PDA

View Full Version : Goalie Rankings for February 9th

Raja
02-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Disclaimer: All of the following are based on my (hopefully) unbiased opinion and are in no way statistical fact. Factors going into my decisions include goalie skill, match up, career stats vs, and recent trends. How many goalies start reflects how much I write about them, usually. If you disagree about anything feel free to voice your opinion!

C = CONFIRMATION: All confirmations are listed below or click here (http://goaliestatus.com/)

Note: Sorry guys, I've really been trying to catch up on my sleep on days off so I take huge naps before finishing this stuff :lol: Also, a lot of rankings are a little skewed because I tend to move up goalies that have shutouts, or especially B2B shutouts.

Must Start
C Thomas vs MTL: In his last 7 games, Thomas' sv% has gone below .941 just once, down to a terrible .923. Uh oh! He really does have a poor record and stats against the Habs though.
Rinne @DET: While his stats look bad last game, personally I don't think 3 of the goals I remember seeing being his fault. Lucky for him he dominates the Red Wings, posting a 6-2-2 record with a 2.17gaa, .934sv%, and 3 shutouts; one of which he got last week.
Niemi @CLB: I don't know if Niittymaki is ready or not, but they might not have the option to sit Niemi. He has back to back shutouts (WSH and BOS, which is why he's up here) and has won 7 of his last 9.
Bryzgalov @DAL: Another goalie in the must start section because of back to back shutouts, it seems to be happening quite often recently. He has solid stats against Dallas to boot, so it's certainly a good start anyways.

Good Start
Backstrom vs COL: Backstrom seems to have found his early season groove and has been on fire since returning from injury. He's just 3-2, but has a better sv% than Thomas and very similar below 2gaa in that span.
C Lehtonen vs PHX: Lehtonen has lost 3 in a row, but granted against 3 of the best teams in the league. His sv% was still passable, so I'll wait another game before sending him down.
C Crawford @EDM: Crawford has had 1 bad game in about the last month, so unless he keeps getting sick Turco should be staying on the bench for the majority of the season.
C Kiprusoff vs OTT: The turn around from this team has been outstanding. Kipper has won 6 of his last 7, let in 2 goals or less in each of those wins, and had a sv% of .917 or better in all as well.
C Schneider vs ANA: Schenider took his first 2 regulation losses in a row just recently, but bounced back with a stellar win against Dallas. I'm a Luongo owner and never mind when he gets starts, because I greatly believe if his workload was bigger he wouldn't be putting up such great stats.

Toss Up
C Price @BOS: Price has let in 3 goals in 3 of his last 5 starts, all with sv% below .897. He's a phenomenal 12-2-2 against the Bruins though, so he should have a good game.
C Howard vs NSH: Howard seems to be finally turning it around again, with 3 solid wins in his last 4 games.
C Dubnyk vs CHI: Coming off of his first career shutout, Edmonton would be insane to not run with him down the stretch as a learning experience if anything. He's won 4 of his last 7 and been incredibly inconsistent, but he has more wins than Khabi does in the last 10 years, or something.
C McElhinney @VAN: Yet another goalie coming off a shutout, his last 3 games haven't been bad. I don't expect Hiller to miss much time though, but if he does I'd expect the Ducks to give Emery a shot over McElhinney, so keep an eye out.

Weak Start
C Mason vs SJS: In an article on Dobberhockey, it mentioned that Mason is having a similar start to his career as Ward did, except with a great roookie season instead of cup run. I looked into it, and if it pans out Mason should slightly improve next year, and really break out the year after.
C Anderson @MIN: He's lost 5 straight, and continues to let in tons of goals nearly every game.
C Lehner @CGY: He probably deserves to be a little higher, but Ottawa sucks. He took a loss against the Islanders last game, but was pretty phenomenal letting in just 1 goal on 24 shots in 38 minutes. I still think it's a bad idea keeping him in the NHL this year.

mike550
02-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Schneider is pretty much starting every third or fourth game. Way more than I expected but you're right Raja, he's putting up the best numbers of his career and has been by far my best player for the last two months. So whatever they got going in Vancouver is working just fine.

price+huet=success
02-09-2011, 05:46 PM
my gut tells me to bench howard.. toss up is an understatement.