PDA

View Full Version : Leafs trade Beauchemin for Lupul, pick and prospect

chadw01
02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
TSN reports that Anahiem has traded Joffrey Lupul, Jake Gardiner and a 2013 conditional draft pick to Toronto for defenseman Francois Beauchemin.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353098

Lupul's value definitely goes up.. whatever Francois had with the Buds is next to nothing now.

Great trade Burkie!

mike550
02-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Burke does it again. The key to this deal is absolutely Jake Gardiner. The kid has 30 points in 30 games in the NCAA and was a pretty high pick a few years ago. That's a nice steal for Burke. The pick they got could also be flipped in another deal. Lupul has a terrible contract and has declined every year in the league. He's barley a top 6 forward anymore and is joining his fourth team (fifth if you count the Ducks twice) Maybe he can turn things around in Toronto but more likely not....

Beauch going back to Anaheim is huge for them but has very little fantasy relevance.

Raja
02-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Burke does it again? Like he's made good trades before you mean? Weird. Also, he's in the WCHA not NCAA. It's a fair deal for both teams considering though. The pick is either a 4th or 6th pick though, so if it's in a deal later it probably won't make much of an impact.

moans
02-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Burke does it again? Like he's made good trades before you mean? Weird. Also, he's in the WCHA not NCAA. It's a fair deal for both teams considering though. The pick is either a 4th or 6th pick though, so if it's in a deal later it probably won't make much of an impact.

Phaneuf deal was solid. Kessel's the jury's still out on. Giggy for Blake and ToskaLOL. I would consider two of the three to be good deals for the gents in blue and white.

two24four
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Phaneuf deal was solid. Kessel's the jury's still out on. Giggy for Blake and ToskaLOL. I would consider two of the three to be good deals for the gents in blue and white.

Dont forget in the past he traded up at the draft get both Sedin's in VAN, and he also traded up to get Pronger 2nd overall back in '93 when he was the GM in Hartford.

Burke has made some really good trades.

Raja
02-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I was generally talking about Toronto, I agree with Sedins and the like. None of the trades he's made with Toronto has made the team any better, so we'll see.

EDIT: I'm not a fan of Burke admittedly, but I think if Ron Wilson left they'd be a better team and he'd be a better GM for it.

szuturon
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I was generally talking about Toronto, I agree with Sedins and the like. None of the trades he's made with Toronto has made the team any better, so we'll see.

EDIT: I'm not a fan of Burke admittedly, but I think if Ron Wilson left they'd be a better team and he'd be a better GM for it.

People who bash Burke need to bash him for the right reasons... you bash the man for his stubborness... and not much more. He has done a fine job in creating this new Leafs roster with very little assets to begin with. The Wilson thing is the only thing I really hate Burke for. I understand Wilson was selected by him to coach team USA and it wasn't really a good idea to fire him last year... but there's very little sense in keeping a guy around that some of your key players hate. He's generated no results...why's he still here? Paul Maurice never shoulda been let go. He gave us the best shot at playoffs with not much better of a roster.

mike550
02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
He saw potential in Clarke McArthur......looks how that has paid off.

Trading for Dion and Giggy were both very good moves. Phaneuf maxed out in his third year in year league, doesn't mean it wasn't a good deal. Giggy has given them decent goaltending up until right now when Reimer became hot. Before Giggy, the Leafs had the worst goaltending in the league with Toskala and Raycroft before him.

And while the jury is still out on the Kessel deal.....it was a bold move.

He s a GM who knows how shake things up like no other, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, at least he takes chances.

hex27
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Burke does it again. The key to this deal is absolutely Jake Gardiner. The kid has 30 points in 30 games in the NCAA and was a pretty high pick a few years ago. That's a nice steal for Burke. The pick they got could also be flipped in another deal. Lupul has a terrible contract and has declined every year in the league. He's barley a top 6 forward anymore and is joining his fourth team (fifth if you count the Ducks twice) Maybe he can turn things around in Toronto but more likely not....

Beauch going back to Anaheim is huge for them but has very little fantasy relevance.

Lupul has not declined. he's had injury problems the last few years that held him back, but he's still a top 6 winger. he can score 30 goals in this league if he can just stay healthy.

Raja
02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
People who bash Burke need to bash him for the right reasons... you bash the man for his stubborness... and not much more. He has done a fine job in creating this new Leafs roster with very little assets to begin with. The Wilson thing is the only thing I really hate Burke for. I understand Wilson was selected by him to coach team USA and it wasn't really a good idea to fire him last year... but there's very little sense in keeping a guy around that some of your key players hate. He's generated no results...why's he still here? Paul Maurice never shoulda been let go. He gave us the best shot at playoffs with not much better of a roster.

I didn't bash Burke for being stubborn, I'm not sure where you got that from. He's an idiot for trying to skip the rebuild phase and go straight into competing again with a horrible roster by giving up future picks and such, which is what he's needed to begin with. I also edited my post to say the main reason I dislike him is because he's got a hard on for Wilson, it's ridiculous.

He saw potential in Clarke McArthur......looks how that has paid off.

Trading for Dion and Giggy were both very good moves. Phaneuf maxed out in his third year in year league, doesn't mean it wasn't a good deal. Giggy has given them decent goaltending up until right now when Reimer became hot. Before Giggy, the Leafs had the worst goaltending in the league with Toskala and Raycroft before him.

And while the jury is still out on the Kessel deal.....it was a bold move.

He s a GM who knows how shake things up like no other, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, at least he takes chances.

Phaneuf has been awful since coming to Toronto though. Giggy was solid for them for part of last year, but it was literally at the same time Gustavsson got hot too so it appeared to be unnecessary other than for cap reasons. It's not like they needed a veteran goalie for a playoff push, and him and Gustavsson play different styles so it's not like they brought him in as a mentor. After Toskala went to Calgary, he posted a 2.26gaa and .918sv% in his limited time there, so it's not like goaltending was really to blame anyways. Like I said up there, trying to turn garbage in to a competing team skipping rebuilding is poor management.

Lupul has not declined. he's had injury problems the last few years that held him back, but he's still a top 6 winger. he can score 30 goals in this league if he can just stay healthy.

He's never been on pace for 30, he'd literally need everything to go right for that to happen. Are 55 point players considered top 6? I'm not asking that sarcastically or anything, just curious what the general idea you guys think is.

hex27
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
He's never been on pace for 30, he'd literally need everything to go right for that to happen. Are 55 point players considered top 6? I'm not asking that sarcastically or anything, just curious what the general idea you guys think is.

he did have 10 goals in 23 games last year, which would have averaged out around 35 if he played a full season. he also had 20 in 56 games with the Flyers a few years ago. his problem is injuries. if he can stay healthy, he can easily score 30.

flyingfrog
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM
It's funny when teams that are nothing like the Flyers try to build like the flyers. The year the Flyers "tanked" all their top players got injured, the Leafs had one of the worst on paper teams and traded away their two first rounders for two years. Having said that, I never underestimate a fan's ability to only see the best in the team they root for, following sports shouldn't be the reason you fall into a pit of depression.