PDA

View Full Version : How important are D men in fantasy?

CrazedPuck
03-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Would you move say Doughty for a big name RW ? The guys seem to really like big name D Do you think big name D men are that crucial?

Raja
03-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Big name D are ridiculously important, but after a certain point they become expendable. 35-40 point defenseman are all over the place, so it's the ones that score 50+ that give you the edge, and more than that is money. It's quite nice having defenseman that put up more points than some of your forwards. Considering you keep 1 at each position I'd be asking a lot for Doughty.

wendel_
03-01-2011, 10:02 AM
My take on D isn't a common one, but it has seemed to work for me.
I prefer to shy away from the big name D, and instead take D in later rounds that I project to have good years/get good time on the top PP unit or something. 40 point D-men can be had pretty late, and if you do your homework you can draft a coupla guys that should get to 40 and have potential to get past 50.
I drafted Yandle relatively late this year in a few leagues. Next year, Pietrangelo can probably be had relatively late, but could produce just as well as guys taken a couple of rounds before him. There'll be a few other guys like that too.

In your situation though, you have a good young player already on RW in Stewart, so it depends on what you do with Stewart. If you can't move Stewart after this deal, then factor in that you're essentially trading Doughty and Stewart for whoever you'd get back...Even with my take on D value, it would have to be a pretty amazing return to make it worth it.

Zamboners
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I go along with Wendel pretty much. I also prefer to run lean on D poistions and keep 2 available slots empty on D to grab extra forwards that sit on my bench. When they get hot I sub them with forwards who are under producing at the time. It works pretty well if you have a pulse on a guy starting his hot streak or when he's cooling off to juggle the best points on your scoresheet.
Although, I do keep an eye on draft day to see when all other teams have nabbed a top D man and try to sneak at least one on to my roster in later rounds. For example, I drafted Shea Weber in the 10th round this year.

iknowkungfu
03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
that's all good and well in a no max games pool, if you're playing max games it's far more significant to fill out all your games and get production from everywhere

i have a 25-30 point lead on 2nd in my roto keeper at the moment

wendel_
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I used to go with the run short one D-man, but now I've started filling that spot in with a high PIM guy like Peckham or Carkner or something. But good point too though - running short a D only works with no max games.

But to your main question though, on top of the Chris Stewart factor, given your keeper setup of having to keep one at each position, your D is pretty questionable for next year after Doughty. You don't know what Montreal's goiing to do with Markov/their D, so Wisniewski is a questionmark. Vancouver has a lot of D as well, so it's not a guarantee that when Edler comes back/next season that he has top PP time. Bouwmeester sucks, and McCabe is 37.
So, I'd stand pat for sure, unless you get a really good offer, and then flip Stewart for a decent Dman.

iknowkungfu
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
edler will be a top 2 staple, bieksa and salo both likely on their way out at the end of the season

wendel_
03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Yaa you're probably right, ha.

wendel_
03-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Even if Edler is keeper worthy, I still say don't make a trade unless you're either getting a significant upgrade over Stewart. Doughty is probably a top 5 Dman in a keeper, whereas Edler would be more of a top 15. So to make up for the drop from Doughty to Edler, you need to be having a nice upgrade over Stewart.

Chilly_Willy
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
If I was in a 1 per psoition keeper I wouldn't trade doubty unless I killed on a deal. Imo having 1 or 2 top D is very crucial to a successful season.

thehockeyguy79
03-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Would you move say Doughty for a big name RW ? The guys seem to really like big name D Do you think big name D men are that crucial?

If this question is about the team in your sig, keep Doughty.

Do you think big name D men are that crucial? Yes and No

Having one top blue chip Dman is nice but filling out your roster with 3 of them isn't necessary. The biggest thing is to research who is where and what role they play with the team. Example Goligoski. After Gonchar left the Pens his value automatically increased. He was bound to see increased 5 on 5 time and at the very least 2nd PP time if not 1st. In most of the leagues I am in that are semi standard one year h2h yahoo pools he went in the 11th - 12th round range. In the leagues I ended up with him I picked him up in the 8th-11th.

The biggest thing with fantasy hockey in general is research and what I mean is YOU doing the research not just logging into a pay site or following THN's Ult Guide like it is the Bible. Yes use those tools to help you but don't rely solely on them or you will find yourself out of the playoff picture more often than not.