PDA

View Full Version : Projecting James Neal

wendel_
02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Assuming that Sid and Malkin are back healthy next year, what do people project for Neal starting next year? He already was playing with Richards, so it's not like he's going from playing with Bozak to playing with Sid. But at the same time, Sid is an upgrade over pretty much any C in the league.

I'm in a league where we keep 8, and I have: Malkin, E Staal, Heatley, Iginla, Lecavalier, Hossa, Grabovski, Yandle as keeper worthy players (plus, goalies are quite valuable, so I need to keep Luongo and Crawford). So, I can only keep 6 of those skaters.
Does you project Neal's value increase enough that he should be in that group of keepable players? Or, if you own him in a keeper, are you trading him "high" right now, assuming that he won't live up to expectations?

Raja
02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
If you keep Malkin/E.Staal, Grabovski and Lecavalier become expendable. Heatley, Yandle, Neal, and one of Iginla/Hossa are who I'd pick. 35/35 next year isn't unreasonable, but honestly I'm expecting more (4th year breakout)

wendel_
02-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the response...Hopefully he doesn't top 35/35 next year ha - just traded him and Benn for Sharp. Probably an overpayment, especially if Richards re-signs and Benn takes over the top line LW duty.

But, I figured, I had Benn on IR with no one to drop (and couldn't keep him next year). And this is the third year in a row that my team has been on fire and is in first by a long shot. But, each of the last 2 years I lost the first week after the bye. So I wanted the upgrade Sharp would give me over Neal (without Sid or Malkin) for this year, to try to finally translate regular season success into playoff success.
And hopefully Neal doesn't come back to bite me in the ass with a breakout year.

Raja
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if Neal did better than Sharp next year, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to win :beer:

Habber82
02-24-2011, 05:07 PM
This deal should help this year, but you lose pretty badly long term.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
I wonder if Neal doesn't take a fantasy/point production hit for the remainder of the season? He should do well along side Sid or Geno in the future but for the rest of this year he gets -- Staal ?

I love J.Staal don't get me wrong.... but he is a different type of player when compared to Richards or Crosby.

Chilly_Willy
02-24-2011, 05:44 PM
I am going to have to see it to believe it. Pitts has been a revolving door for wingers and no one has clicked into major points playing along side the leagues best 1-2-3 center duo.

50-60 points until I see otherwise.

dw13
02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I am going to have to see it to believe it. Pitts has been a revolving door for wingers and no one has clicked into major points playing along side the leagues best 1-2-3 center duo.

50-60 points until I see otherwise.

None of have as talented as James Neal. Not even close.

wendel_
02-24-2011, 06:20 PM
I wonder if Neal doesn't take a fantasy/point production hit for the remainder of the season? He should do well along side Sid or Geno in the future but for the rest of this year he gets -- Staal ?

I love J.Staal don't get me wrong.... but he is a different type of player when compared to Richards or Crosby.

Ya, I think he definitely takes a hit this year - I like Staal too, but he's no Richards. Which is why I did the deal, to try to win this year.

But I do think Neal will do quite well next year. He's not a guarantee, but like it's been said, of the assortment of wingers that Sid has had, none have been near as good as Neal is.

But ya, I guess we'll see for next year. Sharp's on a 43 goal pace this year...and while I don't expect him to repeat that next year, I don't see him falling off dramatically. So even if he drops off to a 30-35 goal year next year, I won't lose the deal by tons at least (I don't see Neal getting 45-50 or anything).

Chilly_Willy
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
None of have as talented as James Neal. Not even close.

Agreed but you still would have expected a boost from the norm to the players that were tried. Its scary to think what would happen if someone really clicked with Crosby and or Malkin. IMO it hasn't happened yet.

Gambit
02-26-2011, 05:59 PM
James Neal should easily be a 30+ goal, 70+ pt player with a fully recovered and healthy Crosby centering him over an 82 game NHL reg. season schedule.