PDA

View Full Version : Perry vs Malkin

wendel_
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I asked this in the him vs him thread, but thinking I'd like a bit more feedback.
Standard category keeper, this year doesnt matter - who do you prefer?

EDIT: I ask because I had assumed Malkin, but was talking to someone else who preferred Perry because of concerns over Malkin's knee being a lingering problem. Curious what others think?

gogoayane
02-17-2011, 01:57 PM
It's a tough one... Malkin had more upside but injury is a concern... that said... i'll still stick with him as PIT is a much more offensive team when Sid and Malkin are playing

Habber82
02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Malkin, but the injury concern is a valid one.

bearcats
02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
I like perry here, partially cause he is a stud across the entire fantasy stat catagories and he is a lock to play beside getzlaf for the foreseeabel future...Malkin although has talent now has a major injury to contend with....

Chilly_Willy
02-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Perry for me after Malkin's injury struggles.

Daveblizz
02-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Perry
Malkin injury scare me a little bit

jeffoule
02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
humm it's a good one. Very hard to predict. I would still say Malkin, but he is a little more risky

housenuts
02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
i'd go with perry.

pros: RW better than C. More PIMs. Health.

cons: malkin has higher upside.

I think the positional factor, as well as the pims, almost make-up for the potential point difference, and the health factor determinatively swings it in perry's favour

Raja
02-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Malkin.

Gern Blansten
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
I like perry here, partially cause he is a stud across the entire fantasy stat catagories and he is a lock to play beside getzlaf for the foreseeabel future...Malkin although has talent now has a major injury to contend with....

Couldn't have said it better. Another Perry vote.

Dubz
02-17-2011, 06:35 PM
i'd go with perry.

pros: RW better than C. More PIMs. Health.

cons: malkin has higher upside.

I think the positional factor, as well as the pims, almost make-up for the potential point difference, and the health factor determinatively swings it in perry's favour

I agree with this.

Dubz
02-17-2011, 06:42 PM
This year (for quick reference)

Injured Malkin 37 points

Healthy Perry 65 points + 86 PIMs + RW

pjm
02-18-2011, 12:01 AM
I think you've gotta go Perry. Not many other guys do what he can do... Might be time to consider Perry in the top 5 for next year fantasy drafts.

wendel_
02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the opinions - It's hard to turn down an offer like that for Malkin after he was top 3 for a few years, but you guys bring up excellent points. I'm leaning towards rejecting the offer now.

crownroyal
02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Didn't Heatly have a major knee injury like this in his car crash and is fine now? I thought I read that somewhere....

I take Malkin, but it's close

wendel_
02-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Ya he had pretty major surgery too - however his was a little different. It was only one of them (I forget if with was ACL or MCL), but he also had almost 2 years to recover because of the lockout.
From what I understand, the biggest problem with knee injuries is that it's very easy to come back too quickly, which can cause further damage. So Healtey's was a bit different then in that he had tons of time to let it heal 100%, with no pressure of rushing it.

I'll take a healthy Malkin over Perry any day - Malkin was getting 100+ points and 80 PIM's while healthy (100 pim's last year, and was on a 95 point pace last year). But the knee is a scary thing, especially if it's been lingering for Malkin for the past two years now, and adding that to this surgery. Kills me to now be leaning towards rejecting it, because now it's pretty much a guarantee that if I reject that Geno will come back healthy next year and play a dominating 82 games haha.

chadw01
02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Perry for me.. although it depends on your cats - normally I'd choose a healthy Malkin, but we know that will never happen - he's a permanent member of the band aid boy club now.

yipper05
02-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Didn't Heatly have a major knee injury like this in his car crash and is fine now? I thought I read that somewhere....

I take Malkin, but it's close

If you have seen Heatley skate before the car crash, you should know he is definitely not the same player he could have been.

That said, I'd take perry. Across the board production and a RW.