PDA

View Full Version : Goalie Rankings for February 26th

Raja
02-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Disclaimer: All of the following are based on my (hopefully) unbiased opinion and are in no way statistical fact. Factors going into my decisions include goalie skill, match up, career stats vs, and recent trends. How many goalies start reflects how much I write about them, usually. If you disagree about anything feel free to voice your opinion!

C = CONFIRMATION: All confirmations are listed below or click here (http://goaliestatus.com/)

Early Games!
NSH @ DAL 2pm
COL @ LAK 4pm

Must Start
Rinne @DAL: The Preds have now been shutout 2 games in a row. Rinne still stopped 22 of 24 shots Chicago took, but without offensive help it's pretty hard to maintain stud status.
Thomas @VAN: Thomas' play has slipped, but he bounced back nicely against the Flames. Want some impressive numbers? 2-0-0, 0gaa, 1.000sv%, 70sv, 2SO against Vancouver. This could very well be a preview of the SCF.
C Luongo vs BOS: It's not because of being over worked, but something has affected the play of Luongo the last few games. He's got some decent stats himself against Boston.

Good Start
Quick vs COL: Quick has won 8 of his last 10, thrusting his team back into a playoff spot. The number are obviously close, but I think the top 5 teams in the West are set to make it, and Dallas/Nashville could replace Calgary, Chicago, or Minnesota. Quick is 5-0 against the Avs, but with mediocre numbers.
*C Boucher @OTT: Unsurprisingly, Boucher is set to start in net. He's been great this year, but is 1-7-1 against Ottawa, who appears to be re-energized, so start with caution.
Fleury @TOR: Fleury has started 4 games in the last 6 days, but since he was pulled last night he may go again. Bump Johnson down one.
C Reimer vs PIT: It was an ugly win against Montreal, but that's the stat that matters most. 1 less win than Giggy, 10 less games started.
Varlamov @NYI: Seeing that this too was a B2B, starting Neuvirth yesterday probably didn't mean anything in his favor. 2 of is last 3 starts were poor, but he's been rock solid since December.
Miller vs DET: This is the first time all season Miller has had 5 good starts in a row. He's 2-3-0 in that span, but he's allowed 2 or less in all of them. Unfortunately, he's 2-5-1 against Detroit with poor stats.

Toss Up
C Lehtonen vs NSH: Lehtonen has allowed 2 goals total in his last 2 games, stopping 60 of 62 shots combined from Jersey and Detroit. He's 3-1 against the Preds with great numbers.
Anderson vs PHI: I'm not sure if Lehner is good to go or back up or not, but Anderson is now used to being over worked, so another start isn't out of the question. He let in 3 last night but still ended up with 35 saves.
Ward @MTL: Ward's last 2 starts have been great, and his numbers this month continue to improve. He's 11-5-2 against the Habs.
C Price vs CAR: The last time Price had 3 good starts in a row was about a month ago. Before that, early December. He got the loss last game against Toronto even though he only let in 2 of the 5 goals scored, so I guess it's a little pay back for stealing a win stopping only 4 shots a little while ago.
Montoya vs WSH: Montoya let in 4 goals against Philly, but almost took the game to a shootout and still ended up with a .907sv%.

Weak Start
C Macdonald @BUF: Howard is getting the night off, but I had heard Osgood was off the IR. Macdonald has let in 14 goals in his last 4 starts.

Don't Start
C Elliott vs LAK: Unfortunately for Elliott, he didn't take the move as well as Anderson did. Frankly, because he's not very good.

Zamboners
02-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Once again my awesome goalie line-up's stats this week are in the outhouse taking a dump.
Only one win behind though, so who has better chance at W? I have Rinne in now but could switch to Thomas, although at Vancouver seems tight match-up. Have Ward as well, but he played last night and is on the road.

Raja
02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Tough call. Go with your gut, I'd pick Rinne. Nashville is more likely to score in bunches after getting shutout twice than Thomas shutting out Vancouver for a 3rd time. One shutout was from 08/09, and the other from 06/07, so it's not like he's carrying some kind of momentum with him, but both teams are very good.

Zamboners
02-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Tough call. Go with your gut, I'd pick Rinne. Nashville is more likely to score in bunches after getting shutout twice than Thomas shutting out Vancouver for a 3rd time. One shutout was from 08/09, and the other from 06/07, so it's not like he's carrying some kind of momentum with him, but both teams are very good.

Yes, thanks for confirm my thought that Nashville would be less likely to be held scoreless again. Also, Dallas I think is a good match-up for them. I think Boston/Vancouver might be low scoring game, but since my stats are busted, just need a win to tie point cat for week.

Cornholio
02-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Auld starts tonight, Price out with the flu!
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355494

Cornholio
02-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Need help:
Pick 2:
Luongo vs Bruins
Lehtonen vs Preds
Ward @ Habs

Need WINS more than anything!
Thanks!

Daveblizz
02-26-2011, 03:23 PM