either (sell more tickets or win more games) because they drafted Cam Newton. In terms of QB talent, this draft is eerily similar to 2006. A lot of hype because of athleticism and potential but a lot of questions about football IQ, nfl transition and so on.

Nobody is calling Cam Newton a "can't miss player" like they are some others like Peterson. To me, when my franchise is in that bad of shape (and as a Bills fan, I know what that's like) they need to stop screwing it around and get it right. Grab someone who everyone agrees is a can't miss top talent and not someone who may or may not make it.

Carolina, much like the Bills, need talented young players, not platitudes and cliches and hope.

Newton has the Tebow effect... He will sell tickets on name alone. People want to see him play. People want to see if he can play the NFL game. He seems (atleast he is saying all the right things) determined to prove the doubters wrong.