PDA

View Full Version : reimer

dman2143
02-20-2011, 07:38 AM
trying to figure out if hes keeper material in a keep 4 10 team league. i would be able to keep him as a last rd pick. now, the usual top goalies are kept, and about 2 very good and 8 "above average goalies" are tossed back in. but im trying to weigh if the maple leafs suckage outweighs the kid's skill and last rd pickability...

Raja
02-20-2011, 08:03 AM
No. Trade him for someone good who's rookie eligible, you have nobody.

dman2143
02-20-2011, 08:06 AM
havent updated sig in a while. picked up schenn from LA. other than that, theres no rookie elig guys on the block.

Raja
02-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't want to keep someone not even in the NHL yet necessarily either.

Semin and Quick should be your only definite keepers. Toews, Koivu, Hossa, Kessel, and Hemsky could also be, so trade 3 them/Reimer for upgrades+a rookie if you can. If they aren't on the block, you haven't asked enough :beer:

Roy Hinske
02-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I believe Reimer should be in the minors for another year or two. He has come up fast because of necessity.

Dangles
02-21-2011, 10:51 PM
I believe Reimer should be in the minors for another year or two. He has come up fast because of necessity.

Wrong. Kid has been studly as a Leaf. He has stayed a Leaf because he has earned the playing time.

Roy Hinske
02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
I have seen young keepers do that and never establish a career past a flash in the pan. He needs time to develop IMHO.

wendel_
02-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Ya, I'll need to see something more long term before even considering him a keeper. As a Leaf fan, I hope he's the real deal, but there are a few things though that make me cautious of crowning him the new king.
One is that even when he was called up, the Leafs expected nothing from him. When Giguere went down, the Leafs called Reimer up because he was backing Rynnas up on the Marlies. They didn't want their "top goalie prospect", Rynnas to be sitting on the bench, so they brought Reimer up to sit on the bench.
The major one though is, the Leafs always seem to have a nice run when the pressure is off. Gustavsson did the same thing last year. We even had JS Aubin give us a solid run a coupla seasons back. So is Reimer proving what he'll do in the future, or is he just an unknown goalie having a good run with the Leafs while he and the team have no pressure? Hopefully the former, but until the Leafs get better as a team I'll be steering clear of their goalies for a while.

thehockeyguy79
02-22-2011, 11:49 PM
I have seen young keepers do that and never establish a career past a flash in the pan. He needs time to develop IMHO.

+ 1 on this. He could very well be the future, but lets not go overboard on him just yet especially in a keep 4 league.

toronto1979
02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Agreed. He's taking the career path of Justin Pogge right now. I'd rather see him follow the footsteps of Jimmy Howard who spent 4 years in the AHL.

alias
02-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Wrong. Kid has been studly as a Leaf. He has stayed a Leaf because he has earned the playing time.

Just like Steve Mason......:\

phaneuf6
02-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Agreed. He's taking the career path of Justin Pogge right now. I'd rather see him follow the footsteps of Jimmy Howard who spent 4 years in the AHL.

No he's not. Justin Pogge sucked dick from the moment he stepped on NHL ice.

Reimer is really technically sound. This isn't happening by chance. The guys good. I still wouldn't be keeping him in that shallow a keeper.

chadw01
02-26-2011, 12:25 AM
He's a good goalie, but I wouldn't hold him in a keeper.

dman2143
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
just thought id bump it up. this kid has been amazing. no chance hes the next crawford or howard, seeing as what hes done so far?

Raja
03-23-2011, 12:15 PM
howard sucks. i haven't seen much of crawford. it's too early to tell.

wendel_
03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Ya, it's just too early to tell. This year, ride him. The Leafs (for the most part) are playing desperate hockey, and Reimer has been great.
But unless it's a deep keeper, I wouldn't be holding onto him. There are the questions of 'is this the real reimer or is he on a nice roll? We just don't know. The other thing just as legitimate question is, how does Burke feel about him? Are these 25-35 games enough to convince him that he's the answer, or will he go out and try to sign a guy like Bryzgalov?

szuturon
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/is-james-reimer-the-real-deal/article1926758/

Something for you to read if you haven't already.