PDA

View Full Version : WC Semis - Vancouver vs. Nashville

ih8music
04-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Fire away, boys...

I think Vancouver got their wake up call w/ Chicago and are now set to make their run. VAN in 6.

two24four
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Not much of break for the Nucks, sounds like game 1 will be tomorrow night (Thursday).

Iam a big Fisher/Weber fan, so for no other reason then that, I'm going to take the Preds in 7. Nice to be able to cheer for Fisher now that he's out of OTT :D

phaneuf6
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Van in 5. Nashville doesn't have the firepower up front and Rinne can't do it all. Game 1 may go to Nashville with Vancouver coming back down from last night.

NeelyDan
04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Vancouver in 5, says neelydan.

chgorman
04-27-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't see any possible way NSH takes this series. they may win a game, maybe even 2, but they're overmatched in every facet and aspect of the game. I agree with Phaneuf, I could see a semi-rested NSH team taking game 1 after VAN spent themselves last night (especially if this series starts Thurs), but I don't see this series making it to 6 or 7. I'll go with VAN in 5 gms too.

pjm
04-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah, Van in 6 sounds about right

Hamsterkill
04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Vancouver in 6. I could easily see the Canucks losing this series if they underestimate the Preds, though.

The Preds have a better defense and might be equal goaltending since Lu has looked beatable. Vancouver's offense is good enough to take care of them, but they'll have to respect the Preds as much as they did Chicago.

two24four
04-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah I think people are selling NSH short.

-They may not have the depth VAN has, but you can bet Weber/Suter will be out when ever the Sedin's are.
-My guess is Fisher will be going head to head vs Kesler.
-Rinne is one of the top goalies in the NHL who can win his team some games.
-Tootoo was huge in the last round vs the Ducks, if he can keep playing like he was that gives them more depth along with guys like Geoffrion, Halischuk.

Another player to watch out for is former Nuck D Shane O'Brien, outside of him taking some pretty bad peanlty's at times, he can be a really good d-man who will clear the front of the net. Klein is also a very good shut down d-man.

If they can get Hornqvist and Kostitsyn going abit more then round 1, then things could fall into place, Hornqvist had 29 shots in round 1.

two24four
04-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Game 1 is tomorrow (Thursday) at 9pm ET, CBC in Canada.

Kyle
04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Preds in 6. I'm just being cool.

Hockeyis#1
04-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Canucks in 6-7. Rinne gets diagnosed with scoliosis after carrying Nashville throughout the series.

dripsey3
04-28-2011, 04:14 AM
The Preds are battlers. They never give up. They play as team. That's why they have a chance here.

Canucks in 6.

dw13
04-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Van: 6

Roy Hinske
04-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Vancouver in 6. Preds have been resting for a bit and the first game is on short rest for the canucks otherwise it would be shorter.

eykwingnut
04-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Nashville in 6 to shock the hockey world!

Raja
04-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I think Vancouver will win in 7, but Nashville isn't getting nearly enough credit in this topic.

DarkValiant
04-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Most. Boring. Series. Ever.

It's like watching old school Jersey against old school Jersey.

Kyle
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM
That really was just awful.

canuckthug
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I think everybody's expectations are set high with all the recent game 7's but i agree this game was pretty flat for a playoff game. I thought Nashville would have brought more but this series should be low scoring and tight if it resembles any of the regular season encounters. This game had the emotion of a pre-season game compared to the last series which is not surprising. Having said that I thought the Canucks set the tone early and were clearly the better team so i was not bored!! Vancouver has to start burying chances (especially the twins) because Nashville should have been run out of the building early. Canucks outshot them 16-5 in the opening period and outplayed them overall but surely this wasnt the same Nashville team that beat the Ducks. Pekka Rinne was solid so hopefully the Canucks stay away from his glove. I would expect a better effort from Nashville in game 2 but Game 2 is Saturday and Vancouver will bring the A game for the home crowd as well.

How about that call on Ballard for hitting Tootoo?? clipping? really? that was a clean/solid/textbook hip check.

DarkValiant
04-29-2011, 12:09 AM
I think everybody's expectations are set high with all the recent game 7's but i agree this game was pretty flat for a playoff game. I thought Nashville would have brought more but this series should be low scoring and tight if it resembles any of the regular season encounters. This game had the emotion of a pre-season game compared to the last series which is not surprising. Having said that I thought the Canucks set the tone early and were clearly the better team so i was not bored!! Vancouver has to start burying chances (especially the twins) because Nashville should have been run out of the building early. Canucks outshot them 16-5 in the opening period and outplayed them overall but surely this wasnt the same Nashville team that beat the Ducks. Pekka Rinne was solid so hopefully the Canucks stay away from his glove. I would expect a better effort from Nashville in game 2 but Game 2 is Saturday and Vancouver will bring the A game for the home crowd as well.

How about that call on Ballard for hitting Tootoo?? clipping? really? that was a clean/solid/textbook hip check.

You're not allowed to submarine people anymore. Not sure how long it's been that way but for at least 4 or 5 seasons now.

canuckthug
04-29-2011, 02:00 AM
You're not allowed to submarine people anymore. Not sure how long it's been that way but for at least 4 or 5 seasons now.

by submarine do you mean hitting low (aka clipping??). Tootoo said he didnt have a problem with the hit in the post game interviews.. here is the hit from yesterday and i dont think they are different from these other ones (no penalties called on those other ones). I think it was a bad call yesterday and in a 1-0 playoff game, i got a problem with it and the overall inconsistency of these calls.
YouTube - Keith Ballard Hip Check - Canucks Vs Predators - R2G1 2011 Playoffs - 04.28.11 - HD
YouTube - Keith Ballard big hip check 1/8/11
YouTube - Keith Ballard MASSIVE Hip Check on Hartnell 3/27/2009
YouTube - Keith Ballard hipchecks Rod Pelley
YouTube - Ballard Huge Hip Check On Evgeni Malkin+Crosby vs Ballard HQ
panther announcers are homers here ^, (cleaning Crosbys clock :rolleyes:)

DarkValiant
04-29-2011, 02:38 AM
44.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.
A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.
An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.

Don't get me wrong, I love these kinds of hits. I love pretty much all hits in the game. I don't even really think it SHOULD be a penalty, but it is one.

Hamsterkill
04-29-2011, 06:24 AM
That certainly is not what I normally think of when I think of a clipping penalty... but the check was around Tootoo's knee area I guess and Ballard did lower his body at the end in order to get enough speed to intercept. I don't necessarily think it needed to be called, but it's not unwarranted

Raja
05-01-2011, 12:49 PM
What a fluke/joke goal for Nashville to tie it up, HUGE game for Rinne though. outstanding.

two24four
05-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Rinne is the only reason NSH had any chance in the 1st two games.

NSH now has home ice, they need to use that against the Nucks.

boredguy
05-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Rinne is the only reason NSH had any chance in the 1st two games.

NSH now has home ice, they need to use that against the Nucks.

I thought Preds outplayed the Nucks pretty handily during regulation in game 2. Rinne definitely saved'em in OT though.

Kyle
05-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Rinne is the only reason NSH had any chance in the 1st two games..

Nucks were drastically outplayed through 60 in game 2. Preds deserved it as a team.

Snipes16
05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Didn't get to see the Preds too much this year but it was shocking to see how much they dominated the Nucks for large portions of that game and they still almost went down 0-2 if it weren't for Luongo's softie that got it tied

Rinne was ridiculous in OT, especially the Bieksa chance

canuckthug
05-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Very solid win for the Canucks. The Canucks never allowed the Preds to get the lead and Kesler was on point again. Kesler school'd Norris candidate Shea Webber and his partner tonight. It was a PP goal but still a beauty and the eventual GW. The Canucks could have had this series tonight if it wasn't for that fluke game 2 goal but its hard to complain after taking 2 on the road and being up 3-1. Cant get overly excited though (much like NeelyDan in the Boston/Phily series) because Van has had a 3-1 lead in round 2 before and they have not seen round 3 since 94!! GO VAN !!

I do have a complaint though and his name his Aaron Rome. Ballard has been playing decent and nobody in Canuck nation really knows why he is sitting in AV's doghouse. Hopefully after watching Rome tonight, AV gets the message because Rome's turnovers could have cost us the game. Looking forward to game 5 and seeing Ballard or Alberts instead.. end mini-rant and GO VAN!!

edit:
Just found a quote from AV regarding the d-men. Sorry AV, rome is not in the top 6.

Alain Vigneault is not tipping his hat on what his lineup is for tonight. But according to Dan Murphy, Sami Salo will play, as will Aaron Rome, meaning Andrew Alberts and Keith Ballard are out. Vigneault was asked why Ballard is not playing lately and he said: "You know what? Right now we've got eight healthy defensemen and I feel the six we're using tonight give us the best chance to win. We've got good depth there and we're going to use it."
from nucksmisconduct.com

canuckthug
05-09-2011, 10:07 PM
3 road wins and thats all she wrote! Bring on Round 3, first time in 17 years. Speaking of 17, Kesler was a beast all series!!
Canucks dont play till Saturday or Sunday (according to CBC). They could use the break.

Good for Nashville making it this far for the 1st time. Shea Webber is UFA and that will be their #1 priority in the summer.

DarkValiant
05-09-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm just happy this series is over. There's only so much of 5 players stacking on the blue line to clog shit up that I can take.

I know Vancouver's much better than they showed this series, I just hope that whoever they play next round brings the best out of them. Watching Vancouver only get 2 shots in the second period was aggravating.

Kyle
05-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Boring series.

dw13
05-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Boring series.

I didn't think so.

Kyle
05-10-2011, 02:58 AM
I thought 2/6 games were great, 1 was decent, 3 were just forgettable.

NeelyDan
05-10-2011, 09:26 AM
i'm with kyle, i couldn't watch this series at all, ugh

two24four
05-10-2011, 01:40 PM
I watched every game, but I also agree, it was a snooze fest.