PDA

View Full Version : offered Datsyuk for my Kovy in a keeper

flyt300
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
All year I'da been all over this. Now I'm not so sure. What say you?
Probably comes down to who is the better keeper. Who will have the better cast for the next few years?

Raja
02-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Since you use positions and no faceoff wins, keep Kovy.

Rocklobster
02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
the better keeper would be kovy. I wouldn't trade him for datsyuk because of what raja said plus you already have zetterberg

Habber82
02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Since you use positions and no faceoff wins, keep Kovy.

I have to agree. Tough choice. Datsyuk is the better player and will outpoint Kovy in most years, but he'll likely be a C going forward and LW are more valuable than C's in positional leagues. Owning Zetterberg isn't an issue.

Rocklobster
02-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Owning Zetterberg isn't an issue.
sure it is if you have a 7 keepers and 2 of them are forwards on the same team and they aren't young guys anymore you know. They both are great but I'm saying one of them is enough in a limited keeper league.

Habber82
02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Why does it matter that they are on the same team? They are two of the better players in the league. That's all you should care about.

By your logic I shouldn't own St. Louis and Stamkos or the Sedins because they are on the same team....? Doesn't make sense.

I've never really understood this logic to be honest.

housenuts
02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Why does it matter that they are on the same team?

the logic is that because they are the same position it could mean he has to bench someone at that position more often.

however they are both C,LW so that discounts the possibility of that happening.

also his league he plays 3 at each position, so that also discounts it.

in my league i only play 2 RW's and have both Perry and Selanne and usually end up having to either bench one of them or one of my other RW's.

the fact they are on the same team in your case shouldn't be relevant.

Habber82
02-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Fine, but two players on the same team who play the same position is different than owning two forwards from the same team. But also if those two players do play the same position AND are two of the best players in the league, then I don't really see an issue with it unless you only start one at each position. I would gladly own Malkin and Crosby and play them both at C every night. I would be less inclined to own one stud and one average guy from the same team that play the same position (ie, Perry and Selanne), but if the average player is better than the guy sitting on my bench then I'd have less of an issue. Plus, in a keeper you should also consider holding the player that either has the highest upside and/or will have the highest trade value regardless of position. Finally, all of this is coming from a guy who only plays roto with max games so in a H2H (which I admittedly know much less about strategies) this might all be very different.

Raja
02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
In H2H having pairs of players is HUGE and it's a common misconception that it's a bad thing. In roto you always compete against everyone, but say I have Stamkos, and one week I'm playing the person with St.Louis. All of that production is practically canceled out. Having multiple pairs of people on your team is really a viable method of playing H2H, but it doesn't really apply to roto in the same way. If I have Stamkos, Sedin, Thornton, Getzlaf, then every time I play somebody with St.Louis, Sedin, Heatley, and Perry the production is a wash (huge waste if it happens to all be on the same team too)

Even if they have a bad week, it won't make or break your season unless it's playoffs. But if you have both Sedins and they both choke it's not like you'd be kicking yourself for owning them both, ya know?

mike550
02-11-2011, 09:14 PM
In this situation, Kovy has the edge over Datsyuk. Also, when dealing with superstars in a keeper you usually gotta go with the younger guy.

flyt300
02-12-2011, 12:59 PM
thanks gang, just the reassurance I needed to decide.