PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NHL trade deadline thread.

Pages : [1] 2

two24four
02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Chicago traded Jack Skille, Hugh Jessiman and David Pacan to Florida for Michal Frolik and Alexander Salak.

Isles traded a 6th round pick to PHX for Al Montoya.

Darren Dreger is also saying the Sharks and NJ are working on a small deal.

dw13
02-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Sweet deal for the Hawks, IMO.

Raja
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Sweet deal for the Hawks, IMO.

Jeez, tell me about it. Interesting to see where he lines up though with already top 6 capable C's and RW's there, bottom 6 would be a waste for him. If they plan to re-sign him it doesn't help their cap situation either.

boredguy
02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Bad bad deal for Florida, must be trying to get rid of their remaining fans.

Hamsterkill
02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I dunno. You gotta think Tallon knows the players involved better than anyone...

two24four
02-09-2011, 10:07 PM
It's a bad deal for FLA. Salak is a top goalie from Sweden.

HABS_FrEaK
02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I really don't get Florida...they make at least one terrible trade a year. It's sad.

Why the hell would you move Frolik...I don't get it.

bearcats
02-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Jeez, tell me about it. Interesting to see where he lines up though with already top 6 capable C's and RW's there, bottom 6 would be a waste for him. If they plan to re-sign him it doesn't help their cap situation either.

frolik also plays on the left side....

I see this

frolik towes kane
brouwer sharp hossa
kopecky bolland bickell
stahlberg dowell pisani

(scott and johnson)

phaneuf6
02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Woooo I have Frolik in my keeper. Bonus.

pjm
02-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Wow Frolik is going to look great in Chicago

bearcats
02-10-2011, 12:39 AM
frolik also plays on the left side....

I see this

frolik towes kane
brouwer sharp hossa
kopecky bolland bickell
stahlberg dowell pisani

(scott and johnson)

we could also see this

sharp toews kane
frolik kopecky hossa (certain chemistry with hossa/kopy/..)
brouwer bolland bickell
stahlberg dowell pisani (scott/johnson)

phaneuf6
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Fisher to Nashville for a first round pick. Works out for all parties, including Carrie Underwood (being in Nashville).

Doctego
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Fisher to Nashville for a first round pick. Works out for all parties, including Carrie Underwood (being in Nashville).

It's amazing how the value of draft picks changes so much from sport to sport.

two24four
02-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Great trade for both teams.

Fisher will help NSH out alot.

Carrie must be pumped, Mike said after they where married that once he hangs the skates up for good that he would move to NSH for good, guess they can do that sooner.

Bob McKenzie twitter.

Conditional pick is NAS’s third rder if Preds win 1 round in playoffs, turns into second-rder in 2012 if the team wins two-or-more rounds.

two24four
02-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Headline on the Nashville Tennessean web-site says, 'Predators acquire Carrie Underwood's husband'.

:lol::lol:

Maybe he should wear his last name as Underwood on his jersey, they will know who he is that way.

canuckthug
02-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Classy trade by the Sens organization. I hope it works out for them, they need an overhaul.

madsci
02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Classy trade by the Sens organization. I hope it works out for them, they need an overhaul.

Agreed on both counts. I would say that this trade officially signals that the overhaul has begun.

two24four
02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Does anyone else find it funny that Murray can get a 1st round pick for Fisher, but he could not get one for Heatley.

I like this deal alot better then the one he made with Heatley.

gogoayane
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Sad to see Fisher leaving OTT... but the picks coming back is huge for the team's future. Fisher is one of the top two-way forwards in the league... for once Murray made a good trade in a while.

gogoayane
02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Does anyone else find it funny that Murray can get a 1st round pick for Fisher, but he could not get one for Heatley.

I like this deal alot better then the one he made with Heatley.

I agree... the situation is different though... Heatley wanted out during off-season when teams are still experimenting their roster. There's no need to give up too much when you have a list of young guns in your farm.

Now is a good time to trade... two more months before playoff... teams are filled with injuries and holes in roster... hard to get a good center these days. This is a perfect time to trade Fisher.

And it can't get any better for him to go to Nashville.

canuckthug
02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Agreed on both counts. I would say that this trade officially signals that the overhaul has begun.

The heatley situation sucked for Ottawa but they could have gotten more for him tbh. at least a first rounder like 24 suggested.
The overhaul may have begun in Ottawa but Gonchar's Cap hit/contract is pretty bad. I like Spezza but 7 million is also steep and it is longterm.

b_illin
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I agree... the situation is different though... Heatley wanted out during off-season when teams are still experimenting their roster. There's no need to give up too much when you have a list of young guns in your farm.

Now is a good time to trade... two more months before playoff... teams are filled with injuries and holes in roster... hard to get a good center these days. This is a perfect time to trade Fisher.

And it can't get any better for him to go to Nashville.

They should have waited with Heatley...let him be a distraction and if he doesn't want to report/play, then tough shit. They catered to Dany WAY too much.

canuckthug
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
They should have waited with Heatley...let him be a distraction and if he doesn't want to report/play, then tough shit. They catered to Dany WAY too much.

agreed.. they handled that situation wrong. Alot of media people say GM Murray was backed into a corner and had no choice. I even heard people say Murray handled that situation as best as anyone could have but Im not buying into that.

two24four
02-10-2011, 05:24 PM

Agreed, they just wanted him gone, before things got worse, so Murray took the best offer he had at that time I think. It would not have gone over well, but I would have made Heatley sit till an offer came up that was good for the team, not the player. You want out, then you go where we send you, which should have been EDM in the 1st place, that was a better deal then the deal they made with SJ. EDM deal would have been Cogs, Penner and Smid for Heatley, but Heatley did not want to go to EDM.

szuturon
02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1231097285/8270_hockey-nhl-extende-2796_normal.jpeg (http://twitter.com/#%21/HockeyBreak) @HockeyBreak (http://twitter.com/#%21/HockeyBreak) Sources

Sources are saying Kaberle has waived his NTC for certain teams. I have no info on which or how many teams he waived to. #leafs (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23leafs)

Yea I do not know how credible this tweet is... but I felt I should share it anyway.

two24four
02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Yea I do not know how credible this tweet is... but I felt I should share it anyway.

Yeah I would need to hear it from McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun, Kypreos etc.... before believing it, none of them have said anything on twitter about this.

two24four
02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
haha, one of the Ottawa radio stations is not going to be playing Carrie Underwood songs anymore :lol::lol:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/02/10/17227721.html

Gambit
02-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Not a trade, but Dallas has signed former Red Wing Jason Williams to a two way contract. He had been playing for the Connecticut Whale of the AHL.

two24four
02-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Not a trade, but Dallas has signed former Red Wing Jason Williams to a two way contract. He had been playing for the Connecticut Whale of the AHL.

Good signing, little Willy is a good depth player.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-13-2011, 04:19 AM
Kovalev back to Pittsburgh? That would be interesting. . .

phaneuf6
02-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Not a trade but Big Buff re-upped in Atlanta today, 5 years, 26 million. Seems steep but hey, if he can repeat this year's success, why not.

madsci
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Not a trade but Big Buff re-upped in Atlanta today, 5 years, 26 million. Seems steep but hey, if he can repeat this year's success, why not.

Dude's getting paid. good for him.

saveur
02-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Kelly to Boston for 2nd round pick.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354039

phaneuf6
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Wow, great deal for the Sens... a 2nd rounder for Kelly? Yikes.

MrScientist
02-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I don't want Tampa or Detroit making deadline deals with these prices.

two24four
02-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Wow, great deal for the Sens... a 2nd rounder for Kelly? Yikes.

Like I said in the Leafs thread, if anything, I think this might up the offers for Kabby, if Kelly is worth a 2nd, then Kabby is for sure worth a 1st.

phaneuf6
02-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Like I said in the Leafs thread, if anything, I think this might up the offers for Kabby, if Kelly is worth a 2nd, then Kabby is for sure worth a 1st.

Especially with the Bruins being the ones who valued him so high.

two24four
02-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Especially with the Bruins being the ones who valued him so high.

Lot's of people seem to think if a deal get's done with Boston it might be Boston's 1st round pick (not the Leafs pick) Wheeler + a prospect for Kabby, my guess is one of C-Hamill, C- Colborne, C- Spooner or RW- Knight being the prospect.

I would like it to be Spooner, and with Boston picking up Kelly who is another centre, they might be able to move a centre prospect. Spooner almost made the B's this season out of camp, he's a great playmaker with a nice shot, he would look good as one of the Leafs top two centre's with Kadri one day.

Colborne is more Burke's type though, big guy, who played in the NCAA.

madsci
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Lot's of people seem to think if a deal get's done with Boston it might be Boston's 1st round pick (not the Leafs pick) Wheeler + a prospect for Kabby, my guess is one of C-Hamill, C- Colborne, C- Spooner or RW- Knight being the prospect.

I would like it to be Spooner, and with Boston picking up Kelly who is another centre, they might be able to move a centre prospect. Spooner almost made the B's this season out of camp, he's a great playmaker with a nice shot, he would look good as one of the Leafs top two centre's with Kadri one day.

Colborne is more Burke's type though, big guy, who played in the NCAA.

I don't know - that's crazy high price for a UFA. 1st, Wheeler, and blue-chip prospect? No way I see that happen.

two24four
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't know - that's crazy high price for a UFA. 1st, Wheeler, and blue-chip prospect? No way I see that happen.

Not if Kabby signs a new deal with his new team before waiving his NTC, which people think he will do.

Kabby does not just want to be a rental player.

NeelyDan
02-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't even do Wheeler for Kaberle straight up, lol.

two24four
02-16-2011, 01:11 PM

That's a joke right?

b_illin
02-16-2011, 01:41 PM

You don't need to worry then because there is no way in hell we'd deal Kabby to BOS for Wheeler straight up :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

NeelyDan
02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
That's a joke right?

No, it's not a joke. Kaberle is UFA, and I don't see him as much of an upgrade over what Steven Kampfer might bring in a year or two. He's weak defensively, he abhors shooting the puck, he is afraid to wrinkle an opponent's jersey in front of his own net, and I've just never been that impressed with him.

He would be a better option than Mark Recchi on the powerplay, but no, I would not give up Wheeler for him.

two24four
02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow, why dont we just give him to Boston for some pucks then.

Do you know how much better that PP get's in Boston if they get Kabby, as Aaron Ward said on TSN last night, Kabby is a perfect fit for Boston, he would be there new Savard in terms of getting the puck on the tape of the players it needs to be on.

Kabby would not have to do all that other stuff you talk about with the other d-man the B's have, his job is to get the puck up the ice, and onto the tape of the shooters.

Burke is not going to trade him for just Wheeler, just keep him if that was the case.

NeelyDan
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Wow, why dont we just give him to Boston for some pucks then.

Do you know how much better that PP get's in Boston if they get Kabby, as Aaron Ward said on TSN last night, Kabby is a perfect fit for Boston, he would there new Savard in terms of getting the puck on the tape of the players it needs to be on.

Burke is not going to trade him for just Wheeler, just keep him if that was the case.

Not sure why you're getting upset, I thought you wanted to know my reasoning.

The powerplay would improve, I'm not arguing that. I just don't think he's worth Blake Wheeler, particularly with his contract status.

two24four
02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Not sure why you're getting upset, I thought you wanted to know my reasoning.

The powerplay would improve, I'm not arguing that. I just don't think he's worth Blake Wheeler, particularly with his contract status.

I'm not upset at all, I just cant believe you dont think he's worth Wheeler, Wheeler is not that great of of player IMO, he would be good coming back this way only if there is more to the package.

As I said before, Kabby might sign a new deal with his new team before being traded, which makes his stock that much better, I'm not sure Kabby will waive his NTC without having a new deal in place.

NeelyDan
02-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm not upset at all, I just cant believe you dont think he's worth Wheeler, Wheeler is not that great of of player IMO, he would be good coming back this way only if there is more to the package.

As I said before, Kabby might sign a new deal with his new team before being traded, which makes his stock that much better, I'm not sure Kabby will waive his NTC without having a new deal in place.

Well, if I'm undervaluing Kaberle some, it's possible you are undervaluing Wheeler some. He was originally a 5th overall pick, and has been a 50 point guy his first couple seasons, a big body, fast, and if he played with more of an edge would be a very complete player.

two24four
02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, if I'm undervaluing Kaberle some, it's possible you are undervaluing Wheeler some. He was originally a 5th overall pick, and has been a 50 point guy his first couple seasons, a big body, fast, and if he played with more of an edge would be a very complete player.

Maybe Iam, who know's, maybe we should just agree to disagree.

Just for the record, that '04 draft after OV and Malkin was a very, very weak draft class.

b_illin
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Wheeler's never scored 50 pts and he's RFA this Summer. Nobody is suggesting he has no value, but you're fooling yourself if you think Burke would trade Kabby to a division rival for Blake Wheeler.

two24four
02-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Wheeler's never scored 50 pts and he's RFA this Summer. Nobody is suggesting he has no value, but you're fooling yourself if you think Burke would trade Kabby to a division rival for Blake Wheeler.

Agreed.

Wheeler has put up seasons of 45, 38 and so far this season he has 25 Pts, in those same three seasons Kabby has had 31, 49 and this season he has 37 Pts as a d-man, Kabby has more assists this season then Wheeler has Pts. Kabby has also had seasons with 67, 58, 47, 45, 40, 53 Pts in the past, which is what I think he would be closer to on a team like Boston.

NeelyDan
02-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Right, 45. My bad.

I guess we'll see when it all shakes out.

Gambit
02-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I've read Ian White to NSH for JP Dumont, pending Dumont waiving his NTC

two24four
02-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Right, 45. My bad.

I guess we'll see when it all shakes out.

I'm not saying the Leafs will get the deal most think they might, Boston's 1st, Wheeler + a prospect, but what I do know for sure, if Burke deals Kabby for just Wheeler, if he thinks he has taken heat over the Keseel deal, he has not seen anything yet, Toronto media and fans will eat him up over just getting Wheeler, and like b_ said, this is also a team in the Leafs divsion.

Ian White is getting tossed from team to team like crazy this last year, this would be his 4th team in a year.

phaneuf6
02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Jeff Marek has Ian White to Vancouver. White to Nashville makes no sense.

madsci
02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Burke can't simply worry about what the fans think. Right now he's facing the prospect of getting *nothing* for Kaberle - and given Kaberle's NTC, I'd say that's the most likely scenario. Burke is hamstrung by the NTC, so if Kaberle will waive it only for a couple teams, then you get the best you can from those teams.

The alternative is that Kaberle signs with BOS in the off-season and we don't have Wheeler or anything else to show for it.

two24four
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Jeff Marek has Ian White to Vancouver. White to Nashville makes no sense.

Nucks GM is saying he has not talked to anyone about White.

madsci
02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Nucks GM is saying he has not talked to anyone about White.

I think what's important is that we can all agree that someone is going to trade for Ian White.

lol: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/16/2067625/canes-consider-trade-for-white.html

NeelyDan
02-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Burke can't simply worry about what the fans think. Right now he's facing the prospect of getting *nothing* for Kaberle - and given Kaberle's NTC, I'd say that's the most likely scenario. Burke is hamstrung by the NTC, so if Kaberle will waive it only for a couple teams, then you get the best you can from those teams.

The alternative is that Kaberle signs with BOS in the off-season and we don't have Wheeler or anything else to show for it.

I was intentionally leaving this variable out, way to go, MADSCI!

two24four
02-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I would rather they just get a 2nd or 3rd round pick if that was the case, rather then just get Wheeler.

I still find it hard to believe Chris Kelly can get a 2nd round pick, but Kabby wont be able get more then that back in a deal.

madsci
02-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I would rather they just get a 2nd or 3rd round pick if that was the case, rather then just get Wheeler.

I still find it hard to believe Chris Kelly can get a 2nd round pick, but Kabby wont be able get more then that back in a deal.

Kelly has another year at $2M on his contract, which is pretty good value.

But I agree, I think Kabs might still command more. Maybe Wheeler and a 2nd? Dunno.

Gambit
02-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Bob McKenzie now saying White has not been traded. Ugh...at this point who cares lol

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-16-2011, 05:18 PM
I would love to see SJ get Kabby. . . You all can have Seto and a high draft pick for him! Out of the division, out of the conference. Sounds good to me!

b_illin
02-16-2011, 05:34 PM

but it's not nothing, it's $4.5mm in cap space. Any contract amount we take on past this season will reduce our available cap space.

(and Burke totally needs this to be a winner if he deals with BOS)

two24four
02-17-2011, 01:42 AM
Ducks traded Paul Mara to Montreal for a 2012 5th round pick.

phaneuf6
02-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Ducks traded Paul Mara to Montreal for a 2012 5th round pick.

Why Montreal, why!

In other news, Bogosian is supposedly unhappy in Atlanta... wonder what the asking price is for him...

two24four
02-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Why Montreal, why!

In other news, Bogosian is supposedly unhappy in Atlanta... wonder what the asking price is for him...

Heard that, I would think pretty high, Bogo will not be 21 years old till July, and he was just the 3rd overall pick just three years ago, he's still a great player, word is he's not getting along with the defence coach in ATL.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 08:52 AM
You'd have to think fairly steep for Bogosian.

Hamsterkill
02-17-2011, 08:57 AM
It'd be awesome if Buffalo could trade someone like Vanek or Connolly for Bogo.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
It'd be awesome if Buffalo could trade someone like Vanek or Connolly for Bogo.

If I'm Atlanta I'd want Kassian :)

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Dreger has Kaberle to Boston "virtually done", waiting on Boston to complete a third deal (not with Toronto), and deal is not hinging on Kaberle signing extension with Boston.

This could go a number of ways.

Hamsterkill
02-17-2011, 11:55 AM
If I'm Atlanta I'd want Kassian :)

Well, I know. I said it'd be awesome, not likely. :lol:

madsci
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Question for TSN/Canada peeps: How trustworthy is Dreger? Clearly, he's better than Eklund, but he's also no Bob McKenzie.

In any case, he's been putting out daily reports (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/) leading up to trade deadline. From today:

Failing a complete meltdown - which has scuttled at least one previous trade involving the Toronto Maple Leafs, Tomas Kaberle, and the Boston Bruins - there's strong belief that Kaberle will be traded to Boston.

It's unlikely the deal gets done today, but sources say it's close and say the deal doesn't hinge on Kaberle signing an extension with the Bruins.

The dynamics of the trade haven't been entirely worked out and sources indicate the Leafs are waiting for Boston to put the final pieces of the puzzle in place - a process which may take another day or two to finalize.

Cap space is somewhat of an issue for the Bruins - who are believed to be working on a secondary trade (not involving Toronto) to create some cap flexibility.

With the addition of Chris Kelly, Blake Wheeler has become a likely target - primarily because of his $2.2 million salary.

Wheeler is a versatile forward who's comfortable playing both the wing and at centre and is believed to be drawing interest from other teams.

Stay tuned.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Question for TSN/Canada peeps: How trustworthy is Dreger? Clearly, he's better than Eklund, but he's also no Bob McKenzie.

In any case, he's been putting out daily reports (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/) leading up to trade deadline. From today:

Just a HAIR, and I am not exaggerating, under bobby mac in terms of cred.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Writer for the Boston Globe emailed me and said conventional thinking is Boston's 1st rounder, possibly Mark Stuart.

madsci
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Writer for the Boston Globe emailed me and said conventional thinking is Boston's 1st rounder, possibly Mark Stuart.

Either or both? (surely both...)

Is Stuart a cap thing? Can't see why else.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Either or both? (surely both...)

Is Stuart a cap thing? Can't see why else.

Stuart has played himself out of the depth charts currently in Boston, much to my chagrin, I dig his style.

And yes, both.

madsci
02-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Also, Dreger suggests the B's are working on a second deal to clear cap space - any rumours?

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Also, Dreger suggests the B's are working on a second deal to clear cap space - any rumours?

Writer believes that IS wheeler, and it's because Toronto holds no interest in him.

madsci
02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
A little glad the Leafs are not interested in Wheeler - they've got enough guys to fill his space in the lineup. Would rather better picks/prospects.

LeBrun here suggesting B's could take a run at Brad Richards. That would take some serious cap room, though, no?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/4725/daily-debate-is-beantown-only-logical-destination-for-brad-richards

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
How that makes sense after acquiring Kelly is eluding me. The B's are starting to have a bit of a logjam at forward, tho.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
buddy of mine, leaf fan, thoughts on kaberle:

If you had seen him "quarter-back" the Leafs 5 on 3 last night, you'd be scared sh!tless right now. 1:34 with a 2 man advantage resulted in, maybe, 1 shot on net. Perhaps the most predictable exhibition of the powerplay I've seen in a long time. And that includes my nephew's Ancaster vs. Owen Sound Bantam-AE games.

madsci
02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
buddy of mine, leaf fan, thoughts on kaberle:

If you had seen him "quarter-back" the Leafs 5 on 3 last night, you'd be scared sh!tless right now. 1:34 with a 2 man advantage resulted in, maybe, 1 shot on net. Perhaps the most predictable exhibition of the powerplay I've seen in a long time. And that includes my nephew's Ancaster vs. Owen Sound Bantam-AE games.

I think his PP QB prowess is overrated. The Leafs have been near the bottom of the league in PP% for years. What Kaberle does well is skate the puck out of his own end and make good first passes. He's very good at that.

Also, as Steve Simmons pointed out on twitter today, he can't remember a player who served in a town as long as Kaberle generating such a "meh" reaction about a trade from fans and media.

b_illin
02-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Broken record I know, but Burke is foolish to deal Kaberle right now...wait til the deadline! (and I don't fucking care if he likes to get deals done in advance of the deadline...stop being so fucking stubborn you egomaniacal fuck!)

two24four
02-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Writer believes that IS wheeler, and it's because Toronto holds no interest in him.

Good, as I have said I dont wnat him as well.

Was reading abit of the Toronto Sun last night, one of the writers in there said while in Boston the other night he heard the Leafs wanted Krejci as the player off the B's roster.

madsci
02-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Was reading abit of the Toronto Sun last, one of the writers in there said while in Boston the other night he heard the Leafs wanted Krejci as the player off the B's roster.

Doubt they'd ever make that deal, unless it was to secure Richards.

For B's fans looking to get a handle on Kaberle, here's Simmons blog (I mentioned his twitter above)

http://blogs.canoe.ca/sportszone/general/understanding-kaberle/

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Krejci is going nowhere.

two24four
02-17-2011, 01:22 PM
csnne.com in Boston is saying the B's are close to getting Kabby, but they think the B's are sending Stuart to Chicago.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
They say for what in return?

Would have to be a pick I'd imagine.

two24four
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
They say for what in return?

Would have to be a pick I'd imagine.

Yeah that's what is says.

Then they think Boston will send the Leafs a draft pick, Wheeler, + a prospect for Kabby.

two24four
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Burke just said himself on NHL Live that he's not close to a deal with Kabby going to Boston, he also said Kabby only being into going to Boston is also not true.

Said he's talking to numerous teams about Kabby, and that Kabby still has not waived his NTC.

I think he's trying to play teams off each other now, to try and drive up the price for Kabby.

madsci
02-17-2011, 01:45 PM
yeah, and also maybe throw a bit of water on the Kabby story, which could get out of hand. It could be days, and with the Leafs playing well all of a sudden, doesn't want this to derail the team.

Of course, all this pressure on Kabby seems to have freed up Kessel a bit, eh? :lol:

moans
02-17-2011, 02:01 PM
yeah, and also maybe throw a bit of water on the Kabby story, which could get out of hand. It could be days, and with the Leafs playing well all of a sudden, doesn't want this to derail the team.

Of course, all this pressure on Kabby seems to have freed up Kessel a bit, eh? :lol:

He's been playing like this for the past 6-7 games. The puick just wasn't going in. He seriously could have put up 2-3 more goals last ngiht too.

two24four
02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
He's been playing like this for the past 6-7 games. The puick just wasn't going in. He seriously could have put up 2-3 more goals last ngiht too.

Agreed, Kessel has looked really good since coming back from the AS game.

two24four
02-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Bob McKenzie twitter.

As to BOS radio report, my take, FWIW: 0 chance Kaberle deal today; Wheeler not part of it but likely to move elsewhere if Kaberle deal done

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 02:41 PM
jesus christ, this needs to end already

two24four
02-17-2011, 02:43 PM

Agreed.

I think Burke is trying to use the media to drive up the price.

canuckthug
02-17-2011, 02:48 PM

i know exactly how you feel, its ridiculous.. phaneuf6 last year with all his Kaberle for Hodgson talk/hearsay was a bit much... at least hes not sayin Sequin for Kabby!!

phaneuf6
02-17-2011, 03:00 PM
i know exactly how you feel, its ridiculous.. phaneuf6 last year with all his Kaberle for Hodgson talk/hearsay was a bit much... at least hes not sayin Sequin for Kabby!!

I could ask Seguin how he feels about that suggestion if you like? :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me to see Cody moved from Vancouver at some point. That's all I'm saying.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 03:23 PM
tons of new england sources saying it's done, the return being wheeler and boston's 1st...but bobby mac and lebrun saying not done.

if that's the return, you guys win big time, congrats.

two24four
02-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I will be really happy if the Leafs can get Boston's 1st round pick.

Looking at some other boards, I see I'm not the only Leafs fan who does not want Wheeler, pretty much everyone is saying they want know part of him coming to Toronto.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Yep, I see the same. And I really don't get it. Moreso for toronto, who is so bereft of talent.

two24four
02-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Yep, I see the same. And I really don't get it. Moreso for toronto, who is so bereft of talent.

It's because he's a big dude who plays like he's 5'8, and really does not play like a guy who was drafted 5th overall. Most nights when I watch Boston play, for the most part, I dont notice him on the ice.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Definitely doesn't use his size effectively. Not sure that is the only quality you look for, but that's just me.

madsci
02-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Definitely doesn't use his size effectively. Not sure that is the only quality you look for, but that's just me.

You think *he* doesn't use his size effectively? Wait until you have to watch Kaberle play in his own end.

moans
02-17-2011, 04:13 PM

Blake Wheeler is excatly what we do not need. A big guy who plays like a pussy and has average ability. He's also a RFA and we have no use for him moving forward.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm loving this site if you guys get Wheeler, lol.

Anyway, I'll back off, because it's seeming like I'm a huge fan of his and truthfully I'm not.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 04:17 PM
You think *he* doesn't use his size effectively? Wait until you have to watch Kaberle play in his own end.

I've already talked about that, it's one of the reasons I don't even want Kaberle in Boston.

b_illin
02-17-2011, 04:19 PM

Not at all...the more they talk about it, the steeper the price gets or so one would think. :drevil:

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Blake Wheeler is excatly what we do not need. A big guy who plays like a pussy and has average ability. He's also a RFA and we have no use for him moving forward.

Ps, I really wanted to make a truculence joke, here.

wendel_
02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Without the NTC, I'd be disappointed with getting Wheeler in return...but with the NTC, Burke really has no leg to stand on for negotiations, if the rumors are true of the list being very small for Kaberle.
So, Im not sure we can be disappointed with anything we get in return. Look at what Ott got back for Heatley. I know the situation was different, but there also were the factors of: a guy with a NTC wanting to decide where he would go. There's no way you can get close to market value in this scenario.

two24four
02-17-2011, 04:31 PM

Sums it up nice.

If Wheeler is coming back this way, then Boston's 1st round pick and/or a propsect better be in the deal, that would make the deal so much better. Still would not be a fan of Wheeler coming to the Leafs.

moans
02-17-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm loving this site if you guys get Wheeler, lol.

Anyway, I'll back off, because it's seeming like I'm a huge fan of his and truthfully I'm not.

It's funny because I actually used to be a huge Wheeler fan. Now, not so much. If he could somehow learn to use his size he'd be a solid player. I'd like to see us acquire Colbourn plus your first but that might be wishful thinking. Colbourn and a second is more likely.

phaneuf6
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
madsci isn't a huge Kabby fan? The guy doesn't really need to use his size. He's not physical, and he's not blindingly fast, but he can control the tempo of a game.

two24four
02-17-2011, 05:03 PM
It's funny because I actually used to be a huge Wheeler fan. Now, not so much. If he could somehow learn to use his size he'd be a solid player. I'd like to see us acquire Colbourn plus your first but that might be wishful thinking. Colbourn and a second is more likely.

Colbourn, Hamill, Spooner would be fine with me if the Leafs are getting a prospect back.

Does Boston have a 2nd round pick now? they just sent one to Ottawa for Kelly.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Minny's from the Kobasew deal.

two24four
02-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Ottawa traded Jarko Ruutu to the Ducks for a 6th round pick.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Wheeler scores first shift, lol.

two24four
02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Stuart is not in the lineup for Boston tonight.

NeelyDan
02-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Been a healthy scratch 8 of the last 10 games, though.

madsci
02-17-2011, 08:53 PM
madsci isn't a huge Kabby fan? The guy doesn't really need to use his size. He's not physical, and he's not blindingly fast, but he can control the tempo of a game.

Yeah, I think Kabby's great don't get me wrong. Watchjng him come out of our end with the puck, making smart passes, he's great. He's a top pair defenseman pretty much anywhere in the league. but he plays soft in front of his net, despite being 6'+, and I think his "PP QB" reputation is overrated.

two24four
02-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I think Kabby's great don't get me wrong. Watchjng him come out of our end with the puck, making smart passes, he's great. He's a top pair defenseman pretty much anywhere in the league. but he plays soft in front of his net, despite being 6'+, and I think his "PP QB" reputation is overrated.

That's not his job though, that's why they have Schenn, Aulie, Komi, they are the shut down d-man, while Kabby is the puck mover, it would be the same in Boston, they have guys who do all the dirty work in front of the net. Have you watched Mike Green play?

I dont know how Kabby is 'overrated' as the PP QB, he's not the best at it in the NHL, but he's pretty close to it.

True sign I think that the talks have slowed down abit, 'Kaberle' is not longer trending on twitter for the frist time in two days, haha.

phaneuf6
02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Anderson to Ottawa for Elliot, straight up.

b_illin
02-18-2011, 10:50 AM
That doesn't make a lot of sense

phaneuf6
02-18-2011, 10:52 AM
That doesn't make a lot of sense

Well, I'm assuming Anderson will finish out the year and then Ottawa will have no interest in resigning him, letting Lehner and Brodeur battle for the starting job next year. Meanwhile, Elliot is an RFA so Colorado might tender him an offer and maybe go after another goalie, letting Budaj go.

madsci
02-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Well, I'm assuming Anderson will finish out the year and then Ottawa will have no interest in resigning him, letting Lehner and Brodeur battle for the starting job next year. Meanwhile, Elliot is an RFA so Colorado might tender him an offer and maybe go after another goalie, letting Budaj go.

Yep, I think this is it. OTT is really dumping everything, though this deal is a little weird.Anderson is irrelevant this year and then he's gone. Unless, I guess, if he picks it back up and then OTT has an opportunity to sign him long term before he becomes UFA. But if he's gone, then all OTT has done is take on a pile more contract this year. They could have let Elliott walk as RFA and be in the same spot without paying Anderson.

So what's in this for Ottawa?

phaneuf6
02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Yep, I think this is it. OTT is really dumping everything, though this deal is a little weird.Anderson is irrelevant this year and then he's gone. Unless, I guess, if he picks it back up and then OTT has an opportunity to sign him long term before he becomes UFA. But if he's gone, then all OTT has done is take on a pile more contract this year. They could have let Elliott walk as RFA and be in the same spot without paying Anderson.

So what's in this for Ottawa?

We also don't know if maybe Murray promised Elliot that he'd send him somewhere where he'd have the chance to be a starter down the road.

Raja
02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
There is no way Ottawa goes into next season with Lehner/Brodeur as their goalies.

madsci
02-18-2011, 11:33 AM
But Anderson has 'Senators goalie curse' written all over him. They don't want him.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:01 PM
There is already talk that Ottawa might have traded for Anderson because rumor was Burke was looking at him for Toronto maybe, and we all know what happend a few years ago at the draft with Burke and Murray over Kadri, haha.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Pierre LeBrun twitter.

Ok gotta turn this off, plane is moving LOL, but source close to deal says Kaberle trade is real close... Talk in 4 hours !

madsci
02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
There is already talk that Ottawa might have traded for Anderson because rumor was Burke was looking at him for Toronto maybe, and we all know what happend a few years ago at the draft with Burke and Murray over Kadri, haha.

lol - maybe Burke has a revolutionary new way to play hockey that only involves goalies and defensemen on the roster.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Alot of media people are saying if a Kabby deals happens, it will happen today.

They also think the deal will be Boston's 1st pick + Colborne for Kabby.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Bob McKenzie twitter.

It looks as though Tomas Kaberle has been asked to waive his NTC to go to BOS and there is every reason to believe he will waive it.

boredguy
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
If that ends up being the deal i'm happy with it, Colborne is a good prospect and another 1st rounder is never a bad thing.

The Avs/Sens deal really is strange, not sure i see much upside for either team.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
If that ends up being the deal i'm happy with it, Colborne is a good prospect and another 1st rounder is never a bad thing.

The Avs/Sens deal really is strange, not sure i see much upside for either team.

Agreed 100%, that will be a great deal for the Leafs if true, the other prospect if not Colborne sounds like maybe Spooner, which I will still be happy with.

Even better if no Wheeler coming back this way, sounds like Toronto talked Boston out of trading him here.

phaneuf6
02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I'd still rather Burke got off the NCAA spree and traded for some CHL guys. They're much more NHL ready than NCAA players.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd still rather Burke got off the NCAA spree and traded for some CHL guys. They're much more NHL ready than NCAA players.

I agree, but this a good deal for the Leafs if it is true.

Colbrone has played 55 games this season in the AHL and has 26 Pts as a rookie.

phaneuf6
02-18-2011, 12:35 PM
So who fills in on D now? If it's Lebda then we've pretty much thrown in the towel on the playoff picture.. Burke should make a minor deal for a rental d-man.

Or, you think the Sens would move Lee? Probably not eh?

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
So who fills in on D now? If it's Lebda then we've pretty much thrown in the towel on the playoff picture.. Burke should make a minor deal for a rental d-man.

Or, you think the Sens would move Lee? Probably not eh?

Maybe he flips one of these 1st round picks + something else for Bogo, who know's.

NeelyDan
02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Colborne is a project, but has a decent ceiling. Good prospect. I feel it's an overpayment, but good on you guys for getting decent return on a UFA that likely would have walked.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Colborne has great size for a centre as well, 6'5 212lbs, 21 years old.

NeelyDan
02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Colborne has great size for a centre as well, 6'5 212lbs, 21 years old.

Yes, but worth noting is he is famous for the same thing you guys all hate about Wheeler - he plays like a sub 6-footer.

b_illin
02-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Colbourne sounds a bit like Wheeler, non? (big guy, doesn't use his size...although that size is recent I suppose)

I still think Burke should wait til closer to the deadline...his plan better work.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Darren Dreger.

Colborne, Boston's 1st in 2011 and a conditional pick for Kaberle the basis of the trade. Trade call still has to be made to close the deal.

Everything I have heard/read on Colborne sounds good, I have never seen him play myself, so I really cant say.

phaneuf6
02-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Here's to hoping Colborne works out.

two24four
02-18-2011, 12:57 PM
The conditional pick the Leafs get back is if Kabby resigns with Boston in the off season.

Also sounds like it's a done deal now.

Good work Burke.

two24four
02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Darren Dreger twitter.

Bruins may have another deal involving Blake Wheeler in the works. Leafs not involved.

dw13
02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Not official yet, but BOS trading Wheeler and Stuart to ATL for Peverley and Valabik. Pending trade call.

Bob McKenzie

two24four
02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Bob McKenzie twitter.

Not official yet, but BOS trading Wheeler and Stuart to ATL for Peverley and Valabik. Pending trade call.

phaneuf6
02-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Pair Valabik with Chara? As Pierre would say, "That's a lot of human being".

two24four
02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Pair Valabik with Chara? As Pierre would say, "That's a lot of human being".

:lol::lol:

I think they want Kabby to play with Chara.

two24four
02-18-2011, 01:39 PM
The conditional pick the Leafs get from Boston if he resigns with Boston OR if Boston goes to the NHL finals this year, is a 2nd round pick in 2012.

NeelyDan
02-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Valabik's in the fucking A. I hate this deal. Both these deals.

boredguy
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Boston has to be careful they don't screw up the chemistry in the room with all these moves.

boredguy
02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Also, deadline day is gonna be a snorefest, everyone's making their moves early.

two24four
02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Also, deadline day is gonna be a snorefest, everyone's making their moves early.

I was just thinking that, still 10 days till the 28th, more time for teams to make moves, trade shows this year might be pretty bad.

Kaboominator
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Valabik's in the fucking A. I hate this deal. Both these deals.

Really? I am happier than a pig in shit. Peverley is a Mike Richards jr. but makes a lot less money. As a whole, these moves addressed a lot of issues in Boston.

Kaberle - puck moving D, PP specialsit
Peverley - FO master, top PP, kills penalties. (his -16 is ATL, trust me)
Kelly - character two way never quit guy. does it all and chips in.

Nows the time man. Shit looks good.

two24four
02-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Sounds like Ian White is going to San Jose.

NeelyDan
02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Really? I am happier than a pig in shit. Peverley is a Mike Richards jr. but makes a lot less money. As a whole, these moves addressed a lot of issues in Boston.

Kaberle - puck moving D, PP specialsit
Peverley - FO master, top PP, kills penalties. (his -16 is ATL, trust me)
Kelly - character two way never quit guy. does it all and chips in.

Nows the time man. Shit looks good.

I'm sure Kaberle will improve the powerplay. What I don;t like is assuming 100% risk for two very good assets.

two24four
02-18-2011, 04:57 PM
St. Louis traded D- Eric Brewer to T-Bay for a 3rd round pick + a prospect, not sure who yet.

boredguy
02-18-2011, 05:49 PM
White to Sharks for a 2nd rounder. Seems like a lot for him, he got so over-rated by Leafers last season.

MrScientist
02-18-2011, 05:52 PM
St. Louis traded D- Eric Brewer to T-Bay for a 3rd round pick + a prospect, not sure who yet.

3rd and Brock Beukeboom.

two24four
02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I like Beukeboom alot, good hard nosed d-man, people in St. Louis will like him.

szuturon
02-19-2011, 05:22 AM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354489

The St. Louis Blues have traded defenceman Erik Johnson (http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=erik+johnson), forward Jay McClement (http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=jay+mcclement) and a conditional first-round draft pick to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for forward Chris Stewart (http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=chris+stewart), rookie defenceman Kevin Shattenkirk (http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=kevin+shattenkirk) and a conditional second-round draft pick.
The draft picks could be used in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, but there are conditions that could change that. If the Blues end up with a Top-10 draft selection, they can choose to transfer their 2012 pick instead. If that occurs, the Avalanche will also send their 2012 second-round pick to the Blues instead of their 2011 pick.

What is Colorado up to...? I don't understand what they've done in the past 24 hours... i know they're not looking so hot this year but how is removing 2 of your best young players supposed to help you move forward? was that 1st round pick really so important?

two24four
02-19-2011, 11:14 AM
I dont know why they would trade Stewart, inless he asked to be traded.

MrScientist
02-19-2011, 11:14 AM
I like Beukeboom alot, good hard nosed d-man, people in St. Louis will like him.

His concussion history and current down season are scary though.

phaneuf6
02-19-2011, 11:16 AM
His concussion history and current down season are scary though.

Wouldn't be concerned about his 'down year'. The Soo sucks this year.

two24four
02-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Wouldn't be concerned about his 'down year'. The Soo sucks this year.

Yeah that, and alot of platers have 'down years' playing for the Soo, players really do get unhappy playing up there, it happens alot, he will be fine.

Playing for the Soo takes alot of Jr players, they have the most travel of any of the 20 OHL teams, add in school etc....they are on the bus more then anything else during the season.

NeelyDan
02-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Uh, wow?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/02/18/17331801.html

two24four
02-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Uh, wow?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/02/18/17331801.html

I think the only way Burke trades him is if he gets ALOT back for him, seeing as he gave up two 1st's and a 2nd to get him. Right now I cant see Kessel's trade value being that high.

Chilly_Willy
02-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Any Kessel roumers are complete BS. No one is safe on the Toronto team but no team is going to give up what Burke would demand for Kessel. Complete waste of time just Toronto media stiring the pot because with Kaberle traded there is no more news. Perfect example of why you have to have ballz of steel to last in Toronto.

two24four
02-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Any Kessel roumers are complete BS. No one is safe on the Toronto team but no team is going to give up what Burke would demand for Kessel. Complete waste of time just Toronto media stiring the pot because with Kaberle traded there is no more news. Perfect example of why you have to have ballz of steel to last in Toronto.

Good post, this is how I feel as well.

Media has to make some kind of news leading up to the 28th with all these trades going down so early, they have about 12 hours of show coming up where they might need to fill about 8 hours of it with the media just sitting around talking about trades that went down this week.

two24four
02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Rumors that James Neal could be going to PIT, with Goligoski going the other way.

two24four
02-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Souray cleared waivers, back to the AHL for him.

CGY put Hagman on waivers today.

Hamsterkill
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Rumors that James Neal could be going to PIT, with Goligoski going the other way.

I'd be sad to see Goli go, but I wouldn't be opposed to that deal.

bearcats
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354819

neal and niskanen for goligoski.............

fabulous trade for Pitt

two24four
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I love this trade for the Pens, Neal is a good player, he will look nice playing on Crosby's wing once he's back.

I think this is the Stars clearing some cap space to resign B. Richards.

WIS
02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
I love this trade for the Pens, Neal is a good player, he will look nice playing on Crosby's wing once he's back.

I think this is the Stars clearing some cap space to resign B. Richards.
So where is Kunitz going to end up? I thought he complimented Sid nicely.

bearcats
02-21-2011, 04:46 PM
kunitz will end up where he belongs...on the 2nd line

Raja
02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
This trade is huge for Neal owners. Seems like a ton to give up for Goligoski but with 2.5m extra they might be able to keep/re-sign Richards. Hopefully this means Dallas thinks Benn is ready for a full time top 6 role.

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Wow Shero, well played! I'm excited to see what Neal can do in a Pens uni. Should give a huge boost to the wing production in Pittsburgh. Sad to see Goli go but we are quite deep on the back end.

Hamsterkill
02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Wow, I'll be interested to see if Niskanen improves with the change in scenery as well.

two24four
02-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Tampa Bay traded G Dan Ellis to the Ducks for G Curtis McElhinney.

phaneuf6
02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Svatos claimed by Ottawa.

phaneuf6
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Kovalev to Pittsburgh.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355204

two24four
02-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Not shocked, had a feeling the Pens would trade for him.

two24four
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Wow all Ottawa gets back is a 7th round pick, that could end up being a 6th round pick.

Gambit
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I've had a hunch this one going to happen for about a month and a half now. Its why I went out and traded low for Kovalev in my keeper league. If Kovalev re-signs in PIT this summer, total win for me...lol

phaneuf6
02-24-2011, 12:41 PM
I've had a hunch this one going to happen for about a month and a half now. Its why I went out and traded low for Kovalev in my keeper league. If Kovalev re-signs in PIT this summer, total win for me...lol

Why?

Hamsterkill
02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I'll take Kovalev on the Pens at that price...

madsci
02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Wow. Sens get a 1st for Fisher, 2nd for Kelly, 6th for Ruutu and a 7th for Kovalev.

So for a team looking to make a splash in the playoffs, Kovalev is worth about the 200th best 18 year old out there.

Ouch.

two24four
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Pierre LeBrun twitter.

Montreal acquires Sopel and Dawes from Atlanta for Maxwell and a 4th

Rocklobster
02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I'll take Kovalev on the Pens at that price...
no kidding, he'll fit in well too. then hopefully retire lol

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Kovalev back to Pittsburgh? That would be interesting. . .

Wow I was only half serious a week or two ago when I mentioned Kovy with the Pens. :lol:

Not a bad move at all. Hopefully he can keep his work ethic high here down the stretch. He's had a great Feb.

madsci
02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Hopefully he can keep his work ethic high here down the stretch.

:lol::hic::lol:

Can't. stop. laughing. enough. to. type...

Sponge Bong Beer Pants
02-24-2011, 05:04 PM
:lol::hic::lol:

Can't. stop. laughing. enough. to. type...

:lol: I know. Now that he got out of Ottawa he will probably stop scoring again. It's a shame b/c the guy is really super talented but he comes off as a lazy bum 90% of the time.

madsci
02-24-2011, 05:08 PM
:lol: I know. Now that he got out of Ottawa he will probably stop scoring again. It's a shame b/c the guy is really super talented but he comes off as a lazy bum 90% of the time.

I lived in Montreal when he was there and I've lived in Ottawa while he's been here. The guy's got talent, no question. That just makes him 100x more frustrating to watch.

Of course, in the playoffs, he's all heart and effort...

YouTube - Glen Murray wins it in overtime while Kovalev fakes an injury

Gambit
02-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Looks like Stillman going back to Carolina, according to Bob McKenzie.

Also, rumors Weiss have been traded.

two24four
02-25-2011, 04:09 PM
So there has been one minor deal today, is this the calm before the storm, or has the storm already gone thorugh the last few weeks with all these trades?

Hamsterkill
02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
So there has been one minor deal today, is this the calm before the storm, or has the storm already gone thorugh the last few weeks with all these trades?

Phoenix might have got more involved if the sale had been done by now, but their NHL-imposed budget is still in place.

two24four
02-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Wonder if FLA is close to dealing Wideman, he played every game this season till tonight, he was a healthy scratch.

CayugaPosse
02-26-2011, 04:49 AM

For a guy that's a "lazy bum", and is literally one of the most villified hockey players of this era, I think it's worth noting he sure did carve out a nice career.

1017 points, and if you look at his career numbers, there's never been a time he was super amazing and then got lazy. He's been pretty consistent.

It's easy to argue "ya but you can see how talented he is", but sometimes that talent just doesn't equal results. For as talented as he may be, he has a ton of holes in his game.

I think it's time people just accept that Alex was a good, but never great player.

two24four
02-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Blue Jackets claim Rivet off waivers, Caps claim Strum, Flyers claim Boynton.

madsci
02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
For a guy that's a "lazy bum", and is literally one of the most villified hockey players of this era, I think it's worth noting he sure did carve out a nice career.

1017 points, and if you look at his career numbers, there's never been a time he was super amazing and then got lazy. He's been pretty consistent.

It's easy to argue "ya but you can see how talented he is", but sometimes that talent just doesn't equal results. For as talented as he may be, he has a ton of holes in his game.

I think it's time people just accept that Alex was a good, but never great player.

All well said.

Here's a question for guys that played at a higher level than I did: Both in Montreal and Ottawa, every once in a while on the PP, Kovalev would get the puck on the sideboards, take about three steps in and then roof an unstoppable snapper over the goalie's shoulder. And I would wonder to myself - if you can do that, why don't you do that every time?

A note about Kovalev - he should never have left Montreal - he was "l'artiste" there. Might be the one hockey market where the perceived lack of effort/consistency was chaulked up to an artist's temperament and appreciated as a rare gift.

madsci
02-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Blue Jackets claim Rivet off waivers, Caps claim Strum, Flyers claim Boynton.

And Leclaire, Conklin, and McElhinney all on waivers

Hamsterkill
02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
And Leclaire, Conklin, and McElhinney all on waivers
Tampa traded for McElhinney and then waived him? Just trying to dump salary, I guess, then.

szuturon
02-26-2011, 02:44 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1178622405/twitter-bob_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/#%21/TSNBobMcKenzie) @TSNBobMcKenzie (http://twitter.com/#%21/TSNBobMcKenzie) Bob McKenzie

Hearing FLA trades McCabe to NYR for Tim Kennedy and 3rd rd pic.

5 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/41583124710309888) via Twitter for BlackBerry® (http://blackberry.com/twitter) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

@DarrenDreger (http://twitter.com/#%21/DarrenDreger) Darren Dreger
Mccabe for Kennedy and a 3rd. Confirmed

1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/DarrenDreger/status/41584144504995840) via Twitter for BlackBerry® (http://blackberry.com/twitter) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)
just happened.

two24four
02-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Bob McKenzie twitter.

Hearing FLA trades McCabe to NYR for Tim Kennedy and 3rd rd pic

b_illin
02-26-2011, 02:51 PM
^ a minute late and a dollar short! :lol:

two24four
02-26-2011, 02:52 PM

meh, could care less, was just letting everyone know.

b_illin
02-26-2011, 02:53 PM
meh, could care less, was just letting everyone know.

I know...just busting your balls :p

two24four
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I guess McCabe got the clue that FLA would not be resigning him in the summer.

two24four
02-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Alot of trades have gone down, trying to think who's left that could be traded.

B. Richards
Weiss
Arnott
Liles
Wideman
MacArthur (if Leafs can't resign him)
Hemsky
Penner
Antropov (heard rumors they are shopping him)
Phillips
Neil

HT9
02-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Add David Booth to that list as well. Only a couple of days away 'til the deadline, should be fun! I've read that Hemsky could be on his way to Washington. That could get silly pretty quickly, he has boatloads of talent.

two24four
02-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Add David Booth to that list as well. Only a couple of days away 'til the deadline, should be fun! I've read that Hemsky could be on his way to Washington. That could get silly pretty quickly, he has boatloads of talent.

Good call on Booth, I know I'm leaving some players off.

Yeah I heard about Hemsky to WSH as well. I know the Kings want him but EDM want B. Schenn back, LA is saying they are not trading Schenn, right now anyways, that could change.

If EDM can some how get B. Schenn that would be sick, they are going to have another high pick at the draft as well.

szuturon
02-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Heh I just happened to be catching up on my Twitter when it went thru.

phaneuf6
02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Anybody else catch Kypreos' tweet this morning? :lol:

phaneuf6
02-26-2011, 05:20 PM
For those who didn't..

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/553102/HAHAKyper_medium.JPG

two24four
02-26-2011, 05:26 PM
haha, yeah that was awesome, pretty sure he was trying to text someone. He's been taking alot of heat for it.

Says he might talk about it tonight on HC tonight.

Gambit
02-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Doesn't seem likely Florida will trade Booth, Weiss or Vokoun unless they get an offer they can't refuse. Vokoun has a NTC I do believe.

two24four
02-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Kypreos just said on HC that the Panthers are talking to teams about Weiss, he said the Leafs are still looking into dealing for him, but the Panthers want Kadri, he does not think the Leafs will trade Kadri.

moans
02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
If BB trades KAdri for Weiss I'm gonna flip my lid.

two24four
02-26-2011, 06:21 PM
If BB trades KAdri for Weiss I'm gonna flip my lid.

Yeah I would not trade Kadri.

phaneuf6
02-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Phillips resigns in Ottawa, 3 years @ 9.25 million, including a NMC.

Wow, really cheap for Phillips. Think he could've gotten more in the offseason but I guess staying in OTT means that much to him. Scratch his name off the list for tomorrow.

two24four
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
He must really like it in Ottawa.

dw13
02-27-2011, 11:29 PM
He must really like it in Ottawa.

You have to admire that. Staying there even through the rebuild. Staying with one team is too rare these days.

dw13
02-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Brad Boyes has been dealt to Buffalo.

from an STL guy.

phaneuf6
02-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Brad Boyes has been dealt to Buffalo.

from an STL guy.

For a 2nd round pick. Good deal for the Sabres. Always liked Brad from when I went to his hockey camp as a kid.

dw13
02-27-2011, 11:43 PM
For a 2nd round pick. Good deal for the Sabres. Always liked Brad from when I went to his hockey camp as a kid.

I still rate him as a player. Hope this gives him a kick in the ass.

bearcats
02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/feature/?id=11986

tsn is saying boyes for a 3rd rounder in 2011....either way I think its a good deal for both clubs...

St Louis is going to be scrarry good in 3-5 years if they can keep the core together

two24four
02-28-2011, 12:04 AM

One of the worst trades the Leafs ever made was trading Boyes back in the day before he ever played an NHL game.

Hamsterkill
02-28-2011, 12:10 AM
I like the deal. Though I kinda wish we could clean up some of our overpaid core.

phaneuf6
02-28-2011, 12:18 AM
I like the deal. Though I kinda wish we could clean up some of our overpaid core.

Vanek and Pominville?

two24four
02-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Have to love TSN, doing a pre trade show right now till 1, then back on air in 7 hours.

Hamsterkill
02-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Vanek and Pominville?
Mostly Vanek. Pominville's overpaid, but at least he doesn't take many shifts off -- he's always trying. I could do without Connolly, too.

wendel_
02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Not a trade, but it happened on deadline day, and probably doesn't deserve its own thread...Kings sign Justin Williams for four years, 14.6 million, as per Bob McKenzie twitter.
3.65 million isn't crazy given his production when healthy, but 4 years I think is crazy. He's as injury plagued as Tim Connolly - If I'm taking a chance and giving him 4 years, there's no way i pay him 3.65 million

Hamsterkill
02-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Pretty quiet day so far...

two24four
02-28-2011, 10:36 AM
FLA traded Radek Dvorak to ATL, not sure for what yet.

Hamsterkill
02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
FLA traded Radek Dvorak to ATL, not sure for what yet.

I'm seeing Bergfors and Rismiller being the return.

two24four
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm seeing Bergfors and Rismiller being the return.

ATL get's a 5th round pick as well.

Hamsterkill
02-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Wideman to the Caps for a 3rd rounder and some guy I never heard of is showing up everywhere now.

two24four
02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Not a trade, but DET resigns Howard two years $4.5M.

That's another player who would have been a UFA this summer but won't be now.

two24four
02-28-2011, 12:53 PM
CLB Klesla to PHX for Upshall and Lepisto.

boredguy
02-28-2011, 01:22 PM
:zzz:

two24four
02-28-2011, 02:10 PM

habsfan1
02-28-2011, 02:11 PM
:zzz:

50 minutes left, you're right, nothing really interesting at all.

two24four
02-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Penner to the Kings for prospect Teubert and a 1st round pick.

habsfan1
02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
I think there were just to many teams in contention for the playoffs this year to make the trade deadline interesting.

two24four
02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
TSN is say they are hearing Arnott has waived his NTC for the Caps.